|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is written on the message that Marius hurls through the window in Book VIII of Part III – Marius?
(a) “Ransom: 200 francs.”
(b) “The cops are here.”
(d) “Help me!”
2. What is the title of Book IX in Part IV – Saint Denis?
(a) “Javert Derailed.”
(b) “Little Gavroche.”
(c) “Where Are They Going?”
(d) “The Intestine of Leviathan.”
3. Whom does Gavroche overhear worrying about his finances in Book IV of Part IV – Saint Denis?
(a) Monsieur Thenardier.
(b) Monsieur Gillenormand.
(c) Father Mabeuf.
(d) Felix Tholomyes.
4. What thief pounces on Jean Valjean in Book IV of Part IV – Saint Denis?
5. Approximately how old is Gavroche in Book I of Part III – Marius?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Book IV’s title in Part IV – Saint Denis?
2. Gavroche pickpockets the thief who took Jean Valjean’s money and he throws it over whose wall in Book IV of Part IV – Saint Denis?
3. What is Eponine’s last name said to be in Book VIII of Part III – Marius?
4. How does Jean Valjean escape at the end of Book VIII of Part III – Marius?
5. What bacterial infection swept through Europe in 1832, killing over 18,000 people in Paris?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marius learn about his father from Mabeuf in Book III of Part III – Marius? How does this information affect Marius?
2. What does Gavroche do at the end of Book IV of Part IV – Saint Denis? Who benefits from Gavroche’s action?
3. What is the “Patron-Minette” and who comprises this group?
4. How does Gavroche go about helping two homeless children in Book VI of Part IV – Saint Denis? Who are these children?
5. What are Marius’s impressions of Cosette when he first sees her in Book VI of Part III – Marius?
6. What historical event is described in Book I of Part IV – Saint Denis? What consequences of this event does the narrator point out?
7. How does Gavroche help the revolutionaries in Book X of Part IV – Saint Denis?
8. What consumes Marius’s mind in Book II of Part IV – Saint Denis? Where does he spend his time?
9. What does Marius think about Cosette after finding what he believes to be her handkerchief in Book VI of Part III – Marius?
10. How does Marius inject himself into the lives of Cosette and Valjean in Book V of Part IV – Saint Denis?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)