|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Paris Uprising of 1832 also known as?
(a) The July Rebellion.
(b) The August Rebellion.
(c) The June Rebellion.
(d) The October Rebellion.
2. Gavroche pickpockets the thief who took Jean Valjean’s money and he throws it over whose wall in Book IV of Part IV – Saint Denis?
(a) Monsieur Gillenormand’s.
(b) Father Mabeuf’s.
(d) Marius Pontmercy’s.
3. Whom does Gavroche overhear worrying about his finances in Book IV of Part IV – Saint Denis?
(a) Monsieur Gillenormand.
(b) Father Mabeuf.
(c) Felix Tholomyes.
(d) Monsieur Thenardier.
4. After discovering the handkerchief he believes is Cosette’s, Marius re-nicknames her what in Part III – Marius?
5. In Book VI of Part IV – Saint Denis, Gavroche discovers two abandoned hungry children and uses his money to buy them food without realizing they are what?
(a) His cousins.
(b) Spies for the government.
(c) The policeman’s sons.
(d) His younger brothers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Book IV’s title in Part IV – Saint Denis?
2. Gavroche’s makeshift home in Book VI of Part IV – Saint Denis is located near the entrance of what?
3. What thief pounces on Jean Valjean in Book IV of Part IV – Saint Denis?
4. What group in 1830 supported the deposed Bourbon dynasty?
5. Where does Marius first see Cosette and Jean Valjean in Part III – Marius?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the “Patron-Minette” and who comprises this group?
2. Who raised Marius Pontmercy? How is this character described in Book II of Part III – Marius?
3. What are Marius’s impressions of Cosette when he first sees her in Book VI of Part III – Marius?
4. What consumes Marius’s mind in Book II of Part IV – Saint Denis? Where does he spend his time?
5. How does Marius inject himself into the lives of Cosette and Valjean in Book V of Part IV – Saint Denis?
6. How does Gavroche help the revolutionaries in Book X of Part IV – Saint Denis?
7. Why does Marius go to see his father in Book III of Part III – Marius? What does he find at his father’s home?
8. What exchange takes place between Marius and Monsieur Gillenormand in Book VIII of Part IV – Saint Denis?
9. What does Gavroche do at the end of Book IV of Part IV – Saint Denis? Who benefits from Gavroche’s action?
10. What does Marius learn about his father from Mabeuf in Book III of Part III – Marius? How does this information affect Marius?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)