|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Marius first see Cosette and Jean Valjean in Part III – Marius?
(a) Parc de Belleville.
(b) Jardin Villemin.
(c) The Luxembourg Gardens.
(d) The Gorbeau House.
2. What thief pounces on Jean Valjean in Book IV of Part IV – Saint Denis?
3. What is the title of Book II in Part IV – Saint Denis?
(b) “Little Gavroche.”
(d) “The Noxious Poor.”
4. To whom does Marius go for permission to marry Cosette in Book VIII of Part IV – Saint Denis?
(a) Monsieur Mabeuf.
(b) Colonel Georges Pontmercy.
(c) Monsieur Thenardier.
(d) Monsieur Gillenormand.
5. What is the title of Book IX in Part IV – Saint Denis?
(a) “Where Are They Going?”
(b) “Little Gavroche.”
(c) “The Intestine of Leviathan.”
(d) “Javert Derailed.”
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Marius Pontmercy’s grandfather who raised him?
2. In Book I of Part III – Marius, Gavroche’s parents are living in the Gorbeau House under what pseudonym?
3. The Friends of the ABC is a fictional society that is based on what historical association?
4. To what park does Marius go daily in Book II of Part IV – Saint Denis?
5. From what location does Gavroche rescue Thénardier in Book VI of Part IV – Saint Denis?
Short Essay Questions
1. What consumes Marius’s mind in Book II of Part IV – Saint Denis? Where does he spend his time?
2. How does the narrator describe Marius’s progression in school in Book V of Part III – Marius? What is his financial situation like?
3. What internal conflict does Marius face in Book VIII of Part III – Marius? How is the conflict resolved?
4. What are Marius’s impressions of Cosette when he first sees her in Book VI of Part III – Marius?
5. Why does Marius go to see his father in Book III of Part III – Marius? What does he find at his father’s home?
6. What historical event is described in Book I of Part IV – Saint Denis? What consequences of this event does the narrator point out?
7. How is the outbreak of the June Rebellion described in Book X of Part IV – Saint Denis?
8. Who introduces Marius to the Friends of the ABC in Book IV of Part III – Marius? What are Marius’s impressions of the group?
9. What is the “Patron-Minette” and who comprises this group?
10. What information does Eponine leak to Marius about Cosette in Book II of Part IV – Saint Denis?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)