|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book I of Part III – Marius, Gavroche’s parents are living in the Gorbeau House under what pseudonym?
(a) The Bonapartes.
(b) The Myriels.
(c) The Jondrettes.
(d) The Mabeufs.
2. To whom does Marius go for permission to marry Cosette in Book VIII of Part IV – Saint Denis?
(a) Monsieur Mabeuf.
(b) Colonel Georges Pontmercy.
(c) Monsieur Gillenormand.
(d) Monsieur Thenardier.
3. What is the title of Book VII in Part IV – Saint Denis?
(a) “Little Gavroche.”
(b) “Aid from Below or from Above.”
(c) “Where Are They Going?”
4. After discovering the handkerchief he believes is Cosette’s, Marius re-nicknames her what in Part III – Marius?
5. Marius Pontmercy’s father was a colonel in whose army?
(a) Gavroche Pontmercy.
(b) Enjolras Pontmercy.
(c) Theodule Pontmercy.
(d) Georges Pontmercy.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Marius attempt to give Eponine for her information about Cosette in Book II of Part IV – Saint Denis?
2. What is the title of Book II of Part III – Marius?
3. Gavroche’s makeshift home in Book VI of Part IV – Saint Denis is inside a statue of what?
4. What is the title of Book I of Part III – Marius?
5. What group in 1830 supported the deposed Bourbon dynasty?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Gavroche live in the beginning of Part III – Marius? Who are Gavroche’s parents?
2. What information does Eponine leak to Marius about Cosette in Book II of Part IV – Saint Denis?
3. Who raised Marius Pontmercy? How is this character described in Book II of Part III – Marius?
4. What exchange takes place between Marius and Monsieur Gillenormand in Book VIII of Part IV – Saint Denis?
5. What are Marius’s impressions of Cosette when he first sees her in Book VI of Part III – Marius?
6. What does Marius learn about his father from Mabeuf in Book III of Part III – Marius? How does this information affect Marius?
7. What historical event is described in Book I of Part IV – Saint Denis? What consequences of this event does the narrator point out?
8. What does Marius think about Cosette after finding what he believes to be her handkerchief in Book VI of Part III – Marius?
9. What leads to conflict between Jean Valjean and Cosette in Book III of Part IV – Saint Denis?
10. Why does Marius go to see his father in Book III of Part III – Marius? What does he find at his father’s home?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)