|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Book III’s title in Part III – Marius?
(a) “To Trust is Sometimes to Surrender.”
(b) “The Excellence of Misfortune.”
(c) “The Grandfather and the Grandson.”
(d) “A Just Man.”
2. Where does Marius first see Cosette and Jean Valjean in Part III – Marius?
(a) Jardin Villemin.
(b) The Gorbeau House.
(c) The Luxembourg Gardens.
(d) Parc de Belleville.
3. In the letter that was left to Marius by his father, he is instructed to find a young man with what name in Book III of Part III – Marius?
4. To what park does Marius go daily in Book II of Part IV – Saint Denis?
(a) Luxembourg Gardens.
(b) Field of the Lark.
(c) Parc de Belleville.
(d) Parc des Buttes Chaumont.
5. What is the title of Book I in Part IV – Saint Denis?
(b) “A Few Pages of History.”
(c) “An End Unlike the Beginning.”
(d) “Little Gavroche.”
Short Answer Questions
1. Before he learns Cosette’s name, Marius refers to her as what nickname in Part III – Marius?
2. What letter is stitched on the handkerchief that Marius finds and believes to be Cosette’s in Part III – Marius?
3. Whom does Gavroche overhear worrying about his finances in Book IV of Part IV – Saint Denis?
4. How old is Marius Pontmercy’s grandfather in Book II of Part III – Marius?
5. What neighbor of Marius’s introduces him to the Friends of the ABC in Part III – Marius?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gavroche help the revolutionaries in Book X of Part IV – Saint Denis?
2. What attack does Gavroche witness in Book IV of Part IV – Saint Denis? What is the outcome of the conflict?
3. How is the outbreak of the June Rebellion described in Book X of Part IV – Saint Denis?
4. What internal conflict does Marius face in Book VIII of Part III – Marius? How is the conflict resolved?
5. How is the setting of “The House on Rue Plumet” described in Book III of Part IV – Saint Denis?
6. What does Marius learn about his father from Mabeuf in Book III of Part III – Marius? How does this information affect Marius?
7. How does Gavroche go about helping two homeless children in Book VI of Part IV – Saint Denis? Who are these children?
8. How does the narrator describe Marius’s progression in school in Book V of Part III – Marius? What is his financial situation like?
9. How does Marius inject himself into the lives of Cosette and Valjean in Book V of Part IV – Saint Denis?
10. What is the “Patron-Minette” and who comprises this group?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)