|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Book X of Part IV – Saint Denis is set on what date?
(a) August 26, 1836.
(b) June 5, 1832.
(c) March 9, 1827.
(d) December 15, 1830.
2. Where does Marius live in Book VIII of Part III – Marius?
(a) The Gorbeau House.
(d) The Bardienne House.
3. On what street are Cosette and Jean Valjean living in Book III of Part IV – Saint Denis?
(a) Rue Plumet.
(b) Rue Bauregarde.
(c) Rue Marais.
(d) Rue Halles.
4. What is the title of Book II in Part IV – Saint Denis?
(a) “The Noxious Poor.”
(c) “Little Gavroche.”
5. How does Jean Valjean escape at the end of Book VIII of Part III – Marius?
(a) Through the attic.
(b) Through the sewers.
(c) Through the window.
(d) Through the basement.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Javert give to Marius after Marius tells him of the plot of his neighbors in Book VIII of Part III – Marius?
2. What is the title of Book I of Part III – Marius?
3. What is Book IV’s title in Part IV – Saint Denis?
4. What is the Paris Uprising of 1832 also known as?
5. What is the hometown of Marius’s father to which Marius rides in order to see him in Book III of Part III – Marius?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who introduces Marius to the Friends of the ABC in Book IV of Part III – Marius? What are Marius’s impressions of the group?
2. What attack does Gavroche witness in Book IV of Part IV – Saint Denis? What is the outcome of the conflict?
3. How does Gavroche go about helping two homeless children in Book VI of Part IV – Saint Denis? Who are these children?
4. What exchange takes place between Marius and Monsieur Gillenormand in Book VIII of Part IV – Saint Denis?
5. How is the setting of “The House on Rue Plumet” described in Book III of Part IV – Saint Denis?
6. What are Marius’s impressions of Cosette when he first sees her in Book VI of Part III – Marius?
7. How is Marius led to Cosette’s whereabouts in Book VIII of Part III – Marius?
8. What leads to the disappearance of Cosette and Valjean in Book VI of Part III – Marius?
9. What leads to conflict between Jean Valjean and Cosette in Book III of Part IV – Saint Denis?
10. What consumes Marius’s mind in Book II of Part IV – Saint Denis? Where does he spend his time?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)