|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Gavroche discover to be a military spy in Book XII Part IV – Saint Denis?
2. How old is Marius Pontmercy’s grandfather in Book II of Part III – Marius?
3. What is the title of Book VII in Part III – Marius?
(a) “The Noxious Poor.”
(b) “A Counter-Blow.”
4. What letter is stitched on the handkerchief that Marius finds and believes to be Cosette’s in Part III – Marius?
5. Where does Marius live in Book VIII of Part III – Marius?
(b) The Bardienne House.
(d) The Gorbeau House.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Marius pronounce his love for Cosette in Book V of Part IV – Saint Denis?
2. Where does Jean Valjean announce he is taking Cosette in Book VIII of Part IV – Saint Denis?
3. What is the title of Book I in Part IV – Saint Denis?
4. The Friends of the ABC is a fictional society that is based on what historical association?
5. What is the title of Book II in Part IV – Saint Denis?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator describe Marius’s progression in school in Book V of Part III – Marius? What is his financial situation like?
2. How does Gavroche help the revolutionaries in Book X of Part IV – Saint Denis?
3. How does Marius inject himself into the lives of Cosette and Valjean in Book V of Part IV – Saint Denis?
4. What exchange takes place between Marius and Monsieur Gillenormand in Book VIII of Part IV – Saint Denis?
5. Who introduces Marius to the Friends of the ABC in Book IV of Part III – Marius? What are Marius’s impressions of the group?
6. Where does Gavroche live in the beginning of Part III – Marius? Who are Gavroche’s parents?
7. What internal conflict does Marius face in Book VIII of Part III – Marius? How is the conflict resolved?
8. How is the setting of “The House on Rue Plumet” described in Book III of Part IV – Saint Denis?
9. What does Gavroche do at the end of Book IV of Part IV – Saint Denis? Who benefits from Gavroche’s action?
10. What attack does Gavroche witness in Book IV of Part IV – Saint Denis? What is the outcome of the conflict?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)