|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By what nickname does Jean Valjean become known when he stays at the Gorbeau House in Book IV of Part II – Cosette?
(a) “The thief of the old hotel.”
(b) “The monster of the night.”
(c) “The Saint of the forgotten.”
(d) “The beggar who gives alms.”
2. Fantine is fired from her job at the factory for what reason in Book V of Part I – Fantine?
(b) Calling in sick.
(d) Telling a customer off.
3. What is the title of Book VIII of Part II – Cosette?
(a) “Cemeteries Take What is Given Them.”
(b) “The Excellence of Misfortune.”
(c) “Paris Atomized.”
4. In Book VI of Part I – Fantine, Javert claims that he has positively identified Champmathieu as Valjean and states that he is leaving for where to testify in the trial the following day?
5. With what do the nuns convince Fauchelevent to fill a coffin in order to avoid breaking Parisian law by burying a nun in the convent in Book VIII of Part II – Cosette?
(c) Tree branches.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book II of Part II – Cosette, newspaper articles suggest that Jean Valjean withdrew how many francs just before his arrest?
2. What is the largest industry in Montreuil, according to the narrator in Part I – Fantine?
3. What is the name of the young law student with whom Fantine falls in love in Part I – Fantine?
4. What is the name of the Thénardiers’ baby boy in Book III of Part II – Cosette?
5. What does M. Myriel insist that Jean Valjean take with him when he is brought back to Myriel’s home by the police?
Short Essay Questions
1. What internal conflict does Jean Valjean face in Book VI of Part I – Fantine? How does he resolve the conflict?
2. How is the history of Petit-Picpus described in Book VI of Part II – Cosette?
3. How is Jean Valjean described in Book II of Part I – Fantine? Where has Jean Valjean come from?
4. What information is related from the character named Boulatruelle in Book II of Part II – Cosette?
5. What is related in the newspaper article concerning the Orion in Book II of Part II – Cosette?
6. What does Bishop Myriel tell Jean Valjean about his suffering in Part I – Fantine?
7. How old is Cosette when she is reintroduced in Book III of Part II – Cosette? How is her living situation described?
8. When and where does the narrative begin in Book I of Part I – Fantine? How is Bishop Myriel described?
9. How does Jean Valjean escape from the dead-end alleyway in Book V of Part II – Cosette?
10. How does Jean Valjean succeed in rescuing Cosette in Book III of Part II – Cosette?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)