|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the boy from whom Jean Valjean steals a silver coin in Part I – Fantine?
(a) Petit Gervais.
(c) Georges Pontmercy.
(d) Felix Tholomyes.
2. What are the names of the Thénardiers’ two daughters whom they spoil?
(a) Cosette and Fantine.
(b) Eponine and Azelma.
(c) Fantine and Eponine.
(d) Azelma and Cosette.
3. The police inspector in Montreuil threatens Fantine with what jail sentence for attacking a man who insulted her in Part I – Fantine?
(a) 1 month.
(b) 6 months.
(c) 3 months.
(d) 8 months.
4. Jean Valjean tells the landlady at the Gorbeau House that Cosette is what in Book II of Part II – Cosette?
(a) His aunt.
(b) His granddaughter.
(c) His daughter.
(d) His niece.
5. By what nickname does Jean Valjean become known when he stays at the Gorbeau House in Book IV of Part II – Cosette?
(a) “The beggar who gives alms.”
(b) “The monster of the night.”
(c) “The thief of the old hotel.”
(d) “The Saint of the forgotten.”
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Book I in Part I – Fantine?
2. Where in France does the novel begin in Book I of Part I – Fantine?
3. What is the first thing that Fantine sells in order to make money when she becomes desperate after losing her job at the factory?
4. What nickname has Charles Myriel earned which translates to “welcome” in English?
5. What are the two luxuries that Charles Myriel holds onto out of consideration for his housekeeper?
Short Essay Questions
1. From what narrative point of view is Les Miserables related? What are the characteristics of this narrative style?
2. What leads to Jean Valjean’s epiphany in Book II of Part I – Fantine? What does he realize?
3. How has Jean Valjean changed after he’s been out of prison for two years in Part I – Fantine? How does Jean Valjean first encounter Fantine?
4. How is the history of Petit-Picpus described in Book VI of Part II – Cosette?
5. Who does Jean Valjean meet in the garden in Book V of Part II – Cosette? Where has he met this character before?
6. How old is Cosette when she is reintroduced in Book III of Part II – Cosette? How is her living situation described?
7. How does Jean Valjean succeed in rescuing Cosette in Book III of Part II – Cosette?
8. What is related in the newspaper article concerning the Orion in Book II of Part II – Cosette?
9. What does the author comment on regarding monasticism in Book VII of Part II – Cosette?
10. How does Jean Valjean escape and reenter the convent in Book VIII of Part II – Cosette?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)