|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What nickname has Charles Myriel earned which translates to “welcome” in English?
2. Fauchelevent tells the nuns that Jean Valjean is his brother named what in Book VIII of Part II – Cosette?
3. What is the name of Fantine’s daughter in Part I – Fantine?
(a) Mademoiselle Gillenormand.
(d) Mademoiselle Baptistine.
4. What is the name of Cosette’s father in the novel?
(a) Jean Prouvaire.
(b) Marius Pontmercy.
(c) Felix Tholomyes.
(d) Theodule Gillenormand.
5. Who is Cosette’s mother in the novel?
(a) Madame Thenardier.
(b) Madame Magloire.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the convict on the chain gang who saves the sailor from drowning on the Orion in Book II of Part II – Cosette?
2. What nation was victorious at the Battle of Waterloo?
3. Jean Valjean crosses the River Seine over what in Book V of Part II – Cosette?
4. How old is Cosette when she is introduced in Book III of Part II – Cosette?
5. Where does Cosette enroll in school in Book VIII of Part II – Cosette?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the character of Javert described in Part I – Fantine? What role does Javert play in the novel?
2. When and where does the narrative begin in Book I of Part I – Fantine? How is Bishop Myriel described?
3. How does Jean Valjean escape and reenter the convent in Book VIII of Part II – Cosette?
4. What is related in the newspaper article concerning the Orion in Book II of Part II – Cosette?
5. What does the author comment on regarding monasticism in Book VII of Part II – Cosette?
6. What tips Javert off to Jean Valjean’s trail in Book IV of Part II – Cosette?
7. How is Jean Valjean described in Book II of Part I – Fantine? Where has Jean Valjean come from?
8. How does Jean Valjean escape from the dead-end alleyway in Book V of Part II – Cosette?
9. How has Jean Valjean changed after he’s been out of prison for two years in Part I – Fantine? How does Jean Valjean first encounter Fantine?
10. What leads to Jean Valjean’s epiphany in Book II of Part I – Fantine? What does he realize?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)