|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The narrator says that Monsieur Madeleine arrived in Montreuil in what year in Book V of Part I – Fantine?
2. What is the first thing that Fantine sells in order to make money when she becomes desperate after losing her job at the factory?
(a) Her teeth.
(b) Her horse.
(c) Her hair.
(d) Her house.
3. Who is the convict on the chain gang who saves the sailor from drowning on the Orion in Book II of Part II – Cosette?
(a) Jean Valjean.
(b) Theodule Gillenormand.
4. Where in France does the novel begin in Book I of Part I – Fantine?
5. Whom does Jean Valjean rescue in Part I – Fantine by lifting him from underneath a fallen carriage?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jean Valjean steal from M. Myriel in Part I – Fantine?
2. What nation was victorious at the Battle of Waterloo?
3. Whom does Jean Valjean tell Cosette are chasing them in Book V of Part II – Cosette?
4. With what do the nuns convince Fauchelevent to fill a coffin in order to avoid breaking Parisian law by burying a nun in the convent in Book VIII of Part II – Cosette?
5. What are the names of the Thénardiers’ two daughters whom they spoil?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author comment on regarding monasticism in Book VII of Part II – Cosette?
2. What internal conflict does Jean Valjean face in Book VI of Part I – Fantine? How does he resolve the conflict?
3. How does Jean Valjean respond to the advice of Bishop Myriel in Book II of Part I – Fantine? Where do his actions lead him?
4. What does Bishop Myriel impress upon Jean Valjean when he gives him the candlesticks in Book II of Part I – Fantine? How does Valjean react?
5. How is Jean Valjean described in Book II of Part I – Fantine? Where has Jean Valjean come from?
6. What does Bishop Myriel tell Jean Valjean about his suffering in Part I – Fantine?
7. In whose care does Fantine leave Cosette in Part I – Fantine? How is Cosette treated by these characters?
8. When and where does the narrative begin in Book I of Part I – Fantine? How is Bishop Myriel described?
9. Who does Jean Valjean meet in the garden in Book V of Part II – Cosette? Where has he met this character before?
10. How old is Cosette when she is reintroduced in Book III of Part II – Cosette? How is her living situation described?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)