|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jean Valjean steal from M. Myriel in Part I – Fantine?
(a) Brass coins.
(b) A lantern.
(c) A loaf of bread.
2. How much money does Jean Valjean give to the Thénardiers for Cosette in Book III of Part II – Cosette?
(a) 700 francs.
(b) 500 francs.
(c) 1,500 francs.
(d) 900 francs.
3. The police inspector in Montreuil threatens Fantine with what jail sentence for attacking a man who insulted her in Part I – Fantine?
(a) 8 months.
(b) 6 months.
(c) 1 month.
(d) 3 months.
4. How many years have passed since Jean Valjean’s first encounter with M. Myriel in Book III of Part I – Fantine?
5. What are the names of the Thénardiers’ two daughters whom they spoil?
(a) Azelma and Cosette.
(b) Eponine and Azelma.
(c) Fantine and Eponine.
(d) Cosette and Fantine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the police inspector who acts as a nemesis to Jean Valjean throughout Les Miserables?
2. What is the name of Fantine’s hometown to which she returns in order to find work in Part I – Fantine?
3. The narrator says that Monsieur Madeleine arrived in Montreuil in what year in Book V of Part I – Fantine?
4. How many years have passed since Fantine has been to her hometown in Book V of Part I – Fantine?
5. With what do the nuns convince Fauchelevent to fill a coffin in order to avoid breaking Parisian law by burying a nun in the convent in Book VIII of Part II – Cosette?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Cosette meet Jean Valjean in Book III of Part II – Cosette? What are her impressions of him?
2. What does Bishop Myriel impress upon Jean Valjean when he gives him the candlesticks in Book II of Part I – Fantine? How does Valjean react?
3. How is Fantine’s position in society described when she is introduced in Part I – Fantine?
4. How does Jean Valjean escape from the dead-end alleyway in Book V of Part II – Cosette?
5. What does Bishop Myriel tell Jean Valjean about his suffering in Part I – Fantine?
6. What information is related from the character named Boulatruelle in Book II of Part II – Cosette?
7. How is the history of Petit-Picpus described in Book VI of Part II – Cosette?
8. What does the author comment on regarding monasticism in Book VII of Part II – Cosette?
9. How does Jean Valjean respond to the advice of Bishop Myriel in Book II of Part I – Fantine? Where do his actions lead him?
10. What is related in the newspaper article concerning the Orion in Book II of Part II – Cosette?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)