|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was overthrown in the 1830 July Revolution in France?
(a) Mark III.
(b) Edward VII.
(c) James V.
(d) Charles X.
2. What is the title of Book I of Part III – Marius?
(a) “Cemeteries Take What is Given Them.”
(b) “The Grand Bourgeois.”
(c) “The Ship Orion.”
(d) “Paris Atomized.”
3. To what park does Marius go daily in Book II of Part IV – Saint Denis?
(a) Parc de Belleville.
(b) Luxembourg Gardens.
(c) Parc des Buttes Chaumont.
(d) Field of the Lark.
4. What is Book IV’s title in Part IV – Saint Denis?
(a) “A Few Pages of History.”
(b) “Aid from Below or from Above.”
(c) “The Noxious Poor.”
(d) “An End Unlike the Beginning.”
5. The Friends of the ABC is led by what fiery student in Part III – Marius?
6. What neighbor of Marius’s introduces him to the Friends of the ABC in Part III – Marius?
7. Marius’s friend who is a churchwarden helps get Marius a job where in Book V of Part III – Marius?
(a) A bookstore.
(b) A school.
(c) A church.
(d) A bank.
8. The Thénardiers force Valjean to write a note summoning whom to the apartment in Book VIII of Part III – Marius?
9. What bacterial infection swept through Europe in 1832, killing over 18,000 people in Paris?
(c) Necrotizing fasciitis.
10. Where does Marius pronounce his love for Cosette in Book V of Part IV – Saint Denis?
(a) In a cemetery.
(b) In the garden.
(c) In a church.
(d) In a tavern.
11. What group in 1830 supported the deposed Bourbon dynasty?
(a) The Bonapartists.
(b) The Exclusionists.
(c) The Legitimists.
(d) The Democrats.
12. Whom does Gavroche discover to be a military spy in Book XII Part IV – Saint Denis?
13. What does Jean Valjean give to the thief who attacks him after he’s pinned the thief to the ground in Book IV of Part IV – Saint Denis?
(a) His sword.
(b) His hat.
(c) His gun.
(d) His wallet.
14. What does Eponine write on a piece of paper to prove she’s literate in Book VIII of Part III – Marius?
(a) “This is my name.”
(b) “I’m being held prisoner.”
(c) “Please help me.”
(d) “The cops are here.”
15. The republican secret societies made their move to start off the Paris Uprising of 1832 at whose public funeral?
(a) Napoleon Bonaparte.
(b) Marie Antoinette.
(c) General Lamarque.
(d) Patrice de Mac-Mahon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Marius Pontmercy’s father was a colonel in whose army?
2. Where did the insurgents in the Paris Uprising of 1832 make their stronghold?
3. What does Javert give to Marius after Marius tells him of the plot of his neighbors in Book VIII of Part III – Marius?
4. What is the title of Book VII in Part IV – Saint Denis?
5. Book VII of Part IV – Saint Denis focuses on what?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)