|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Gavroche discover to be a military spy in Book XII Part IV – Saint Denis?
2. What group in 1830 supported the deposed Bourbon dynasty?
(a) The Exclusionists.
(b) The Legitimists.
(c) The Bonapartists.
(d) The Democrats.
3. The republican secret societies made their move to start off the Paris Uprising of 1832 at whose public funeral?
(a) Patrice de Mac-Mahon.
(b) Marie Antoinette.
(c) General Lamarque.
(d) Napoleon Bonaparte.
4. What thief pounces on Jean Valjean in Book IV of Part IV – Saint Denis?
5. On what street are Cosette and Jean Valjean living in Book III of Part IV – Saint Denis?
(a) Rue Plumet.
(b) Rue Marais.
(c) Rue Bauregarde.
(d) Rue Halles.
6. Approximately how old is Gavroche in Book I of Part III – Marius?
7. What is Book III’s title in Part III – Marius?
(a) “The Excellence of Misfortune.”
(b) “The Grandfather and the Grandson.”
(c) “A Just Man.”
(d) “To Trust is Sometimes to Surrender.”
8. What is the hometown of Marius’s father to which Marius rides in order to see him in Book III of Part III – Marius?
9. Book VII of Part IV – Saint Denis focuses on what?
(a) A detailed family history of Cosette.
(b) Parisian street slang.
(c) The Napoleonic Wars.
(d) The history of the French monarchy.
10. What is the title of Book VI of Part IV – Saint Denis?
(b) “Little Gavroche.”
(c) “Mire, but Soul.”
(d) “Where Are They Going?”
11. What is the title of Book V in Part III – Marius?
(a) “To Trust is Sometimes to Surrender.”
(b) “A Counter-Blow.”
(c) “The Descent.”
(d) “The Excellence of Misfortune.”
12. To whom does Marius go for permission to marry Cosette in Book VIII of Part IV – Saint Denis?
(a) Monsieur Gillenormand.
(b) Colonel Georges Pontmercy.
(c) Monsieur Mabeuf.
(d) Monsieur Thenardier.
13. Who was offered the throne after the 1830 July Revolution?
(b) Napoleon Bonaparte.
(c) Henry IV.
(d) Louis XVI.
14. The Friends of the ABC is a fictional society that is based on what historical association?
(a) Republican Society of Secrecy.
(b) Underground Polish Society.
(c) Society of the Brotherhood.
(d) Society of the Rights of Man.
15. The Thénardiers force Valjean to write a note summoning whom to the apartment in Book VIII of Part III – Marius?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what Paris suburb does Eponine tell Marius Cosette is living in Book II of Part IV – Saint Denis?
2. What is written on the message that Marius hurls through the window in Book VIII of Part III – Marius?
3. The Friends of the ABC is led by what fiery student in Part III – Marius?
4. Cosette spends her time in Book III of Part IV – Saint Denis longing for the young man from where?
5. The street urchin named Gavroche in Part III – Marius is actually whose son?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)