|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The four ringleaders of the Paris criminal underworld introduced in Part III – Marius are Montparnasse, Babet, Claquesous, and whom?
2. Marius Pontmercy’s father was a colonel in whose army?
(a) Theodule Pontmercy.
(b) Georges Pontmercy.
(c) Gavroche Pontmercy.
(d) Enjolras Pontmercy.
3. What is the title of Book V in Part III – Marius?
(a) “The Descent.”
(b) “To Trust is Sometimes to Surrender.”
(c) “A Counter-Blow.”
(d) “The Excellence of Misfortune.”
4. Where did the Canut revolt take place in December of 1831?
5. The Friends of the ABC is a fictional society that is based on what historical association?
(a) Society of the Brotherhood.
(b) Underground Polish Society.
(c) Republican Society of Secrecy.
(d) Society of the Rights of Man.
6. After discovering the handkerchief he believes is Cosette’s, Marius re-nicknames her what in Part III – Marius?
7. What is Book III’s title in Part III – Marius?
(a) “The Grandfather and the Grandson.”
(b) “A Just Man.”
(c) “The Excellence of Misfortune.”
(d) “To Trust is Sometimes to Surrender.”
8. In Book VI of Part IV – Saint Denis, Gavroche discovers two abandoned hungry children and uses his money to buy them food without realizing they are what?
(a) Spies for the government.
(b) His younger brothers.
(c) His cousins.
(d) The policeman’s sons.
9. Gavroche pickpockets the thief who took Jean Valjean’s money and he throws it over whose wall in Book IV of Part IV – Saint Denis?
(a) Monsieur Gillenormand’s.
(b) Father Mabeuf’s.
(c) Marius Pontmercy’s.
10. In the letter that was left to Marius by his father, he is instructed to find a young man with what name in Book III of Part III – Marius?
11. To whom does Marius go for permission to marry Cosette in Book VIII of Part IV – Saint Denis?
(a) Monsieur Mabeuf.
(b) Monsieur Thenardier.
(c) Monsieur Gillenormand.
(d) Colonel Georges Pontmercy.
12. What letter is stitched on the handkerchief that Marius finds and believes to be Cosette’s in Part III – Marius?
13. Cosette spends her time in Book III of Part IV – Saint Denis longing for the young man from where?
(b) Luxembourg Gardens.
(d) Les Halles.
14. What thief pounces on Jean Valjean in Book IV of Part IV – Saint Denis?
15. In what Paris suburb does Eponine tell Marius Cosette is living in Book II of Part IV – Saint Denis?
(c) Place de la Bastille.
(d) Les Halles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Book II of Part III – Marius?
2. What is the title of Book V of Part IV – Saint Denis?
3. The Friends of the ABC is led by what fiery student in Part III – Marius?
4. Before he learns Cosette’s name, Marius refers to her as what nickname in Part III – Marius?
5. What is the title of Book VI of Part IV – Saint Denis?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)