|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the title of Book I of Part III – Marius?
(a) “The Ship Orion.”
(b) “Paris Atomized.”
(c) “The Grand Bourgeois.”
(d) “Cemeteries Take What is Given Them.”
2. What is the title of Book II of Part III – Marius?
(a) “Cemeteries Take What is Given Them.”
(b) “The Grand Bourgeois.”
(c) “A Dark Chase Requires a Silent Hound.”
(d) “The Grandfather and the Grandson.”
3. Whom does Gavroche discover to be a military spy in Book XII Part IV – Saint Denis?
4. In the letter that was left to Marius by his father, he is instructed to find a young man with what name in Book III of Part III – Marius?
5. What does Jean Valjean give to the thief who attacks him after he’s pinned the thief to the ground in Book IV of Part IV – Saint Denis?
(a) His hat.
(b) His gun.
(c) His sword.
(d) His wallet.
6. After discovering the handkerchief he believes is Cosette’s, Marius re-nicknames her what in Part III – Marius?
7. Before he learns Cosette’s name, Marius refers to her as what nickname in Part III – Marius?
8. On what street are Cosette and Jean Valjean living in Book III of Part IV – Saint Denis?
(a) Rue Bauregarde.
(b) Rue Plumet.
(c) Rue Marais.
(d) Rue Halles.
9. Book X of Part IV – Saint Denis is set on what date?
(a) June 5, 1832.
(b) August 26, 1836.
(c) December 15, 1830.
(d) March 9, 1827.
10. Book VII of Part IV – Saint Denis focuses on what?
(a) The Napoleonic Wars.
(b) A detailed family history of Cosette.
(c) Parisian street slang.
(d) The history of the French monarchy.
11. How does Jean Valjean escape at the end of Book VIII of Part III – Marius?
(a) Through the window.
(b) Through the basement.
(c) Through the sewers.
(d) Through the attic.
12. The four ringleaders of the Paris criminal underworld introduced in Part III – Marius are Montparnasse, Babet, Claquesous, and whom?
13. Approximately how many total casualties came about in the Paris Uprising of 1832?
14. What thief pounces on Jean Valjean in Book IV of Part IV – Saint Denis?
15. The republican secret societies made their move to start off the Paris Uprising of 1832 at whose public funeral?
(a) Marie Antoinette.
(b) Napoleon Bonaparte.
(c) General Lamarque.
(d) Patrice de Mac-Mahon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eponine write on a piece of paper to prove she’s literate in Book VIII of Part III – Marius?
2. Where does Jean Valjean announce he is taking Cosette in Book VIII of Part IV – Saint Denis?
3. How old is Marius Pontmercy’s grandfather in Book II of Part III – Marius?
4. The Friends of the ABC is led by what fiery student in Part III – Marius?
5. What is the title of Book I in Part IV – Saint Denis?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)