|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Monsieur Madeleine become mayor of Montreuil?
2. Fauchelevent tells Valjean that he and Cosette are in the garden of what convent in Book V of Part II – Cosette?
(b) Gorbeau House.
3. The nuns of the convent in Book VI of Part II – Cosette are an order founded by what Spaniard?
(a) Martin Verga.
(b) Manuel Azaña.
(c) Francisco Jiménez de Cisneros.
(d) Santiago Carrillo.
4. What does M. Myriel insist that Jean Valjean take with him when he is brought back to Myriel’s home by the police?
(a) A bag of money.
(b) Silver candlesticks.
(c) A silver coin.
(d) A loaf of bread.
5. What is the title of Book III in Part I – Fantine?
(a) “Cemeteries Take What is Given Them.”
(b) “To Trust is Sometimes to Surrender.”
(c) “Paris Atomized.”
(d) “In the Year 1817.”
6. What is the title of Book VIII of Part II – Cosette?
(b) “The Excellence of Misfortune.”
(c) “Paris Atomized.”
(d) “Cemeteries Take What is Given Them.”
7. What is the title of Book II of Part II – Cosette?
(a) “The Excellence of Misfortune.”
(b) “The Ship Orion.”
(c) “The Grand Bourgeois.”
(d) “Paris Atomized.”
8. What is the name of the police inspector who acts as a nemesis to Jean Valjean throughout Les Miserables?
9. What is the second thing that Fantine sells in order to make money when she becomes desperate after losing her job at the factory?
(a) Her horse.
(b) Her house.
(c) Her hair.
(d) Her front teeth.
10. Jean Valjean crosses the River Seine over what in Book V of Part II – Cosette?
(a) The River Thames.
(b) The Eiffel Tower.
(c) The St. Mark’s Cathedral.
(d) The Austerlitz Bridge.
11. How much money does Jean Valjean give to the Thénardiers for Cosette in Book III of Part II – Cosette?
(a) 900 francs.
(b) 500 francs.
(c) 1,500 francs.
(d) 700 francs.
12. What is the name of the young law student with whom Fantine falls in love in Part I – Fantine?
(a) Monsieur Mabeuf.
(b) Felix Tholomyes.
(c) Theodule Gillenormand.
(d) Monsieur Gillenormand.
13. Charles Myriel was forced to flee Italy during the French Revolution of what year?
14. For how many years has Jean Valjean been in prison when his character is introduced in Part I – Fantine?
15. Whom does Jean Valjean tell Cosette are chasing them in Book V of Part II – Cosette?
(a) The Pontmercys.
(b) The Gillenormands.
(d) The Thénardiers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jean Valjean steal from M. Myriel in Part I – Fantine?
2. The narrator says that Monsieur Madeleine arrived in Montreuil in what year in Book V of Part I – Fantine?
3. What is Charles Myriel’s position within the Church in Part I – Fantine?
4. Fauchelevent helps Jean Valjean secure work as what in Book VIII of Part II – Cosette?
5. What is the name of the Thénardiers’ baby boy in Book III of Part II – Cosette?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)