|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book VI of Part I – Fantine, Javert claims that he has positively identified Champmathieu as Valjean and states that he is leaving for where to testify in the trial the following day?
2. Whom does Jean Valjean rescue in Part I – Fantine by lifting him from underneath a fallen carriage?
3. What is the title of Book II of Part II – Cosette?
(a) “Paris Atomized.”
(b) “The Grand Bourgeois.”
(c) “The Ship Orion.”
(d) “The Excellence of Misfortune.”
4. Who is the convict on the chain gang who saves the sailor from drowning on the Orion in Book II of Part II – Cosette?
(a) Jean Valjean.
(c) Theodule Gillenormand.
5. What does M. Myriel insist that Jean Valjean take with him when he is brought back to Myriel’s home by the police?
(a) Silver candlesticks.
(b) A silver coin.
(c) A bag of money.
(d) A loaf of bread.
6. Jean Valjean crosses the River Seine over what in Book V of Part II – Cosette?
(a) The River Thames.
(b) The St. Mark’s Cathedral.
(c) The Austerlitz Bridge.
(d) The Eiffel Tower.
7. By what year does the narrator say in Book VII of Part II – Cosette that there are no new recruits and the nuns of the convent begin to die off?
8. How old is Cosette when she is introduced in Book III of Part II – Cosette?
9. What is the name of Fantine’s hometown to which she returns in order to find work in Part I – Fantine?
10. Fauchelevent believes that Valjean is hiding from whom in Book VIII of Part II – Cosette?
(a) His family.
11. What does Jean Valjean steal from M. Myriel in Part I – Fantine?
(a) Brass coins.
(b) A loaf of bread.
(d) A lantern.
12. Fantine is fired from her job at the factory for what reason in Book V of Part I – Fantine?
(c) Calling in sick.
(d) Telling a customer off.
13. In what year was Charles Myriel born?
14. It is October of what year that Jean Valjean enters Digne in Book II of Part I – Fantine?
15. What is the second thing that Fantine sells in order to make money when she becomes desperate after losing her job at the factory?
(a) Her horse.
(b) Her house.
(c) Her hair.
(d) Her front teeth.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Jean Valjean’s prison sentence extended?
2. Jean Valjean tells the landlady at the Gorbeau House that Cosette is what in Book II of Part II – Cosette?
3. Where does Cosette enroll in school in Book VIII of Part II – Cosette?
4. The narrator says that Monsieur Madeleine arrived in Montreuil in what year in Book V of Part I – Fantine?
5. What nickname has Charles Myriel earned which translates to “welcome” in English?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)