|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Jean Valjean rescue in Part I – Fantine by lifting him from underneath a fallen carriage?
2. Jean Valjean tells the landlady at the Gorbeau House that Cosette is what in Book II of Part II – Cosette?
(a) His niece.
(b) His daughter.
(c) His granddaughter.
(d) His aunt.
3. What is the name of Cosette’s father in the novel?
(a) Theodule Gillenormand.
(b) Marius Pontmercy.
(c) Felix Tholomyes.
(d) Jean Prouvaire.
4. What is the title of Book VIII of Part I – Fantine?
(a) “The Ship Orion.”
(b) “The Grand Bourgeois.”
(c) “A Counter-Blow.”
(d) “The Excellence of Misfortune.”
5. For how many years has Jean Valjean been in prison when his character is introduced in Part I – Fantine?
6. What is the title of Book V of Part II – Cosette?
(a) “The Excellence of Misfortune.”
(b) “The Grand Bourgeois.”
(c) “The Ship Orion.”
(d) “A Dark Chase Requires a Silent Hound.”
7. Whom does Jean Valjean tell Cosette are chasing them in Book V of Part II – Cosette?
(a) The Thénardiers.
(b) The Pontmercys.
(c) The Gillenormands.
8. In Book II of Part II – Cosette, newspaper articles suggest that Jean Valjean withdrew how many francs just before his arrest?
9. Fauchelevent helps Jean Valjean secure work as what in Book VIII of Part II – Cosette?
(a) A banker.
(b) A bellhop.
(c) A lumberjack.
(d) A gardener.
10. What nation was victorious at the Battle of Waterloo?
(a) Great Britain.
(d) The United States.
11. What is the second thing that Fantine sells in order to make money when she becomes desperate after losing her job at the factory?
(a) Her house.
(b) Her front teeth.
(c) Her hair.
(d) Her horse.
12. Jean Valjean crosses the River Seine over what in Book V of Part II – Cosette?
(a) The St. Mark’s Cathedral.
(b) The Austerlitz Bridge.
(c) The River Thames.
(d) The Eiffel Tower.
13. By what year does the narrator say in Book VII of Part II – Cosette that there are no new recruits and the nuns of the convent begin to die off?
14. With whom did Charles Myriel have a chance encounter in 1806 which led to his current position?
(a) Jean-Jacques Dessalines.
(b) Adolphe Thiers.
(c) Louis XVIII.
(d) Napoleon Bonaparte.
15. What does Jean Valjean steal from M. Myriel in Part I – Fantine?
(a) Brass coins.
(c) A lantern.
(d) A loaf of bread.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Book I in Part I – Fantine?
2. Fauchelevent tells the nuns that Jean Valjean is his brother named what in Book VIII of Part II – Cosette?
3. By what name does Fauchelevent address Jean Valjean when he first meets him in Book V of Part II – Cosette?
4. What is the name of the boy from whom Jean Valjean steals a silver coin in Part I – Fantine?
5. On what date was the Battle of Waterloo fought?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)