|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the second thing that Fantine sells in order to make money when she becomes desperate after losing her job at the factory?
(a) Her front teeth.
(b) Her horse.
(c) Her house.
(d) Her hair.
2. With whom did Charles Myriel have a chance encounter in 1806 which led to his current position?
(a) Napoleon Bonaparte.
(b) Adolphe Thiers.
(c) Louis XVIII.
(d) Jean-Jacques Dessalines.
3. How many years have passed since Fantine has been to her hometown in Book V of Part I – Fantine?
4. Fauchelevent tells the nuns that Jean Valjean is his brother named what in Book VIII of Part II – Cosette?
5. What is the title of Book V of Part II – Cosette?
(a) “The Ship Orion.”
(b) “The Grand Bourgeois.”
(c) “The Excellence of Misfortune.”
(d) “A Dark Chase Requires a Silent Hound.”
6. What are the two luxuries that Charles Myriel holds onto out of consideration for his housekeeper?
(a) A gas lamp and indoor plumbing.
(b) A fireplace and a bear rug.
(c) A set of silverware and two silver candlesticks.
(d) A silk robe and a dishwasher.
7. How much money does Jean Valjean give to the Thénardiers for Cosette in Book III of Part II – Cosette?
(a) 700 francs.
(b) 900 francs.
(c) 500 francs.
(d) 1,500 francs.
8. What holiday is it when Cosette is introduced in Book III of Part II – Cosette?
(a) New Year's Eve.
(c) Easter Sunday.
(d) Christmas Eve.
9. Whom does Fantine beg to look after her daughter as she seeks work in Part I – Fantine?
(a) Mademoiselle Baptistine.
(b) Madame Thénardier.
(c) Mademoiselle Gillenormand.
(d) Madame Magloire.
10. In Book II of Part II – Cosette, newspaper articles suggest that Jean Valjean withdrew how many francs just before his arrest?
11. On what date was the Battle of Waterloo fought?
(a) January 11, 1812.
(b) June 18, 1815.
(c) May 4, 1813.
(d) September 27, 1817.
12. What is the name of the young law student with whom Fantine falls in love in Part I – Fantine?
(a) Theodule Gillenormand.
(b) Felix Tholomyes.
(c) Monsieur Gillenormand.
(d) Monsieur Mabeuf.
13. What is the title of Book V of Part I – Fantine?
(a) “A Dark Chase Requires a Silent Hound.”
(b) “A Counter-Blow.”
(c) “The Descent.”
(d) “Paris Atomized.”
14. It is November of what year that a sailor on the Orion falls off one of the ship’s masts in Book II of Part II – Cosette?
15. Charles Myriel was forced to flee Italy during the French Revolution of what year?
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift does Jean Valjean give to Cosette in Book III of Part II – Cosette?
2. The police inspector in Montreuil threatens Fantine with what jail sentence for attacking a man who insulted her in Part I – Fantine?
3. How much money does Jean Valjean offer Fauchelevent to let him and Cosette spend the night at his lodgings in Book V of Part II – Cosette?
4. In Book VI of Part I – Fantine, Javert claims that he has positively identified Champmathieu as Valjean and states that he is leaving for where to testify in the trial the following day?
5. What is the title of Book I in Part I – Fantine?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)