|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what date was the Battle of Waterloo fought?
(a) June 18, 1815.
(b) May 4, 1813.
(c) September 27, 1817.
(d) January 11, 1812.
2. Where does Cosette enroll in school in Book VIII of Part II – Cosette?
(a) In Belgium.
(b) In England.
(c) At a public Paris school.
(d) At the convent.
3. Jean Valjean crosses the River Seine over what in Book V of Part II – Cosette?
(a) The St. Mark’s Cathedral.
(b) The Austerlitz Bridge.
(c) The River Thames.
(d) The Eiffel Tower.
4. Where in France does the novel begin in Book I of Part I – Fantine?
5. What is the title of Book III in Part I – Fantine?
(a) “To Trust is Sometimes to Surrender.”
(b) “Paris Atomized.”
(c) “Cemeteries Take What is Given Them.”
(d) “In the Year 1817.”
6. The narrator says that Monsieur Madeleine arrived in Montreuil in what year in Book V of Part I – Fantine?
7. Fauchelevent tells Valjean that he and Cosette are in the garden of what convent in Book V of Part II – Cosette?
(d) Gorbeau House.
8. When did Monsieur Madeleine become mayor of Montreuil?
9. What is the name of Fantine’s daughter in Part I – Fantine?
(c) Mademoiselle Gillenormand.
(d) Mademoiselle Baptistine.
10. To how many years in prison was Jean Valjean initially sentenced for stealing a loaf of bread?
11. What is the title of Book V of Part I – Fantine?
(a) “Paris Atomized.”
(b) “The Descent.”
(c) “A Dark Chase Requires a Silent Hound.”
(d) “A Counter-Blow.”
12. What are the two luxuries that Charles Myriel holds onto out of consideration for his housekeeper?
(a) A fireplace and a bear rug.
(b) A gas lamp and indoor plumbing.
(c) A silk robe and a dishwasher.
(d) A set of silverware and two silver candlesticks.
13. In Book VI of Part I – Fantine, Javert claims that he has positively identified Champmathieu as Valjean and states that he is leaving for where to testify in the trial the following day?
14. Why was Jean Valjean’s prison sentence extended?
(a) For fighting.
(b) For talking back to the guards.
(c) For attempting escape.
(d) For going on a hunger strike.
15. Whom does Jean Valjean rescue in Part I – Fantine by lifting him from underneath a fallen carriage?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years have passed since Jean Valjean’s first encounter with M. Myriel in Book III of Part I – Fantine?
2. For how many years has Jean Valjean been in prison when his character is introduced in Part I – Fantine?
3. Fantine is fired from her job at the factory for what reason in Book V of Part I – Fantine?
4. What is the second thing that Fantine sells in order to make money when she becomes desperate after losing her job at the factory?
5. What is the title of Book IV of Part I – Fantine?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)