|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part II - Cosette.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the title of Book IV of Part I – Fantine?
(a) “A Dark Chase Requires a Silent Hound.”
(b) “Cemeteries Take What is Given Them.”
(c) “To Trust is Sometimes to Surrender.”
(d) “Paris Atomized.”
2. What holiday is it when Cosette is introduced in Book III of Part II – Cosette?
(a) Easter Sunday.
(b) New Year's Eve.
(d) Christmas Eve.
3. By what year does the narrator say in Book VII of Part II – Cosette that there are no new recruits and the nuns of the convent begin to die off?
4. What is the title of Book VIII of Part II – Cosette?
(a) “Cemeteries Take What is Given Them.”
(b) “Paris Atomized.”
(c) “The Excellence of Misfortune.”
5. Fauchelevent helps Jean Valjean secure work as what in Book VIII of Part II – Cosette?
(a) A banker.
(b) A lumberjack.
(c) A gardener.
(d) A bellhop.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does M. Myriel insist that Jean Valjean take with him when he is brought back to Myriel’s home by the police?
2. What are the names of the Thénardiers’ two daughters whom they spoil?
3. What is the name of the boy from whom Jean Valjean steals a silver coin in Part I – Fantine?
4. To how many years in prison was Jean Valjean initially sentenced for stealing a loaf of bread?
5. Who is Cosette’s mother in the novel?
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)