|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III - Marius.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Monasticism, the narrator claims in Book VII of Part II – Cosette, leads only to social isolation and what?
(a) Sexual impropriety.
(b) Lack of education.
(d) Religious fanaticism.
2. Marius Pontmercy’s father was a colonel in whose army?
(a) Gavroche Pontmercy.
(b) Enjolras Pontmercy.
(c) Georges Pontmercy.
(d) Theodule Pontmercy.
3. Jean Valjean tells the landlady at the Gorbeau House that Cosette is what in Book II of Part II – Cosette?
(a) His aunt.
(b) His granddaughter.
(c) His daughter.
(d) His niece.
4. What does Eponine write on a piece of paper to prove she’s literate in Book VIII of Part III – Marius?
(a) “This is my name.”
(b) “I’m being held prisoner.”
(c) “The cops are here.”
(d) “Please help me.”
5. Who is Cosette’s mother in the novel?
(c) Madame Thenardier.
(d) Madame Magloire.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how many years has Jean Valjean been in prison when his character is introduced in Part I – Fantine?
2. What is the name of the boy from whom Jean Valjean steals a silver coin in Part I – Fantine?
3. What is the name of the old road-mender seen digging holes in the forest in Montfermeil in Book II of Part II – Cosette?
4. What is written on the message that Marius hurls through the window in Book VIII of Part III – Marius?
5. What is Book III’s title in Part III – Marius?
This section contains 251 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)