Part I - Fantine
1. What is the title of Book I in Part I – Fantine?
(a) “To Trust is Sometimes to Surrender.”
(b) “A Just Man.”
(c) “The Descent.”
(d) “In the Year 1817.”
2. What is Charles Myriel’s position within the Church in Part I – Fantine?
(a) He is a Pope.
(b) He is a Cardinal.
(c) He is a priest.
(d) He is a Bishop.
3. Where in France does the novel begin in Book I of Part I – Fantine?
4. In what year was Charles Myriel born?
5. Charles Myriel was forced to flee Italy during the French Revolution of what year?
6. With whom did Charles Myriel have a chance encounter in 1806 which led to his current position?
(a) Napoleon Bonaparte.
(b) Jean-Jacques Dessalines.
(c) Louis XVIII.
(d) Adolphe Thiers.
7. What are the two luxuries that Charles Myriel holds onto out of consideration for his housekeeper?
(a) A silk robe and a dishwasher.
(b) A fireplace and a bear rug.
(c) A set of silverware and two silver candlesticks.
(d) A gas lamp and indoor plumbing.
This section contains 4,502 words
(approx. 16 pages at 300 words per page)