|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Cécile when Valmont's door opens while they are together?
(a) She goes mad and must be institutionalized.
(b) She faints, then wakes to formulate an explanation.
(c) She has a seizure and miscarries.
(d) She decides to run away and live on the streets.
2. What does Cécile do that surprises her mother?
(a) Confesses the truth of her relationship with Valmont.
(b) Begs to die like Madame de Tourvel.
(c) Goes to a convent to become a nun.
(d) Vehemently expresses her disgust for Merteuil.
3. For what does Cécile blame herself the most?
(a) She thinks she should have resisted Valmont more.
(b) She thinks her mother was sad and disappointed.
(c) She thinks of Danceny too much.
(d) She broke a promise to Valmont.
4. What does Valmont entice Danceny to do?
(a) Choose Merteuil, an experienced lover, over Cécile, an ignorant girl.
(b) Use one of Cécile's maids as a way to practice his sexual technique.
(c) Abandon his excursion with Merteuil in favor of secretly meeting with Cécile.
(d) Apologize to Madame de Volanges for leading her daughter astray.
5. What about Valmont worries Madame de Tourvel?
(a) The state of his health.
(b) His plans to travel to Italy.
(c) His relationship with Cécile.
(d) His lack of interest in her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reason for Valmont's seduction of Madame de Tourvel, according to what Valmont tells Merteuil in letter 133?
2. What does Merteuil advise Valmont to tell Madame de Tourvel?
3. Upon what does Merteuil instruct Danceny in letter 121?
4. Upon what does Valmont blame the incident which causes Madame de Tourvel to think Valmont does not love her?
5. Which category of women does Merteuil consider the most worthwhile?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)