|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Madame de Tourvel reveal to Valmont in letter 90?
(a) That she loves him.
(b) That she needs to leave the country.
(c) That she is dying.
(d) That she hates him.
2. To whom does Valmont write to ask about seeing Madame de Tourvel?
(a) To her untrustworthy maid.
(b) To her confessor, Father Anselme.
(c) To her husband, Monsieur de Tourvel.
(d) To her good friend, Madame de Volanges.
3. Why is Madame de Tourvel suddenly convinced that Valmont no longer loves her?
(a) She observes signs of his disinterest.
(b) She saw a vision of her husband.
(c) She received a cold, dismissive letter from him.
(d) She saw him in the company of a prostitute.
4. How does Cécile respond to Valmont's suggestion about their secret correspondence?
(a) She asks to speak to Danceny directly.
(b) She refuses to steal her mother's key.
(c) She suggests they use a third party to pass their letters.
(d) She agrees to Valmont's request for more time.
5. How did Merteuil become adept at controlling her facial features?
(a) As a child, her tutor of manners was strict and taught her well.
(b) By observing how other people conceal what they think or feel.
(c) Her time as an actress gave her opportunities to practice facial expressions.
(d) She woke up one day and was suddenly able to control her features.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Valmont and Madame de Tourvel's first sexual encounter go?
2. What does Valmont suspect about Cécile?
3. Upon what does Valmont blame the incident which causes Madame de Tourvel to think Valmont does not love her?
4. What has Merteuil begun to think about Belleroche?
5. Who is Valmont's valet?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Merteuil develop into a master manipulator?
2. Summarize Bertrand's letters to Madame de Rosemonde.
3. What happens between Valmont and Madame de Tourvel that shocks and angers Valmont, and why does he react so strongly?
4. Summarize the problem Madame de Tourvel sees preventing her and Valmont from having a relationship, and how Valmont circumvents her hesitation.
5. What subterfuge does Valmont suggest to Cécile in order to get Danceny's letters to her?
6. What is the reward Valmont claims from Merteuil, and how does Merteuil respond to this?
7. How does Madame de Volanges respond to Cécile's depression?
8. What is Merteuil's next plan for seduction? How does Valmont react?
9. How does Danceny explain his behavior to Madame de Rosemonde?
10. Describe how Madame de Tourvel changes after being abandoned by Valmont.
This section contains 1,129 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)