|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the tone of Cécile's letter to Merteuil after her encounter with Valmont?
(a) Excited and jocular.
(b) Proud and haughty.
(c) Quiet and reserved.
(d) Ashamed and confused.
2. In letter 147, what startling news does Madame de Volanges notify Madame de Rosemonde of?
(a) Danceny's agonized decision to take orders as a clergyman.
(b) Madame de Tourvel's sudden, serious illness.
(c) Valmont's duel with Monsieur de Tourvel.
(d) Cécile's pregnancy.
3. What does Danceny complain to Merteuil about in letter 118?
(a) Cécile's coyness about his love for her.
(b) Valmont's relationship with Cécile.
(c) Merteuil's lover, Belleroche.
(d) Their current inability to be with each other.
4. For what does Cécile blame herself the most?
(a) She thinks she should have resisted Valmont more.
(b) She thinks of Danceny too much.
(c) She broke a promise to Valmont.
(d) She thinks her mother was sad and disappointed.
5. How does Danceny respond upon learning of Valmont's treachery?
(a) By calling for Valmont's arrest.
(b) By despairing and killing himself.
(c) By challenging Valmont to a duel.
(d) By telling Cécile.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Madame de Tourvel reveal to Valmont in letter 90?
2. What does Valmont do when alone with Cécile in her room?
3. What does Valmont tell Danceny in letter 89?
4. What does Danceny resolve to do at the end of the novel?
5. Whom does Merteuil target for her next seduction?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news of Valmont does Madame de Rosemonde give Madame de Tourvel, and how does Madame de Tourvel react?
2. Describe Merteuil's end in the novel.
3. Describe Merteuil's warning to Valmont about his reputation in Paris.
4. Describe Valmont's response to Merteuil's affair with Danceny.
5. What is the reward Valmont claims from Merteuil, and how does Merteuil respond to this?
6. Describe Madame de Tourvel's dictated, unaddressed letter which Madame de Volanges sends to Madame de Rosemonde.
7. What happens between Valmont and Madame de Tourvel that shocks and angers Valmont, and why does he react so strongly?
8. How did Merteuil develop into a master manipulator?
9. What is Madame de Rosemonde's advice to Madame de Tourvel regarding her feelings for Valmont?
10. Describe how Madame de Tourvel changes after being abandoned by Valmont.
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)