|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Cécile when Valmont's door opens while they are together?
(a) She decides to run away and live on the streets.
(b) She goes mad and must be institutionalized.
(c) She has a seizure and miscarries.
(d) She faints, then wakes to formulate an explanation.
2. What does Valmont suspect about Cécile?
(a) That she has seduced him.
(b) That she is unwittingly pregnant.
(c) That she is carrying on with Danceny.
(d) That she has fallen in love with him.
3. How did Merteuil approach sex on her wedding night?
(a) As a boring chore to complete.
(b) As an experience to observe.
(c) As a trial to overcome.
(d) As a horrifying violation to fear.
4. Why is Merteuil's maid trustworthy?
(a) The maid is Merteuil's daughter.
(b) Merteuil knows her maid's greatest secret.
(c) Merteuil pays the maid an exorbitant salary for her cooperation.
(d) Merteuil threatened to kill the maid if she betrays Merteuil.
5. How does Merteuil think of Madame de Tourvel?
(a) As a no-good whore.
(b) As a rival whom she defeated.
(c) As a sorry case to be pitied.
(d) As a pupil whom she trained.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Merteuil advise Madame de Volanges regarding Cécile?
2. What opinion about love does Merteuil voice to Valmont?
3. What does Valmont entice Danceny to do?
4. What does Merteuil think is dull above all else?
5. What is the reason for Valmont's seduction of Madame de Tourvel, according to what Valmont tells Merteuil in letter 133?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)