|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Gercourt wish to delay his and Cécile's marriage?
(a) He wishes for time to allow Cécile to grow up.
(b) He has cold feet.
(c) He wants to travel in Italy with a relative.
(d) His regiment will move further away.
2. What does Madame de Rosemonde offer Madame de Tourvel in her return letter?
(a) Censure, chastisement, and disappointment.
(b) Happiness, joy, and congratulations.
(c) Confusion, curiosity, and ignorance.
(d) Understanding, forgiveness, and hope.
3. What does Merteuil advise Madame de Volanges regarding Cécile?
(a) To shut her away in a convent.
(b) To disown her and throw her out on the street.
(c) To maintain her engagement to Gercourt.
(d) To allow her to elope with Danceny.
4. What does Valmont know Merteuil dislikes reading about?
(a) She dislikes reading Valmont's preachy advice.
(b) She dislikes reading about Valmont's progress with Madame de Tourvel.
(c) She dislikes reading about Valmont's past seductions.
(d) She dislikes reading about Cécile's progress with Danceny.
5. What is the ultimatum Valmont offers Merteuil?
(a) He demands that she publish her collection of letters, or he will.
(b) He demands that she submit to him or die.
(c) He resolves to be either her lover or her enemy.
(d) He offers a life of pleasure or a life of regret.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news does Bertrand bring to Madame de Rosemonde?
2. What does Merteuil advise Cécile to do after being raped by Valmont?
3. By letter 148, whom has Danceny taken as a lover?
4. What reflection does Madame de Rosemonde offer to Danceny in letter 171?
5. How does Madame de Rosemonde respond to Madame de Tourvel's news concerning herself and Valmont?
This section contains 363 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)