|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Merteuil approach sex on her wedding night?
(a) As a boring chore to complete.
(b) As a trial to overcome.
(c) As an experience to observe.
(d) As a horrifying violation to fear.
2. Why is Merteuil's maid trustworthy?
(a) The maid is Merteuil's daughter.
(b) Merteuil pays the maid an exorbitant salary for her cooperation.
(c) Merteuil threatened to kill the maid if she betrays Merteuil.
(d) Merteuil knows her maid's greatest secret.
3. Whom does Cécile enlist as help in her escapades with her lover?
(a) The house porter.
(b) Her old nurse.
(c) Her mother's cook.
(d) Valmont's butler.
4. How does Merteuil's story end?
(a) She is bankrupt, disfigured, and shunned.
(b) She travels the Continent to seduce more men.
(c) She becomes celebrated, adored, and idolized.
(d) She goes into hiding and assumes a false name.
5. What news does Bertrand bring to Madame de Rosemonde?
(a) The news of Valmont's triumph.
(b) The news of Cécile's insanity.
(c) The news of Valmont's death.
(d) The news of Madame de Volanges' death.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Cécile respond to Merteuil's advice about her relationship with Valmont?
2. What does Madame de Tourvel confess to Madame de Rosemonde?
3. What does Merteuil worry about Madame de Volanges?
4. Whom does Merteuil target for her next seduction?
5. How does Merteuil think of Madame de Tourvel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Madame de Rosemonde's advice to Madame de Tourvel regarding her feelings for Valmont?
2. Summarize the content of the "letter" that Merteuil dictates to Valmont about his apparent love of Madame de Tourvel.
3. How does Valmont thwart Merteuil with regards to Danceny?
4. How does Danceny explain his behavior to Madame de Rosemonde?
5. What event causes Madame de Tourvel to think Valmont does not love her? How does Valmont's respond?
6. Whom does Valmont enlist to help him communicate and meet with Madame de Tourvel? How does this person respond?
7. How did Merteuil develop into a master manipulator?
8. How does Merteuil respond to Cécile's news about Valmont's actions?
9. What does Valmont vow about his seduction of Madame de Tourvel, and how does he plan to carry out his plan?
10. What news of Valmont does Madame de Rosemonde give Madame de Tourvel, and how does Madame de Tourvel react?
This section contains 1,114 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)