|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Valmont's valet count on to get him access to Madame de Tourvel?
(a) No one.
(b) Valmont's friend, Étienne.
(c) Her brother, Andres.
(d) Her maid, Julie.
2. What does Valmont know Merteuil dislikes reading about?
(a) She dislikes reading Valmont's preachy advice.
(b) She dislikes reading about Valmont's past seductions.
(c) She dislikes reading about Valmont's progress with Madame de Tourvel.
(d) She dislikes reading about Cécile's progress with Danceny.
3. Why has Merteuil never remarried?
(a) She dislikes anyone having the right to complain about her behavior.
(b) She never meets anyone, but boring old men.
(c) She wants to retain independent control of her fortune.
(d) She is averse to the idea of belonging to one man.
4. How does Merteuil's story end?
(a) She goes into hiding and assumes a false name.
(b) She becomes celebrated, adored, and idolized.
(c) She travels the Continent to seduce more men.
(d) She is bankrupt, disfigured, and shunned.
5. Whom does Cécile enlist as help in her escapades with her lover?
(a) Her mother's cook.
(b) Valmont's butler.
(c) The house porter.
(d) Her old nurse.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Merteuil worry about Madame de Volanges?
2. How does Merteuil decide that Prévan is attempting to seduce her?
3. Upon what does Valmont blame the incident which causes Madame de Tourvel to think Valmont does not love her?
4. What news does Bertrand bring to Madame de Rosemonde?
5. What advice does Madame de Volanges ask of Merteuil?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)