|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the person whom Valmont sent to Madame de Tourvel do?
(a) The person told the legal authorities about Valmont's activities.
(b) The person suggested Madame de Tourvel run away.
(c) The person convinced her to see Valmont.
(d) The person argued against Valmont's case.
2. Upon what does Merteuil instruct Danceny in letter 121?
(a) Upon his lovemaking technique.
(b) Upon his duties to his order of knights.
(c) Upon improving his contrived writing style.
(d) Upon his communications with Madame de Volanges.
3. What does Danceny complain to Merteuil about in letter 118?
(a) Merteuil's lover, Belleroche.
(b) Their current inability to be with each other.
(c) Cécile's coyness about his love for her.
(d) Valmont's relationship with Cécile.
4. How does Merteuil decide that Prévan is attempting to seduce her?
(a) She asks her friend, the Maréchale, whether Prévan mentioned her.
(b) She refuses to play cards, and he follows her lead.
(c) She eavesdrops on his conversation with the Bishop.
(d) She asks him directly whether he is interested in her, and he demurs.
5. What does Danceny entrust to Madame de Rosemonde?
(a) All of the lyric poetry he wrote for Cécile.
(b) The secret of Valmont and Madame de Tourvel's relationship.
(c) Valmont's entire correspondence with Merteuil.
(d) Cécile's honor as Madame de Rosemonde's ward.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Prévan after Merteuil gets done with him?
2. How did Merteuil approach sex on her wedding night?
3. What does Valmont entice Danceny to do?
4. Whom does Cécile enlist as help in her escapades with her lover?
5. How did Merteuil become adept at controlling her facial features?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize Merteuil's tale of her ruination of Prévan's.
2. How does Danceny explain his behavior to Madame de Rosemonde?
3. Describe Merteuil's warning to Valmont about his reputation in Paris.
4. Describe how Madame de Tourvel changes after being abandoned by Valmont.
5. Describe Valmont's response to Merteuil's affair with Danceny.
6. What is Madame de Rosemonde's advice to Madame de Tourvel regarding her feelings for Valmont?
7. What is the content and tone of Danceny's letters to Merteuil?
8. Describe what Valmont does when he gets the key to Cécile's room.
9. Describe Madame de Tourvel's dictated, unaddressed letter which Madame de Volanges sends to Madame de Rosemonde.
10. What subterfuge does Valmont suggest to Cécile in order to get Danceny's letters to her?
This section contains 1,165 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)