|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Merteuil worry about Madame de Volanges?
(a) That everyone will discover it was a sham.
(b) That the business with Prévan will damage her reputation.
(c) That no one will believe Merteuil's version of events.
(d) That maybe she really loves Prévan.
2. How does Danceny respond upon learning of Valmont's treachery?
(a) By despairing and killing himself.
(b) By telling Cécile.
(c) By calling for Valmont's arrest.
(d) By challenging Valmont to a duel.
3. What does Madame de Rosemonde advise Madame de Volanges do about Cécile?
(a) Punish her by depriving her of attention.
(b) Leave her to her own immoral devices.
(c) Encourage her to marry the Comte de Gercourt.
(d) Allow her to take the veil.
4. Whom does Valmont's valet count on to get him access to Madame de Tourvel?
(a) Valmont's friend, Étienne.
(b) No one.
(c) Her maid, Julie.
(d) Her brother, Andres.
5. What is Madame de Tourvel's mindset in letter 161?
(a) Thoughtful and contemplative.
(b) Disturbed and disorganized.
(c) Sad and lonely.
(d) Clear and coherent.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Madame de Tourvel feel about Valmont?
2. How does Merteuil's story end?
3. How does Cécile respond to Merteuil's advice about her relationship with Valmont?
4. To whom does Valmont write to ask about seeing Madame de Tourvel?
5. What does Valmont entice Danceny to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What subterfuge does Valmont suggest to Cécile in order to get Danceny's letters to her?
2. Whom does Valmont enlist to help him communicate and meet with Madame de Tourvel? How does this person respond?
3. What is the reward Valmont claims from Merteuil, and how does Merteuil respond to this?
4. What arguments does Valmont use to convince Madame de Tourvel to see him?
5. Describe Merteuil's warning to Valmont about his reputation in Paris.
6. How does Danceny explain his behavior to Madame de Rosemonde?
7. What news of Valmont does Madame de Rosemonde give Madame de Tourvel, and how does Madame de Tourvel react?
8. What is the general content of the letter Azolan, Valmont's valet, writes to Valmont?
9. How did Merteuil develop into a master manipulator?
10. Summarize the content of the "letter" that Merteuil dictates to Valmont about his apparent love of Madame de Tourvel.
This section contains 1,109 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)