|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Valmont asserts that a girl who has no respect for her mother will what?
(a) Have concerns about sex.
(b) Have a moral mindset.
(c) Have no idea what love is about.
(d) Have no self-respect, either.
2. What does Madame de Tourvel regret in letter 124?
(a) That she must be forever miserable for sacrificing Valmont.
(b) That she lost Madame de Rosemonde's respect.
(c) That Valmont returned all her letters instead of keeping them.
(d) That she must agree to whatever Valmont asks of her.
3. What does Valmont instruct his valet to do in Paris?
(a) Beg to Merteuil for help on Valmont's behalf.
(b) Pretend to be in love with Madame de Tourvel.
(c) Enlist the help of Danceny in seducing Madame de Tourvel.
(d) Spy on Madame de Tourvel.
4. What does Madame de Tourvel send to Madame de Rosemonde?
(a) A lock of her own hair.
(b) Valmont's cruel letter.
(c) Madame de Volanges' private correspondence.
(d) A suicide note.
5. How did Merteuil approach sex on her wedding night?
(a) As a boring chore to complete.
(b) As a trial to overcome.
(c) As an experience to observe.
(d) As a horrifying violation to fear.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Madame de Rosemonde offer Madame de Tourvel in her return letter?
2. What does Merteuil advise Valmont to tell Madame de Tourvel?
3. What is the ultimatum Valmont offers Merteuil?
4. What does Merteuil worry about Madame de Volanges?
5. How does Cécile respond to Valmont's suggestion about their secret correspondence?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Madame de Tourvel's dictated, unaddressed letter which Madame de Volanges sends to Madame de Rosemonde.
2. Describe Merteuil's end in the novel.
3. What is the reward Valmont claims from Merteuil, and how does Merteuil respond to this?
4. Summarize the content of the "letter" that Merteuil dictates to Valmont about his apparent love of Madame de Tourvel.
5. How does Merteuil respond to Cécile's news about Valmont's actions?
6. Whom does Valmont enlist to help him communicate and meet with Madame de Tourvel? How does this person respond?
7. Describe Valmont's response to Merteuil's affair with Danceny.
8. How does Valmont thwart Merteuil with regards to Danceny?
9. What news of Valmont does Madame de Rosemonde give Madame de Tourvel, and how does Madame de Tourvel react?
10. What is Merteuil's next plan for seduction? How does Valmont react?
This section contains 1,180 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)