|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Valmont entice Danceny to do?
(a) Abandon his excursion with Merteuil in favor of secretly meeting with Cécile.
(b) Use one of Cécile's maids as a way to practice his sexual technique.
(c) Apologize to Madame de Volanges for leading her daughter astray.
(d) Choose Merteuil, an experienced lover, over Cécile, an ignorant girl.
2. What does Madame de Rosemonde offer Madame de Tourvel in her return letter?
(a) Understanding, forgiveness, and hope.
(b) Confusion, curiosity, and ignorance.
(c) Censure, chastisement, and disappointment.
(d) Happiness, joy, and congratulations.
3. How does Danceny respond upon learning of Valmont's treachery?
(a) By telling Cécile.
(b) By challenging Valmont to a duel.
(c) By calling for Valmont's arrest.
(d) By despairing and killing himself.
4. How did Merteuil become adept at controlling her facial features?
(a) Her time as an actress gave her opportunities to practice facial expressions.
(b) She woke up one day and was suddenly able to control her features.
(c) As a child, her tutor of manners was strict and taught her well.
(d) By observing how other people conceal what they think or feel.
5. What did the person whom Valmont sent to Madame de Tourvel do?
(a) The person argued against Valmont's case.
(b) The person convinced her to see Valmont.
(c) The person suggested Madame de Tourvel run away.
(d) The person told the legal authorities about Valmont's activities.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Merteuil think is dull above all else?
2. To whom does Valmont write to ask about seeing Madame de Tourvel?
3. What does Madame de Tourvel regret in letter 124?
4. What advice does Madame de Volanges ask of Merteuil?
5. In letter 147, what startling news does Madame de Volanges notify Madame de Rosemonde of?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Merteuil respond to Cécile's news about Valmont's actions?
2. Describe Valmont's response to Merteuil's affair with Danceny.
3. How does Danceny explain his behavior to Madame de Rosemonde?
4. Whom does Valmont enlist to help him communicate and meet with Madame de Tourvel? How does this person respond?
5. What happens between Valmont and Madame de Tourvel that shocks and angers Valmont, and why does he react so strongly?
6. What arguments does Valmont use to convince Madame de Tourvel to see him?
7. What subterfuge does Valmont suggest to Cécile in order to get Danceny's letters to her?
8. Describe Madame de Tourvel's dictated, unaddressed letter which Madame de Volanges sends to Madame de Rosemonde.
9. Summarize Merteuil's tale of her ruination of Prévan's.
10. Summarize the content of the "letter" that Merteuil dictates to Valmont about his apparent love of Madame de Tourvel.
This section contains 1,214 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)