|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What action does Valmont propose to Cécile to facilitate their secret correspondence?
(a) Cécile and Danceny should disguise their handwriting and use the regular postal service.
(b) Cécile and Valmont should not write, but only speak privately.
(c) Cécile should suggest that her mother leave Cécile alone at the country estate.
(d) Cécile should steal her mother's key to Cécile's own room.
2. What has been the effect of Madame de Tourvel's separation from Valmont?
(a) She loves him more than ever.
(b) She realizes how much he manipulated her.
(c) She finds another man to love.
(d) His memory receded from her mind.
3. What is the reason for Valmont's seduction of Madame de Tourvel, according to what Valmont tells Merteuil in letter 133?
(a) Valmont was bored and wanted a project to occupy his time.
(b) Valmont wanted to investigate his own seductive powers.
(c) Valmont felt he needed more practice at ordinary seductions.
(d) Valmont gladly took on Madame de Tourvel's seduction on a dare.
4. How does Cécile respond to Merteuil's advice about her relationship with Valmont?
(a) She agrees with Merteuil and decides to enjoy Valmont's company.
(b) She rebels against Merteuil and elopes with Danceny.
(c) She disagrees with Merteuil and resolves never to see Valmont again.
(d) She is confused and asks Merteuil if she really means what she wrote.
5. What does Cécile assert to Danceny after his letter reveals his suspicions?
(a) That if they will both be unhappy, it won't be entirely her fault.
(b) That her mother will never discover Cécile's plan.
(c) That she and Valmont decided not to listen to Danceny.
(d) That she will refuse to see him again.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news does Bertrand bring to Madame de Rosemonde?
2. How long has Valmont spent seducing Madame de Tourvel?
3. What does Merteuil worry about Madame de Volanges?
4. How does Cécile respond to Valmont's suggestion about their secret correspondence?
5. How does Merteuil increase sympathy for herself?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)