|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In letter 147, what startling news does Madame de Volanges notify Madame de Rosemonde of?
(a) Madame de Tourvel's sudden, serious illness.
(b) Valmont's duel with Monsieur de Tourvel.
(c) Cécile's pregnancy.
(d) Danceny's agonized decision to take orders as a clergyman.
2. What is the ultimatum Valmont offers Merteuil?
(a) He demands that she submit to him or die.
(b) He offers a life of pleasure or a life of regret.
(c) He demands that she publish her collection of letters, or he will.
(d) He resolves to be either her lover or her enemy.
3. What action does Valmont propose to Cécile to facilitate their secret correspondence?
(a) Cécile and Valmont should not write, but only speak privately.
(b) Cécile and Danceny should disguise their handwriting and use the regular postal service.
(c) Cécile should steal her mother's key to Cécile's own room.
(d) Cécile should suggest that her mother leave Cécile alone at the country estate.
4. What does Merteuil effectively refuse to do with Valmont?
(a) Mentor Cécile for him.
(b) Have a sexual relationship with him.
(c) Share seduction stories.
(d) Cover up for him.
5. What does Danceny entrust to Madame de Rosemonde?
(a) All of the lyric poetry he wrote for Cécile.
(b) Valmont's entire correspondence with Merteuil.
(c) Cécile's honor as Madame de Rosemonde's ward.
(d) The secret of Valmont and Madame de Tourvel's relationship.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the unsigned note to Danceny communicate?
2. What does Merteuil assert that Madame de Tourvel is doing to Valmont?
3. Upon what does Merteuil instruct Danceny in letter 121?
4. What is Madame de Tourvel's reaction upon being left alone in her room with Valmont?
5. What does Merteuil think is dull above all else?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the content and tone of Danceny's letters to Merteuil?
2. How does Merteuil respond to Cécile's news about Valmont's actions?
3. What does Valmont vow about his seduction of Madame de Tourvel, and how does he plan to carry out his plan?
4. What news of Valmont does Madame de Rosemonde give Madame de Tourvel, and how does Madame de Tourvel react?
5. Describe Merteuil's warning to Valmont about his reputation in Paris.
6. Describe how Madame de Tourvel changes after being abandoned by Valmont.
7. Summarize the content of the "letter" that Merteuil dictates to Valmont about his apparent love of Madame de Tourvel.
8. How does Danceny explain his behavior to Madame de Rosemonde?
9. How does Valmont thwart Merteuil with regards to Danceny?
10. Summarize Bertrand's letters to Madame de Rosemonde.
This section contains 1,161 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)