|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Merteuil increase sympathy for herself?
(a) She claims to have been raped.
(b) She keeps quiet and the mystery deepens.
(c) She pretends to be ill.
(d) She asserts that Prévan robbed her.
2. Valmont asserts that a girl who has no respect for her mother will what?
(a) Have a moral mindset.
(b) Have concerns about sex.
(c) Have no self-respect, either.
(d) Have no idea what love is about.
3. What about Valmont worries Madame de Tourvel?
(a) His plans to travel to Italy.
(b) His lack of interest in her.
(c) The state of his health.
(d) His relationship with Cécile.
4. How does Madame de Rosemonde respond to Madame de Tourvel's news concerning herself and Valmont?
(a) With rage and harsh words.
(b) With calm, pious acceptance.
(c) With confusion and curiosity.
(d) With disappointment and censure.
5. Why is Madame de Tourvel suddenly convinced that Valmont no longer loves her?
(a) She received a cold, dismissive letter from him.
(b) She observes signs of his disinterest.
(c) She saw a vision of her husband.
(d) She saw him in the company of a prostitute.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Madame de Tourvel send to Madame de Rosemonde?
2. What opinion about love does Merteuil voice to Valmont?
3. What does Valmont do when alone with Cécile in her room?
4. What does Merteuil worry about Madame de Volanges?
5. What has Merteuil begun to think about Belleroche?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Madame de Volanges respond to Cécile's depression?
2. Describe what Valmont does when he gets the key to Cécile's room.
3. Describe Merteuil's end in the novel.
4. Whom does Valmont enlist to help him communicate and meet with Madame de Tourvel? How does this person respond?
5. What is the content and tone of Danceny's letters to Merteuil?
6. What does Valmont vow about his seduction of Madame de Tourvel, and how does he plan to carry out his plan?
7. How does Danceny explain his behavior to Madame de Rosemonde?
8. What subterfuge does Valmont suggest to Cécile in order to get Danceny's letters to her?
9. What happens between Valmont and Madame de Tourvel that shocks and angers Valmont, and why does he react so strongly?
10. What news of Valmont does Madame de Rosemonde give Madame de Tourvel, and how does Madame de Tourvel react?
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)