|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Madame de Tourvel suddenly convinced that Valmont no longer loves her?
(a) She received a cold, dismissive letter from him.
(b) She observes signs of his disinterest.
(c) She saw him in the company of a prostitute.
(d) She saw a vision of her husband.
2. What does Valmont know Merteuil dislikes reading about?
(a) She dislikes reading about Valmont's past seductions.
(b) She dislikes reading about Valmont's progress with Madame de Tourvel.
(c) She dislikes reading Valmont's preachy advice.
(d) She dislikes reading about Cécile's progress with Danceny.
3. What has been the effect of Madame de Tourvel's separation from Valmont?
(a) She finds another man to love.
(b) She loves him more than ever.
(c) She realizes how much he manipulated her.
(d) His memory receded from her mind.
4. How does Prévan get into Merteuil's room on the night of his apparent victory?
(a) She suggests he use a secret staircase.
(b) He rappels down from her roof.
(c) She suggests he disguise himself as a servant.
(d) He decides to climb her balcony.
5. What does Valmont entice Danceny to do?
(a) Apologize to Madame de Volanges for leading her daughter astray.
(b) Use one of Cécile's maids as a way to practice his sexual technique.
(c) Choose Merteuil, an experienced lover, over Cécile, an ignorant girl.
(d) Abandon his excursion with Merteuil in favor of secretly meeting with Cécile.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Valmont write to ask about seeing Madame de Tourvel?
2. What is Madame de Tourvel's mindset in letter 161?
3. What is Madame de Tourvel's reaction upon being left alone in her room with Valmont?
4. What is the ultimatum Valmont offers Merteuil?
5. What physical condition makes it difficult for Madame de Rosemonde to write letters?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the general content of the letter Azolan, Valmont's valet, writes to Valmont?
2. What is Merteuil's next plan for seduction? How does Valmont react?
3. How did Merteuil develop into a master manipulator?
4. How does Madame de Volanges respond to Cécile's depression?
5. What does Valmont vow about his seduction of Madame de Tourvel, and how does he plan to carry out his plan?
6. Describe Merteuil's warning to Valmont about his reputation in Paris.
7. What event causes Madame de Tourvel to think Valmont does not love her? How does Valmont's respond?
8. Summarize Bertrand's letters to Madame de Rosemonde.
9. How does Danceny explain his behavior to Madame de Rosemonde?
10. What arguments does Valmont use to convince Madame de Tourvel to see him?
This section contains 1,154 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)