|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Merteuil worry about Madame de Volanges?
(a) That the business with Prévan will damage her reputation.
(b) That no one will believe Merteuil's version of events.
(c) That maybe she really loves Prévan.
(d) That everyone will discover it was a sham.
2. How does Madame de Tourvel feel about Valmont?
(a) She pities him.
(b) She abhors him.
(c) She fears him.
(d) She idolizes him.
3. How does Cécile respond to Merteuil's advice about her relationship with Valmont?
(a) She disagrees with Merteuil and resolves never to see Valmont again.
(b) She agrees with Merteuil and decides to enjoy Valmont's company.
(c) She rebels against Merteuil and elopes with Danceny.
(d) She is confused and asks Merteuil if she really means what she wrote.
4. What does Valmont do when alone with Cécile in her room?
(a) He lectures her.
(b) He comforts her.
(c) He rapes her.
(d) He terrorizes her.
5. Upon what does Valmont blame the incident which causes Madame de Tourvel to think Valmont does not love her?
(a) Valmont's desire to help an old acquaintance.
(b) The plotting of Madame de Tourvel's husband.
(c) An innocent remark from Madame de Volanges.
(d) A case of mistaken identity.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Gercourt wish to delay his and Cécile's marriage?
2. What reflection does Madame de Rosemonde offer to Danceny in letter 171?
3. How does Danceny respond upon learning of Valmont's treachery?
4. What does Valmont know Merteuil dislikes reading about?
5. What advice does Madame de Volanges ask of Merteuil?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize Merteuil's tale of her ruination of Prévan's.
2. Describe Madame de Tourvel's dictated, unaddressed letter which Madame de Volanges sends to Madame de Rosemonde.
3. What subterfuge does Valmont suggest to Cécile in order to get Danceny's letters to her?
4. Summarize Bertrand's letters to Madame de Rosemonde.
5. Describe how Madame de Tourvel changes after being abandoned by Valmont.
6. Whom does Valmont enlist to help him communicate and meet with Madame de Tourvel? How does this person respond?
7. Describe Merteuil's end in the novel.
8. How does Valmont thwart Merteuil with regards to Danceny?
9. Summarize the content of the "letter" that Merteuil dictates to Valmont about his apparent love of Madame de Tourvel.
10. What is the general content of the letter Azolan, Valmont's valet, writes to Valmont?
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)