|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Merteuil's story end?
(a) She travels the Continent to seduce more men.
(b) She becomes celebrated, adored, and idolized.
(c) She is bankrupt, disfigured, and shunned.
(d) She goes into hiding and assumes a false name.
2. What does Danceny resolve to do at the end of the novel?
(a) Continue to love Cécile from afar until his dying day.
(b) Pine away and die a lonely, pitiful death.
(c) Collect the letters from everyone and publish them.
(d) Take vows as a member of the Knights of Malta.
3. Upon what does Merteuil instruct Danceny in letter 121?
(a) Upon his duties to his order of knights.
(b) Upon his communications with Madame de Volanges.
(c) Upon his lovemaking technique.
(d) Upon improving his contrived writing style.
4. What does Madame de Rosemonde offer Madame de Tourvel in her return letter?
(a) Understanding, forgiveness, and hope.
(b) Happiness, joy, and congratulations.
(c) Censure, chastisement, and disappointment.
(d) Confusion, curiosity, and ignorance.
5. What does Valmont do when alone with Cécile in her room?
(a) He comforts her.
(b) He terrorizes her.
(c) He rapes her.
(d) He lectures her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Madame de Rosemonde advise Madame de Volanges do about Cécile?
2. How does Madame de Rosemonde learn of Madame de Tourvel's death?
3. What does Madame de Tourvel do that makes Valmont despair?
4. To whom does Valmont write to ask about seeing Madame de Tourvel?
5. Whom does Merteuil target for her next seduction?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize Bertrand's letters to Madame de Rosemonde.
2. What happens between Valmont and Madame de Tourvel that shocks and angers Valmont, and why does he react so strongly?
3. How did Merteuil develop into a master manipulator?
4. How does Danceny explain his behavior to Madame de Rosemonde?
5. What event causes Madame de Tourvel to think Valmont does not love her? How does Valmont's respond?
6. What arguments does Valmont use to convince Madame de Tourvel to see him?
7. Describe what Valmont does when he gets the key to Cécile's room.
8. How does Madame de Volanges respond to Cécile's depression?
9. What is Merteuil's next plan for seduction? How does Valmont react?
10. Summarize the content of the "letter" that Merteuil dictates to Valmont about his apparent love of Madame de Tourvel.
This section contains 1,114 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)