|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Merteuil careful to say in Prévan's hearing when they meet for the second time?
(a) That she feels faint and needs to lie down.
(b) That she fancies a dashing young man.
(c) That she grows weary of widowhood.
(d) That she will be at home in two days.
2. How does Danceny respond upon learning of Valmont's treachery?
(a) By despairing and killing himself.
(b) By calling for Valmont's arrest.
(c) By challenging Valmont to a duel.
(d) By telling Cécile.
3. What advice does Madame de Volanges ask of Merteuil?
(a) Whether she should allow her daughter to marry Danceny.
(b) Whether she should move up the date of her daughter's wedding.
(c) Whether she should leave for Paris with Cécile.
(d) Whether she should ban Valmont from her home.
4. What action does Valmont propose to Cécile to facilitate their secret correspondence?
(a) Cécile and Valmont should not write, but only speak privately.
(b) Cécile and Danceny should disguise their handwriting and use the regular postal service.
(c) Cécile should suggest that her mother leave Cécile alone at the country estate.
(d) Cécile should steal her mother's key to Cécile's own room.
5. What does Valmont teach Cécile when they are alone together?
(a) How to become the next Merteuil.
(b) How to be modest and seem virginal for Gercourt.
(c) How to take precautions against pregnancy.
(d) Dirty language and sexual positions.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Merteuil target for her next seduction?
2. Why is Madame de Tourvel suddenly convinced that Valmont no longer loves her?
3. How did Merteuil become adept at controlling her facial features?
4. What does Valmont instruct his valet to do in Paris?
5. What does Madame de Rosemonde offer Madame de Tourvel in her return letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Merteuil's next plan for seduction? How does Valmont react?
2. Summarize the content of the "letter" that Merteuil dictates to Valmont about his apparent love of Madame de Tourvel.
3. Describe Madame de Tourvel's dictated, unaddressed letter which Madame de Volanges sends to Madame de Rosemonde.
4. How does Valmont thwart Merteuil with regards to Danceny?
5. What news of Valmont does Madame de Rosemonde give Madame de Tourvel, and how does Madame de Tourvel react?
6. What is the reward Valmont claims from Merteuil, and how does Merteuil respond to this?
7. What arguments does Valmont use to convince Madame de Tourvel to see him?
8. What event causes Madame de Tourvel to think Valmont does not love her? How does Valmont's respond?
9. Whom does Valmont enlist to help him communicate and meet with Madame de Tourvel? How does this person respond?
10. Describe what Valmont does when he gets the key to Cécile's room.
This section contains 1,235 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)