|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Merteuil approach sex on her wedding night?
(a) As an experience to observe.
(b) As a horrifying violation to fear.
(c) As a trial to overcome.
(d) As a boring chore to complete.
2. What is the tone of Cécile's letter to Merteuil after her encounter with Valmont?
(a) Excited and jocular.
(b) Proud and haughty.
(c) Quiet and reserved.
(d) Ashamed and confused.
3. What does Valmont order Merteuil to do?
(a) Abandon her affair with Danceny.
(b) Abandon her friendship with Madame de Volanges.
(c) Abandon her affair with Belleroche.
(d) Abandon her tutelage of Cécile.
4. What does Merteuil worry about Madame de Volanges?
(a) That maybe she really loves Prévan.
(b) That everyone will discover it was a sham.
(c) That the business with Prévan will damage her reputation.
(d) That no one will believe Merteuil's version of events.
5. How does Merteuil's story end?
(a) She is bankrupt, disfigured, and shunned.
(b) She goes into hiding and assumes a false name.
(c) She travels the Continent to seduce more men.
(d) She becomes celebrated, adored, and idolized.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advice does Madame de Volanges ask of Merteuil?
2. What does Merteuil assert that Madame de Tourvel is doing to Valmont?
3. How does Cécile respond to Valmont's suggestion about their secret correspondence?
4. What does Valmont teach Cécile when they are alone together?
5. How does Valmont and Madame de Tourvel's first sexual encounter go?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the content of the "letter" that Merteuil dictates to Valmont about his apparent love of Madame de Tourvel.
2. Summarize the problem Madame de Tourvel sees preventing her and Valmont from having a relationship, and how Valmont circumvents her hesitation.
3. Describe Merteuil's end in the novel.
4. What is the reward Valmont claims from Merteuil, and how does Merteuil respond to this?
5. How did Merteuil develop into a master manipulator?
6. Summarize Bertrand's letters to Madame de Rosemonde.
7. What does Valmont vow about his seduction of Madame de Tourvel, and how does he plan to carry out his plan?
8. What news of Valmont does Madame de Rosemonde give Madame de Tourvel, and how does Madame de Tourvel react?
9. Whom does Valmont enlist to help him communicate and meet with Madame de Tourvel? How does this person respond?
10. What is the content and tone of Danceny's letters to Merteuil?
This section contains 1,109 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)