|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Danceny do to Merteuil, as reported by Madame de Volanges in letter 168?
(a) He kills her in a fit of rage.
(b) He decides to forget her and the pain she caused.
(c) He publishes two of her shocking letters.
(d) He marries her in secret, then they run away to Italy.
2. What does Danceny complain to Merteuil about in letter 118?
(a) Valmont's relationship with Cécile.
(b) Their current inability to be with each other.
(c) Cécile's coyness about his love for her.
(d) Merteuil's lover, Belleroche.
3. How does Cécile respond to Merteuil's advice about her relationship with Valmont?
(a) She rebels against Merteuil and elopes with Danceny.
(b) She agrees with Merteuil and decides to enjoy Valmont's company.
(c) She is confused and asks Merteuil if she really means what she wrote.
(d) She disagrees with Merteuil and resolves never to see Valmont again.
4. How does Danceny respond upon learning of Valmont's treachery?
(a) By despairing and killing himself.
(b) By telling Cécile.
(c) By calling for Valmont's arrest.
(d) By challenging Valmont to a duel.
5. How does Merteuil increase sympathy for herself?
(a) She pretends to be ill.
(b) She keeps quiet and the mystery deepens.
(c) She asserts that Prévan robbed her.
(d) She claims to have been raped.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Valmont order Merteuil to do?
2. What does Valmont suspect about Cécile?
3. For what does Cécile blame herself the most?
4. How does Madame de Rosemonde respond to Madame de Tourvel's news concerning herself and Valmont?
5. What does Cécile do that surprises her mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What arguments does Valmont use to convince Madame de Tourvel to see him?
2. Describe what Valmont does when he gets the key to Cécile's room.
3. How does Danceny explain his behavior to Madame de Rosemonde?
4. What is the content and tone of Danceny's letters to Merteuil?
5. What is Merteuil's next plan for seduction? How does Valmont react?
6. Summarize the problem Madame de Tourvel sees preventing her and Valmont from having a relationship, and how Valmont circumvents her hesitation.
7. How does Valmont thwart Merteuil with regards to Danceny?
8. Summarize Merteuil's tale of her ruination of Prévan's.
9. Describe how Madame de Tourvel changes after being abandoned by Valmont.
10. Summarize the content of the "letter" that Merteuil dictates to Valmont about his apparent love of Madame de Tourvel.
This section contains 1,144 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)