|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Valmont asserts that a girl who has no respect for her mother will what?
(a) Have no idea what love is about.
(b) Have a moral mindset.
(c) Have no self-respect, either.
(d) Have concerns about sex.
2. What is the tone of Cécile's letter to Merteuil after her encounter with Valmont?
(a) Ashamed and confused.
(b) Proud and haughty.
(c) Quiet and reserved.
(d) Excited and jocular.
3. Who is Valmont's valet?
4. What does Merteuil advise Valmont to tell Madame de Tourvel?
(a) He no longer loves her, but it's not his fault.
(b) He is leaving the country because he can no longer stand her.
(c) Her beauty has been diminished by her recent anger.
(d) He wants to duel her husband in order to marry her.
5. How does Merteuil's story end?
(a) She goes into hiding and assumes a false name.
(b) She travels the Continent to seduce more men.
(c) She becomes celebrated, adored, and idolized.
(d) She is bankrupt, disfigured, and shunned.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Madame de Tourvel's reaction upon being left alone in her room with Valmont?
2. What does Cécile do that surprises her mother?
3. How does Madame de Rosemonde respond to Madame de Tourvel's news concerning herself and Valmont?
4. How does Prévan get into Merteuil's room on the night of his apparent victory?
5. What does Madame de Tourvel do that makes Valmont despair?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Merteuil respond to Cécile's news about Valmont's actions?
2. How did Merteuil develop into a master manipulator?
3. What event causes Madame de Tourvel to think Valmont does not love her? How does Valmont's respond?
4. Summarize the content of the "letter" that Merteuil dictates to Valmont about his apparent love of Madame de Tourvel.
5. What is the reward Valmont claims from Merteuil, and how does Merteuil respond to this?
6. What is the general content of the letter Azolan, Valmont's valet, writes to Valmont?
7. What subterfuge does Valmont suggest to Cécile in order to get Danceny's letters to her?
8. What is Madame de Rosemonde's advice to Madame de Tourvel regarding her feelings for Valmont?
9. Summarize Bertrand's letters to Madame de Rosemonde.
10. What news of Valmont does Madame de Rosemonde give Madame de Tourvel, and how does Madame de Tourvel react?
This section contains 1,148 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)