|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why has Merteuil never remarried?
(a) She dislikes anyone having the right to complain about her behavior.
(b) She is averse to the idea of belonging to one man.
(c) She wants to retain independent control of her fortune.
(d) She never meets anyone, but boring old men.
2. Upon what does Merteuil instruct Danceny in letter 121?
(a) Upon improving his contrived writing style.
(b) Upon his duties to his order of knights.
(c) Upon his lovemaking technique.
(d) Upon his communications with Madame de Volanges.
3. Valmont asserts that a girl who has no respect for her mother will what?
(a) Have no idea what love is about.
(b) Have concerns about sex.
(c) Have a moral mindset.
(d) Have no self-respect, either.
4. How does Prévan get into Merteuil's room on the night of his apparent victory?
(a) She suggests he disguise himself as a servant.
(b) He decides to climb her balcony.
(c) He rappels down from her roof.
(d) She suggests he use a secret staircase.
5. What does Danceny do to Merteuil, as reported by Madame de Volanges in letter 168?
(a) He publishes two of her shocking letters.
(b) He marries her in secret, then they run away to Italy.
(c) He kills her in a fit of rage.
(d) He decides to forget her and the pain she caused.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Merteuil decide that Prévan is attempting to seduce her?
2. In letter 83, how does Valmont try to convince Madame de Tourvel to love him?
3. Which category of women does Merteuil consider the most worthwhile?
4. What does Merteuil effectively refuse to do with Valmont?
5. What about Valmont worries Madame de Tourvel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reward Valmont claims from Merteuil, and how does Merteuil respond to this?
2. Describe how Madame de Tourvel changes after being abandoned by Valmont.
3. Summarize Bertrand's letters to Madame de Rosemonde.
4. How does Valmont thwart Merteuil with regards to Danceny?
5. What arguments does Valmont use to convince Madame de Tourvel to see him?
6. How did Merteuil develop into a master manipulator?
7. What news of Valmont does Madame de Rosemonde give Madame de Tourvel, and how does Madame de Tourvel react?
8. What is Merteuil's next plan for seduction? How does Valmont react?
9. How does Madame de Volanges respond to Cécile's depression?
10. What does Valmont vow about his seduction of Madame de Tourvel, and how does he plan to carry out his plan?
This section contains 1,171 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)