|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In letter 147, what startling news does Madame de Volanges notify Madame de Rosemonde of?
(a) Cécile's pregnancy.
(b) Danceny's agonized decision to take orders as a clergyman.
(c) Madame de Tourvel's sudden, serious illness.
(d) Valmont's duel with Monsieur de Tourvel.
2. What event not directly described in the novel weighs heavily on Merteuil's mind?
(a) A lawsuit involving her.
(b) A devastating fire in a wealthy area of Paris.
(c) The death of one of Merteuil's close relatives.
(d) Her planned travels across the Continent.
3. How does Valmont and Madame de Tourvel's first sexual encounter go?
(a) They are interrupted by a servant halfway through.
(b) It is a mutually satisfying experience.
(c) She surprises him with her refined technique.
(d) She faints and he rapes her.
4. What did the person whom Valmont sent to Madame de Tourvel do?
(a) The person suggested Madame de Tourvel run away.
(b) The person argued against Valmont's case.
(c) The person convinced her to see Valmont.
(d) The person told the legal authorities about Valmont's activities.
5. What does Valmont instruct his valet to do in Paris?
(a) Pretend to be in love with Madame de Tourvel.
(b) Beg to Merteuil for help on Valmont's behalf.
(c) Spy on Madame de Tourvel.
(d) Enlist the help of Danceny in seducing Madame de Tourvel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Madame de Rosemonde advise Madame de Volanges do about Cécile?
2. What opinion about love does Merteuil voice to Valmont?
3. How does Prévan get into Merteuil's room on the night of his apparent victory?
4. Why does Gercourt wish to delay his and Cécile's marriage?
5. How did Merteuil approach sex on her wedding night?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Danceny explain his behavior to Madame de Rosemonde?
2. What news of Valmont does Madame de Rosemonde give Madame de Tourvel, and how does Madame de Tourvel react?
3. How does Valmont thwart Merteuil with regards to Danceny?
4. What event causes Madame de Tourvel to think Valmont does not love her? How does Valmont's respond?
5. Summarize the problem Madame de Tourvel sees preventing her and Valmont from having a relationship, and how Valmont circumvents her hesitation.
6. How does Merteuil respond to Cécile's news about Valmont's actions?
7. How does Madame de Volanges respond to Cécile's depression?
8. Summarize Merteuil's tale of her ruination of Prévan's.
9. What is the general content of the letter Azolan, Valmont's valet, writes to Valmont?
10. What is Merteuil's next plan for seduction? How does Valmont react?
This section contains 1,237 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)