|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Cécile respond to Merteuil's advice about her relationship with Valmont?
(a) She agrees with Merteuil and decides to enjoy Valmont's company.
(b) She rebels against Merteuil and elopes with Danceny.
(c) She is confused and asks Merteuil if she really means what she wrote.
(d) She disagrees with Merteuil and resolves never to see Valmont again.
2. What is the reason for Valmont's seduction of Madame de Tourvel, according to what Valmont tells Merteuil in letter 133?
(a) Valmont wanted to investigate his own seductive powers.
(b) Valmont felt he needed more practice at ordinary seductions.
(c) Valmont gladly took on Madame de Tourvel's seduction on a dare.
(d) Valmont was bored and wanted a project to occupy his time.
3. What has been the effect of Madame de Tourvel's separation from Valmont?
(a) She realizes how much he manipulated her.
(b) His memory receded from her mind.
(c) She loves him more than ever.
(d) She finds another man to love.
4. What has Merteuil begun to think about Belleroche?
(a) She thinks he is a better lover than Valmont.
(b) She considers marrying him.
(c) She has suspicions that he has another lover.
(d) She becomes tired of him and needs a break.
5. To whom does Valmont write to ask about seeing Madame de Tourvel?
(a) To her good friend, Madame de Volanges.
(b) To her untrustworthy maid.
(c) To her confessor, Father Anselme.
(d) To her husband, Monsieur de Tourvel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Valmont instruct his valet to do in Paris?
2. How does Madame de Rosemonde respond to Madame de Tourvel's news concerning herself and Valmont?
3. What is Merteuil careful to say in Prévan's hearing when they meet for the second time?
4. How does Cécile respond to Valmont's suggestion about their secret correspondence?
5. What about Valmont worries Madame de Tourvel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize Merteuil's tale of her ruination of Prévan's.
2. Describe Valmont's response to Merteuil's affair with Danceny.
3. How does Valmont thwart Merteuil with regards to Danceny?
4. What is Madame de Rosemonde's advice to Madame de Tourvel regarding her feelings for Valmont?
5. Describe Merteuil's end in the novel.
6. Describe what Valmont does when he gets the key to Cécile's room.
7. What arguments does Valmont use to convince Madame de Tourvel to see him?
8. What happens between Valmont and Madame de Tourvel that shocks and angers Valmont, and why does he react so strongly?
9. How does Merteuil respond to Cécile's news about Valmont's actions?
10. How does Valmont manipulate Cécile and Danceny's relationship?
This section contains 1,180 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)