|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Valmont and Madame de Tourvel's first sexual encounter go?
(a) They are interrupted by a servant halfway through.
(b) She faints and he rapes her.
(c) She surprises him with her refined technique.
(d) It is a mutually satisfying experience.
2. What event not directly described in the novel weighs heavily on Merteuil's mind?
(a) A devastating fire in a wealthy area of Paris.
(b) Her planned travels across the Continent.
(c) A lawsuit involving her.
(d) The death of one of Merteuil's close relatives.
3. Whom does Valmont's valet count on to get him access to Madame de Tourvel?
(a) Valmont's friend, Étienne.
(b) Her maid, Julie.
(c) Her brother, Andres.
(d) No one.
4. What does Valmont order Merteuil to do?
(a) Abandon her affair with Danceny.
(b) Abandon her tutelage of Cécile.
(c) Abandon her friendship with Madame de Volanges.
(d) Abandon her affair with Belleroche.
5. Why is Madame de Tourvel suddenly convinced that Valmont no longer loves her?
(a) She saw him in the company of a prostitute.
(b) She saw a vision of her husband.
(c) She observes signs of his disinterest.
(d) She received a cold, dismissive letter from him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Cécile enlist as help in her escapades with her lover?
2. Upon what does Merteuil instruct Danceny in letter 121?
3. How does Madame de Tourvel feel about Valmont?
4. What does Valmont brag about to Merteuil at the beginning of Part IV?
5. What has Merteuil begun to think about Belleroche?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Merteuil respond to Cécile's news about Valmont's actions?
2. What subterfuge does Valmont suggest to Cécile in order to get Danceny's letters to her?
3. What news of Valmont does Madame de Rosemonde give Madame de Tourvel, and how does Madame de Tourvel react?
4. What event causes Madame de Tourvel to think Valmont does not love her? How does Valmont's respond?
5. Describe what Valmont does when he gets the key to Cécile's room.
6. What is the reward Valmont claims from Merteuil, and how does Merteuil respond to this?
7. Summarize Bertrand's letters to Madame de Rosemonde.
8. Describe Merteuil's end in the novel.
9. Describe Madame de Tourvel's dictated, unaddressed letter which Madame de Volanges sends to Madame de Rosemonde.
10. Summarize the content of the "letter" that Merteuil dictates to Valmont about his apparent love of Madame de Tourvel.
This section contains 1,121 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)