|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What opinion about love does Merteuil voice to Valmont?
(a) Pleasure is followed by aversion.
(b) Sex is based only on physical need.
(c) Love is the lowest human feeling.
(d) Marriage is the highest form of love.
2. To whom does Valmont write to ask about seeing Madame de Tourvel?
(a) To her good friend, Madame de Volanges.
(b) To her husband, Monsieur de Tourvel.
(c) To her confessor, Father Anselme.
(d) To her untrustworthy maid.
3. How does Merteuil's story end?
(a) She is bankrupt, disfigured, and shunned.
(b) She becomes celebrated, adored, and idolized.
(c) She travels the Continent to seduce more men.
(d) She goes into hiding and assumes a false name.
4. What does Valmont tell Danceny in letter 89?
(a) That Cécile's love grows stronger every day.
(b) That Cécile does not trust him.
(c) That Cécile sets her sights on a new man.
(d) That Cécile pines away for Danceny.
5. What has Merteuil begun to think about Belleroche?
(a) She thinks he is a better lover than Valmont.
(b) She has suspicions that he has another lover.
(c) She considers marrying him.
(d) She becomes tired of him and needs a break.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Prévan get into Merteuil's room on the night of his apparent victory?
2. Why is Madame de Tourvel suddenly convinced that Valmont no longer loves her?
3. What physical condition makes it difficult for Madame de Rosemonde to write letters?
4. How did Merteuil become adept at controlling her facial features?
5. About what does Valmont mock Merteuil in letter 158?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reward Valmont claims from Merteuil, and how does Merteuil respond to this?
2. What subterfuge does Valmont suggest to Cécile in order to get Danceny's letters to her?
3. What event causes Madame de Tourvel to think Valmont does not love her? How does Valmont's respond?
4. Whom does Valmont enlist to help him communicate and meet with Madame de Tourvel? How does this person respond?
5. How does Madame de Volanges respond to Cécile's depression?
6. How did Merteuil develop into a master manipulator?
7. Describe Madame de Tourvel's dictated, unaddressed letter which Madame de Volanges sends to Madame de Rosemonde.
8. What happens between Valmont and Madame de Tourvel that shocks and angers Valmont, and why does he react so strongly?
9. What news of Valmont does Madame de Rosemonde give Madame de Tourvel, and how does Madame de Tourvel react?
10. What does Valmont vow about his seduction of Madame de Tourvel, and how does he plan to carry out his plan?
This section contains 1,174 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)