|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Madame de Volanges discover about her daughter?
(a) She has been spending her inheritance foolishly.
(b) She has been disrespectful to God.
(c) She has been having sex with Valmont.
(d) She has been corresponding with Danceny.
2. What common subjects of social satire is the novel clearly lacking, according to Coward?
(a) Artists, musicians, and stage actors.
(b) Innocent young women and men.
(c) Adult males, financiers, and clergymen.
(d) Servants and peasants.
3. Who wrote the Publisher's Foreword to _Les Liasons Dangerueses_?
(a) Choderlos de Laclos.
(b) The owner of the shop in which the book was printed.
(c) The Duke d'Orleans.
(d) Laclos' wife, Marie-Soulange Duperré.
4. How does Valmont contrive to grope the woman he wants to seduce?
(a) By grabbing her from behind.
(b) By carrying her across a ditch.
(c) By helping her mount a horse.
(d) By pretending to stumble into her.
5. What is the name of the school-friend to whom Cécile writes?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Laclos favor over the well-trained mind?
2. What is the tone of Cécile's letter 55 to Sophie?
3. What does Madame de Volanges say about Valmont to Madame de Tourvel in letter 9?
4. What does Cécile think are pretty much the same thing?
5. In letter 20, what does Merteuil promise Valmont upon the success of his seduction of Madame de Tourvel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What defines or designates the "libertine" literary tradition?
2. What concession does Madame de Tourvel give Valmont, and what are the results?
3. What does the author of the Introduction say about potential political messages of social commentary in Laclos' novel?
4. What does Merteuil assert is the reason women become "victims" of seduction?
5. Describe Cécile's relationship with Merteuil.
6. How does Cécile describe her feelings about Danceny to Sophie in letter 55?
7. What is the content of Danceny's letters to Cécile?
8. How does Madame de Tourvel respond to Valmont's first love letter?
9. How does Madame de Tourvel respond to Madame de Volanges' warning about Valmont?
10. What event causes Cécile and Danceny to despair? What are the immediate results?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)