|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Danceny refuse to do, despite Madame de Volanges' request?
(a) Marry another woman.
(b) Travel abroad to forget Cécile.
(c) Burn his letters.
(d) Return Cécile's letters.
2. What does Laclos favor over the well-trained mind?
(a) A sense of humor.
(b) A high social station.
(c) A feeling heart.
(d) A stout constitution.
3. In letter 20, what does Merteuil promise Valmont upon the success of his seduction of Madame de Tourvel?
(a) That she will never speak to him again.
(b) That she will admit he is better at seductions than she.
(c) That she will introduce him to another young lady.
(d) That she will sleep with him.
4. What does Madame de Tourvel offer Valmont?
(a) Her friendship.
(b) Her body.
(c) Her hatred.
(d) Her undying love.
5. On what issue does Cécile ask Merteuil's advice in letter 27?
(a) Which gown she should wear to the opera the next night.
(b) Whether it would be wrong to correspond with Danceny.
(c) Whether Merteuil thinks Danceny will remain faithful.
(d) Whether she should tell her mother of her interest in Danceny.
Short Answer Questions
1. As of letter 44, what has Madame de Tourvel done with Valmont's letters?
2. According to the author of the Editor's Preface, what is the value of a work of literature?
3. How does Cécile generally feel about the prospect of soon being married?
4. Against whom does Valmont warn Merteuil in letter 70?
5. How does Coward recommend the novel should be criticized?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cécile describe Danceny to her friend Sophie?
2. What event causes Cécile and Danceny to despair? What are the immediate results?
3. What does Valmont essentially tell Merteuil about their relationship with each other in letter 15?
4. Describe Cécile de Volanges.
5. How does Madame de Tourvel respond to Valmont's first love letter?
6. What subterfuge does Valmont use to come into possession of Madame de Tourvel's letters?
7. Who is Merteuil's "knight," and what does she think of him?
8. What does Madame de Volanges say about Valmont to warn Madame de Tourvel against becoming too friendly with him?
9. What was the general response to _Les Liaisons Dangereuses_ in the 20th century?
10. How does Valmont describe Madame de Tourvel?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)