|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the author of the Editor's Preface?
(a) Choderlos de Laclos.
(b) Laclos' wife, Marie-Soulange Duperré.
(c) A close friend of Laclos.
2. What is Valmont and Danceny's relationship as of letter 57?
(a) They do not have a relationship.
(b) Open and trusting.
(c) Vengeful and angry.
(d) Wary and cautious.
3. Where does Cécile live before coming home to Paris?
(a) With a family friend.
(b) With her elderly aunt.
(c) On the streets.
(d) At a convent.
4. What does Danceny's letter 28 accuse Cécile of?
(a) Being heartless and pitiless toward him.
(b) Being rude and condescending in her letters.
(c) Being ignorant about his feelings.
(d) Being flirtatious with other men.
5. What is the tone of Cécile's letter 55 to Sophie?
(a) Adult and experienced.
(b) Frightened and remorseful.
(c) Gloating and mocking.
(d) Tender and cautious.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main rule of Valmont's and Merteuil's seductions?
2. What event does Valmont tell Madame de Tourvel secured his love for her?
3. What advice does Cécile's friend offer regarding Danceny's letter?
4. How does Valmont's tale of seduction end?
5. What does Valmont ask Madame de Tourvel to do in letter 35?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Merteuil assert is the reason women become "victims" of seduction?
2. How does the Publisher's Foreword introduce the novel?
3. What were Laclos' general views on politics and gender relations?
4. What action does Valmont take to make Madame de Tourvel love him, and what are the results?
5. What defines or designates the "libertine" literary tradition?
6. Describe Cécile's relationship with Merteuil.
7. What event causes Cécile and Danceny to despair? What are the immediate results?
8. What are Merteuil and Valmont's plans for Danceny and Cécile at the beginning of Part II?
9. How does Madame de Tourvel respond to Madame de Volanges' warning about Valmont?
10. How does Madame de Tourvel respond to Valmont's first love letter?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)