|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a "little house?"
(a) A luxurious love-nest in the country.
(b) The servants' quarters, attached to a large estate.
(c) A peasant hovel.
(d) A temporary dwelling for those on the run from the law.
2. With which philosophical movement of the 18th century is Laclos associated?
(a) The Age of Realism.
(b) The French Enlightenment.
(c) The Late Renaissance.
(d) The French Victorian period.
3. What was Laclos' relationship with his own wife and children?
(a) He was timid and shy.
(b) He was harsh and abusive.
(c) He was warm and loving.
(d) He was cold and distant.
4. What does Merteuil call Danceny in letter 38?
(a) Quiet and wise.
(b) Stupid and boring.
(c) Canny and secretive.
(d) Brainy and obtuse.
5. Whom does Merteuil want to manipulate into a relationship with Cécile?
(c) Monsieur de Tourvel.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Valmont contrive to grope the woman he wants to seduce?
2. Who is the author of the Editor's Preface?
3. How does Valmont avoid detection of his and the Vicomtesse's dalliance?
4. What ruse does Valmont use to attempt to secretly rifle through Madame de Tourvel's letters?
5. What is the first action Valmont takes to make Madame de Tourvel look favorably upon him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were Laclos' general views on politics and gender relations?
2. How does Cécile describe her feelings about Danceny to Sophie in letter 55?
3. How does Valmont describe Madame de Tourvel?
4. What are the general contents of Valmont's love letters to Madame de Tourvel?
5. What subterfuge does Valmont use to come into possession of Madame de Tourvel's letters?
6. What does Merteuil assert is the reason women become "victims" of seduction?
7. Describe Cécile's relationship with Merteuil.
8. What was Choderlos de Laclos' position in society? Describe his family life.
9. Who is Merteuil's "knight," and what does she think of him?
10. How does Madame de Tourvel respond to Valmont's first love letter?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)