|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Madame de Tourvel staying while her husband is away?
(a) At a home she owns in Paris.
(b) At a convent.
(c) With Madame de Rosemonde in the country.
(d) With Madame de Volanges in Paris.
2. What message does the Publisher's Foreword give?
(a) It encourages readers to thoroughly enjoy the novel
(b) It warns the readers that this is a dangerous novel.
(c) It asserts the reality and truth of the novel's events.
(d) It offers a comic summary of the novel.
3. How does Valmont give Cécile her letter from Danceny?
(a) He tosses it in her lap.
(b) He slips it under her bedroom door.
(c) He reads it aloud.
(d) He gives it to her on a walk in the countryside.
4. What ruse does Valmont use to attempt to secretly rifle through Madame de Tourvel's letters?
(a) He fakes a nosebleed and leaves the room.
(b) He says he is going hunting.
(c) He complains of a headache.
(d) He pretends to be a burglar in the night.
5. What does Madame de Volanges threaten to do to Danceny?
(a) Ban him from her house.
(b) Bankrupt him.
(c) Publicly expose him.
(d) Have him arrested.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does "libertine" generally refer to in 18th-century France?
2. According to Merteuil in letter 10, which pretext do women use to submit to sexual pleasure with a man?
3. What does Cécile think are pretty much the same thing?
4. On what issue does Cécile ask Merteuil's advice in letter 27?
5. How does Danceny give his first note to Cécile?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event causes Cécile and Danceny to despair? What are the immediate results?
2. What does Madame de Volanges say about Valmont to warn Madame de Tourvel against becoming too friendly with him?
3. What does Merteuil assert is the reason women become "victims" of seduction?
4. What does the author of the Introduction say is particularly engaging about Laclos' use of the epistolary form?
5. What is the content of Danceny's letters to Cécile?
6. What does Valmont essentially tell Merteuil about their relationship with each other in letter 15?
7. Who is Merteuil's "knight," and what does she think of him?
8. What defines or designates the "libertine" literary tradition?
9. What serious warning does Valmont give Merteuil?
10. Summarize Prévan's "legendary" feat of seduction according to Valmont.
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)