|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In letter 5, how does Merteuil react to Valmont's object of desire?
(a) She encourages his plan of seduction.
(b) She is incredulous and mocking.
(c) She expresses doubts as to his capability.
(d) She places absolute faith in Valmont.
2. How was __Les Liaisons Dangereuses_ treated after the turn of the 20th century?
(a) Readers and critics ignored its existence until ten years ago.
(b) Readers and critics reaffirmed the initial 18th-century response.
(c) Readers and critics were more likely to praise and study it.
(d) Readers and critics extolled it as the single best novel of the Western hemisphere.
3. As of letter 44, what has Madame de Tourvel done with Valmont's letters?
(a) Burnt them.
(b) Left them all unread and ignored.
(c) Saved and repaired them.
(d) Sent them to Madame de Volanges as evidence against Valmont.
4. What ruse does Valmont use to attempt to secretly rifle through Madame de Tourvel's letters?
(a) He says he is going hunting.
(b) He fakes a nosebleed and leaves the room.
(c) He pretends to be a burglar in the night.
(d) He complains of a headache.
5. With what circumstance is Danceny most frustrated?
(a) Valmont's apparent silence on Danceny and Cécile's affair.
(b) His inability to express his feelings to Cécile.
(c) The inconvenience of being stuck in Paris for business matters.
(d) The weather prevents him from traveling.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Valmont trick Madame de Volanges into receiving his second letter?
2. Whom does Merteuil want to manipulate into a relationship with Cécile?
3. What does Danceny's letter 28 accuse Cécile of?
4. Where does Cécile live before coming home to Paris?
5. What does Madame de Tourvel tell Madame de Volanges she will do to get rid of Valmont?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Merteuil respond to Cécile's news about Valmont's actions?
2. What concession does Madame de Tourvel give Valmont, and what are the results?
3. What was the general response to _Les Liaisons Dangereuses_ in the 20th century?
4. Who is Merteuil's "knight," and what does she think of him?
5. How does Valmont describe Madame de Tourvel?
6. What causes Cécile to become worried and sad about her upcoming marriage?
7. How does Madame de Volanges respond to Cécile's depression?
8. What does the Editor state in the Editor's Preface?
9. How does Madame de Tourvel respond to Madame de Volanges' warning about Valmont?
10. What does the author of the Introduction say is particularly engaging about Laclos' use of the epistolary form?
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)