|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the beginning of Laclos' military career like?
(a) He was garrisoned in provincial towns and saw no battle action.
(b) He fought constantly in the Seven Years' War.
(c) He became a decorated hero and military adviser to the King.
(d) He set sail for India and China to support France's colonial efforts.
2. In letter 15, what does Valmont call Merteuil about her attentions to her current lover?
(a) He calls her a slave to another's pleasure.
(b) He calls her selfish and callous.
(c) He calls her gentle and caring.
(d) He calls her an attention seeker.
3. According to the author of the Editor's Preface, what is the value of a work of literature?
(a) The opportunity it offers its readers to escape their dull, daily lives.
(b) The price it can be sold at; the wealth it can bring its author.
(c) Its moral obligation to society.
(d) Its usefulness to society and/or the pleasure it gives its readers.
4. With which philosophical movement of the 18th century is Laclos associated?
(a) The Late Renaissance.
(b) The French Enlightenment.
(c) The French Victorian period.
(d) The Age of Realism.
5. What common subjects of social satire is the novel clearly lacking, according to Coward?
(a) Artists, musicians, and stage actors.
(b) Servants and peasants.
(c) Innocent young women and men.
(d) Adult males, financiers, and clergymen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Valmont say is notable about the man pursuing Merteuil?
2. Who does Valmont trick to spend time with the Vicomtesse de M?
3. In his other writings, what view did Laclos take of women?
4. How does Merteuil respond to Valmont's warning about the man who wants to pursue her?
5. What literary tradition does Coward see as applicable?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cécile feel about Danceny's first letter?
2. How does Cécile describe Danceny to her friend Sophie?
3. What does Madame de Volanges say about Valmont to warn Madame de Tourvel against becoming too friendly with him?
4. How does Madame de Tourvel respond to Madame de Volanges' warning about Valmont?
5. What are the general contents of Valmont's love letters to Madame de Tourvel?
6. What concession does Madame de Tourvel give Valmont, and what are the results?
7. What was Choderlos de Laclos' position in society? Describe his family life.
8. What defines or designates the "libertine" literary tradition?
9. What does Valmont essentially tell Merteuil about their relationship with each other in letter 15?
10. What does Merteuil assert is the reason women become "victims" of seduction?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)