|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Against whom does Valmont warn Merteuil in letter 70?
2. What is an "epistolary novel?"
(a) A novel centering around a mythical being.
(b) A novel set in Medieval times.
(c) A novel told from the perspective of a single character.
(d) A novel told through letters.
3. What does Madame de Tourvel promise to Madame de Volanges in letter 11?
(a) That she will consider no one's feelings, but her own.
(b) That she will request that Valmont leave the estate.
(c) That she will treat Valmont coldly.
(d) That she will do everything Valmont asks of her.
4. Whom does Valmont plan to seduce?
(b) Madame de Volanges.
(d) Madame de Tourvel.
5. What does the author of the Editor's Preface claim he has done?
(a) Written all the letters himself, from the perspective of fictional characters.
(b) Collected and organized real letters, and provided occasional notes.
(c) Written the story of his own group of friends into the form of letters.
(d) Translated these letters from another language into French.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Coward characterize each "chapter" in __Les Liaisons Dangereuses_?
2. What is the first action Valmont takes to make Madame de Tourvel look favorably upon him?
3. How does Valmont's tale of seduction end?
4. How does Danceny give his first note to Cécile?
5. What event does Madame de Volanges' sudden illness threaten?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Choderlos de Laclos' position in society? Describe his family life.
2. What does Madame de Volanges say about Valmont to warn Madame de Tourvel against becoming too friendly with him?
3. What event causes Cécile and Danceny to despair? What are the immediate results?
4. What action does Valmont take to make Madame de Tourvel love him, and what are the results?
5. What are Merteuil and Valmont's plans for Danceny and Cécile at the beginning of Part II?
6. What serious warning does Valmont give Merteuil?
7. What was the general response to _Les Liaisons Dangereuses_ in the 20th century?
8. How does Madame de Tourvel respond to Valmont's first love letter?
9. What does the author of the Introduction say about potential political messages of social commentary in Laclos' novel?
10. What were Laclos' general views on politics and gender relations?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)