|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Valmont ask Madame de Tourvel to do in letter 35?
(a) Move to Paris so they can be seen in society together.
(b) Give him the names of those saying bad things about him.
(c) Divorce her husband, the judge.
(d) Commit to a sexual relationship with him.
2. What is the tone of Cécile's letter 55 to Sophie?
(a) Tender and cautious.
(b) Gloating and mocking.
(c) Adult and experienced.
(d) Frightened and remorseful.
3. How does Valmont make sure that Madame de Tourvel will read his first letter?
(a) He leaves it in plain sight so she is forced to take it.
(b) He corners her and reads it aloud.
(c) He gives it to her maid to deliver to her.
(d) He hides it in her writing desk so she will see it.
4. How did French society view Laclos after the publication of _Les Liaisons Dangereuses_?
(a) As a "monster."
(b) As a "genius."
(c) As a "mystery."
(d) As a "saint."
5. What has Merteuil tricked Cécile into doing?
(a) Telling Madame de Volanges about her love for Danceny.
(b) Meeting with Danceny alone.
(c) Sleeping with Valmont.
(d) Refusing to marry the Comte de Gercourt.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Valmont act toward Madame de Tourvel, as reported in letter 11?
2. What does Madame de Tourvel offer Valmont?
3. Which place in the social hierarchy did Laclos' family occupy?
4. What is the name of the school-friend to whom Cécile writes?
5. What does Madame de Tourvel promise to Madame de Volanges in letter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author of the Introduction say about potential political messages of social commentary in Laclos' novel?
2. What was Choderlos de Laclos' position in society? Describe his family life.
3. Summarize Prévan's "legendary" feat of seduction according to Valmont.
4. How does Valmont describe Madame de Tourvel?
5. What are the general contents of Valmont's love letters to Madame de Tourvel?
6. What does Madame de Volanges say about Valmont to warn Madame de Tourvel against becoming too friendly with him?
7. How does Madame de Tourvel respond to Madame de Volanges' warning about Valmont?
8. What defines or designates the "libertine" literary tradition?
9. How does Cécile feel about Danceny's first letter?
10. What event causes Cécile and Danceny to despair? What are the immediate results?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)