|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do today's readers of Laclos interpret his novel?
(a) They find that each character has definite motivations.
(b) They cannot agree on the ambiguous meanings and motivations of the characters.
(c) They neglect several characters and only focus on one or two.
(d) They always apply Laclos' personal history to the meaning of the novel.
2. What event does Valmont tell Madame de Tourvel secured his love for her?
(a) Hearing of her piety from Madame de Rosemonde.
(b) His charitable actions toward the peasants.
(c) Looking into her eyes on a starlit evening.
(d) Meeting her for the first time.
3. How was __Les Liaisons Dangereuses_ treated after the turn of the 20th century?
(a) Readers and critics extolled it as the single best novel of the Western hemisphere.
(b) Readers and critics were more likely to praise and study it.
(c) Readers and critics ignored its existence until ten years ago.
(d) Readers and critics reaffirmed the initial 18th-century response.
4. In letter 26, what does Madame de Tourvel blame on her impassioned outburst?
(a) Her sense of security made her unwary.
(b) The true feelings of love pouring into her heart.
(c) Her sudden confusion at the turn of events.
(d) The unbelieving portions of her mind and heart.
5. Against whom does Valmont warn Merteuil in letter 70?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Valmont say is notable about the man pursuing Merteuil?
2. What does Cécile think are pretty much the same thing?
3. How does Valmont act toward Madame de Tourvel, as reported in letter 11?
4. What does Cécile tell Danceny in letter 49?
5. What idea does Merteuil plant in Cécile's head after the revelation of her and Danceny's love?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author of the Introduction say is particularly engaging about Laclos' use of the epistolary form?
2. What is the content of Danceny's letters to Cécile?
3. How does Cécile describe her feelings about Danceny to Sophie in letter 55?
4. What does Merteuil assert is the reason women become "victims" of seduction?
5. What was the general response to _Les Liaisons Dangereuses_ in the 20th century?
6. How does Cécile feel about Danceny's first letter?
7. What concession does Madame de Tourvel give Valmont, and what are the results?
8. Summarize Prévan's "legendary" feat of seduction according to Valmont.
9. How does Madame de Tourvel respond to Madame de Volanges' warning about Valmont?
10. What are Merteuil and Valmont's plans for Danceny and Cécile at the beginning of Part II?
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)