|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What advice does Cécile's friend offer regarding Danceny's letter?
(a) Cécile should reply immediately and assure Danceny of her love.
(b) Cécile should show the letter to her mother.
(c) Cécile should not respond.
(d) Cécile should reply and chastise Danceny for taking such a liberty.
2. How does Valmont contrive to grope the woman he wants to seduce?
(a) By helping her mount a horse.
(b) By grabbing her from behind.
(c) By pretending to stumble into her.
(d) By carrying her across a ditch.
3. How does Valmont avoid detection of his and the Vicomtesse's dalliance?
(a) He accuses her of sleeping with a different man.
(b) He pretends there was a burglar in her room.
(c) He pretends to become ill and incapable of making love.
(d) He sneaks away from the house before everyone wakes.
4. Whom does Danceny trust to help him continue his relationship with Cécile?
(c) Madame de Tourvel.
(d) Madame de Rosemonde.
5. How does Cécile generally feel about the prospect of soon being married?
(a) Depressed and dour.
(b) Excited, but confused.
(c) Anxious and frightened.
(d) Haughty and snobbish.
Short Answer Questions
1. In letter 15, what does Valmont call Merteuil about her attentions to her current lover?
2. With whom does Valmont conspire to trick and humiliate a new acquaintance?
3. What is the name of the school-friend to whom Cécile writes?
4. Why, says Madame de Tourvel in letter 78, was she wary toward Valmont when they first met?
5. Who does Valmont trick to spend time with the Vicomtesse de M?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author of the Introduction say is particularly engaging about Laclos' use of the epistolary form?
2. What was Choderlos de Laclos' position in society? Describe his family life.
3. What was the general response to _Les Liaisons Dangereuses_ in the 20th century?
4. What does Merteuil suggest, in different forms, to Cécile and Valmont?
5. How does Valmont describe Madame de Tourvel?
6. What subterfuge does Valmont use to come into possession of Madame de Tourvel's letters?
7. How does Merteuil respond to Valmont's warning?
8. What does Madame de Volanges say about Valmont to warn Madame de Tourvel against becoming too friendly with him?
9. What are Merteuil and Valmont's plans for Danceny and Cécile at the beginning of Part II?
10. How does Cécile feel about Danceny's first letter?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)