|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Merteuil respond to Valmont's warning about the man who wants to pursue her?
(a) She ignores his warning and forgets the man.
(b) She takes Valmont's advice to beware.
(c) She resolves to reform the man's libertine ways.
(d) She decides to pursue the man.
2. Which place in the social hierarchy did Laclos' family occupy?
(a) The lowest form of nobility.
(b) The peasant class.
(c) The clergy.
(d) The highest form of the gentry.
3. Into which main form(s) was __Les Liaisons Dangereuses_ reproduced in the 20th century?
(a) Lyric poetry.
(b) Factual memoirs.
(d) Plays and film adaptations.
4. Why must Cécile's marriage be postponed?
(a) Her fiancé is gravely ill.
(b) Her fiancé is away with his regiment.
(c) Cécile has second thoughts about marriage.
(d) Cécile plans to travel and further her education.
5. What is the main rule of Valmont's and Merteuil's seductions?
(a) They cannot interfere in one another's schemes.
(b) Seductions of impressionable teens are the only worthwhile seductions.
(c) Nothing to incriminate themselves should exist in writing.
(d) Married people are off-limits.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a "little house?"
2. Why does Valmont think it possible to seduce this woman?
3. Where is Madame de Tourvel staying while her husband is away?
4. Whom does Merteuil want to manipulate into a relationship with Cécile?
5. With what circumstance is Danceny most frustrated?
Short Essay Questions
1. What serious warning does Valmont give Merteuil?
2. What does Madame de Volanges say about Valmont to warn Madame de Tourvel against becoming too friendly with him?
3. How does Merteuil respond to Valmont's warning?
4. How does Madame de Tourvel respond to Madame de Volanges' warning about Valmont?
5. Describe Cécile de Volanges.
6. What was Choderlos de Laclos' position in society? Describe his family life.
7. Describe Cécile's relationship with Merteuil.
8. Summarize Prévan's "legendary" feat of seduction according to Valmont.
9. What does the author of the Introduction say is particularly engaging about Laclos' use of the epistolary form?
10. What defines or designates the "libertine" literary tradition?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)