|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Valmont force Madame de Tourvel's maid to help with his plans?
(a) He bribes her with 400 francs.
(b) He threatens to blackmail her.
(c) He humiliates her by forcing her to be naked.
(d) He rapes her.
2. As of letter 44, what has Madame de Tourvel done with Valmont's letters?
(a) Sent them to Madame de Volanges as evidence against Valmont.
(b) Saved and repaired them.
(c) Left them all unread and ignored.
(d) Burnt them.
3. How does Cécile initially feel about Danceny?
(a) She likes him and wants to please him with her musical abilities.
(b) She feels ambivalent about him and he bores her.
(c) She falls deeply in love with him.
(d) She hates his strict style of teaching.
4. Against whom does Valmont warn Merteuil in letter 70?
5. Whom does Danceny trust to help him continue his relationship with Cécile?
(b) Madame de Tourvel.
(d) Madame de Rosemonde.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Valmont's tale of seduction end?
2. How did Laclos' contemporary critics feel his novel would impact society?
3. Whom does Cécile's mother intend for her to marry?
4. Where is Madame de Tourvel staying while her husband is away?
5. How did French society view Laclos after the publication of _Les Liaisons Dangereuses_?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Madame de Volanges say about Valmont to warn Madame de Tourvel against becoming too friendly with him?
2. How does Madame de Tourvel respond to Valmont's first love letter?
3. What does Merteuil assert is the reason women become "victims" of seduction?
4. What event causes Cécile and Danceny to despair? What are the immediate results?
5. How does Cécile feel about Danceny's first letter?
6. What does Valmont essentially tell Merteuil about their relationship with each other in letter 15?
7. How does Merteuil respond to Valmont's warning?
8. Describe Cécile de Volanges.
9. Describe Cécile's relationship with Merteuil.
10. What concession does Madame de Tourvel give Valmont, and what are the results?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)