|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Merteuil advise Cécile to do after being raped by Valmont?
(a) Give into pleasure and take Valmont as a lover.
(b) Confess everything to her mother and ask for forgiveness.
(c) Keep the event secret from Danceny and elope with him.
(d) Give into despair.
2. What does Danceny complain to Merteuil about in letter 118?
(a) Merteuil's lover, Belleroche.
(b) Cécile's coyness about his love for her.
(c) Their current inability to be with each other.
(d) Valmont's relationship with Cécile.
3. What is the tone of Cécile's letter to Merteuil after her encounter with Valmont?
(a) Proud and haughty.
(b) Excited and jocular.
(c) Ashamed and confused.
(d) Quiet and reserved.
4. Whom does Merteuil target for her next seduction?
5. What action does Valmont propose to Cécile to facilitate their secret correspondence?
(a) Cécile and Valmont should not write, but only speak privately.
(b) Cécile should steal her mother's key to Cécile's own room.
(c) Cécile and Danceny should disguise their handwriting and use the regular postal service.
(d) Cécile should suggest that her mother leave Cécile alone at the country estate.
6. What news does Bertrand bring to Madame de Rosemonde?
(a) The news of Madame de Volanges' death.
(b) The news of Valmont's triumph.
(c) The news of Cécile's insanity.
(d) The news of Valmont's death.
7. What does Valmont do when alone with Cécile in her room?
(a) He comforts her.
(b) He lectures her.
(c) He terrorizes her.
(d) He rapes her.
8. Which category of women does Merteuil consider the most worthwhile?
(a) Middle-aged, hardened, despairing women.
(b) Independent, intelligent women of character.
(c) Mysterious, enigmatic widows.
(d) Young, pretty, dull women.
9. What does Madame de Rosemonde warn Madame de Tourvel about in letter 126?
(a) She warns her that Valmont is only interested in ruining women.
(b) She warns her that Valmont's illness is deadly.
(c) She warns her that Valmont is a fugitive.
(d) She warns her that Valmont has another lover.
10. Why is Merteuil's maid trustworthy?
(a) Merteuil knows her maid's greatest secret.
(b) The maid is Merteuil's daughter.
(c) Merteuil pays the maid an exorbitant salary for her cooperation.
(d) Merteuil threatened to kill the maid if she betrays Merteuil.
11. What is the reason for Valmont's seduction of Madame de Tourvel, according to what Valmont tells Merteuil in letter 133?
(a) Valmont was bored and wanted a project to occupy his time.
(b) Valmont wanted to investigate his own seductive powers.
(c) Valmont gladly took on Madame de Tourvel's seduction on a dare.
(d) Valmont felt he needed more practice at ordinary seductions.
12. What does Valmont tell Danceny in letter 89?
(a) That Cécile sets her sights on a new man.
(b) That Cécile pines away for Danceny.
(c) That Cécile does not trust him.
(d) That Cécile's love grows stronger every day.
13. What physical condition makes it difficult for Madame de Rosemonde to write letters?
14. Upon what does Merteuil instruct Danceny in letter 121?
(a) Upon his duties to his order of knights.
(b) Upon his communications with Madame de Volanges.
(c) Upon his lovemaking technique.
(d) Upon improving his contrived writing style.
15. What event not directly described in the novel weighs heavily on Merteuil's mind?
(a) A devastating fire in a wealthy area of Paris.
(b) Her planned travels across the Continent.
(c) The death of one of Merteuil's close relatives.
(d) A lawsuit involving her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Merteuil assert that Madame de Tourvel is doing to Valmont?
2. How does Madame de Rosemonde learn of Madame de Tourvel's death?
3. What happens to Prévan after Merteuil gets done with him?
4. What does Danceny entrust to Madame de Rosemonde?
5. How does Cécile respond to Valmont's suggestion about their secret correspondence?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)