|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Merteuil increase sympathy for herself?
(a) She pretends to be ill.
(b) She keeps quiet and the mystery deepens.
(c) She claims to have been raped.
(d) She asserts that Prévan robbed her.
2. What does Danceny complain to Merteuil about in letter 118?
(a) Valmont's relationship with Cécile.
(b) Cécile's coyness about his love for her.
(c) Their current inability to be with each other.
(d) Merteuil's lover, Belleroche.
3. What does Madame de Tourvel regret in letter 124?
(a) That Valmont returned all her letters instead of keeping them.
(b) That she must agree to whatever Valmont asks of her.
(c) That she must be forever miserable for sacrificing Valmont.
(d) That she lost Madame de Rosemonde's respect.
4. What does Valmont order Merteuil to do?
(a) Abandon her affair with Danceny.
(b) Abandon her friendship with Madame de Volanges.
(c) Abandon her tutelage of Cécile.
(d) Abandon her affair with Belleroche.
5. How did Merteuil become adept at controlling her facial features?
(a) Her time as an actress gave her opportunities to practice facial expressions.
(b) By observing how other people conceal what they think or feel.
(c) She woke up one day and was suddenly able to control her features.
(d) As a child, her tutor of manners was strict and taught her well.
6. What news does Bertrand bring to Madame de Rosemonde?
(a) The news of Cécile's insanity.
(b) The news of Madame de Volanges' death.
(c) The news of Valmont's death.
(d) The news of Valmont's triumph.
7. What has been the effect of Madame de Tourvel's separation from Valmont?
(a) His memory receded from her mind.
(b) She realizes how much he manipulated her.
(c) She finds another man to love.
(d) She loves him more than ever.
8. What does Madame de Rosemonde offer Madame de Tourvel in her return letter?
(a) Confusion, curiosity, and ignorance.
(b) Censure, chastisement, and disappointment.
(c) Happiness, joy, and congratulations.
(d) Understanding, forgiveness, and hope.
9. What did the person whom Valmont sent to Madame de Tourvel do?
(a) The person argued against Valmont's case.
(b) The person convinced her to see Valmont.
(c) The person told the legal authorities about Valmont's activities.
(d) The person suggested Madame de Tourvel run away.
10. What does Valmont do when alone with Cécile in her room?
(a) He terrorizes her.
(b) He rapes her.
(c) He comforts her.
(d) He lectures her.
11. For what does Cécile blame herself the most?
(a) She thinks she should have resisted Valmont more.
(b) She thinks of Danceny too much.
(c) She thinks her mother was sad and disappointed.
(d) She broke a promise to Valmont.
12. In letter 147, what startling news does Madame de Volanges notify Madame de Rosemonde of?
(a) Madame de Tourvel's sudden, serious illness.
(b) Cécile's pregnancy.
(c) Valmont's duel with Monsieur de Tourvel.
(d) Danceny's agonized decision to take orders as a clergyman.
13. Which category of women does Merteuil consider the most worthwhile?
(a) Mysterious, enigmatic widows.
(b) Independent, intelligent women of character.
(c) Young, pretty, dull women.
(d) Middle-aged, hardened, despairing women.
14. What does Valmont instruct his valet to do in Paris?
(a) Pretend to be in love with Madame de Tourvel.
(b) Beg to Merteuil for help on Valmont's behalf.
(c) Spy on Madame de Tourvel.
(d) Enlist the help of Danceny in seducing Madame de Tourvel.
15. What happens to Prévan after Merteuil gets done with him?
(a) He proclaims himself innocent in a court of law.
(b) He flees the country in disgrace.
(c) He duels with Merteuil's lover, Belleroche.
(d) His commander orders his arrest.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Merteuil's maid trustworthy?
2. How does Danceny respond upon learning of Valmont's treachery?
3. How does Prévan get into Merteuil's room on the night of his apparent victory?
4. How does Madame de Rosemonde respond to Madame de Tourvel's news concerning herself and Valmont?
5. What does Valmont know Merteuil dislikes reading about?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)