|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In letter 83, how does Valmont try to convince Madame de Tourvel to love him?
(a) He threatens to kill himself if she will not love him.
(b) He argues that she is selfish and vain in refusing him.
(c) He threatens to kill her husband if she does not love him.
(d) He asserts that all love, no matter what kind, is good.
2. What does Merteuil advise Cécile to do after being raped by Valmont?
(a) Give into despair.
(b) Keep the event secret from Danceny and elope with him.
(c) Confess everything to her mother and ask for forgiveness.
(d) Give into pleasure and take Valmont as a lover.
3. What does Madame de Tourvel send to Madame de Rosemonde?
(a) A suicide note.
(b) Madame de Volanges' private correspondence.
(c) A lock of her own hair.
(d) Valmont's cruel letter.
4. Why is Madame de Tourvel suddenly convinced that Valmont no longer loves her?
(a) She received a cold, dismissive letter from him.
(b) She saw him in the company of a prostitute.
(c) She saw a vision of her husband.
(d) She observes signs of his disinterest.
5. How does Merteuil increase sympathy for herself?
(a) She keeps quiet and the mystery deepens.
(b) She asserts that Prévan robbed her.
(c) She claims to have been raped.
(d) She pretends to be ill.
6. What does Danceny fear after reading Valmont's report?
(a) That Cécile needs to go back to the convent.
(b) That Cécile loves Valmont.
(c) That Cécile dies.
(d) That Cécile no longer loves him.
7. About what does Valmont mock Merteuil in letter 158?
(a) Her lack of true friends.
(b) Her non-meeting with Danceny.
(c) Her rapidly aging features.
(d) Her incapability of managing her affairs.
8. What does Cécile do that surprises her mother?
(a) Confesses the truth of her relationship with Valmont.
(b) Vehemently expresses her disgust for Merteuil.
(c) Goes to a convent to become a nun.
(d) Begs to die like Madame de Tourvel.
9. What does Madame de Rosemonde offer Madame de Tourvel in her return letter?
(a) Confusion, curiosity, and ignorance.
(b) Happiness, joy, and congratulations.
(c) Censure, chastisement, and disappointment.
(d) Understanding, forgiveness, and hope.
10. Who is Valmont's valet?
11. What did the person whom Valmont sent to Madame de Tourvel do?
(a) The person told the legal authorities about Valmont's activities.
(b) The person convinced her to see Valmont.
(c) The person argued against Valmont's case.
(d) The person suggested Madame de Tourvel run away.
12. How does Cécile respond to Valmont's suggestion about their secret correspondence?
(a) She suggests they use a third party to pass their letters.
(b) She agrees to Valmont's request for more time.
(c) She refuses to steal her mother's key.
(d) She asks to speak to Danceny directly.
13. How long has Valmont spent seducing Madame de Tourvel?
(a) Three months.
(b) A year.
(c) Several weeks.
(d) Six months.
14. How does Valmont and Madame de Tourvel's first sexual encounter go?
(a) She surprises him with her refined technique.
(b) She faints and he rapes her.
(c) It is a mutually satisfying experience.
(d) They are interrupted by a servant halfway through.
15. Why does Gercourt wish to delay his and Cécile's marriage?
(a) He wishes for time to allow Cécile to grow up.
(b) He has cold feet.
(c) He wants to travel in Italy with a relative.
(d) His regiment will move further away.
Short Answer Questions
1. In letter 147, what startling news does Madame de Volanges notify Madame de Rosemonde of?
2. What does Merteuil advise Valmont to tell Madame de Tourvel?
3. How does Madame de Rosemonde learn of Madame de Tourvel's death?
4. What is the tone of Cécile's letter to Merteuil after her encounter with Valmont?
5. Which category of women does Merteuil consider the most worthwhile?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)