Final Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What action does Valmont propose to CÃ©cile to facilitate their secret correspondence?
(a) Cécile and Danceny should disguise their handwriting and use the regular postal service.
(b) Cécile and Valmont should not write, but only speak privately.
(c) Cécile should suggest that her mother leave Cécile alone at the country estate.
(d) Cécile should steal her mother's key to Cécile's own room.
2. What has been the effect of Madame de Tourvel's separation from Valmont?
(a) She loves him more than ever.
(b) She realizes how much he manipulated her.
(c) She finds another man to love.
(d) His memory receded from her mind.
3. What is the reason for Valmont's seduction of Madame de Tourvel, according to what Valmont tells Merteuil in letter 133?
(a) Valmont was bored and wanted a project to occupy his time.
(b) Valmont wanted to investigate his own seductive powers.
(c) Valmont felt he needed more practice at ordinary seductions.
(d) Valmont gladly took on Madame de Tourvel's seduction on a dare.
4. How does CÃ©cile respond to Merteuil's advice about her relationship with Valmont?
(a) She agrees with Merteuil and decides to enjoy Valmont's company.
(b) She rebels against Merteuil and elopes with Danceny.
(c) She disagrees with Merteuil and resolves never to see Valmont again.
(d) She is confused and asks Merteuil if she really means what she wrote.
5. What does CÃ©cile assert to Danceny after his letter reveals his suspicions?
(a) That if they will both be unhappy, it won't be entirely her fault.
(b) That her mother will never discover Cécile's plan.
(c) That she and Valmont decided not to listen to Danceny.
(d) That she will refuse to see him again.
6. What news does Bertrand bring to Madame de Rosemonde?
(a) The news of Cécile's insanity.
(b) The news of Madame de Volanges' death.
(c) The news of Valmont's triumph.
(d) The news of Valmont's death.
7. How long has Valmont spent seducing Madame de Tourvel?
(a) A year.
(b) Six months.
(c) Three months.
(d) Several weeks.
8. What does Merteuil worry about Madame de Volanges?
(a) That no one will believe Merteuil's version of events.
(b) That everyone will discover it was a sham.
(c) That the business with Prévan will damage her reputation.
(d) That maybe she really loves Prévan.
9. How does CÃ©cile respond to Valmont's suggestion about their secret correspondence?
(a) She suggests they use a third party to pass their letters.
(b) She agrees to Valmont's request for more time.
(c) She refuses to steal her mother's key.
(d) She asks to speak to Danceny directly.
10. How does Merteuil increase sympathy for herself?
(a) She claims to have been raped.
(b) She asserts that Prévan robbed her.
(c) She pretends to be ill.
(d) She keeps quiet and the mystery deepens.
11. How does Madame de Tourvel feel about Valmont?
(a) She idolizes him.
(b) She abhors him.
(c) She pities him.
(d) She fears him.
12. What does Valmont teach CÃ©cile when they are alone together?
(a) Dirty language and sexual positions.
(b) How to become the next Merteuil.
(c) How to be modest and seem virginal for Gercourt.
(d) How to take precautions against pregnancy.
13. What is Madame de Tourvel's mindset in letter 161?
(a) Thoughtful and contemplative.
(b) Clear and coherent.
(c) Sad and lonely.
(d) Disturbed and disorganized.
14. What does Danceny resolve to do at the end of the novel?
(a) Collect the letters from everyone and publish them.
(b) Pine away and die a lonely, pitiful death.
(c) Take vows as a member of the Knights of Malta.
(d) Continue to love Cécile from afar until his dying day.
15. What is Merteuil careful to say in PrÃ©van's hearing when they meet for the second time?
(a) That she will be at home in two days.
(b) That she grows weary of widowhood.
(c) That she feels faint and needs to lie down.
(d) That she fancies a dashing young man.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Merteuil's story end?
2. Whom does CÃ©cile enlist as help in her escapades with her lover?
3. What event not directly described in the novel weighs heavily on Merteuil's mind?
4. Whom does Merteuil target for her next seduction?
5. To whom does Valmont write to ask about seeing Madame de Tourvel?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)