|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Danceny respond upon learning of Valmont's treachery?
(a) By telling Cécile.
(b) By challenging Valmont to a duel.
(c) By calling for Valmont's arrest.
(d) By despairing and killing himself.
2. What is Madame de Tourvel's reaction upon being left alone in her room with Valmont?
(a) She refuses to have anything to do with him.
(b) She bursts into tears and calls for her maid.
(c) She goes into delirious convulsions.
(d) She professes her undying love for him.
3. To whom does Valmont write to ask about seeing Madame de Tourvel?
(a) To her confessor, Father Anselme.
(b) To her husband, Monsieur de Tourvel.
(c) To her untrustworthy maid.
(d) To her good friend, Madame de Volanges.
4. About what does Valmont mock Merteuil in letter 158?
(a) Her incapability of managing her affairs.
(b) Her rapidly aging features.
(c) Her lack of true friends.
(d) Her non-meeting with Danceny.
5. What does Madame de Tourvel regret in letter 124?
(a) That she must be forever miserable for sacrificing Valmont.
(b) That she must agree to whatever Valmont asks of her.
(c) That Valmont returned all her letters instead of keeping them.
(d) That she lost Madame de Rosemonde's respect.
6. What about Valmont worries Madame de Tourvel?
(a) His plans to travel to Italy.
(b) His relationship with Cécile.
(c) The state of his health.
(d) His lack of interest in her.
7. What does Valmont instruct his valet to do in Paris?
(a) Enlist the help of Danceny in seducing Madame de Tourvel.
(b) Spy on Madame de Tourvel.
(c) Beg to Merteuil for help on Valmont's behalf.
(d) Pretend to be in love with Madame de Tourvel.
8. What does Valmont entice Danceny to do?
(a) Use one of Cécile's maids as a way to practice his sexual technique.
(b) Abandon his excursion with Merteuil in favor of secretly meeting with Cécile.
(c) Apologize to Madame de Volanges for leading her daughter astray.
(d) Choose Merteuil, an experienced lover, over Cécile, an ignorant girl.
9. What does Valmont order Merteuil to do?
(a) Abandon her affair with Danceny.
(b) Abandon her tutelage of Cécile.
(c) Abandon her friendship with Madame de Volanges.
(d) Abandon her affair with Belleroche.
10. How does Merteuil decide that Prévan is attempting to seduce her?
(a) She asks him directly whether he is interested in her, and he demurs.
(b) She asks her friend, the Maréchale, whether Prévan mentioned her.
(c) She refuses to play cards, and he follows her lead.
(d) She eavesdrops on his conversation with the Bishop.
11. What does Valmont brag about to Merteuil at the beginning of Part IV?
(a) He successfully seduced Madame de Tourvel.
(b) He publicly humiliated Madame de Volanges.
(c) He made Cécile his love-slave.
(d) He wounded Danceny in a duel.
12. How does Madame de Rosemonde respond to Madame de Tourvel's news concerning herself and Valmont?
(a) With disappointment and censure.
(b) With calm, pious acceptance.
(c) With rage and harsh words.
(d) With confusion and curiosity.
13. What action does Valmont propose to Cécile to facilitate their secret correspondence?
(a) Cécile should suggest that her mother leave Cécile alone at the country estate.
(b) Cécile and Valmont should not write, but only speak privately.
(c) Cécile should steal her mother's key to Cécile's own room.
(d) Cécile and Danceny should disguise their handwriting and use the regular postal service.
14. What does Madame de Tourvel confess to Madame de Rosemonde?
(a) That she loves Valmont.
(b) That she will divorce her husband.
(c) That he thinks of suicide.
(d) That she secretly hates society.
15. What did the person whom Valmont sent to Madame de Tourvel do?
(a) The person suggested Madame de Tourvel run away.
(b) The person convinced her to see Valmont.
(c) The person argued against Valmont's case.
(d) The person told the legal authorities about Valmont's activities.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has been the effect of Madame de Tourvel's separation from Valmont?
2. What does Merteuil advise Cécile to do after being raped by Valmont?
3. What does Merteuil advise Valmont to tell Madame de Tourvel?
4. What does Danceny do to Merteuil, as reported by Madame de Volanges in letter 168?
5. By letter 148, whom has Danceny taken as a lover?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)