|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In letter 147, what startling news does Madame de Volanges notify Madame de Rosemonde of?
(a) Danceny's agonized decision to take orders as a clergyman.
(b) Valmont's duel with Monsieur de Tourvel.
(c) Madame de Tourvel's sudden, serious illness.
(d) Cécile's pregnancy.
2. What is Madame de Tourvel's mindset in letter 161?
(a) Thoughtful and contemplative.
(b) Clear and coherent.
(c) Disturbed and disorganized.
(d) Sad and lonely.
3. What about Valmont worries Madame de Tourvel?
(a) His plans to travel to Italy.
(b) His relationship with Cécile.
(c) The state of his health.
(d) His lack of interest in her.
4. What does Madame de Tourvel send to Madame de Rosemonde?
(a) A suicide note.
(b) A lock of her own hair.
(c) Valmont's cruel letter.
(d) Madame de Volanges' private correspondence.
5. Whom does Cécile enlist as help in her escapades with her lover?
(a) The house porter.
(b) Valmont's butler.
(c) Her mother's cook.
(d) Her old nurse.
6. What does Valmont know Merteuil dislikes reading about?
(a) She dislikes reading Valmont's preachy advice.
(b) She dislikes reading about Valmont's progress with Madame de Tourvel.
(c) She dislikes reading about Cécile's progress with Danceny.
(d) She dislikes reading about Valmont's past seductions.
7. For what does Cécile blame herself the most?
(a) She thinks her mother was sad and disappointed.
(b) She thinks she should have resisted Valmont more.
(c) She broke a promise to Valmont.
(d) She thinks of Danceny too much.
8. What does Valmont order Merteuil to do?
(a) Abandon her affair with Belleroche.
(b) Abandon her affair with Danceny.
(c) Abandon her friendship with Madame de Volanges.
(d) Abandon her tutelage of Cécile.
9. Whom does Merteuil target for her next seduction?
10. To whom does Valmont write to ask about seeing Madame de Tourvel?
(a) To her husband, Monsieur de Tourvel.
(b) To her good friend, Madame de Volanges.
(c) To her confessor, Father Anselme.
(d) To her untrustworthy maid.
11. What does Madame de Tourvel confess to Madame de Rosemonde?
(a) That she loves Valmont.
(b) That she will divorce her husband.
(c) That she secretly hates society.
(d) That he thinks of suicide.
12. How does Cécile respond to Valmont's suggestion about their secret correspondence?
(a) She refuses to steal her mother's key.
(b) She asks to speak to Danceny directly.
(c) She suggests they use a third party to pass their letters.
(d) She agrees to Valmont's request for more time.
13. What is the ultimatum Valmont offers Merteuil?
(a) He resolves to be either her lover or her enemy.
(b) He demands that she submit to him or die.
(c) He demands that she publish her collection of letters, or he will.
(d) He offers a life of pleasure or a life of regret.
14. How does Madame de Rosemonde respond to Madame de Tourvel's news concerning herself and Valmont?
(a) With calm, pious acceptance.
(b) With disappointment and censure.
(c) With rage and harsh words.
(d) With confusion and curiosity.
15. What does Merteuil advise Cécile to do after being raped by Valmont?
(a) Give into despair.
(b) Confess everything to her mother and ask for forgiveness.
(c) Keep the event secret from Danceny and elope with him.
(d) Give into pleasure and take Valmont as a lover.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Merteuil approach sex on her wedding night?
2. What does Madame de Tourvel reveal to Valmont in letter 90?
3. What does Valmont tell Danceny in letter 89?
4. How does Prévan get into Merteuil's room on the night of his apparent victory?
5. Valmont asserts that a girl who has no respect for her mother will what?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)