|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has been the effect of Madame de Tourvel's separation from Valmont?
(a) His memory receded from her mind.
(b) She realizes how much he manipulated her.
(c) She finds another man to love.
(d) She loves him more than ever.
2. What does Danceny complain to Merteuil about in letter 118?
(a) Their current inability to be with each other.
(b) Cécile's coyness about his love for her.
(c) Merteuil's lover, Belleroche.
(d) Valmont's relationship with Cécile.
3. What does Madame de Rosemonde warn Madame de Tourvel about in letter 126?
(a) She warns her that Valmont is a fugitive.
(b) She warns her that Valmont's illness is deadly.
(c) She warns her that Valmont is only interested in ruining women.
(d) She warns her that Valmont has another lover.
4. How does Merteuil think of Madame de Tourvel?
(a) As a rival whom she defeated.
(b) As a no-good whore.
(c) As a sorry case to be pitied.
(d) As a pupil whom she trained.
5. What does Merteuil assert that Madame de Tourvel is doing to Valmont?
(a) Boring him to death.
(b) Making him more intelligent.
(c) Hardening his heart.
(d) Leading him on.
6. What event not directly described in the novel weighs heavily on Merteuil's mind?
(a) A lawsuit involving her.
(b) The death of one of Merteuil's close relatives.
(c) Her planned travels across the Continent.
(d) A devastating fire in a wealthy area of Paris.
7. What happens to Cécile when Valmont's door opens while they are together?
(a) She decides to run away and live on the streets.
(b) She has a seizure and miscarries.
(c) She goes mad and must be institutionalized.
(d) She faints, then wakes to formulate an explanation.
8. What happens to Prévan after Merteuil gets done with him?
(a) His commander orders his arrest.
(b) He proclaims himself innocent in a court of law.
(c) He duels with Merteuil's lover, Belleroche.
(d) He flees the country in disgrace.
9. What is the tone of Cécile's letter to Merteuil after her encounter with Valmont?
(a) Quiet and reserved.
(b) Excited and jocular.
(c) Ashamed and confused.
(d) Proud and haughty.
10. How did Merteuil approach sex on her wedding night?
(a) As a trial to overcome.
(b) As a horrifying violation to fear.
(c) As a boring chore to complete.
(d) As an experience to observe.
11. What did the person whom Valmont sent to Madame de Tourvel do?
(a) The person argued against Valmont's case.
(b) The person convinced her to see Valmont.
(c) The person told the legal authorities about Valmont's activities.
(d) The person suggested Madame de Tourvel run away.
12. What about Valmont worries Madame de Tourvel?
(a) His plans to travel to Italy.
(b) His relationship with Cécile.
(c) His lack of interest in her.
(d) The state of his health.
13. Why does Gercourt wish to delay his and Cécile's marriage?
(a) He has cold feet.
(b) He wants to travel in Italy with a relative.
(c) He wishes for time to allow Cécile to grow up.
(d) His regiment will move further away.
14. What is the ultimatum Valmont offers Merteuil?
(a) He demands that she publish her collection of letters, or he will.
(b) He resolves to be either her lover or her enemy.
(c) He demands that she submit to him or die.
(d) He offers a life of pleasure or a life of regret.
15. Why has Merteuil never remarried?
(a) She is averse to the idea of belonging to one man.
(b) She dislikes anyone having the right to complain about her behavior.
(c) She never meets anyone, but boring old men.
(d) She wants to retain independent control of her fortune.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Valmont order Merteuil to do?
2. How does Cécile respond to Valmont's suggestion about their secret correspondence?
3. What does Merteuil advise Madame de Volanges regarding Cécile?
4. How does Madame de Tourvel feel about Valmont?
5. What does Valmont brag about to Merteuil at the beginning of Part IV?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)