|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Valmont plan to seduce?
(a) Madame de Tourvel.
(c) Madame de Volanges.
2. What advice does Valmont give to Madame de Tourvel?
(a) Desert her husband, in order to marry Valmont.
(b) Love, and her fears will vanish.
(c) Succumb to desire and she will pay the price.
(d) Tell others of his love for Valmont, and they will understand.
3. What does Madame de Volanges threaten to do to Danceny?
(a) Ban him from her house.
(b) Publicly expose him.
(c) Have him arrested.
(d) Bankrupt him.
4. With what circumstance is Danceny most frustrated?
(a) The weather prevents him from traveling.
(b) His inability to express his feelings to Cécile.
(c) Valmont's apparent silence on Danceny and Cécile's affair.
(d) The inconvenience of being stuck in Paris for business matters.
5. Why, says Madame de Tourvel in letter 78, was she wary toward Valmont when they first met?
(a) His jocular disposition irritated her.
(b) His negative reputation put her on her guard.
(c) She resented being the object of his affection.
(d) She was confused about her feelings towards him.
6. How does Coward recommend the novel should be criticized?
(a) By referencing only the text itself, and no outside information.
(b) By employing only what the reader knows about Laclos' life.
(c) By using a variety of critical theories and methodologies.
(d) By placing the novel only in the context of 18th-century France.
7. Whom does Danceny trust to help him continue his relationship with Cécile?
(a) Madame de Tourvel.
(c) Madame de Rosemonde.
8. What does Merteuil tell Cécile when they attend the opera together?
(a) Marriage is a futile institution that oppresses women.
(b) When a woman marries, she must love only her husband.
(c) It is perfectly acceptable to have many lovers at once.
(d) On her wedding night, a young woman must be prepared for certain things.
9. What literary tradition does Coward see as applicable?
(c) Elegiac poetry.
(d) Don Juanism.
10. Into which main form(s) was __Les Liaisons Dangereuses_ reproduced in the 20th century?
(a) Lyric poetry.
(c) Factual memoirs.
(d) Plays and film adaptations.
11. What does Valmont ask Madame de Tourvel to do in letter 35?
(a) Commit to a sexual relationship with him.
(b) Give him the names of those saying bad things about him.
(c) Move to Paris so they can be seen in society together.
(d) Divorce her husband, the judge.
12. Why is Cécile unable to go to the opera with Merteuil?
(a) Madame de Volanges is ill and wishes her daughter to stay with her.
(b) Madame de Volanges prohibits her daughter from seeing Merteuil.
(c) Madame de Volanges does not approve of the opera.
(d) Madame de Volanges is suspicious of her daughter.
13. Whom does Cécile's mother intend for her to marry?
(a) The Chevalier Danceny.
(b) Monsieur de Prévan.
(c) The Comte de Gercourt.
(d) The Vicomte de Valmont.
14. How does Valmont make sure that Madame de Tourvel will read his first letter?
(a) He leaves it in plain sight so she is forced to take it.
(b) He hides it in her writing desk so she will see it.
(c) He gives it to her maid to deliver to her.
(d) He corners her and reads it aloud.
15. Who is the author of the Editor's Preface?
(a) A close friend of Laclos.
(c) Choderlos de Laclos.
(d) Laclos' wife, Marie-Soulange Duperré.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his other writings, what view did Laclos take of women?
2. Where is Madame de Tourvel staying while her husband is away?
3. What does Merteuil call Danceny in letter 38?
4. What does Danceny's letter 28 accuse Cécile of?
5. In letter 5, how does Merteuil react to Valmont's object of desire?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)