|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Valmont say is notable about the man pursuing Merteuil?
(a) He is ugly, but nevertheless a great seducer.
(b) He is well endowed.
(c) Through skilled conversation, he can get anyone to admit to anything.
(d) He ranks high in the King's court.
2. Why, says Madame de Tourvel in letter 78, was she wary toward Valmont when they first met?
(a) She was confused about her feelings towards him.
(b) She resented being the object of his affection.
(c) His jocular disposition irritated her.
(d) His negative reputation put her on her guard.
3. What does Merteuil tell Cécile when they attend the opera together?
(a) Marriage is a futile institution that oppresses women.
(b) It is perfectly acceptable to have many lovers at once.
(c) On her wedding night, a young woman must be prepared for certain things.
(d) When a woman marries, she must love only her husband.
4. What does Madame de Tourvel offer Valmont?
(a) Her body.
(b) Her hatred.
(c) Her undying love.
(d) Her friendship.
5. How does Valmont give Cécile her letter from Danceny?
(a) He slips it under her bedroom door.
(b) He tosses it in her lap.
(c) He gives it to her on a walk in the countryside.
(d) He reads it aloud.
6. What is Valmont and Danceny's relationship as of letter 57?
(a) Vengeful and angry.
(b) Open and trusting.
(c) Wary and cautious.
(d) They do not have a relationship.
7. According to Merteuil in letter 10, which pretext do women use to submit to sexual pleasure with a man?
(a) Women initiate their own seductions.
(b) Women use the excuse of weak-mindedness.
(c) Women come to secret agreements with their lovers.
(d) Women allow themselves to be raped.
8. As of letter 44, what has Madame de Tourvel done with Valmont's letters?
(a) Left them all unread and ignored.
(b) Burnt them.
(c) Saved and repaired them.
(d) Sent them to Madame de Volanges as evidence against Valmont.
9. What does Cécile think are pretty much the same thing?
(a) Sex and love.
(b) Friendship and marriage.
(c) Innocence and ignorance.
(d) Friendship and love.
10. Against whom does Valmont warn Merteuil in letter 70?
11. With what circumstance is Danceny most frustrated?
(a) Valmont's apparent silence on Danceny and Cécile's affair.
(b) The inconvenience of being stuck in Paris for business matters.
(c) His inability to express his feelings to Cécile.
(d) The weather prevents him from traveling.
12. How did French society view Laclos after the publication of _Les Liaisons Dangereuses_?
(a) As a "monster."
(b) As a "saint."
(c) As a "genius."
(d) As a "mystery."
13. Who are the two people Cécile admits she likes best?
(a) Danceny and Madame de Volanges.
(b) Valmont and Merteuil.
(c) Merteuil and Madame de Rosemonde.
(d) Merteuil and Danceny.
14. What advice does Cécile's friend offer regarding Danceny's letter?
(a) Cécile should reply and chastise Danceny for taking such a liberty.
(b) Cécile should reply immediately and assure Danceny of her love.
(c) Cécile should show the letter to her mother.
(d) Cécile should not respond.
15. In letter 52, what does Valmont accuse Madame de Tourvel of slandering?
(a) Valmont's reputation.
(b) The generosity of Valmont's aunt.
(c) The concepts of friendship and trust.
(d) Her own reputation.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Madame de Tourvel react when Valmont professes his love?
2. Where is Madame de Tourvel staying while her husband is away?
3. What does Laclos favor over the well-trained mind?
4. In his other writings, what view did Laclos take of women?
5. How does Valmont avoid detection of his and the Vicomtesse's dalliance?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)