|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Valmont spy on Madame de Tourvel?
(a) He hides behind a tapestry in her room.
(b) He peeps through the keyhole of her room.
(c) He uses a listening device in the room next to hers.
(d) He climbs a balcony to look through her window.
2. What does Madame de Tourvel promise to Madame de Volanges in letter 11?
(a) That she will do everything Valmont asks of her.
(b) That she will treat Valmont coldly.
(c) That she will consider no one's feelings, but her own.
(d) That she will request that Valmont leave the estate.
3. What does Madame de Tourvel allow Valmont to do?
(a) Tell Madame de Rosemonde about his feelings for her.
(b) Have sex with her.
(c) Stay at Madame de Rosemonde's estate.
(d) Write to her while they are apart.
4. Whom does Danceny trust to help him continue his relationship with Cécile?
(b) Madame de Rosemonde.
(d) Madame de Tourvel.
5. What does Danceny refuse to do, despite Madame de Volanges' request?
(a) Marry another woman.
(b) Travel abroad to forget Cécile.
(c) Burn his letters.
(d) Return Cécile's letters.
6. How does Coward characterize each "chapter" in __Les Liaisons Dangereuses_?
(a) They are "theatrical."
(b) They are "stodgy."
(c) They are "flighty."
(d) They are "identical to one another."
7. How does Valmont act toward Madame de Tourvel, as reported in letter 11?
(a) He ignores her and barely speaks to her.
(b) He is gentlemanly and attentive.
(c) He regales her with licentious tales.
(d) He makes no attempt to conceal his lust.
8. What has Merteuil tricked Cécile into doing?
(a) Telling Madame de Volanges about her love for Danceny.
(b) Refusing to marry the Comte de Gercourt.
(c) Meeting with Danceny alone.
(d) Sleeping with Valmont.
9. What does Madame de Volanges say about Valmont to Madame de Tourvel in letter 9?
(a) Valmont has an addiction to gambling.
(b) Valmont is dangerous and deceitful.
(c) Valmont is trustworthy and honest.
(d) Valmont has an excellent reputation around town.
10. What advice does Cécile's friend offer regarding Danceny's letter?
(a) Cécile should reply and chastise Danceny for taking such a liberty.
(b) Cécile should show the letter to her mother.
(c) Cécile should not respond.
(d) Cécile should reply immediately and assure Danceny of her love.
11. Why must Cécile's marriage be postponed?
(a) Cécile plans to travel and further her education.
(b) Cécile has second thoughts about marriage.
(c) Her fiancé is gravely ill.
(d) Her fiancé is away with his regiment.
12. How does Merteuil respond to Valmont's warning about the man who wants to pursue her?
(a) She ignores his warning and forgets the man.
(b) She decides to pursue the man.
(c) She takes Valmont's advice to beware.
(d) She resolves to reform the man's libertine ways.
13. Whom does Cécile's mother intend for her to marry?
(a) Monsieur de Prévan.
(b) The Vicomte de Valmont.
(c) The Comte de Gercourt.
(d) The Chevalier Danceny.
14. In letter 20, what does Merteuil promise Valmont upon the success of his seduction of Madame de Tourvel?
(a) That she will admit he is better at seductions than she.
(b) That she will sleep with him.
(c) That she will introduce him to another young lady.
(d) That she will never speak to him again.
15. According to Merteuil in letter 10, which pretext do women use to submit to sexual pleasure with a man?
(a) Women allow themselves to be raped.
(b) Women come to secret agreements with their lovers.
(c) Women initiate their own seductions.
(d) Women use the excuse of weak-mindedness.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who or what does Coward see as at fault for the events of the novel?
2. With which philosophical movement of the 18th century is Laclos associated?
3. To whom does the Marquise de Merteuil confide her plots?
4. How does Valmont give Cécile her letter from Danceny?
5. How does Cécile initially feel about Danceny?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)