|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Madame de Tourvel react when Valmont professes his love?
(a) She faints on the floor.
(b) She bursts into tears.
(c) She scolds him.
(d) She stands bemused and silent.
2. How does Valmont force Madame de Tourvel's maid to help with his plans?
(a) He bribes her with 400 francs.
(b) He rapes her.
(c) He threatens to blackmail her.
(d) He humiliates her by forcing her to be naked.
3. How does Coward characterize each "chapter" in __Les Liaisons Dangereuses_?
(a) They are "flighty."
(b) They are "stodgy."
(c) They are "identical to one another."
(d) They are "theatrical."
4. What is an "epistolary novel?"
(a) A novel told from the perspective of a single character.
(b) A novel centering around a mythical being.
(c) A novel set in Medieval times.
(d) A novel told through letters.
5. What does Madame de Tourvel offer Valmont?
(a) Her body.
(b) Her hatred.
(c) Her friendship.
(d) Her undying love.
6. What advice does Cécile's friend offer regarding Danceny's letter?
(a) Cécile should not respond.
(b) Cécile should reply immediately and assure Danceny of her love.
(c) Cécile should show the letter to her mother.
(d) Cécile should reply and chastise Danceny for taking such a liberty.
7. Whom does Merteuil want to manipulate into a relationship with Cécile?
(c) Monsieur de Tourvel.
8. How does Valmont make sure that Madame de Tourvel will read his first letter?
(a) He leaves it in plain sight so she is forced to take it.
(b) He corners her and reads it aloud.
(c) He gives it to her maid to deliver to her.
(d) He hides it in her writing desk so she will see it.
9. How does Valmont act toward Madame de Tourvel, as reported in letter 11?
(a) He regales her with licentious tales.
(b) He is gentlemanly and attentive.
(c) He makes no attempt to conceal his lust.
(d) He ignores her and barely speaks to her.
10. Why must Cécile's marriage be postponed?
(a) Cécile has second thoughts about marriage.
(b) Cécile plans to travel and further her education.
(c) Her fiancé is away with his regiment.
(d) Her fiancé is gravely ill.
11. How does Valmont contrive to grope the woman he wants to seduce?
(a) By carrying her across a ditch.
(b) By grabbing her from behind.
(c) By helping her mount a horse.
(d) By pretending to stumble into her.
12. How was __Les Liaisons Dangereuses_ treated after the turn of the 20th century?
(a) Readers and critics were more likely to praise and study it.
(b) Readers and critics reaffirmed the initial 18th-century response.
(c) Readers and critics extolled it as the single best novel of the Western hemisphere.
(d) Readers and critics ignored its existence until ten years ago.
13. What was Laclos' relationship with his own wife and children?
(a) He was cold and distant.
(b) He was warm and loving.
(c) He was timid and shy.
(d) He was harsh and abusive.
14. Who does Valmont trick to spend time with the Vicomtesse de M?
15. Which place in the social hierarchy did Laclos' family occupy?
(a) The lowest form of nobility.
(b) The highest form of the gentry.
(c) The clergy.
(d) The peasant class.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his other writings, what view did Laclos take of women?
2. As of letter 44, what has Madame de Tourvel done with Valmont's letters?
3. How does Valmont trick Madame de Volanges into receiving his second letter?
4. What does Merteuil call Danceny in letter 38?
5. Whom does Danceny trust to help him continue his relationship with Cécile?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)