|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In letter 52, what does Valmont accuse Madame de Tourvel of slandering?
(a) Valmont's reputation.
(b) The concepts of friendship and trust.
(c) The generosity of Valmont's aunt.
(d) Her own reputation.
2. What does the author of the Editor's Preface claim he has done?
(a) Written all the letters himself, from the perspective of fictional characters.
(b) Collected and organized real letters, and provided occasional notes.
(c) Translated these letters from another language into French.
(d) Written the story of his own group of friends into the form of letters.
3. How does Cécile generally feel about the prospect of soon being married?
(a) Excited, but confused.
(b) Haughty and snobbish.
(c) Depressed and dour.
(d) Anxious and frightened.
4. What does Madame de Volanges discover about her daughter?
(a) She has been having sex with Valmont.
(b) She has been corresponding with Danceny.
(c) She has been disrespectful to God.
(d) She has been spending her inheritance foolishly.
5. How does Valmont contrive to grope the woman he wants to seduce?
(a) By helping her mount a horse.
(b) By grabbing her from behind.
(c) By pretending to stumble into her.
(d) By carrying her across a ditch.
6. What does Merteuil do to get herself in the mood for sex with her lover?
(a) She reads.
(b) She gazes at herself in the mirror.
(c) She drinks wine.
(d) She daydreams.
7. What event does Madame de Volanges' sudden illness threaten?
(a) Merteuil's meeting with Valmont.
(b) Danceny's meeting with Madame de Tourvel.
(c) Cécile's secret meeting with Danceny.
(d) Cécile's meeting with Valmont.
8. In letter 15, what does Valmont call Merteuil about her attentions to her current lover?
(a) He calls her selfish and callous.
(b) He calls her gentle and caring.
(c) He calls her a slave to another's pleasure.
(d) He calls her an attention seeker.
9. Who is the author of the Editor's Preface?
(a) Choderlos de Laclos.
(b) A close friend of Laclos.
(c) Laclos' wife, Marie-Soulange Duperré.
10. What advice does Valmont give to Madame de Tourvel?
(a) Tell others of his love for Valmont, and they will understand.
(b) Succumb to desire and she will pay the price.
(c) Desert her husband, in order to marry Valmont.
(d) Love, and her fears will vanish.
11. Against whom does Valmont warn Merteuil in letter 70?
12. Whom does Valmont plan to seduce?
(b) Madame de Tourvel.
(d) Madame de Volanges.
13. What does Madame de Volanges threaten to do to Danceny?
(a) Bankrupt him.
(b) Have him arrested.
(c) Publicly expose him.
(d) Ban him from her house.
14. What does Danceny refuse to do, despite Madame de Volanges' request?
(a) Marry another woman.
(b) Return Cécile's letters.
(c) Burn his letters.
(d) Travel abroad to forget Cécile.
15. Why, says Madame de Tourvel in letter 78, was she wary toward Valmont when they first met?
(a) She was confused about her feelings towards him.
(b) His jocular disposition irritated her.
(c) His negative reputation put her on her guard.
(d) She resented being the object of his affection.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was __Les Liaisons Dangereuses_ treated after the turn of the 20th century?
2. To whom does the Marquise de Merteuil confide her plots?
3. Where does Cécile live before coming home to Paris?
4. What does Madame de Tourvel promise to Madame de Volanges in letter 11?
5. How do today's readers of Laclos interpret his novel?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)