|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Valmont plan to seduce?
(b) Madame de Volanges.
(d) Madame de Tourvel.
2. In letter 20, what does Merteuil promise Valmont upon the success of his seduction of Madame de Tourvel?
(a) That she will admit he is better at seductions than she.
(b) That she will sleep with him.
(c) That she will never speak to him again.
(d) That she will introduce him to another young lady.
3. What ruse does Valmont use to attempt to secretly rifle through Madame de Tourvel's letters?
(a) He says he is going hunting.
(b) He pretends to be a burglar in the night.
(c) He complains of a headache.
(d) He fakes a nosebleed and leaves the room.
4. What does Valmont say is notable about the man pursuing Merteuil?
(a) He ranks high in the King's court.
(b) Through skilled conversation, he can get anyone to admit to anything.
(c) He is ugly, but nevertheless a great seducer.
(d) He is well endowed.
5. What does Madame de Tourvel promise to Madame de Volanges in letter 11?
(a) That she will do everything Valmont asks of her.
(b) That she will consider no one's feelings, but her own.
(c) That she will request that Valmont leave the estate.
(d) That she will treat Valmont coldly.
6. What event does Madame de Volanges' sudden illness threaten?
(a) Cécile's meeting with Valmont.
(b) Danceny's meeting with Madame de Tourvel.
(c) Cécile's secret meeting with Danceny.
(d) Merteuil's meeting with Valmont.
7. Who notified Madame de Volanges of Cécile and Danceny's romance?
(a) Madame de Tourvel.
(b) Cécile, accidentally.
8. What does Merteuil do to get herself in the mood for sex with her lover?
(a) She reads.
(b) She daydreams.
(c) She drinks wine.
(d) She gazes at herself in the mirror.
9. How does Valmont contrive to grope the woman he wants to seduce?
(a) By helping her mount a horse.
(b) By pretending to stumble into her.
(c) By carrying her across a ditch.
(d) By grabbing her from behind.
10. How does Madame de Tourvel react when Valmont professes his love?
(a) She bursts into tears.
(b) She faints on the floor.
(c) She scolds him.
(d) She stands bemused and silent.
11. What is the name of the school-friend to whom Cécile writes?
12. What does Danceny's letter 28 accuse Cécile of?
(a) Being flirtatious with other men.
(b) Being ignorant about his feelings.
(c) Being heartless and pitiless toward him.
(d) Being rude and condescending in her letters.
13. How does Valmont make sure that Madame de Tourvel will read his first letter?
(a) He hides it in her writing desk so she will see it.
(b) He leaves it in plain sight so she is forced to take it.
(c) He gives it to her maid to deliver to her.
(d) He corners her and reads it aloud.
14. To whom does the Marquise de Merteuil confide her plots?
(a) Madame de Volanges.
(c) Madame de Tourvel.
15. Against whom does Valmont warn Merteuil in letter 70?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Cécile generally feel about the prospect of soon being married?
2. According to Merteuil in letter 10, which pretext do women use to submit to sexual pleasure with a man?
3. What is a "little house?"
4. What message does the Publisher's Foreword give?
5. What is Valmont and Danceny's relationship as of letter 57?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)