|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letters 125 - 150.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is an "epistolary novel?"
(a) A novel told through letters.
(b) A novel told from the perspective of a single character.
(c) A novel centering around a mythical being.
(d) A novel set in Medieval times.
2. With what circumstance is Danceny most frustrated?
(a) The weather prevents him from traveling.
(b) Valmont's apparent silence on Danceny and Cécile's affair.
(c) The inconvenience of being stuck in Paris for business matters.
(d) His inability to express his feelings to Cécile.
3. Upon what does Valmont blame the incident which causes Madame de Tourvel to think Valmont does not love her?
(a) Valmont's desire to help an old acquaintance.
(b) A case of mistaken identity.
(c) The plotting of Madame de Tourvel's husband.
(d) An innocent remark from Madame de Volanges.
4. What event not directly described in the novel weighs heavily on Merteuil's mind?
(a) A devastating fire in a wealthy area of Paris.
(b) A lawsuit involving her.
(c) Her planned travels across the Continent.
(d) The death of one of Merteuil's close relatives.
5. How does Valmont and Madame de Tourvel's first sexual encounter go?
(a) She faints and he rapes her.
(b) It is a mutually satisfying experience.
(c) They are interrupted by a servant halfway through.
(d) She surprises him with her refined technique.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a "little house?"
2. What does Laclos favor over the well-trained mind?
3. Why does Gercourt wish to delay his and Cécile's marriage?
4. How long has Valmont spent seducing Madame de Tourvel?
5. How does Merteuil respond to Valmont's warning about the man who wants to pursue her?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)