|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letters 101 - 124.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Valmont's tale of seduction end?
(a) With a pregnancy.
(b) With an orgy.
(c) With a duel.
(d) With a kidnapping.
2. What does Madame de Tourvel tell Madame de Volanges she will do to get rid of Valmont?
(a) She will blackmail and humiliate him.
(b) She will ask him to leave his aunt's estate.
(c) She will fake her own death.
(d) She will leave Madame de Rosemonde's estate.
3. What event does Valmont tell Madame de Tourvel secured his love for her?
(a) Meeting her for the first time.
(b) His charitable actions toward the peasants.
(c) Looking into her eyes on a starlit evening.
(d) Hearing of her piety from Madame de Rosemonde.
4. What action does Valmont propose to Cécile to facilitate their secret correspondence?
(a) Cécile should suggest that her mother leave Cécile alone at the country estate.
(b) Cécile and Valmont should not write, but only speak privately.
(c) Cécile and Danceny should disguise their handwriting and use the regular postal service.
(d) Cécile should steal her mother's key to Cécile's own room.
5. What is Madame de Tourvel's reaction upon being left alone in her room with Valmont?
(a) She refuses to have anything to do with him.
(b) She goes into delirious convulsions.
(c) She bursts into tears and calls for her maid.
(d) She professes her undying love for him.
Short Answer Questions
1. In letter 5, how does Merteuil react to Valmont's object of desire?
2. How does Valmont force Madame de Tourvel's maid to help with his plans?
3. What does Danceny complain to Merteuil about in letter 118?
4. To whom does Valmont write to ask about seeing Madame de Tourvel?
5. What occurs in the tale of seduction Valmont tells Merteuil in letter 79?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)