|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letters 101 - 124.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Merteuil call Danceny in letter 38?
(a) Canny and secretive.
(b) Quiet and wise.
(c) Stupid and boring.
(d) Brainy and obtuse.
2. How does Prévan get into Merteuil's room on the night of his apparent victory?
(a) She suggests he use a secret staircase.
(b) He rappels down from her roof.
(c) She suggests he disguise himself as a servant.
(d) He decides to climb her balcony.
3. In letter 5, how does Merteuil react to Valmont's object of desire?
(a) She encourages his plan of seduction.
(b) She expresses doubts as to his capability.
(c) She places absolute faith in Valmont.
(d) She is incredulous and mocking.
4. How does Danceny give his first note to Cécile?
(a) He gives it to Valmont to pass to her.
(b) He throws it on her lap.
(c) He slips it under her bedroom door.
(d) He hides it in her harp case.
5. What does Valmont suspect about Cécile?
(a) That she is unwittingly pregnant.
(b) That she has fallen in love with him.
(c) That she has seduced him.
(d) That she is carrying on with Danceny.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has been the effect of Madame de Tourvel's separation from Valmont?
2. What is Madame de Tourvel's reaction upon being left alone in her room with Valmont?
3. How did Laclos' contemporary critics feel his novel would impact society?
4. How does Valmont give Cécile her letter from Danceny?
5. What does Madame de Tourvel offer Valmont?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)