|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letters 51 - 80.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Merteuil call the woman Valmont wishes to seduce?
(a) A prude.
(b) A child.
(c) A hag.
(d) A trollop.
2. Who are the two people Cécile admits she likes best?
(a) Merteuil and Madame de Rosemonde.
(b) Danceny and Madame de Volanges.
(c) Merteuil and Danceny.
(d) Valmont and Merteuil.
3. What advice does Cécile's friend offer regarding Danceny's letter?
(a) Cécile should show the letter to her mother.
(b) Cécile should reply and chastise Danceny for taking such a liberty.
(c) Cécile should not respond.
(d) Cécile should reply immediately and assure Danceny of her love.
4. How does Valmont force Madame de Tourvel's maid to help with his plans?
(a) He rapes her.
(b) He humiliates her by forcing her to be naked.
(c) He threatens to blackmail her.
(d) He bribes her with 400 francs.
5. What has Merteuil tricked Cécile into doing?
(a) Sleeping with Valmont.
(b) Meeting with Danceny alone.
(c) Telling Madame de Volanges about her love for Danceny.
(d) Refusing to marry the Comte de Gercourt.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ruse does Valmont use to attempt to secretly rifle through Madame de Tourvel's letters?
2. How does Danceny give his first note to Cécile?
3. How do today's readers of Laclos interpret his novel?
4. What is the main rule of Valmont's and Merteuil's seductions?
5. What does Laclos favor over the well-trained mind?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)