|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letters 51 - 80.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In letter 20, what does Merteuil promise Valmont upon the success of his seduction of Madame de Tourvel?
(a) That she will admit he is better at seductions than she.
(b) That she will sleep with him.
(c) That she will never speak to him again.
(d) That she will introduce him to another young lady.
2. What does Merteuil do to get herself in the mood for sex with her lover?
(a) She reads.
(b) She daydreams.
(c) She gazes at herself in the mirror.
(d) She drinks wine.
3. How does Coward recommend the novel should be criticized?
(a) By employing only what the reader knows about Laclos' life.
(b) By referencing only the text itself, and no outside information.
(c) By using a variety of critical theories and methodologies.
(d) By placing the novel only in the context of 18th-century France.
4. According to the author of the Editor's Preface, what is the value of a work of literature?
(a) Its usefulness to society and/or the pleasure it gives its readers.
(b) The price it can be sold at; the wealth it can bring its author.
(c) Its moral obligation to society.
(d) The opportunity it offers its readers to escape their dull, daily lives.
5. Who wrote the Publisher's Foreword to _Les Liasons Dangerueses_?
(a) Choderlos de Laclos.
(b) The Duke d'Orleans.
(c) The owner of the shop in which the book was printed.
(d) Laclos' wife, Marie-Soulange Duperré.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what issue does Cécile ask Merteuil's advice in letter 27?
2. What advice does Valmont give to Madame de Tourvel?
3. What is the name of the school-friend to whom Cécile writes?
4. How does Valmont make sure that Madame de Tourvel will read his first letter?
5. What does Madame de Tourvel tell Madame de Volanges she will do to get rid of Valmont?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)