|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letters 101 - 124.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the two people Cécile admits she likes best?
(a) Valmont and Merteuil.
(b) Danceny and Madame de Volanges.
(c) Merteuil and Madame de Rosemonde.
(d) Merteuil and Danceny.
2. To whom does Valmont write to ask about seeing Madame de Tourvel?
(a) To her husband, Monsieur de Tourvel.
(b) To her confessor, Father Anselme.
(c) To her good friend, Madame de Volanges.
(d) To her untrustworthy maid.
3. What advice does Valmont give to Madame de Tourvel?
(a) Tell others of his love for Valmont, and they will understand.
(b) Succumb to desire and she will pay the price.
(c) Love, and her fears will vanish.
(d) Desert her husband, in order to marry Valmont.
4. What does Valmont suspect about Cécile?
(a) That she is carrying on with Danceny.
(b) That she has seduced him.
(c) That she has fallen in love with him.
(d) That she is unwittingly pregnant.
5. What occurs in the tale of seduction Valmont tells Merteuil in letter 79?
(a) The many mistresses of the King.
(b) One woman seduces three brothers.
(c) Valmont himself and two unnamed women.
(d) Three couples get hoodwinked by one man.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Madame de Rosemonde offer Madame de Tourvel in her return letter?
2. Why is Cécile unable to go to the opera with Merteuil?
3. How does Valmont act toward Madame de Tourvel, as reported in letter 11?
4. How does Valmont contrive to grope the woman he wants to seduce?
5. Why, says Madame de Tourvel in letter 78, was she wary toward Valmont when they first met?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)