|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letters 101 - 124.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Valmont instruct his valet to do in Paris?
(a) Pretend to be in love with Madame de Tourvel.
(b) Spy on Madame de Tourvel.
(c) Beg to Merteuil for help on Valmont's behalf.
(d) Enlist the help of Danceny in seducing Madame de Tourvel.
2. What does Merteuil advise Cécile to do after being raped by Valmont?
(a) Keep the event secret from Danceny and elope with him.
(b) Give into despair.
(c) Confess everything to her mother and ask for forgiveness.
(d) Give into pleasure and take Valmont as a lover.
3. What does Danceny refuse to do, despite Madame de Volanges' request?
(a) Travel abroad to forget Cécile.
(b) Return Cécile's letters.
(c) Burn his letters.
(d) Marry another woman.
4. Why does Gercourt wish to delay his and Cécile's marriage?
(a) He wants to travel in Italy with a relative.
(b) He has cold feet.
(c) His regiment will move further away.
(d) He wishes for time to allow Cécile to grow up.
5. How does Merteuil respond to Valmont's warning about the man who wants to pursue her?
(a) She resolves to reform the man's libertine ways.
(b) She ignores his warning and forgets the man.
(c) She decides to pursue the man.
(d) She takes Valmont's advice to beware.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Merteuil in letter 10, which pretext do women use to submit to sexual pleasure with a man?
2. What does Madame de Volanges say about Valmont to Madame de Tourvel in letter 9?
3. To whom does Valmont write to ask about seeing Madame de Tourvel?
4. Why must Cécile's marriage be postponed?
5. What does Madame de Tourvel offer Valmont?
This section contains 362 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)