* On August 19, 1991, reports circulate saying that Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev is stepping down due to health concerns.
* Colonel Aleksandr Tretetsky, from the Soviet Military Prosecutor's Office, uncovers the graves of thousands of Polish officers who were sentenced to death by Josef Stalin almost fifty years before.
* Most Russians until recently were ignorant of the purges, executions, or illegal imprisonments that took place during Stalin's reign.
* The Kremlin's propaganda campaigns had successfully provided a laundered view of Russian history.
* Gorbachev decreed that the blanks of Soviet history be filled in, and the truth about the history of Russian land and government brings shame to the Soviet people.
* Party leaders attempt to stop Gorbachev and return the Communist Party to power.
* The KGB orders Tretetsky to stop the excavations; but he refuses, and despite sabotage attempts, he and his crew continue.
* On August 21, 1991, the coup fails, and Tretetsky tells...
This section contains 5,348 words
(approx. 18 pages at 300 words per page)