|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tristan's ship, as its captain, escape?
2. Just after the stock market crash, Tristan, Isabel Two, Decker, and two ranch hands make a trip to deliver what?
3. He listens to the radio and longs to do what?
4. After the graduation reception, Nordstrom tries to give Sonia what?
5. What happens when Tristan tries to calm Susannah?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nordstrom do with his money?
2. What takes place at the meeting between Nordstrom, Sarah, and Slats?
3. How does Ludlow feel after allowing the boys to go to war?
4. What does Tristan do when Susannah says she plans on killing herself? How does this affect her?
5. How does Alfred feel about Susannah? Does she feel the same in return?
6. What does Nordstrom do to Berto?
7. What does Tristan do to two of the Irishmen that are out to kill him?
8. What takes place when most of the people have left the dinner?
9. What are the consequences for Tristan's beating of the officer?
10. What happens when Tristan comes down with dysentery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A theme of REVENGE is taking control of one's life.
Part 1) How is this a theme? Which characters attempt this? How?
Part 2) Are the characters successful at controlling their lives? Why or why not?
Part 3) How is this theme relevant to real life? How can the reader relate to the characters in this story?
Essay Topic 2
Samuel's death is significant.
Part 1) How does Samuel die? How do his family and friends react? Why do the react this way?
Part 2) Why is his death significant? How does it affect the plot?
Part 3) How different would the story be if Samuel had not died? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Nordstrom does not respect himself.
Part 1) Why does he not respect himself? How does he show this?
Part 2) How do Nordstrom's feelings towards himself affect the decisions he makes and his relationships with others?
Part 3) How do Nordstrom's feelings about himself change as the story progresses? How do these changes take place?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)