|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are Tristan and Susannah caught embracing?
2. Sonia asks Nordstrom to visit her where?
3. What happens after Ludlow sends Decker to Helena for supplies?
4. When Alfred cannot reason with Tristan, where does the army send Tristan?
5. Each of the people in Nordstrom's life has his own views about Nordstrom's mid-life crisis. Are any of them able to convince him to change his plans?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Phillip discuss philosophically that seems to upset Nordstrom?
2. How does this story end?
3. What takes place at the meeting between Nordstrom, Sarah, and Slats?
4. What does Tristan do when Susannah says she plans on killing herself? How does this affect her?
5. How does Tristan receive the ship back from the British?
6. How does Ludlow feel after allowing the boys to go to war?
7. What does Nordstrom do with his money?
8. What takes place when most of the people have left the dinner?
9. What does does Nordstrom do on his way to his appointment with the psychiatrist?
10. What does Nordstrom do to Berto?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nordstrom has feelings of death and loss.
Part 1) What causes these feelings? How do these feelings affect him?
Part 2) How do these feelings begin to change? What might be causing this change? How do you know this?
Part 3) How do these feelings lead him to dream of being a chef by the sea?
Essay Topic 2
Samuel's death is significant.
Part 1) How does Samuel die? How do his family and friends react? Why do the react this way?
Part 2) Why is his death significant? How does it affect the plot?
Part 3) How different would the story be if Samuel had not died? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Many characters suffer in REVENGE.
Part 1) Which characters suffer? How and why do each of them suffer?
Part 2) How is the theme of gaining control connected to this suffering?
Part 3) Is this suffering and conflict resolved by the end of the story? Why or why not?
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)