|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At a celebratory dinner, they all watch another party which is rich from what?
2. Why does Susannah's father provide Alfred with an office in Helena?
3. Who are the three brothers?
4. In the summer, Tristan makes imaginary plans with Susannah, but only wants what?
5. Nordstrom's secretary, Ms. Dietrich, has to leave after getting too drunk, ending what plans?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tristan spend seven years with his new wife?
2. How do the boys learn of Samuel's death? How does Tristan react to his death?
3. What happens when Tristan comes down with dysentery?
4. What does Nordstrom write in his diary?
5. How does Nordstrom spend his time at his going-away party?
6. What does Phillip discuss philosophically that seems to upset Nordstrom?
7. What does Tristan do during the six years he spends at sea?
8. What does Nordstrom discuss with his psychiatrist?
9. How does Ludlow feel after allowing the boys to go to war?
10. How does Tristan escape the hospital? What does he do after his escape?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
These three stories have been put together in one book.
Part 1) What is a theme of each story? How is this a theme? How is each of these stories relevant today?
Part 2) What do these three stories have in common? Why are they found in the same book?
Part 3) What message does this book send to the reader? What is the purpose of this book?
Part 4) What are your thoughts about this book? How do these stories affect you?
Essay Topic 2
Tristan's response to Samuel's death is surprising.
Part 1) How does Tristan react? Why might he react this way?
Part 2) How do others treat him, because of his reaction? Why?
Part 3) How does Tristan's reaction and feelings about Samuel's death affect him throughout the rest of his life? How does his behavior affect those around him?
Essay Topic 3
Nordstrom does not respect himself.
Part 1) Why does he not respect himself? How does he show this?
Part 2) How do Nordstrom's feelings towards himself affect the decisions he makes and his relationships with others?
Part 3) How do Nordstrom's feelings about himself change as the story progresses? How do these changes take place?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)