|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Alfred buy a house in Helena?
2. Captain Ludlow makes Tristan cooperate with the British war mission for what reason?
3. Why does the British officer release the ship?
4. What habit does Nordstrom disclose?
5. Susannah tells Tristan that she plans to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tristan spend seven years with his new wife?
2. What takes place directly after Sonia's graduation?
3. What are the consequences for Tristan's beating of the officer?
4. What takes place during Sarah and Nordstrom's meeting?
5. What takes place at the meeting between Nordstrom, Sarah, and Slats?
6. What does Nordstrom write in his diary?
7. What does Tristan do when Susannah says she plans on killing herself? How does this affect her?
8. How does Isabel Two die?
9. How does a woman end up with Samuel's gold pocket watch?
10. What does Tristan do to two of the Irishmen that are out to kill him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nordstrom suddenly has intense feelings.
Part 1) When do these feelings occur? What might be causing these feelings?
Part 2) How do these feelings influence decisions he makes?
Part 3) How do these feelings affect those who are close to Nordstrom?
Essay Topic 2
Tristan retreats to the sea.
Part 1) Why does he retreat to the sea? How is the sea symbolic?
Part 2) How does this retreat reflect Tristan's feelings at this time?
Part 3) How does this time at sea change the course of his life? How is it significant and life-altering for Tristan?
Essay Topic 3
Many characters suffer in REVENGE.
Part 1) Which characters suffer? How and why do each of them suffer?
Part 2) How is the theme of gaining control connected to this suffering?
Part 3) Is this suffering and conflict resolved by the end of the story? Why or why not?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)