|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Susannah feel about Tristan leaving?
2. What does Tristan do to the officer?
3. Nordstrom's financial adviser insists that Nordstrom see who?
4. When Alfred cannot reason with Tristan, where does the army send Tristan?
5. Alfred secretly loves Susannah. When he comes to visit, how does Susannah react to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nordstrom spend his time at his going-away party?
2. How does Tristan spend seven years with his new wife?
3. What takes place directly after Sonia's graduation?
4. What takes place at the meeting between Nordstrom, Sarah, and Slats?
5. What does Tristan do during the six years he spends at sea?
6. What does does Nordstrom do on his way to his appointment with the psychiatrist?
7. What are the consequences for Tristan's beating of the officer?
8. What does Nordstrom do to Berto?
9. What does Tristan do when Susannah says she plans on killing herself? How does this affect her?
10. Why is Susannah feeling better in the new house in Helena?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many characters suffer in REVENGE.
Part 1) Which characters suffer? How and why do each of them suffer?
Part 2) How is the theme of gaining control connected to this suffering?
Part 3) Is this suffering and conflict resolved by the end of the story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Susannah commits suicide.
Part 1) Why does she commit suicide? What foreshadows her suicide? Could her suicide have been prevented? Why or why not?
Part 2) What role does Tristan play in Susannah's suicide? How could he have acted differently to possibly prevent this act?
Part 3) How does Tristan learn of Susannah's death? Why does he learn about it in this way? What does this reveal about Alfred?
Part 4) How does her death affect the other characters and the plot of the story? How might the story have ended if she had not died? Use the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism exists in REVENGE.
Part 1) Describe two examples of symbolism. Of what are they symbolic?
Part 2) How does this symbolism enhance the story?
Part 3) How does this symbolism or that which is being symbolized support a theme in this story?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)