|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tristan do to the officer?
2. At a celebratory dinner, they all watch another party which is rich from what?
3. Thanks to Phillip, everyone knows what about Nordstrom?
4. Why does Alfred buy a house in Helena?
5. What does the company plan for Nordstrom's leaving?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does does Nordstrom do on his way to his appointment with the psychiatrist?
2. What does Nordstrom do to Berto?
3. How does Tristan receive the ship back from the British?
4. How does Isabel Two die?
5. How does this story end?
6. How does Tristan spend seven years with his new wife?
7. How does Ludlow feel after allowing the boys to go to war?
8. What does Nordstrom do with his money?
9. What takes place when most of the people have left the dinner?
10. What does Tristan do to two of the Irishmen that are out to kill him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tristan's response to Samuel's death is surprising.
Part 1) How does Tristan react? Why might he react this way?
Part 2) How do others treat him, because of his reaction? Why?
Part 3) How does Tristan's reaction and feelings about Samuel's death affect him throughout the rest of his life? How does his behavior affect those around him?
Essay Topic 2
Cochran's feelings of hopelessness are symbolized.
Part 1) Why does Cochran feel hopeless? How is this symbolized?
Part 2) How and why is some of this symbolism related to his hopelessness found throughout the story?
Part 3) How does Cochran deal with his feelings of hopelessness? How does this affect others in the story?
Part 4) When have you felt hopeless? How did you deal with it? How does this help you understand what Cochran is going through?
Essay Topic 3
Susannah and Tristan make destructive decisions.
Part 1) What destructive decisions do each of them make? Why do they make these decisions? What do these decisions reveal about each of these characters?
Part 2) How do events previously mentioned in this story affect the decisions made by Susannah and Tristan?
Part 3) How do these decisions affect the outcome of this story? How do the decisions made by each of these characters affect the other character?
This section contains 1,121 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)