|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sarah respond when Nordstrom makes a counter offer?
2. What does Tristan do to the officer?
3. Their father's Cheyenne friend, ____________, guides the brothers through the Montana wilderness.
4. When Ludlow finally goes downstairs to dinner, what depresses him?
5. What does Nordstrom think about what Phillip says?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tristan play a role in Susannah's suicide?
2. What does Nordstrom do to Berto?
3. Why does Tristan marry Susannah? How does Susannah seem to feel about him? How do you know this?
4. What does does Nordstrom do on his way to his appointment with the psychiatrist?
5. What does Phillip discuss philosophically that seems to upset Nordstrom?
6. Why does Ludlow send One Stab to Helena?
7. How does this story end?
8. What does Tristan do when Susannah says she plans on killing herself? How does this affect her?
9. What happens when Tristan comes down with dysentery?
10. What takes place at the meeting between Nordstrom, Sarah, and Slats?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Backstories are given about Nordstrom.
Part 1) What are these backstories? What purpose do they serve?
Part 2) Are these necessary to understand Nordstrom? Why or why not?
Part 3) What is significant and/or symbolic about these backstories? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Many characters in REVENGE feel regret.
Part 1) Why do they feel regret? What are the causes of this regret?
Part 2) How does this regret influence their actions? How does it affect the plot?
Part 3) How could this regret have been avoided? How might this have altered the plot, as well as the outcome of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Susannah commits suicide.
Part 1) Why does she commit suicide? What foreshadows her suicide? Could her suicide have been prevented? Why or why not?
Part 2) What role does Tristan play in Susannah's suicide? How could he have acted differently to possibly prevent this act?
Part 3) How does Tristan learn of Susannah's death? Why does he learn about it in this way? What does this reveal about Alfred?
Part 4) How does her death affect the other characters and the plot of the story? How might the story have ended if she had not died? Use the text to support your response.
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)