|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Susannah tells Tristan that she plans to do what?
2. Why is Susannah better?
3. What does Nordstrom ask Phillip's friend, the Sephard, to arrange?
4. What happens when the officers shoot their rifles into the air aimlessly?
5. Why does the British officer release the ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens once Alfred arrives?
2. What does Tristan do to two of the Irishmen that are out to kill him?
3. What does does Nordstrom do on his way to his appointment with the psychiatrist?
4. How do the boys learn of Samuel's death? How does Tristan react to his death?
5. What does Tristan do when Susannah says she plans on killing herself? How does this affect her?
6. Why does Tristan marry Susannah? How does Susannah seem to feel about him? How do you know this?
7. What takes place at the meeting between Nordstrom, Sarah, and Slats?
8. How does Ludlow feel after allowing the boys to go to war?
9. How does a woman end up with Samuel's gold pocket watch?
10. How does Alfred feel about Susannah? Does she feel the same in return?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nordstrom does not respect himself.
Part 1) Why does he not respect himself? How does he show this?
Part 2) How do Nordstrom's feelings towards himself affect the decisions he makes and his relationships with others?
Part 3) How do Nordstrom's feelings about himself change as the story progresses? How do these changes take place?
Essay Topic 2
Cochran's feelings of hopelessness are symbolized.
Part 1) Why does Cochran feel hopeless? How is this symbolized?
Part 2) How and why is some of this symbolism related to his hopelessness found throughout the story?
Part 3) How does Cochran deal with his feelings of hopelessness? How does this affect others in the story?
Part 4) When have you felt hopeless? How did you deal with it? How does this help you understand what Cochran is going through?
Essay Topic 3
Nordstrom's encounters with Berto and Slats are significant.
Part 1) Describe the encounters. How does Nordstrom handle these situations?
Part 2) What do these encounters reveal about him?
Part 3) How do these encounters change Nordstrom's life? How do the events prior to these encounters influence his behavior during these encounters?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)