|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A tall black man named Slats and his Italian friend named Berto come in and do what?
2. When the psychiatrist asks what interests him, how does Nordstrom answer?
3. How far does Tristan carry Isabel Two?
4. Tristan and Susannah marry before Samuel's funeral against whose wishes?
5. Why does Alfred buy a house in Helena?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the consequences for Tristan's beating of the officer?
2. What does Phillip discuss philosophically that seems to upset Nordstrom?
3. How does Tristan receive the ship back from the British?
4. What does Nordstrom do with his money?
5. How does a woman end up with Samuel's gold pocket watch?
6. What takes place at the meeting between Nordstrom, Sarah, and Slats?
7. How does Tristan spend seven years with his new wife?
8. What does Tristan do when Susannah says she plans on killing herself? How does this affect her?
9. What does does Nordstrom do on his way to his appointment with the psychiatrist?
10. What does Tristan do to two of the Irishmen that are out to kill him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nordstrom has a preoccupation with sexuality.
Part 1) How is this reflected in his relationships? What might cause this preoccupation?
Part 2) How does his sexuality change throughout the story? With what other events do these sexual or lack of sexual feelings parallel?
Part 3) Would you consider this preoccupation normal? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Samuel's death is significant.
Part 1) How does Samuel die? How do his family and friends react? Why do the react this way?
Part 2) Why is his death significant? How does it affect the plot?
Part 3) How different would the story be if Samuel had not died? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Many characters in REVENGE feel regret.
Part 1) Why do they feel regret? What are the causes of this regret?
Part 2) How does this regret influence their actions? How does it affect the plot?
Part 3) How could this regret have been avoided? How might this have altered the plot, as well as the outcome of the story?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)