|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tristan smuggles whiskey through the wilderness and makes a __________ profit.
2. At a celebratory dinner, they all watch another party which is rich from what?
3. Nordstrom's secretary, Ms. Dietrich, has to leave after getting too drunk, ending what plans?
4. What does Tristan's ship, as its captain, escape?
5. The brothers' father, Ludlow, regrets what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What takes place directly after Sonia's graduation?
2. How does a woman end up with Samuel's gold pocket watch?
3. What does Nordstrom write in his diary?
4. How does Nordstrom spend his time at his going-away party?
5. What does Nordstrom do with his money?
6. Why does Ludlow send One Stab to Helena?
7. What does Tristan do to two of the Irishmen that are out to kill him?
8. How does Tristan spend seven years with his new wife?
9. What are the consequences for Tristan's beating of the officer?
10. What does Phillip discuss philosophically that seems to upset Nordstrom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Susannah and Tristan make destructive decisions.
Part 1) What destructive decisions do each of them make? Why do they make these decisions? What do these decisions reveal about each of these characters?
Part 2) How do events previously mentioned in this story affect the decisions made by Susannah and Tristan?
Part 3) How do these decisions affect the outcome of this story? How do the decisions made by each of these characters affect the other character?
Essay Topic 2
Samuel's death is significant.
Part 1) How does Samuel die? How do his family and friends react? Why do the react this way?
Part 2) Why is his death significant? How does it affect the plot?
Part 3) How different would the story be if Samuel had not died? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Tristan's response to Samuel's death is surprising.
Part 1) How does Tristan react? Why might he react this way?
Part 2) How do others treat him, because of his reaction? Why?
Part 3) How does Tristan's reaction and feelings about Samuel's death affect him throughout the rest of his life? How does his behavior affect those around him?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)