|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Thanks to Phillip, everyone knows what about Nordstrom?
2. Who does Ludlow insist on tutoring?
3. Tristan comes down with dysentery in dangerous seas and barely escapes with both his life and the ship. His fevers make him delirious. He stands on the bowspirit and hallucinates what?
4. The brothers and their father's Native American friend stop at a tavern where Tristan beats the owner for what reason?
5. How are Tristan and Susannah caught embracing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ludlow feel after allowing the boys to go to war?
2. How does Tristan receive the ship back from the British?
3. Why does Tristan marry Susannah? How does Susannah seem to feel about him? How do you know this?
4. What happens once Alfred arrives?
5. What takes place when most of the people have left the dinner?
6. How does Isabel Two die?
7. What takes place at the meeting between Nordstrom, Sarah, and Slats?
8. How does Tristan escape the hospital? What does he do after his escape?
9. What does does Nordstrom do on his way to his appointment with the psychiatrist?
10. What does Tristan do during the six years he spends at sea?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nordstrom has feelings of death and loss.
Part 1) What causes these feelings? How do these feelings affect him?
Part 2) How do these feelings begin to change? What might be causing this change? How do you know this?
Part 3) How do these feelings lead him to dream of being a chef by the sea?
Essay Topic 2
These three stories have been put together in one book.
Part 1) What is a theme of each story? How is this a theme? How is each of these stories relevant today?
Part 2) What do these three stories have in common? Why are they found in the same book?
Part 3) What message does this book send to the reader? What is the purpose of this book?
Part 4) What are your thoughts about this book? How do these stories affect you?
Essay Topic 3
Isabel Two is shot and killed.
Part 1) How does this happen? How does Tristan react? What are the consequences for his actions? Is this surprising? Why or why not?
Part 2) How does her death affect the other characters? How does it specifically affect Susannah and Tristan? How does it affect the flow of the plot?
Part 3) How different would the plot be if she had not died? How might the outcome of the story be different if she had lived?
This section contains 1,129 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)