|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tristan complete the mission?
2. What does Tristan learn when he visits Alfred in the hospital?
3. After the graduation reception, Nordstrom tries to give Sonia what?
4. Nordstrom tells Laura, Sonia, and Phillip that he plans to cash in his trip tickets and do what?
5. A tall black man named Slats and his Italian friend named Berto come in and do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tristan play a role in Susannah's suicide?
2. How does Alfred feel about Susannah? Does she feel the same in return?
3. Why does Tristan marry Susannah? How does Susannah seem to feel about him? How do you know this?
4. What are the consequences for Tristan's beating of the officer?
5. What takes place when most of the people have left the dinner?
6. How does this story end?
7. How does Tristan receive the ship back from the British?
8. How does Tristan spend seven years with his new wife?
9. What does does Nordstrom do on his way to his appointment with the psychiatrist?
10. What happens once Alfred arrives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nordstrom suddenly has intense feelings.
Part 1) When do these feelings occur? What might be causing these feelings?
Part 2) How do these feelings influence decisions he makes?
Part 3) How do these feelings affect those who are close to Nordstrom?
Essay Topic 2
Isabel Two is shot and killed.
Part 1) How does this happen? How does Tristan react? What are the consequences for his actions? Is this surprising? Why or why not?
Part 2) How does her death affect the other characters? How does it specifically affect Susannah and Tristan? How does it affect the flow of the plot?
Part 3) How different would the plot be if she had not died? How might the outcome of the story be different if she had lived?
Essay Topic 3
Susannah and Tristan make destructive decisions.
Part 1) What destructive decisions do each of them make? Why do they make these decisions? What do these decisions reveal about each of these characters?
Part 2) How do events previously mentioned in this story affect the decisions made by Susannah and Tristan?
Part 3) How do these decisions affect the outcome of this story? How do the decisions made by each of these characters affect the other character?
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)