|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alfred returns home to Washington DC, where Susannah is suffering from what?
2. One Stab accompanies Tristan to the train station and gives Tristan what, which Tristan keeps until his death at age eighty-four?
3. What happens when the officers shoot their rifles into the air aimlessly?
4. He listens to the radio and longs to do what?
5. What does Nordstrom ask Phillip's friend, the Sephard, to arrange?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nordstrom do with his money?
2. How does Tristan escape the hospital? What does he do after his escape?
3. How does Tristan spend seven years with his new wife?
4. Why does Tristan marry Susannah? How does Susannah seem to feel about him? How do you know this?
5. How does Alfred feel about Susannah? Does she feel the same in return?
6. What happens when Tristan comes down with dysentery?
7. How does Ludlow feel after allowing the boys to go to war?
8. What does Tristan do to two of the Irishmen that are out to kill him?
9. How does Tristan play a role in Susannah's suicide?
10. What are the consequences for Tristan's beating of the officer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many characters suffer in REVENGE.
Part 1) Which characters suffer? How and why do each of them suffer?
Part 2) How is the theme of gaining control connected to this suffering?
Part 3) Is this suffering and conflict resolved by the end of the story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Susannah commits suicide.
Part 1) Why does she commit suicide? What foreshadows her suicide? Could her suicide have been prevented? Why or why not?
Part 2) What role does Tristan play in Susannah's suicide? How could he have acted differently to possibly prevent this act?
Part 3) How does Tristan learn of Susannah's death? Why does he learn about it in this way? What does this reveal about Alfred?
Part 4) How does her death affect the other characters and the plot of the story? How might the story have ended if she had not died? Use the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
Tristan's response to Samuel's death is surprising.
Part 1) How does Tristan react? Why might he react this way?
Part 2) How do others treat him, because of his reaction? Why?
Part 3) How does Tristan's reaction and feelings about Samuel's death affect him throughout the rest of his life? How does his behavior affect those around him?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)