|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Ludlow stay in his room after his sons leave?
2. What happens when the officers shoot their rifles into the air aimlessly?
3. Nordstrom tells the psychiatrist that he wants to be like who?
4. Susannah's father, Arthur, comes to Montana for a sporting expedition and buys what as a wedding present?
5. When Alfred cannot reason with Tristan, where does the army send Tristan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tristan do during the six years he spends at sea?
2. How does a woman end up with Samuel's gold pocket watch?
3. How does Nordstrom spend his time at his going-away party?
4. What are the consequences for Tristan's beating of the officer?
5. What takes place during Sarah and Nordstrom's meeting?
6. What does Nordstrom write in his diary?
7. How does Tristan receive the ship back from the British?
8. How does Tristan escape the hospital? What does he do after his escape?
9. How does this story end?
10. What happens once Alfred arrives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A theme of REVENGE is taking control of one's life.
Part 1) How is this a theme? Which characters attempt this? How?
Part 2) Are the characters successful at controlling their lives? Why or why not?
Part 3) How is this theme relevant to real life? How can the reader relate to the characters in this story?
Essay Topic 2
Backstories are given about Nordstrom.
Part 1) What are these backstories? What purpose do they serve?
Part 2) Are these necessary to understand Nordstrom? Why or why not?
Part 3) What is significant and/or symbolic about these backstories? Why?
Essay Topic 3
These three stories have been put together in one book.
Part 1) What is a theme of each story? How is this a theme? How is each of these stories relevant today?
Part 2) What do these three stories have in common? Why are they found in the same book?
Part 3) What message does this book send to the reader? What is the purpose of this book?
Part 4) What are your thoughts about this book? How do these stories affect you?
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)