|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the locker room, what does Tibey's chauffeur give Cochran?
2. Nordstrom tells Sonia and her boyfriend, Phillip, to invite who?
3. Tibey gets Miryea presentable and takes her where?
4. How does Tibey keep Miryea submissive?
5. The wealthy rancher pays the Texan with what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nordstrom do in the tavern?
2. How do Nordstrom and Laura meet?
3. How does Nordstrom's sexual potency return?
4. How does Nordstrom realize that Laura has feelings for him?
5. What happens to Cochran and Miryea at the cabin?
6. How does Nordstrom feel during his summer with his daughter?
7. Describe Nordstrom and Laura's relationship.
8. What is happening to Cochran's cover story? What is done to try to save it?
9. What happens after Tibey and Cochran's reconciliation?
10. For what does Cochran prepare? How does this hurt him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Backstories are given about Nordstrom.
Part 1) What are these backstories? What purpose do they serve?
Part 2) Are these necessary to understand Nordstrom? Why or why not?
Part 3) What is significant and/or symbolic about these backstories? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Susannah and Tristan make destructive decisions.
Part 1) What destructive decisions do each of them make? Why do they make these decisions? What do these decisions reveal about each of these characters?
Part 2) How do events previously mentioned in this story affect the decisions made by Susannah and Tristan?
Part 3) How do these decisions affect the outcome of this story? How do the decisions made by each of these characters affect the other character?
Essay Topic 3
Nordstrom does not respect himself.
Part 1) Why does he not respect himself? How does he show this?
Part 2) How do Nordstrom's feelings towards himself affect the decisions he makes and his relationships with others?
Part 3) How do Nordstrom's feelings about himself change as the story progresses? How do these changes take place?
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)