|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what does Nordstrom spend the next few years?
2. In August, Nordstrom and Sonia move to the house he has rented where?
3. What does Cochran think is still a secret?
4. Why does Nordstrom cry in the restroom?
5. About what do Nordstrom and the Sephard talk?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nordstrom and Laura's marriage end?
2. How does Nordstrom's sexual potency return?
3. What does Tibey do after Cochran is thrown out of the limo?
4. What does Cochran do while he recuperates?
5. What happens after Cochran finishes a tennis tournament?
6. What does Tibey do to try to make amends?
7. What happens to the Texan?
8. What does Tibey do for a very sick Miryea? Why does he do this?
9. What happens after Tibey and Cochran's reconciliation?
10. Why does Amador warn Cochran?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Susannah commits suicide.
Part 1) Why does she commit suicide? What foreshadows her suicide? Could her suicide have been prevented? Why or why not?
Part 2) What role does Tristan play in Susannah's suicide? How could he have acted differently to possibly prevent this act?
Part 3) How does Tristan learn of Susannah's death? Why does he learn about it in this way? What does this reveal about Alfred?
Part 4) How does her death affect the other characters and the plot of the story? How might the story have ended if she had not died? Use the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
Nordstrom has a preoccupation with sexuality.
Part 1) How is this reflected in his relationships? What might cause this preoccupation?
Part 2) How does his sexuality change throughout the story? With what other events do these sexual or lack of sexual feelings parallel?
Part 3) Would you consider this preoccupation normal? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Nordstrom's encounters with Berto and Slats are significant.
Part 1) Describe the encounters. How does Nordstrom handle these situations?
Part 2) What do these encounters reveal about him?
Part 3) How do these encounters change Nordstrom's life? How do the events prior to these encounters influence his behavior during these encounters?
This section contains 1,246 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)