Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Nordstrom cooks for twenty before what?
2. Nordstrom tries to talk to Laura about changing his life and gets what instead?
3. What happens after one of Sonia's friends makes a move on Nordstrom?
4. Nordstrom tells Sonia and her boyfriend, Phillip, to invite who?
5. When do Nordstrom and Laura marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the Texan?
2. What does Cochran do while he recuperates?
3. What does Nordstrom do in the tavern?
4. How does Ludlow feel after allowing the boys to go to war?
5. How does Nordstrom's sexual potency return?
6. How do the boys learn of Samuel's death? How does Tristan react to his death?
7. What does Nordstrom write in his diary?
8. What does Cochran's friend offer to do for him?
9. How does Tristan escape the hospital? What does he do after his escape?
10. What happens after Tibey and Cochran's reconciliation?
Essay Topic 1
Nordstrom has feelings of death and loss.
Part 1) What causes these feelings? How do these feelings affect him?
Part 2) How do these feelings begin to change? What might be causing this change? How do you know this?
Part 3) How do these feelings lead him to dream of being a chef by the sea?
Essay Topic 2
Samuel's death is significant.
Part 1) How does Samuel die? How do his family and friends react? Why do the react this way?
Part 2) Why is his death significant? How does it affect the plot?
Part 3) How different would the story be if Samuel had not died? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Susannah commits suicide.
Part 1) Why does she commit suicide? What foreshadows her suicide? Could her suicide have been prevented? Why or why not?
Part 2) What role does Tristan play in Susannah's suicide? How could he have acted differently to possibly prevent this act?
Part 3) How does Tristan learn of Susannah's death? Why does he learn about it in this way? What does this reveal about Alfred?
Part 4) How does her death affect the other characters and the plot of the story? How might the story have ended if she had not died? Use the text to support your response.
This section contains 1,165 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)