Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Nordstrom cooks for twenty before what?
2. Nordstrom tries to talk to Laura about changing his life and gets what instead?
3. What happens after one of Sonia's friends makes a move on Nordstrom?
4. Nordstrom tells Sonia and her boyfriend, Phillip, to invite who?
5. When do Nordstrom and Laura marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the Texan?
2. What does Cochran do while he recuperates?
3. What does Nordstrom do in the tavern?
4. How does Ludlow feel after allowing the boys to go to war?
5. How does Nordstrom's sexual potency return?
6. How do the boys learn of Samuel's death? How does Tristan react to his death?
7. What does Nordstrom write in his diary?
8. What does Cochran's friend offer to do for him?
9. How does Tristan escape the hospital? What does he do after his escape?
10. What happens after Tibey and Cochran's reconciliation?
Essay Topic 1
Samuel's death is significant.
Part 1) How does Samuel die? How do his family and friends react? Why do the react this way?
Part 2) Why is his death significant? How does it affect the plot?
Part 3) How different would the story be if Samuel had not died? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Susannah and Tristan make destructive decisions.
Part 1) What destructive decisions do each of them make? Why do they make these decisions? What do these decisions reveal about each of these characters?
Part 2) How do events previously mentioned in this story affect the decisions made by Susannah and Tristan?
Part 3) How do these decisions affect the outcome of this story? How do the decisions made by each of these characters affect the other character?
Essay Topic 3
These three stories have been put together in one book.
Part 1) What is a theme of each story? How is this a theme? How is each of these stories relevant today?
Part 2) What do these three stories have in common? Why are they found in the same book?
Part 3) What message does this book send to the reader? What is the purpose of this book?
Part 4) What are your thoughts about this book? How do these stories affect you?
This section contains 1,165 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)