|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sonia tell Nordstrom to get?
2. How does Henry respond when Nordstrom asks him to be a pallbearer?
3. Cochran confesses his affair to whom?
4. Cochran notices the pickup following, but stops worrying when?
5. Why does Tibey think about shooting The Crazy One?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Sonia's friends realize that her father is not just the cook?
2. What does Nordstrom do after most of Sonia's friends go off to a disco?
3. What happens to Cochran and Miryea at the cabin?
4. What happens when Cochran is dying?
5. What happens after Tibey and Cochran's reconciliation?
6. What does Cochran's friend offer to do for him?
7. For what does Cochran prepare? How does this hurt him?
8. What does Cochran do while he recuperates?
9. What does the Aeromexico pilot's brother do for Cochran?
10. How does Nordstrom react to his father's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Susannah commits suicide.
Part 1) Why does she commit suicide? What foreshadows her suicide? Could her suicide have been prevented? Why or why not?
Part 2) What role does Tristan play in Susannah's suicide? How could he have acted differently to possibly prevent this act?
Part 3) How does Tristan learn of Susannah's death? Why does he learn about it in this way? What does this reveal about Alfred?
Part 4) How does her death affect the other characters and the plot of the story? How might the story have ended if she had not died? Use the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
Tristan's response to Samuel's death is surprising.
Part 1) How does Tristan react? Why might he react this way?
Part 2) How do others treat him, because of his reaction? Why?
Part 3) How does Tristan's reaction and feelings about Samuel's death affect him throughout the rest of his life? How does his behavior affect those around him?
Essay Topic 3
Nordstrom's encounters with Berto and Slats are significant.
Part 1) Describe the encounters. How does Nordstrom handle these situations?
Part 2) What do these encounters reveal about him?
Part 3) How do these encounters change Nordstrom's life? How do the events prior to these encounters influence his behavior during these encounters?
This section contains 1,227 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)