|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Susannah get Tristan to do?
(a) Kiss her.
(b) Apologize to her.
(c) Make love to her.
(d) Leave her.
2. A tall black man named Slats and his Italian friend named Berto come in and do what?
(a) Grab Sarah.
(b) Steal from the party goers.
(c) Yell at Nordstrom.
(d) Threaten Laura.
3. When Ludlow finally goes downstairs to dinner, what depresses him?
(a) The sight of the empty dining room.
(b) Being alone.
(c) The sight of his wife sitting alone.
(d) The sight of the servants having nothing to do.
4. At a celebratory dinner, they all watch another party which is rich from what?
(a) Smuggling cigarettes.
(b) Smuggling liquor.
(c) Smuggling opium.
(d) Smuggling cattle.
5. Who does Ludlow insist on tutoring?
(a) His niece, Isabel Two.
(b) His ranch foreman's daughter, Isabel Two.
(c) His daughter, Isabel Two.
(d) His friend, Isabel Two.
Short Answer Questions
1. Each of the people in Nordstrom's life has his own views about Nordstrom's mid-life crisis. Are any of them able to convince him to change his plans?
2. He listens to the radio and longs to do what?
3. Nordstrom adds the next room to his suite and does what?
4. Alfred secretly loves Susannah. When he comes to visit, how does Susannah react to him?
5. Where does Nordstrom want to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ludlow feel after allowing the boys to go to war?
2. How does Tristan escape the hospital? What does he do after his escape?
3. What takes place at the meeting between Nordstrom, Sarah, and Slats?
4. What happens when Tristan comes down with dysentery?
5. How does Tristan play a role in Susannah's suicide?
6. What does Tristan do to two of the Irishmen that are out to kill him?
7. What does Phillip discuss philosophically that seems to upset Nordstrom?
8. What takes place during Sarah and Nordstrom's meeting?
9. How does a woman end up with Samuel's gold pocket watch?
10. What does Nordstrom discuss with his psychiatrist?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)