|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Thanks to Phillip, everyone knows what about Nordstrom?
(a) He has given away all his money and is going on a long trip.
(b) He is getting divorced.
(c) He does not know Sonia very well.
(d) He is moving.
2. What poet does Isabel invite for dinner?
(a) Amy Lowell.
(b) Emily Dickinson.
(c) Ralph Waldo Emerson.
(d) John Ashbery.
3. Why does Susannah's father provide Alfred with an office in Helena?
(a) To become a politician so that Alfred can support his economic interests.
(b) To keep him close to the family.
(c) To keep him away from Susannah.
(d) To help give him some extra income.
4. What habit does Nordstrom disclose?
(a) Staring at the sea.
(c) Being preoccupied with sex.
(d) Dancing alone.
5. Susannah's father, Arthur, comes to Montana for a sporting expedition and buys what as a wedding present?
(a) New stallions.
(b) A herd of horses.
(c) The neighboring ranch.
(d) A house in town.
Short Answer Questions
1. The brothers and their father's Native American friend stop at a tavern where Tristan beats the owner for what reason?
2. Nordstrom hits Slats who replies with what?
3. Nordstrom's financial adviser insists that Nordstrom see who?
4. What does Tristan's ship, as its captain, escape?
5. Each of the people in Nordstrom's life has his own views about Nordstrom's mid-life crisis. Are any of them able to convince him to change his plans?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tristan do during the six years he spends at sea?
2. Why is Susannah feeling better in the new house in Helena?
3. What does Nordstrom write in his diary?
4. What are the consequences for Tristan's beating of the officer?
5. How does Isabel Two die?
6. What takes place directly after Sonia's graduation?
7. What does Phillip discuss philosophically that seems to upset Nordstrom?
8. What does Nordstrom do with his money?
9. How does Tristan escape the hospital? What does he do after his escape?
10. Why does Tristan marry Susannah? How does Susannah seem to feel about him? How do you know this?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)