|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While Sarah is in the bathroom, what does Nordstrom do?
(a) He runs out of the hotel room.
(b) He looks out the window.
(c) He calls the police.
(d) He takes a gun from her purse and puts it under his mattress.
2. What does the grief of Samuel's death do to Ludlow?
(a) It makes him ill.
(b) It almost kills him.
(c) It depresses him.
(d) It ages him overnight.
3. What happens when Tristan tries to calm Susannah?
(a) He ends up upsetting her.
(b) He ends up worrying her.
(c) He ends up angering her.
(d) He ends up giving her false hope again.
4. Nordstrom goes to the ceremony and reception for Sonia's college graduation and is somehow surprised about what?
(a) To see so many of Sonia's friends.
(b) To see Laura.
(c) Not knowing anyone.
(d) Being sad at the party.
5. How does Alfred end up in the hospital?
(a) He injures his knee and back.
(b) He faints.
(c) He is shot.
(d) He catches influenza.
6. Susannah tells Tristan that she plans to do what?
(a) Kill Alfred.
(b) Kill him.
(c) Kill herself.
(d) Run away.
7. Why does Alfred buy a house in Helena?
(a) He hopes Susannah will do better helping Tristan with his children.
(b) He hopes Susannah will get over Tristan.
(c) He hopes Susannah will fall in love with Tristan.
(d) He hopes to impress Susannah.
8. In the morning, Nordstrom gets ready to meet with Sarah and adds what to his boot?
(a) A screw driver.
(b) A gun.
(c) A straight razor.
(d) A cell phone.
9. Tristan comes down with dysentery in dangerous seas and barely escapes with both his life and the ship. His fevers make him delirious. He stands on the bowspirit and hallucinates what?
(a) That he sees both Samuel and Susannah.
(b) That he sees Isabel Two.
(c) That he sees Susannah.
(d) That he sees his mother and brothers.
10. In the summer, Tristan makes imaginary plans with Susannah, but only wants what?
(a) Her to have a child to replace Samuel.
(b) To be alone.
(c) Her to leave him alone.
(d) To have Samuel return.
11. After making the ivory delivery, what does Tristan agree to transport to San Francisco?
12. Why is Susannah better?
(a) Only because Tristan's letter gives her false hope.
(b) She has been put on strong medication.
(c) Tristan says he loves her.
(d) She is near Alfred.
13. A tall black man named Slats and his Italian friend named Berto come in and do what?
(a) Grab Sarah.
(b) Steal from the party goers.
(c) Threaten Laura.
(d) Yell at Nordstrom.
14. Why does the British officer release the ship?
(a) He does not want Tristan to kill him.
(b) He has no reason to keep it.
(c) Tristan requests it.
(d) As a reward for the delivery.
15. What does Nordstrom ask Phillip's friend, the Sephard, to arrange?
(a) An engagement party for Sonia.
(b) A dinner for Laura.
(c) A concert for Sonia.
(d) A graduation party for Sonia.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tristan learn when he visits Alfred in the hospital?
2. Why do the brothers ride off to Canada?
3. When Sarah returns, what does she present to Nordstrom?
4. Nordstrom tells the psychiatrist that he wants to be like who?
5. About what does Isabel think regarding one of her sons?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)