|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Alfred end up in the hospital?
(a) He is shot.
(b) He faints.
(c) He catches influenza.
(d) He injures his knee and back.
2. Each of the people in Nordstrom's life has his own views about Nordstrom's mid-life crisis. Are any of them able to convince him to change his plans?
(a) Only at first.
3. What does the company plan for Nordstrom's leaving?
(a) A dinner.
(b) A party.
(c) A concert.
(d) A dance.
4. What does Susannah get Tristan to do?
(a) Apologize to her.
(b) Leave her.
(c) Kiss her.
(d) Make love to her.
5. How are Tristan and Susannah caught embracing?
(a) Alfred has someone following her.
(b) They embrace in front of Alfred.
(c) Susannah embraces Tristan in public.
(d) Alfred has gone looking for Tristan.
6. Nordstrom takes Sonia and Philip to see who?
7. Nordstrom hits Slats who replies with what?
(a) A punch in the face.
(b) A gun pointed in Norstrom's face.
(c) A death threat.
(d) A glare.
8. Where does Nordstrom want to be?
(a) Cooking in a restaurant by the ocean.
(b) With Laura again.
(c) Sitting on a beach chair staring at the ocean.
(d) On vacation with Sonia.
9. How does Sarah respond when Nordstrom makes a counter offer?
(a) She is shocked.
(b) She is confused.
(c) She is scared.
(d) She is angry.
10. Why is Susannah better?
(a) She is near Alfred.
(b) She has been put on strong medication.
(c) Tristan says he loves her.
(d) Only because Tristan's letter gives her false hope.
11. What poet does Isabel invite for dinner?
(a) Amy Lowell.
(b) John Ashbery.
(c) Ralph Waldo Emerson.
(d) Emily Dickinson.
12. Nordstrom walks from Brookline to Cambridge for what?
(a) To go to a dance concert.
(b) His appointment with the psychiatrist.
(c) To meet his daughter.
(d) To see a friend.
13. Who does Ludlow insist on tutoring?
(a) His niece, Isabel Two.
(b) His friend, Isabel Two.
(c) His ranch foreman's daughter, Isabel Two.
(d) His daughter, Isabel Two.
14. Susannah tells Tristan that she plans to do what?
(a) Run away.
(b) Kill herself.
(c) Kill him.
(d) Kill Alfred.
15. When the psychiatrist asks what interests him, how does Nordstrom answer?
(a) He wants to look things over like his father did.
(b) He wants to be a good father like his own father.
(c) He is interested in getting to know his daughter.
(d) He wants to be a cook.
Short Answer Questions
1. The honyocker's daughter leaves with what?
2. In the morning, Nordstrom gets ready to meet with Sarah and adds what to his boot?
3. Tristan directs his grief into what?
4. Why does Susannah's father provide Alfred with an office in Helena?
5. Nordstrom has insomnia and dances without music for what reason?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)