|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Sarah respond when Nordstrom makes a counter offer?
(a) She is shocked.
(b) She is angry.
(c) She is confused.
(d) She is scared.
2. Nordstrom tells the psychiatrist that he wants to be like who?
(a) Peter Pan.
(b) Martin Luther.
(c) Robin Hood.
(d) King Arthur.
3. Nordstrom spends the night doing what?
(a) Talking to his secretary.
(b) Playing poker with men from the shipping department.
(c) Drinking alone.
(d) Dancing in the dark.
4. Tristan directs his grief into what?
(a) The effort of breaking a difficult young stallion.
(b) The repairs of the farmhouse.
(c) His marriage to Susannah.
5. What does Tristan do after he rushes to find Samuel?
(a) He sends Samuel back to Harvard.
(b) He takes Samuel's body home.
(c) He cuts out his heart.
(d) He cannot find Samuel.
6. How does Alfred end up in the hospital?
(a) He faints.
(b) He catches influenza.
(c) He is shot.
(d) He injures his knee and back.
7. Tristan and Susannah marry before Samuel's funeral against whose wishes?
(a) His own wishes.
(b) His father's wishes.
(c) His mother's wishes.
(d) Her mother's wishes.
8. What habit does Nordstrom disclose?
(a) Dancing alone.
(b) Staring at the sea.
(d) Being preoccupied with sex.
9. In the morning, Nordstrom gets ready to meet with Sarah and adds what to his boot?
(a) A cell phone.
(b) A gun.
(c) A straight razor.
(d) A screw driver.
10. Why do the brothers ride off to Canada?
(a) To escape the war.
(b) To join the Great War.
(c) To go hunting.
(d) To visit relatives.
11. What does Tristan's ship, as its captain, escape?
(a) An American cruise ship.
(b) A British war ship.
(c) A German destroyer.
(d) A French battle ship.
12. When the psychiatrist asks what interests him, how does Nordstrom answer?
(a) He wants to look things over like his father did.
(b) He wants to be a cook.
(c) He is interested in getting to know his daughter.
(d) He wants to be a good father like his own father.
13. Why does the British officer release the ship?
(a) He does not want Tristan to kill him.
(b) Tristan requests it.
(c) As a reward for the delivery.
(d) He has no reason to keep it.
14. Each of the people in Nordstrom's life has his own views about Nordstrom's mid-life crisis. Are any of them able to convince him to change his plans?
(a) Only at first.
15. They stop for the night at a homesteader's home where Samuel does what?
(a) Becomes friends with the homesteader.
(b) Helps with the farming.
(c) Meets his future wife.
(d) Takes an interest in the man's daughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Susannah feel about Tristan leaving?
2. Tristan finally tells Susannah of his plans to meet his grandfather where?
3. What does the grief of Samuel's death do to Ludlow?
4. One Stab accompanies Tristan to the train station and gives Tristan what, which Tristan keeps until his death at age eighty-four?
5. Nordstrom meets with Sonia and the broker and convinces them of his convictions by giving money to who?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)