|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tristan's ship, as its captain, escape?
(a) A French battle ship.
(b) A British war ship.
(c) A German destroyer.
(d) An American cruise ship.
2. What does Nordstrom ask Phillip's friend, the Sephard, to arrange?
(a) A dinner for Laura.
(b) A concert for Sonia.
(c) A graduation party for Sonia.
(d) An engagement party for Sonia.
3. What does Tristan learn when he visits Alfred in the hospital?
(a) Samuel married the homesteader's daughter.
(b) Samuel has died.
(c) Samuel has returned home.
(d) Samuel is missing.
4. The brothers' father, Ludlow, regrets what?
(a) Letting his sons go to war instead of sending them back to Harvard.
(b) Letting Samuel go to war instead of sending him back to Harvard.
(c) Letting his Native American friend risk his life.
(d) Letting his sons go hunting without him.
5. Why do the brothers ride off to Canada?
(a) To visit relatives.
(b) To go hunting.
(c) To escape the war.
(d) To join the Great War.
6. What does Tristan do after he rushes to find Samuel?
(a) He takes Samuel's body home.
(b) He sends Samuel back to Harvard.
(c) He cuts out his heart.
(d) He cannot find Samuel.
7. The brothers and their father's Native American friend stop at a tavern where Tristan beats the owner for what reason?
(a) His prejudice against One Stab.
(b) His prejudice against One Heart.
(c) His prejudice against Crazy Horse.
(d) His prejudice against Sitting Bull.
8. Tristan finally tells Susannah of his plans to meet his grandfather where?
(a) In Jamaica.
(b) In Haiti.
(c) In Puerto Rico.
(d) In Havana.
9. He listens to the radio and longs to do what?
(a) Go to the Caribbean.
(c) Be with his wife.
(d) See his daughter.
10. Nordstrom goes to the ceremony and reception for Sonia's college graduation and is somehow surprised about what?
(a) Being sad at the party.
(b) To see so many of Sonia's friends.
(c) Not knowing anyone.
(d) To see Laura.
11. Just after the stock market crash, Tristan, Isabel Two, Decker, and two ranch hands make a trip to deliver what?
12. How does Tristan complete the mission?
(a) With much difficulty.
(b) With some difficulty.
(c) Without too much difficulty.
13. How does Alfred end up in the hospital?
(a) He faints.
(b) He is shot.
(c) He catches influenza.
(d) He injures his knee and back.
14. Their father's Cheyenne friend, ____________, guides the brothers through the Montana wilderness.
(a) One Stab.
(b) Sitting Bull.
(c) Crazy Horse.
(d) One Heart.
15. What habit does Nordstrom disclose?
(a) Dancing alone.
(b) Being preoccupied with sex.
(d) Staring at the sea.
Short Answer Questions
1. After making the ivory delivery, what does Tristan agree to transport to San Francisco?
2. In the morning, Nordstrom gets ready to meet with Sarah and adds what to his boot?
3. Nordstrom's secretary, Ms. Dietrich, has to leave after getting too drunk, ending what plans?
4. Why does the British officer release the ship?
5. Each of the people in Nordstrom's life has his own views about Nordstrom's mid-life crisis. Are any of them able to convince him to change his plans?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)