|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Orgota religion's viewpoint on good and evil?
2. What does Estraven do with the letter he writes to his son, and why?
3. In Chapter 20, who is the first off the Star Ship after it lands?
4. When Estraven leaves Mishnory under an assumed name and with forged papers, where does he wind up?
5. After Genly is captured and imprisoned in a work camp, what happens to him every five days and what is the consequence?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is weather so important, both metaphorically, and literally, as explained in "The Left Hand of Darkness?"
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 10, Slose wants to make a religion out of Genly. What led him to this odd request, and how would this have benefited, or harmed, both Genly Ai and Orgoreyn?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 14, Genly's prejudice against the Gethenians is plainly apparent. How does this prejudice hamper his mission to convince Gethen to become part of the Ekumen of Known Worlds? Please provide examples from the novel that illustrate his prejudice, and that show how his prejudice keeps interfering with the accomplishment of his mission.
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)