|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Estraven and Genly do when they arrive at the Bay of Guthen?
2. In Earth years, Genly is younger than 30. How old is he in Winter years?
3. Did Genly accomplish, in the end, his mission to incorporate Winter into the Ekumen, according to Chapter 20?
4. After Estraven's death at the end of Chapter 19, what does Chapter 20 tell us happens to Genly?
5. Who is known as the Center of Time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Think back on the various dichotomies presented in "The Left Hand of Darkness," such as Gethenian's dual sexuality; the coldness of the landscape vs. the warmth of Genly and Estraven's tent; betrayal and love, etc. How do these tie into the theme of light and darkness, and how do they tie into the title of the book, which is part of a Gethenian poem that states light is the left hand of darkness and darkness is the right hand of light? Additionally, what is the poem just quoted trying to say? What does it mean for light to be the left hand of darkness and darkness the right hand of light?
Essay Topic 2
Much of Chapter 18, which bears strong themes of isolation, revolves around Genly and Estraven in their tent. Please explain whether or not you believe the tent is an illustration of, or a haven from, the isolation and why. Use passages from the novel (not just Chapter 18) to back up your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the different viewpoints concerning good and evil expressed by the Orgota religion, Yomesh, and the Karhidish religion, Handdara, affect how each country treats Genly Ai, at least on the surface.
This section contains 1,449 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)