|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what day of their trip do Genly and Estraven eventually arrive in Karhide?
2. What role does Estraven tell Genly that King Argaven will be able to play with Orgota once he receives word of Genly's capture?
3. In Chapter 20, who is the first off the Star Ship after it lands?
4. What does Estraven's social status change to after he receives the money from Genly?
5. How many of the sleepers did Edondurath kill after he woke up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 14, Genly's prejudice against the Gethenians is plainly apparent. How does this prejudice hamper his mission to convince Gethen to become part of the Ekumen of Known Worlds? Please provide examples from the novel that illustrate his prejudice, and that show how his prejudice keeps interfering with the accomplishment of his mission.
Essay Topic 2
Near the end of Chapter 5, Faxe tells Genly that the "uncertainty of life makes life possible." Think about what this means, and explain how the uncertainty of life makes life possible. Use examples from the novel, as well as an uncertain time in your own life, as an example.
Essay Topic 3
Think about the way Genly and other political prisoners are treated, how they are transported, how they are fed, and how--as well as where--they are housed. What real-life groups of people who behaved and were treated similarly, during what period of history, do the Orgota and their prisoners resemble? In your response, make sure you quote passages from Chapter 13 and show how they parallel the real-life event or events you choose to discuss.
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)