|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 18, Genly and Estraven have gone through much of the provisions they started with. What do we learn that Genly and Estraven are now relying on eating for nourishment?
2. What was the Gobrin Ice Plateau like, according to Genly's notes?
3. Why, after Estraven's successful pesthry hunt, does it become more difficult for him and Genly to travel for the next several days?
4. By the end of Chapter 16, what has happened to Estraven?
5. How does Estraven acquire the initial supplies and food for the winter journey?
Essay Topic 1
Much of Chapter 18, which bears strong themes of isolation, revolves around Genly and Estraven in their tent. Please explain whether or not you believe the tent is an illustration of, or a haven from, the isolation and why. Use passages from the novel (not just Chapter 18) to back up your statements.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 14, Genly's prejudice against the Gethenians is plainly apparent. How does this prejudice hamper his mission to convince Gethen to become part of the Ekumen of Known Worlds? Please provide examples from the novel that illustrate his prejudice, and that show how his prejudice keeps interfering with the accomplishment of his mission.
Essay Topic 3
Was it a necessary or a needless thing for Estraven to allow Tibe's men to kill him? Why or why not? Did Estraven allow his death to happen in order to protect Genly, or did he commit suicide to avoid deportation to Orgoreyn? Please support your answers with specific references to the text.
This section contains 1,486 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)