|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens during Estraven and Genly's descent of Mount Dremegole?
2. After Estraven's death at the end of Chapter 19, what does Chapter 20 tell us happens to Genly?
3. In his continued arrogance, what does Genly refer to himself as, in comparison with Estraven?
4. What does Genly do in Chapter 19 that he would not allow himself to do in Chapter 16?
5. How does Estraven blackmail Shusgis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 8, Genly Ai's naїveté is once again painfully evident, as he assumes the people of Orgoreyn are more advanced and civilized than the Karhidites. What causes Genly to come to this conclusion, and what, based on what you read in Chapter 8, is the truth about Orgoreyn? Is it indeed more advanced and civilized than Karhide? Use specific examples from Chapter 8, and previous chapters if applicable, to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Once again, Genly is asked in Chapter 16 (this time by Estraven) about gender distinction in humans. Genly explains that gender on Earth determines one's activities, outlooks, ethics, manners, and clothing. It's clear that the issue still remains somewhat of a mystery to Estraven, even after Genly explains it, if not also to Genly.
Based on your personal experiences, please explain how, if you were Genly, you would expand upon his explanations of how gender determines one's activities, outlooks, ethics, manners, and clothing. Use the answers he gives in not only Chapter 16 but elsewhere in the novel where others ask him about this, and expand upon them to better explain the concept of gender distinction to Estraven.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 17, it is once again stated that death is the only constant in life and that every child has a shadow following it.
1) Do you agree with the idea that death is the only constant in life? Why or why not? Whichever your position, back it up with quotes from or references to the novel.
2) What does "every child has a shadow following it" mean? What is the shadow? Support your statement with excerpts from the novel.
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)