|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By the end of Chapter 16, how many total miles since leaving their first camp have Estraven and Genly covered?
2. After Genly is captured and imprisoned in a work camp, what happens to him every five days and what is the consequence?
3. In Chapter 18, Genly and Estraven have gone through much of the provisions they started with. What do we learn that Genly and Estraven are now relying on eating for nourishment?
4. As Chapter 15 opens, where do Genly and Estraven decide to hide for the winter?
5. During the blizzard, what Earth game does Genly teach Estraven to play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Think back on the various dichotomies presented in "The Left Hand of Darkness," such as Gethenian's dual sexuality; the coldness of the landscape vs. the warmth of Genly and Estraven's tent; betrayal and love, etc. How do these tie into the theme of light and darkness, and how do they tie into the title of the book, which is part of a Gethenian poem that states light is the left hand of darkness and darkness is the right hand of light? Additionally, what is the poem just quoted trying to say? What does it mean for light to be the left hand of darkness and darkness the right hand of light?
Essay Topic 2
Chapter 9 contains an element of mystery regarding Estraven I, as well as the origins of Estraven II and the identity of the man who left Estraven II with the warder at Estre Gate. In your opinion, did Estraven I really die? Who are the parents of Estraven II? What is the identity of the man who left Estraven II with the warder? Back up your opinion with proof from Chapter 9.
Essay Topic 3
Was it a necessary or a needless thing for Estraven to allow Tibe's men to kill him? Why or why not? Did Estraven allow his death to happen in order to protect Genly, or did he commit suicide to avoid deportation to Orgoreyn? Please support your answers with specific references to the text.
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)