|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Karhidish religion's viewpoint on good and evil?
2. By the end of Chapter 16, how many total miles since leaving their first camp have Estraven and Genly covered?
3. What does Estraven do with the letter he writes to his son, and why?
4. As Chapter 15 opens, where do Genly and Estraven decide to hide for the winter?
5. When Estraven finishes calculating the rations for their winter journey, what parameters does he establish?
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 17, it is once again stated that death is the only constant in life and that every child has a shadow following it.
1) Do you agree with the idea that death is the only constant in life? Why or why not? Whichever your position, back it up with quotes from or references to the novel.
2) What does "every child has a shadow following it" mean? What is the shadow? Support your statement with excerpts from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Chapter 7 helps us see that Genly's pride is making development of a relationship and negotiations with the Gethenians difficult. Please explain, in your own words, how his pride is hurting his efforts. Use examples from previous chapters to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the different viewpoints concerning good and evil expressed by the Orgota religion, Yomesh, and the Karhidish religion, Handdara, affect how each country treats Genly Ai, at least on the surface.
This section contains 1,505 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)