|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens in Orgoreyn after Agraven confronts the Commensals about what they did to Genly?
2. How does Estraven acquire the initial supplies and food for the winter journey?
3. What does Estraven do with the letter he writes to his son, and why?
4. Whom does Estraven believe the people of Orgoreyn fear?
5. In Chapter 18, Genly and Estraven have gone through much of the provisions they started with. What do we learn that Genly and Estraven are now relying on eating for nourishment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Think about the way Genly and other political prisoners are treated, how they are transported, how they are fed, and how--as well as where--they are housed. What real-life groups of people who behaved and were treated similarly, during what period of history, do the Orgota and their prisoners resemble? In your response, make sure you quote passages from Chapter 13 and show how they parallel the real-life event or events you choose to discuss.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast kemmering and love, as explained in "The Left Hand of Darkness," with marriage and love in today's society.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 10, Slose wants to make a religion out of Genly. What led him to this odd request, and how would this have benefited, or harmed, both Genly Ai and Orgoreyn?
This section contains 336 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)