|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Genly's meeting with Agraven, where is the Star Ship given clearance to land?
2. In the beginning, how were the hills and valleys made?
3. Who agrees to take a message on Estraven's behalf to King Argaven regarding what has happened to Genly Ai?
4. Why, after Estraven's successful pesthry hunt, does it become more difficult for him and Genly to travel for the next several days?
5. When Estraven finishes calculating the rations for their winter journey, what parameters does he establish?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is weather so important, both metaphorically, and literally, as explained in "The Left Hand of Darkness?"
Essay Topic 2
Chapter 9 contains an element of mystery regarding Estraven I, as well as the origins of Estraven II and the identity of the man who left Estraven II with the warder at Estre Gate. In your opinion, did Estraven I really die? Who are the parents of Estraven II? What is the identity of the man who left Estraven II with the warder? Back up your opinion with proof from Chapter 9.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 8, Genly Ai's naїveté is once again painfully evident, as he assumes the people of Orgoreyn are more advanced and civilized than the Karhidites. What causes Genly to come to this conclusion, and what, based on what you read in Chapter 8, is the truth about Orgoreyn? Is it indeed more advanced and civilized than Karhide? Use specific examples from Chapter 8, and previous chapters if applicable, to support your answer.
This section contains 1,538 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)