|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Estraven's death at the end of Chapter 19, what does Chapter 20 tell us happens to Genly?
2. What was the Gobrin Ice Plateau like, according to Genly's notes?
3. According to the Orgota creation myth, what will happen to the world at its end?
4. During his stay at the farm where Genly is being held, Estraven goes into a state of increased strength called:
5. In his continued arrogance, what does Genly refer to himself as, in comparison with Estraven?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is weather so important, both metaphorically, and literally, as explained in "The Left Hand of Darkness?"
Essay Topic 2
Think about the way Genly and other political prisoners are treated, how they are transported, how they are fed, and how--as well as where--they are housed. What real-life groups of people who behaved and were treated similarly, during what period of history, do the Orgota and their prisoners resemble? In your response, make sure you quote passages from Chapter 13 and show how they parallel the real-life event or events you choose to discuss.
Essay Topic 3
Think back on the various dichotomies presented in "The Left Hand of Darkness," such as Gethenian's dual sexuality; the coldness of the landscape vs. the warmth of Genly and Estraven's tent; betrayal and love, etc. How do these tie into the theme of light and darkness, and how do they tie into the title of the book, which is part of a Gethenian poem that states light is the left hand of darkness and darkness is the right hand of light? Additionally, what is the poem just quoted trying to say? What does it mean for light to be the left hand of darkness and darkness the right hand of light?
This section contains 1,494 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)