|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Estraven believe the people of Orgoreyn fear?
2. What does Estraven's social status change to after he receives the money from Genly?
3. What was the Gobrin Ice Plateau like, according to Genly's notes?
4. What role does Estraven tell Genly that King Argaven will be able to play with Orgota once he receives word of Genly's capture?
5. At one point, Genly finds himself alone in the dormitory with a dying inmate named Asra. What does Genly tell Asra about he people on his (Genly's) planet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chapter 7 helps us see that Genly's pride is making development of a relationship and negotiations with the Gethenians difficult. Please explain, in your own words, how his pride is hurting his efforts. Use examples from previous chapters to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Near the end of Chapter 5, Faxe tells Genly that the "uncertainty of life makes life possible." Think about what this means, and explain how the uncertainty of life makes life possible. Use examples from the novel, as well as an uncertain time in your own life, as an example.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 10, Slose wants to make a religion out of Genly. What led him to this odd request, and how would this have benefited, or harmed, both Genly Ai and Orgoreyn?
This section contains 319 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)