|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Estraven's social status change to after he receives the money from Genly?
2. After Estraven's death at the end of Chapter 19, what does Chapter 20 tell us happens to Genly?
3. What happens to Genly shortly after Estraven reappears in Chapter 11 to warn him?
4. What is the Karhidish religion's viewpoint on good and evil?
5. How does Estraven acquire the initial supplies and food for the winter journey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chapter 7 helps us see that Genly's pride is making development of a relationship and negotiations with the Gethenians difficult. Please explain, in your own words, how his pride is hurting his efforts. Use examples from previous chapters to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Near the end of Chapter 5, Faxe tells Genly that the "uncertainty of life makes life possible." Think about what this means, and explain how the uncertainty of life makes life possible. Use examples from the novel, as well as an uncertain time in your own life, as an example.
Essay Topic 3
How does Estraven continue to work to help Genly see the truth of what he is telling him, as well as to convince Genly that Estraven is on his side? Back your statements up with excerpts from the novel.
This section contains 341 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)