|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Genly during the first week of his arrest?
2. What is the Karhidish religion's viewpoint on good and evil?
3. In Chapter 20, who is the first off the Star Ship after it lands?
4. As Chapter 14 opens, what realization has Estraven come to?
5. When Estraven finishes calculating the rations for their winter journey, what parameters does he establish?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 14, Genly's prejudice against the Gethenians is plainly apparent. How does this prejudice hamper his mission to convince Gethen to become part of the Ekumen of Known Worlds? Please provide examples from the novel that illustrate his prejudice, and that show how his prejudice keeps interfering with the accomplishment of his mission.
Essay Topic 2
Why is weather so important, both metaphorically, and literally, as explained in "The Left Hand of Darkness?"
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the different viewpoints concerning good and evil expressed by the Orgota religion, Yomesh, and the Karhidish religion, Handdara, affect how each country treats Genly Ai, at least on the surface.
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)