|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Estraven leaves Mishnory under an assumed name and with forged papers, where does he wind up?
2. When Genly and other prisoners are taken from their first detention facility, what is their destination?
3. Why, after Estraven's successful pesthry hunt, does it become more difficult for him and Genly to travel for the next several days?
4. What does Estraven do with the letter he writes to his son, and why?
5. What does Estraven's social status change to after he receives the money from Genly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chapter 7 helps us see that Genly's pride is making development of a relationship and negotiations with the Gethenians difficult. Please explain, in your own words, how his pride is hurting his efforts. Use examples from previous chapters to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast kemmering and love, as explained in "The Left Hand of Darkness," with marriage and love in today's society.
Essay Topic 3
Think back on the various dichotomies presented in "The Left Hand of Darkness," such as Gethenian's dual sexuality; the coldness of the landscape vs. the warmth of Genly and Estraven's tent; betrayal and love, etc. How do these tie into the theme of light and darkness, and how do they tie into the title of the book, which is part of a Gethenian poem that states light is the left hand of darkness and darkness is the right hand of light? Additionally, what is the poem just quoted trying to say? What does it mean for light to be the left hand of darkness and darkness the right hand of light?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)