Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Karhidish religion's viewpoint on good and evil?
2. By the end of Chapter 16, how many total miles since leaving their first camp have Estraven and Genly covered?
3. What does Estraven do with the letter he writes to his son, and why?
4. As Chapter 15 opens, where do Genly and Estraven decide to hide for the winter?
5. When Estraven finishes calculating the rations for their winter journey, what parameters does he establish?
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 14, Genly's prejudice against the Gethenians is plainly apparent. How does this prejudice hamper his mission to convince Gethen to become part of the Ekumen of Known Worlds? Please provide examples from the novel that illustrate his prejudice, and that show how his prejudice keeps interfering with the accomplishment of his mission.
Essay Topic 2
Think about the way Genly and other political prisoners are treated, how they are transported, how they are fed, and how--as well as where--they are housed. What real-life groups of people who behaved and were treated similarly, during what period of history, do the Orgota and their prisoners resemble? In your response, make sure you quote passages from Chapter 13 and show how they parallel the real-life event or events you choose to discuss.
Essay Topic 3
Why is weather so important, both metaphorically, and literally, as explained in "The Left Hand of Darkness?"
This section contains 1,505 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)