|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Genly comes to live in Mishnory, what does Estraven find strange about how the local government is handling the presence of a First Mobile in their town?
2. According to the Orgota creation myth, what will happen to the world at its end?
3. What is the Karhidish religion's viewpoint on good and evil?
4. What happens when Genly speaks before the Thirty-Three?
5. In Chapter 20, who is the first off the Star Ship after it lands?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how the different viewpoints concerning good and evil expressed by the Orgota religion, Yomesh, and the Karhidish religion, Handdara, affect how each country treats Genly Ai, at least on the surface.
Essay Topic 2
Please describe Lord Berosty's obsession and what it prevents him from doing, as well as Genly Ai's obsession and what it prevents him from doing. Explain the parallels that can be drawn between the two men in regards to their respective obsessions.
Essay Topic 3
Think about the way Genly and other political prisoners are treated, how they are transported, how they are fed, and how--as well as where--they are housed. What real-life groups of people who behaved and were treated similarly, during what period of history, do the Orgota and their prisoners resemble? In your response, make sure you quote passages from Chapter 13 and show how they parallel the real-life event or events you choose to discuss.
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)