|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Around the time of the earthquake, what does Estraven notice that Genly is repressing himself from doing?
2. What does Genly do in Chapter 19 that he would not allow himself to do in Chapter 16?
3. Whom does Estraven believe the people of Orgoreyn fear?
4. What was the Gobrin Ice Plateau like, according to Genly's notes?
5. What does Chapter 17 say there was in the beginning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 17, it is once again stated that death is the only constant in life and that every child has a shadow following it.
1) Do you agree with the idea that death is the only constant in life? Why or why not? Whichever your position, back it up with quotes from or references to the novel.
2) What does "every child has a shadow following it" mean? What is the shadow? Support your statement with excerpts from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Chapter 9 contains an element of mystery regarding Estraven I, as well as the origins of Estraven II and the identity of the man who left Estraven II with the warder at Estre Gate. In your opinion, did Estraven I really die? Who are the parents of Estraven II? What is the identity of the man who left Estraven II with the warder? Back up your opinion with proof from Chapter 9.
Essay Topic 3
Was it a necessary or a needless thing for Estraven to allow Tibe's men to kill him? Why or why not? Did Estraven allow his death to happen in order to protect Genly, or did he commit suicide to avoid deportation to Orgoreyn? Please support your answers with specific references to the text.
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)