|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Genly and Estraven come out of Tarrenpeth Forest, a few days into their journey, what does Estraven use his previously-acquired hunting skills to trap?
2. How does Estraven succeed in freeing Genly from his captivity?
3. What is the name of the first Karhidish village to which Genly and Estraven come?
4. What happens to Genly shortly after Estraven reappears in Chapter 11 to warn him?
5. What type of prisoner is Genly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you believe that the King chose to ask the Prime World, Hain, the question, "What makes a man a traitor?" Back up your opinion with passages from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Think about Estraven's statement regarding patriotism, "What is love of one's country; is it hate of one's uncountry? Then it's not a good thing." How do the inhabitants of Orgoreyn, and those of Karhide, show their patriotism for their respective countries? Back your statements up with excerpts from the novel, then compare and contrast both Orgoreyn and Karhide's expressions of patriotism with how patriotism is expressed and displayed in your own country. What do you think is good about how Orgoreyn and Karhide express their patriotism that perhaps should be adopted in your country, and what about how patriotism is expressed in your country should be adopted by Orgoreyn and Karhide (if that were possible)?
Essay Topic 3
Near the end of Chapter 5, Faxe tells Genly that the "uncertainty of life makes life possible." Think about what this means, and explain how the uncertainty of life makes life possible. Use examples from the novel, as well as an uncertain time in your own life, as an example.
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)