|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Genly's journey to Rer, which is described in Chapter 5, take?
2. What does Estraven do once he learns of his exile?
3. What does Lord Berosty do after receiving his Foretelling?
4. What is the length of the Gethenians' sexual cycle?
5. What is the proclamation made just before Genly is taken in to see the king?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is the information presented in Chapter 7 presented as fact, or as the investigator's opinion?
2. What does Genly say to the Commensals that he never mentioned to King Argaven?
3. Why is the Shath Domain, Getheren's homeland, experiencing poverty and widespread illness near the end of Chapter 2?
4. What does Genly do during the time it takes him to journey to the border between Karhide and Orgoreyn? How is he treated during his travels?
5. What does Chapter 3 reveal to us about Genly's nature?
6. When Getheren 'took back his name and shadow,' what effect did it have on Shath and why?
7. In chapter 16, why does Estraven ignore Genly while he is in kemmer?
8. What is kemmering?
9. Why does Estraven enter dothe after he arrives at the farm where Genly is being held?
10. What does Argaven do when he learns of Genly's whereabouts in Chapter 20?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Think about the way Genly and other political prisoners are treated, how they are transported, how they are fed, and how--as well as where--they are housed. What real-life groups of people who behaved and were treated similarly, during what period of history, do the Orgota and their prisoners resemble? In your response, make sure you quote passages from Chapter 13 and show how they parallel the real-life event or events you choose to discuss.
Essay Topic 2
Why do you believe that the King chose to ask the Prime World, Hain, the question, "What makes a man a traitor?" Back up your opinion with passages from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Chapter 9 contains an element of mystery regarding Estraven I, as well as the origins of Estraven II and the identity of the man who left Estraven II with the warder at Estre Gate. In your opinion, did Estraven I really die? Who are the parents of Estraven II? What is the identity of the man who left Estraven II with the warder? Back up your opinion with proof from Chapter 9.
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)