|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the mysterious man give the warder at Estre Gate?
2. What is the result of Genly's meeting with the king?
3. Where does Estraven find employment in his new home?
4. Which picture offends the king when Genly shows it to him?
5. Why must Estraven escape on foot?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of the relationship between Estraven and Tibe, and why?
2. How are Genly and Estraven's sense of personal responsibility for their fellow man different?
3. What is the only question that Faxe tells Genly can really be answered?
4. After the reception for Genly is called off, what is the advice Estraven gives to him?
5. In chapter 16, why does Estraven ignore Genly while he is in kemmer?
6. What behavior exhibited by Genly in chapter 19 when he goes into town to make a transmission to the Star Ship, shows that he has grown in his ability to be patient?
7. In Chapter 19, how is betrayal portrayed?
8. What is different about the love in the fable told in Chapter 9?
9. What are the primary themes of Chapter 3?
10. What does Commissioner Shusgis do that is so surprising to Genly? Why does it surprise him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please describe Lord Berosty's obsession and what it prevents him from doing, as well as Genly Ai's obsession and what it prevents him from doing. Explain the parallels that can be drawn between the two men in regards to their respective obsessions.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast kemmering and love, as explained in "The Left Hand of Darkness," with marriage and love in today's society.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 10, Slose wants to make a religion out of Genly. What led him to this odd request, and how would this have benefited, or harmed, both Genly Ai and Orgoreyn?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)