|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Estraven when he tries to leave Kuseben by boat?
2. What does Genly ask the Foretellers?
3. What is the nineteenth day of the month known as?
4. Who finds Getheren on the ninth day after he leaves his homeland?
5. How far is Rer from Karhide?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why, in Chapter 15, are Genly and Estraven still calling each other by their last names (respectively, Ai and Therem)?
2. What does Sorve, Estraven's son, ask Genly to tell him about?
3. In Chapter 18, what effect does Genly say that Estraven's being in kemmer hadson him?
4. What does the story in Chapter 9 foreshadow?
5. Why is Genly's decision to take money to Estraven on Ashe's behalf significant?
6. What does the answer given to Genly by the Foretellers foreshadow?
7. How does Chapter 7 tie into Genly's story?
8. What are the primary themes of Chapter 3?
9. Why does the Lord of Estre decide to raise the baby that was given to the warder as a son of the hearth?
10. What is kemmering?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Near the end of Chapter 5, Faxe tells Genly that the "uncertainty of life makes life possible." Think about what this means, and explain how the uncertainty of life makes life possible. Use examples from the novel, as well as an uncertain time in your own life, as an example.
Essay Topic 2
Chapter 9 contains an element of mystery regarding Estraven I, as well as the origins of Estraven II and the identity of the man who left Estraven II with the warder at Estre Gate. In your opinion, did Estraven I really die? Who are the parents of Estraven II? What is the identity of the man who left Estraven II with the warder? Back up your opinion with proof from Chapter 9.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 17, it is once again stated that death is the only constant in life and that every child has a shadow following it.
1) Do you agree with the idea that death is the only constant in life? Why or why not? Whichever your position, back it up with quotes from or references to the novel.
2) What does "every child has a shadow following it" mean? What is the shadow? Support your statement with excerpts from the novel.
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)