|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Investigator who documents Gethenians' androgyny?
2. Could the Foretellers answer the Lord of Shorth's question? What happened?
3. What name does Estraven give the man who rescues him?
4. What is the period of time during which a Gethenian is sexually inactive called?
5. What is the Foretellers' answer to the question that Genly asks them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is different about the love in the fable told in Chapter 9?
2. Why does the First Ekumen send only one representative (Genly) to King Argaven to conduct negotiations with him on its behalf?
3. Why is it wise for Estraven to obtain his hunter's license and learn how to hunt while en route to the farm where Genly is imprisoned?
4. What is the date of the parade?
5. Why does darkness follow each child born to Edondurath and his partner?
6. What is the nature of the relationship between Estraven and Tibe, and why?
7. With what does this story say that Lord Berosty is obsessed with?
8. Investigator Oppong makes a comment about First Mobiles, specifically that they must be self-assured because their pride will suffer. How does this comment relate to Genly?
9. Why does Herbor, Lord Berosty's kemmering, offer his life for a Foretelling by the Weaver Odren after Berosty locked himself away?
10. What does Sorve, Estraven's son, ask Genly to tell him about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 10, Slose wants to make a religion out of Genly. What led him to this odd request, and how would this have benefited, or harmed, both Genly Ai and Orgoreyn?
Essay Topic 2
Near the end of Chapter 5, Faxe tells Genly that the "uncertainty of life makes life possible." Think about what this means, and explain how the uncertainty of life makes life possible. Use examples from the novel, as well as an uncertain time in your own life, as an example.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 6, we realize that Estraven is on Genly's side and is trying to advocate for him. This contradicts what the king told Genly during his meeting with him in Chapter 3, which was that Estraven had been counseling the king against cooperating with Genly. Please compare and contrast, using examples from the book, what King Argaven told Genly during his meeting about Estraven, as well as what Estraven told Genly in Chapter 1 about no longer being able to help him, with what Estraven has actually been doing to help Genly. As we know, sometimes words and actions don't always match up. Additionally, explain why you believe Estraven continued to help Genly even though he told Genly he could not do so.
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)