Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the economic conditions of Getheren's homeland, before and after he takes back his name and shadow?
2. What happens for the first time in Chapter 6?
3. In Chapter 1, who is Pemmer Harge rem ir Tibe ('Tibe' for short) described as?
4. How long does Genly's journey to Rer, which is described in Chapter 5, take?
5. Could the Foretellers answer the Lord of Shorth's question? What happened?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Getheren 'took back his name and shadow,' what effect did it have on Shath and why?
2. What happens to a pregnant Gethenian's body?
3. Why are the non-human prisoners drugged, aside from interrogation purposes?
4. What is the Thangering Fastness?
5. What is different about the love in the fable told in Chapter 9?
6. Why does the First Ekumen send only one representative (Genly) to King Argaven to conduct negotiations with him on its behalf?
7. What is the date of the parade?
8. What does Genly do during the time it takes him to journey to the border between Karhide and Orgoreyn? How is he treated during his travels?
9. What is the significance of the completion of the Arch of River Gate?
10. What piece of advice does Estraven give Genly while explaining to him what the king will do once he receives word of Genly's capture?
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 10, Slose wants to make a religion out of Genly. What led him to this odd request, and how would this have benefited, or harmed, both Genly Ai and Orgoreyn?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 6, we realize that Estraven is on Genly's side and is trying to advocate for him. This contradicts what the king told Genly during his meeting with him in Chapter 3, which was that Estraven had been counseling the king against cooperating with Genly. Please compare and contrast, using examples from the book, what King Argaven told Genly during his meeting about Estraven, as well as what Estraven told Genly in Chapter 1 about no longer being able to help him, with what Estraven has actually been doing to help Genly. As we know, sometimes words and actions don't always match up. Additionally, explain why you believe Estraven continued to help Genly even though he told Genly he could not do so.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the different viewpoints concerning good and evil expressed by the Orgota religion, Yomesh, and the Karhidish religion, Handdara, affect how each country treats Genly Ai, at least on the surface.
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)