|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Genly carry in the case that he brings to his meeting with King Argaven?
2. This city is the capital of the nation of Karhide:
3. Who wants to bring the ship to Orgota?
4. What is the purpose of Genly's meeting with the king?
5. Where does Genly think about going next, and where does he actually decide to go?
Short Essay Questions
1. Investigator Oppong makes a comment about First Mobiles, specifically that they must be self-assured because their pride will suffer. How does this comment relate to Genly?
2. What is different about the love in the fable told in Chapter 9?
3. What is Genly's impression of Orgoreyn?
4. What happens to a pregnant Gethenian's body?
5. Who is really in control of Orgoreyn? Is it the Commensals and the Thirty-Three? How does this bode for Genly?
6. What communicates the imagery of facade and veneer in Chapter 10?
7. What does Estraven accomplish in Chapter 6 concerning Genly Ai?
8. What "tale" of his planet does Genly tell Asra?
9. With what does this story say that Lord Berosty is obsessed with?
10. As in the two Gethenian myths encountered previously, what is one of the themes that Chapter 6 deals with? Explain.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Near the end of Chapter 5, Faxe tells Genly that the "uncertainty of life makes life possible." Think about what this means, and explain how the uncertainty of life makes life possible. Use examples from the novel, as well as an uncertain time in your own life, as an example.
Essay Topic 2
Think about Estraven's statement regarding patriotism, "What is love of one's country; is it hate of one's uncountry? Then it's not a good thing." How do the inhabitants of Orgoreyn, and those of Karhide, show their patriotism for their respective countries? Back your statements up with excerpts from the novel, then compare and contrast both Orgoreyn and Karhide's expressions of patriotism with how patriotism is expressed and displayed in your own country. What do you think is good about how Orgoreyn and Karhide express their patriotism that perhaps should be adopted in your country, and what about how patriotism is expressed in your country should be adopted by Orgoreyn and Karhide (if that were possible)?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the different viewpoints concerning good and evil expressed by the Orgota religion, Yomesh, and the Karhidish religion, Handdara, affect how each country treats Genly Ai, at least on the surface.
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)