|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 1, who is Pemmer Harge rem ir Tibe ('Tibe' for short) described as?
2. What unanswerable question did the Lord of Shorth, according to Goss, force the foretellers to answer?
3. Who is the story in Chapter 9 about?
4. What is the bridge on the river Ey?
5. The relationship between which two characters is introduced in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does it mean when Handdara, the Karhidish religion, is described as having duality?
2. Why does Estraven enter dothe after he arrives at the farm where Genly is being held?
3. As the ice melts and runs into the mouths of sleepers, what substance does it become?
4. In Chapter 18, what effect does Genly say that Estraven's being in kemmer hadson him?
5. As in the two Gethenian myths encountered previously, what is one of the themes that Chapter 6 deals with? Explain.
6. Investigator Oppong makes a comment about First Mobiles, specifically that they must be self-assured because their pride will suffer. How does this comment relate to Genly?
7. Isolation is once again highlighted in Chapter 15, and is now shared between Genly Ai and Estraven. What Native American saying fits this chapter, and what does the shared isolation force Genly and Estraven to do for the first time?
8. Who is really in control of Orgoreyn? Is it the Commensals and the Thirty-Three? How does this bode for Genly?
9. What communicates the imagery of facade and veneer in Chapter 10?
10. What does the answer given to Genly by the Foretellers foreshadow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chapter 7 helps us see that Genly's pride is making development of a relationship and negotiations with the Gethenians difficult. Please explain, in your own words, how his pride is hurting his efforts. Use examples from previous chapters to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Much of Chapter 18, which bears strong themes of isolation, revolves around Genly and Estraven in their tent. Please explain whether or not you believe the tent is an illustration of, or a haven from, the isolation and why. Use passages from the novel (not just Chapter 18) to back up your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast kemmering and love, as explained in "The Left Hand of Darkness," with marriage and love in today's society.
This section contains 1,897 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)