|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Karhide's king?
2. What does Genly ask the Foretellers?
3. What significance does the Sarf have for Genly?
4. What happens to Estraven when he tries to leave Kuseben by boat?
5. What is the result of Genly's meeting with the king?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the answer given to Genly by the Foretellers foreshadow?
2. What are the primary themes of Chapter 3?
3. What does it mean when Handdara, the Karhidish religion, is described as having duality?
4. Is the information presented in Chapter 7 presented as fact, or as the investigator's opinion?
5. In chapter 16, why does Estraven ignore Genly while he is in kemmer?
6. What is kemmering?
7. With what does this story say that Lord Berosty is obsessed with?
8. What happens to a pregnant Gethenian's body?
9. After the reception for Genly is called off, what is the advice Estraven gives to him?
10. What communicates the imagery of facade and veneer in Chapter 10?
Essay Topic 1
Chapter 7 helps us see that Genly's pride is making development of a relationship and negotiations with the Gethenians difficult. Please explain, in your own words, how his pride is hurting his efforts. Use examples from previous chapters to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 14, Genly's prejudice against the Gethenians is plainly apparent. How does this prejudice hamper his mission to convince Gethen to become part of the Ekumen of Known Worlds? Please provide examples from the novel that illustrate his prejudice, and that show how his prejudice keeps interfering with the accomplishment of his mission.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 8, Genly Ai's naїveté is once again painfully evident, as he assumes the people of Orgoreyn are more advanced and civilized than the Karhidites. What causes Genly to come to this conclusion, and what, based on what you read in Chapter 8, is the truth about Orgoreyn? Is it indeed more advanced and civilized than Karhide? Use specific examples from Chapter 8, and previous chapters if applicable, to support your answer.
This section contains 1,848 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)