|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the price Genly is charged for an audience with the Foretellers?
2. Shortly after his arrival in Orgoreyn, Genly is invited to lunch with Commensals Obsle and Yegey. What information does Genly divulge to his hosts during this luncheon?
3. In this story, what does the main character, Lord Berosty, do?
4. What is the primary conflict in Chapter 2 that sets its events in motion?
5. How does Genly Ai spend the summer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What behavior exhibited by Genly in chapter 19 when he goes into town to make a transmission to the Star Ship, shows that he has grown in his ability to be patient?
2. Why does Herbor, Lord Berosty's kemmering, offer his life for a Foretelling by the Weaver Odren after Berosty locked himself away?
3. With what does this story say that Lord Berosty is obsessed with?
4. In chapter 16, why does Estraven ignore Genly while he is in kemmer?
5. What does Sorve, Estraven's son, ask Genly to tell him about?
6. Why, in Chapter 15, are Genly and Estraven still calling each other by their last names (respectively, Ai and Therem)?
7. Is Estraven's loyalty to Karhide, or is it to Orgoreyn?
8. Why does Estraven try to escape Kuseben, and why is he safe once aboard the harbor patrol ship?
9. Why does the Lord of Estre decide to raise the baby that was given to the warder as a son of the hearth?
10. Why does the First Ekumen send only one representative (Genly) to King Argaven to conduct negotiations with him on its behalf?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Think back on the various dichotomies presented in "The Left Hand of Darkness," such as Gethenian's dual sexuality; the coldness of the landscape vs. the warmth of Genly and Estraven's tent; betrayal and love, etc. How do these tie into the theme of light and darkness, and how do they tie into the title of the book, which is part of a Gethenian poem that states light is the left hand of darkness and darkness is the right hand of light? Additionally, what is the poem just quoted trying to say? What does it mean for light to be the left hand of darkness and darkness the right hand of light?
Essay Topic 2
How does Estraven continue to work to help Genly see the truth of what he is telling him, as well as to convince Genly that Estraven is on his side? Back your statements up with excerpts from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 6, we realize that Estraven is on Genly's side and is trying to advocate for him. This contradicts what the king told Genly during his meeting with him in Chapter 3, which was that Estraven had been counseling the king against cooperating with Genly. Please compare and contrast, using examples from the book, what King Argaven told Genly during his meeting about Estraven, as well as what Estraven told Genly in Chapter 1 about no longer being able to help him, with what Estraven has actually been doing to help Genly. As we know, sometimes words and actions don't always match up. Additionally, explain why you believe Estraven continued to help Genly even though he told Genly he could not do so.
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)