|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the economic conditions of Getheren's homeland, before and after he takes back his name and shadow?
2. What happens for the first time in Chapter 6?
3. In Chapter 1, who is Pemmer Harge rem ir Tibe ('Tibe' for short) described as?
4. How long does Genly's journey to Rer, which is described in Chapter 5, take?
5. Could the Foretellers answer the Lord of Shorth's question? What happened?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Getheren 'took back his name and shadow,' what effect did it have on Shath and why?
2. What happens to a pregnant Gethenian's body?
3. Why are the non-human prisoners drugged, aside from interrogation purposes?
4. What is the Thangering Fastness?
5. What is different about the love in the fable told in Chapter 9?
6. Why does the First Ekumen send only one representative (Genly) to King Argaven to conduct negotiations with him on its behalf?
7. What is the date of the parade?
8. What does Genly do during the time it takes him to journey to the border between Karhide and Orgoreyn? How is he treated during his travels?
9. What is the significance of the completion of the Arch of River Gate?
10. What piece of advice does Estraven give Genly while explaining to him what the king will do once he receives word of Genly's capture?
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 8, Genly Ai's naїveté is once again painfully evident, as he assumes the people of Orgoreyn are more advanced and civilized than the Karhidites. What causes Genly to come to this conclusion, and what, based on what you read in Chapter 8, is the truth about Orgoreyn? Is it indeed more advanced and civilized than Karhide? Use specific examples from Chapter 8, and previous chapters if applicable, to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Why is weather so important, both metaphorically, and literally, as explained in "The Left Hand of Darkness?"
Essay Topic 3
Was it a necessary or a needless thing for Estraven to allow Tibe's men to kill him? Why or why not? Did Estraven allow his death to happen in order to protect Genly, or did he commit suicide to avoid deportation to Orgoreyn? Please support your answers with specific references to the text.
This section contains 1,806 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)