Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the economic conditions of Getheren's homeland, before and after he takes back his name and shadow?
2. What happens for the first time in Chapter 6?
3. In Chapter 1, who is Pemmer Harge rem ir Tibe ('Tibe' for short) described as?
4. How long does Genly's journey to Rer, which is described in Chapter 5, take?
5. Could the Foretellers answer the Lord of Shorth's question? What happened?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Getheren 'took back his name and shadow,' what effect did it have on Shath and why?
2. What happens to a pregnant Gethenian's body?
3. Why are the non-human prisoners drugged, aside from interrogation purposes?
4. What is the Thangering Fastness?
5. What is different about the love in the fable told in Chapter 9?
6. Why does the First Ekumen send only one representative (Genly) to King Argaven to conduct negotiations with him on its behalf?
7. What is the date of the parade?
8. What does Genly do during the time it takes him to journey to the border between Karhide and Orgoreyn? How is he treated during his travels?
9. What is the significance of the completion of the Arch of River Gate?
10. What piece of advice does Estraven give Genly while explaining to him what the king will do once he receives word of Genly's capture?
Essay Topic 1
Chapter 9 contains an element of mystery regarding Estraven I, as well as the origins of Estraven II and the identity of the man who left Estraven II with the warder at Estre Gate. In your opinion, did Estraven I really die? Who are the parents of Estraven II? What is the identity of the man who left Estraven II with the warder? Back up your opinion with proof from Chapter 9.
Essay Topic 2
Near the end of Chapter 5, Faxe tells Genly that the "uncertainty of life makes life possible." Think about what this means, and explain how the uncertainty of life makes life possible. Use examples from the novel, as well as an uncertain time in your own life, as an example.
Essay Topic 3
Why do you believe that the King chose to ask the Prime World, Hain, the question, "What makes a man a traitor?" Back up your opinion with passages from the novel.
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)