|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the mysterious man give the warder at Estre Gate?
2. What is the proclamation made just before Genly is taken in to see the king?
3. What is the nature of the request made by Genly Ai in Chapter 6?
4. The relationship between which two characters is introduced in Chapter 1?
5. What is the monogamous partnership between two Gethenians called?
Short Essay Questions
1. With what does this story say that Lord Berosty is obsessed with?
2. In Chapter 18, what effect does Genly say that Estraven's being in kemmer hadson him?
3. What is the significance of the completion of the Arch of River Gate?
4. What does Estraven do to make Genly angry with him? What is the significance, to Genly, of Estraven's behavior?
5. Why is it wise for Estraven to obtain his hunter's license and learn how to hunt while en route to the farm where Genly is imprisoned?
6. What does Argaven do when he learns of Genly's whereabouts in Chapter 20?
7. What piece of advice does Estraven give Genly while explaining to him what the king will do once he receives word of Genly's capture?
8. What is Genly's impression of Orgoreyn?
9. In Chapter 19, how is betrayal portrayed?
10. Why does Herbor, Lord Berosty's kemmering, offer his life for a Foretelling by the Weaver Odren after Berosty locked himself away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how the different viewpoints concerning good and evil expressed by the Orgota religion, Yomesh, and the Karhidish religion, Handdara, affect how each country treats Genly Ai, at least on the surface.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 6, we realize that Estraven is on Genly's side and is trying to advocate for him. This contradicts what the king told Genly during his meeting with him in Chapter 3, which was that Estraven had been counseling the king against cooperating with Genly. Please compare and contrast, using examples from the book, what King Argaven told Genly during his meeting about Estraven, as well as what Estraven told Genly in Chapter 1 about no longer being able to help him, with what Estraven has actually been doing to help Genly. As we know, sometimes words and actions don't always match up. Additionally, explain why you believe Estraven continued to help Genly even though he told Genly he could not do so.
Essay Topic 3
Please describe Lord Berosty's obsession and what it prevents him from doing, as well as Genly Ai's obsession and what it prevents him from doing. Explain the parallels that can be drawn between the two men in regards to their respective obsessions.
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)