|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the mortar the king applies to the Arch's keystone made of?
2. What does Lord Berosty's kemmering offer in return for being told how long Lord Berosty will live?
3. Who is waiting for Estraven at the city gate when he arrives in Kuseben?
4. Shortly after his arrival in Orgoreyn, Genly is invited to lunch with Commensals Obsle and Yegey. What information does Genly divulge to his hosts during this luncheon?
5. In Chapter 1, who is Pemmer Harge rem ir Tibe ('Tibe' for short) described as?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is really in control of Orgoreyn? Is it the Commensals and the Thirty-Three? How does this bode for Genly?
2. Why does Herbor, Lord Berosty's kemmering, offer his life for a Foretelling by the Weaver Odren after Berosty locked himself away?
3. What is the significance of the completion of the Arch of River Gate?
4. As the ice melts and runs into the mouths of sleepers, what substance does it become?
5. What is the date of the parade?
6. With what does this story say that Lord Berosty is obsessed with?
7. What does Sorve, Estraven's son, ask Genly to tell him about?
8. What does Genly do during the time it takes him to journey to the border between Karhide and Orgoreyn? How is he treated during his travels?
9. What behavior exhibited by Genly in chapter 19 when he goes into town to make a transmission to the Star Ship, shows that he has grown in his ability to be patient?
10. Why does Estraven enter dothe after he arrives at the farm where Genly is being held?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 10, Slose wants to make a religion out of Genly. What led him to this odd request, and how would this have benefited, or harmed, both Genly Ai and Orgoreyn?
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the different viewpoints concerning good and evil expressed by the Orgota religion, Yomesh, and the Karhidish religion, Handdara, affect how each country treats Genly Ai, at least on the surface.
Essay Topic 3
Was it a necessary or a needless thing for Estraven to allow Tibe's men to kill him? Why or why not? Did Estraven allow his death to happen in order to protect Genly, or did he commit suicide to avoid deportation to Orgoreyn? Please support your answers with specific references to the text.
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)