|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 1, who is Pemmer Harge rem ir Tibe ('Tibe' for short) described as?
2. What does Genly learn during his lunch with the local politicians?
3. What are the economic conditions of Getheren's homeland, before and after he takes back his name and shadow?
4. After leaving Kuseben, where does Estraven first land?
5. After he loses his registration due to a change in the Alien Registry Law, what happens to Estraven?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 16, why does Estraven ignore Genly while he is in kemmer?
2. Why does Herbor, Lord Berosty's kemmering, offer his life for a Foretelling by the Weaver Odren after Berosty locked himself away?
3. What "tale" of his planet does Genly tell Asra?
4. Why does the First Ekumen send only one representative (Genly) to King Argaven to conduct negotiations with him on its behalf?
5. In Chapter 5, Genly frets about the slowness of the boats and complains about how long his mission is taking. Why do you think Genly is so impatient throughout Chapter 5?
6. Why does the Lord of Estre decide to raise the baby that was given to the warder as a son of the hearth?
7. How does betrayal figure in Chapter 9?
8. What does it mean when Handdara, the Karhidish religion, is described as having duality?
9. In Chapter 19, how is betrayal portrayed?
10. What communicates the imagery of facade and veneer in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 10, Slose wants to make a religion out of Genly. What led him to this odd request, and how would this have benefited, or harmed, both Genly Ai and Orgoreyn?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 17, it is once again stated that death is the only constant in life and that every child has a shadow following it.
1) Do you agree with the idea that death is the only constant in life? Why or why not? Whichever your position, back it up with quotes from or references to the novel.
2) What does "every child has a shadow following it" mean? What is the shadow? Support your statement with excerpts from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Please describe Lord Berosty's obsession and what it prevents him from doing, as well as Genly Ai's obsession and what it prevents him from doing. Explain the parallels that can be drawn between the two men in regards to their respective obsessions.
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)