|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the nineteenth day of the month known as?
2. Why does Genly return to Erhenrang in Chapter 8 after spending his summer on the Eastern Coast?
3. What religion are the Foretellers?
4. What does Genly ask the Foretellers?
5. After his return to Erhenrang, Genly sends Tibe a note. What is in this note?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the only question that Faxe tells Genly can really be answered?
2. What piece of advice does Estraven give Genly while explaining to him what the king will do once he receives word of Genly's capture?
3. As the ice melts and runs into the mouths of sleepers, what substance does it become?
4. In Chapter 19, how is betrayal portrayed?
5. After the reception for Genly is called off, what is the advice Estraven gives to him?
6. What is the nature of the relationship between Estraven and Tibe, and why?
7. What is different about the love in the fable told in Chapter 9?
8. What does Sorve, Estraven's son, ask Genly to tell him about?
9. Investigator Oppong makes a comment about First Mobiles, specifically that they must be self-assured because their pride will suffer. How does this comment relate to Genly?
10. What theme is brought out in Chapter 11, and how is it brought out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast kemmering and love, as explained in "The Left Hand of Darkness," with marriage and love in today's society.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 10, Slose wants to make a religion out of Genly. What led him to this odd request, and how would this have benefited, or harmed, both Genly Ai and Orgoreyn?
Essay Topic 3
Chapter 9 contains an element of mystery regarding Estraven I, as well as the origins of Estraven II and the identity of the man who left Estraven II with the warder at Estre Gate. In your opinion, did Estraven I really die? Who are the parents of Estraven II? What is the identity of the man who left Estraven II with the warder? Back up your opinion with proof from Chapter 9.
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)