|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose name comes up during Estraven's dinner conversation with Commensals Yegey and Obsle?
2. What does Estraven do once he learns of his exile?
3. What message does the king ask Genly to send to Hain using his communicator?
4. Could the Foretellers answer the Lord of Shorth's question? What happened?
5. What does Genly think the reason for Tibe's frequent radio appearances is?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is the information presented in Chapter 7 presented as fact, or as the investigator's opinion?
2. Is Estraven's loyalty to Karhide, or is it to Orgoreyn?
3. What is the nature of the relationship between Karhide and Orgoreyn?
4. In Chapter 5, Genly frets about the slowness of the boats and complains about how long his mission is taking. Why do you think Genly is so impatient throughout Chapter 5?
5. Why, in Chapter 15, are Genly and Estraven still calling each other by their last names (respectively, Ai and Therem)?
6. Why is it wise for Estraven to obtain his hunter's license and learn how to hunt while en route to the farm where Genly is imprisoned?
7. Isolation is once again highlighted in Chapter 15, and is now shared between Genly Ai and Estraven. What Native American saying fits this chapter, and what does the shared isolation force Genly and Estraven to do for the first time?
8. What is the significance of the completion of the Arch of River Gate?
9. In Chapter 19, how is betrayal portrayed?
10. What happens to a pregnant Gethenian's body?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Think back on the various dichotomies presented in "The Left Hand of Darkness," such as Gethenian's dual sexuality; the coldness of the landscape vs. the warmth of Genly and Estraven's tent; betrayal and love, etc. How do these tie into the theme of light and darkness, and how do they tie into the title of the book, which is part of a Gethenian poem that states light is the left hand of darkness and darkness is the right hand of light? Additionally, what is the poem just quoted trying to say? What does it mean for light to be the left hand of darkness and darkness the right hand of light?
Essay Topic 2
How does Estraven continue to work to help Genly see the truth of what he is telling him, as well as to convince Genly that Estraven is on his side? Back your statements up with excerpts from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Near the end of Chapter 5, Faxe tells Genly that the "uncertainty of life makes life possible." Think about what this means, and explain how the uncertainty of life makes life possible. Use examples from the novel, as well as an uncertain time in your own life, as an example.
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)