|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What important concept is brought up again in Chapter 10?
(a) Death and life.
(b) Love and betrayal.
(c) Honesty and genuineness.
(d) Facade and veneer.
2. Is it possible for a Gethenian to change gender from one period of sexual activity to another?
(d) The book does not specify.
3. When Getheren leaves Orhoch, what name does he travel under?
(c) Genly Ai.
4. What happens to Estraven when he tries to leave Kuseben by boat?
(a) He is shot by a sonic gun, and is captured by Tibe's forces.
(b) Nothing happens; he successfully escapes and lands at Shelt Port in Orgoreyn.
(c) He is shot by a sonic gun, then rescued by a harbor patrol ship.
(d) The boat sinks and he drowns.
5. What is the Foretellers' answer to the question that Genly asks them?
(a) The question is unanswerable.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the origin of the story told in Chapter 4?
2. Who tells Getheren that he is in danger of suicide?
3. What does Lord Berosty's kemmering offer in return for being told how long Lord Berosty will live?
4. What is Genly Ai's mission?
5. What is the length of the Gethenians' sexual cycle?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the reception for Genly is called off, what is the advice Estraven gives to him?
2. How does betrayal figure in Chapter 9?
3. What does Commissioner Shusgis do that is so surprising to Genly? Why does it surprise him?
4. Why does Estraven try to escape Kuseben, and why is he safe once aboard the harbor patrol ship?
5. As in the two Gethenian myths encountered previously, what is one of the themes that Chapter 6 deals with? Explain.
6. The Pering Ice and Gobrin Ice are mentioned in Chapter 2. What significance does this have?
7. What is the nature of the relationship between Estraven and Tibe, and why?
8. What "tale" of his planet does Genly tell Asra?
9. When Getheren 'took back his name and shadow,' what effect did it have on Shath and why?
10. What is the Thangering Fastness?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)