|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the significance of the title of Chapter 4, "The Nineteenth Day?"
(a) The Nineteenth Day is the day, in any month, on which Lord Berosty is predicted to die
(b) Nineteen is the number of children Lord Berosty is forecasted to have.
(c) The nineteenth day, in any month, is Lord Berosty's forecasted wedding date.
(d) The Nineteenth Day is the day, in any month, on which Lord Berosty's kemmering will die.
2. Before leaving his homeland, what does Getheren do?
(a) He bundles up as warmly as he can to protect himself from the cold.
(b) He vows kemmering to his brother, which earns him a death sentence.
(c) He lays a curse upon the Hearth that plunges it into poverty.
(d) He steals the Hearth's wealth, thereby plunging it into poverty.
3. What is the name of the Investigator who documents Gethenians' androgyny?
(a) Oppong Ong Tot.
(b) Oppong Tot Ong.
(c) Tot Ong Oppong.
(d) Ong Tot Oppong.
4. What unanswerable question did the Lord of Shorth, according to Goss, force the foretellers to answer?
(a) When will I die?
(b) Why is the sky blue?
(c) What is the meaning of life?
(d) What happens after death?
5. Where does Getheren wind up after he leaves Karhide?
(a) The Pering Ice.
(b) The Gobrin Ice.
(c) The Hearth of Shath.
Short Answer Questions
1. Between which two domains is the blood feud in Chapter 9?
2. What literary construct is intended by the introduction into the story of Argaven's pregnancy?
3. Two nights and one day after Estraven and Stokven become kemmers, Estraven is attacked by a party from Stok and presumed killed. Stokven tells his countrymen what to do with Estraven's body. Did they follow Stokven's orders?
4. What does Lord Berosty's kemmering offer in return for being told how long Lord Berosty will live?
5. What does Genly think the reason for Tibe's frequent radio appearances is?
Short Essay Questions
1. What behavior exhibited by Genly in chapter 19 when he goes into town to make a transmission to the Star Ship, shows that he has grown in his ability to be patient?
2. Isolation is once again highlighted in Chapter 15, and is now shared between Genly Ai and Estraven. What Native American saying fits this chapter, and what does the shared isolation force Genly and Estraven to do for the first time?
3. As the ice melts and runs into the mouths of sleepers, what substance does it become?
4. Why does the First Ekumen send only one representative (Genly) to King Argaven to conduct negotiations with him on its behalf?
5. Why does the Lord of Estre decide to raise the baby that was given to the warder as a son of the hearth?
6. What is the nature of the relationship between Estraven and Tibe, and why?
7. Why is Genly's decision to take money to Estraven on Ashe's behalf significant?
8. What do High Priest Tuhulme's comments about Yomesh being a one-sided religion mean?
9. What piece of advice does Estraven give Genly while explaining to him what the king will do once he receives word of Genly's capture?
10. What does Commissioner Shusgis do that is so surprising to Genly? Why does it surprise him?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)