Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. If a Gethenian becomes pregnant, how long is the gestation period (i.e., the amount of time it takes before the baby is born)?
(a) 8.4 months.
(b) 9 months.
(c) 4.8 months.
(d) Gethenians don't experience pregnancy.
2. What happens to Genly's passport, once he enters Orgoreyn?
(a) He accidentally drops it into the river and loses it.
(b) It is taken from him with promises it will be returned the following day.
(c) It is stamped and he is granted entry.
(d) It is taken from him, and he is put into jail.
3. Why does Genly return to Erhenrang in Chapter 8 after spending his summer on the Eastern Coast?
(a) He wants to warn the King about Tibe.
(b) He doesn't want to spend the winter in Old Karhide.
(c) He wants to be present for the birth of the King's child.
(d) He wants to plead Estraven's case.
4. What news comes from Argaven's palace during the month of Kus?
(a) The Queen is pregnant.
(b) The King is pregnant.
(c) The King is dying.
(d) The King has vowed kemmer.
5. The planet on which Genly Ai is stationed is called 'Gethen' by its inhabitants. What do humans know this planet as?
(b) Formaldehyde 5.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Genly Ai spend the summer?
2. Do Gethenians become pregnant as males, or as females?
3. What answer (in part) does the king receive?
4. What does Odren tell Lord Berosty's kemmering?
5. What happens to Lord Berosty after his kemmering's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Estraven try to escape Kuseben, and why is he safe once aboard the harbor patrol ship?
2. What is different about the love in the fable told in Chapter 9?
3. What is the nature of the relationship between Estraven and Tibe, and why?
4. Why does the First Ekumen send only one representative (Genly) to King Argaven to conduct negotiations with him on its behalf?
5. What does the story in Chapter 9 foreshadow?
6. What does Sorve, Estraven's son, ask Genly to tell him about?
7. Is the information presented in Chapter 7 presented as fact, or as the investigator's opinion?
8. What is the date of the parade?
9. The Pering Ice and Gobrin Ice are mentioned in Chapter 2. What significance does this have?
10. What "tale" of his planet does Genly tell Asra?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)