|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Shortly after Genly sends his letter to Tibe, Ashe visits him. What is the purpose of Ashe's visit?
(a) He wants Genly to take money to Estraven.
(b) He wants to warn Genly that his life is in danger.
(c) He wants to invite Genly to dinner.
(d) He wants Genly to take him to Estraven.
2. What does Genly ask the Foretellers?
(a) Will Karhide be a member of the Ekumen of the Known Worlds within five years?
(b) Will Karhide be a member of the Ekumen of the Known Worlds within seven years?
(c) Will Gethen become a member of the Ekumen of the Known Worlds within five years?
(d) Will Gethen be a member of the Ekumen of the Known Worlds within seven years?
3. Who is the Prime Minister in Chapter 1?
(a) Tony Blair.
(b) Therem Harth rem ir Estraven (Estraven for short).
(c) Genly Ai.
(d) Pemmer Harge rem ir Tibe ('Tibe' for short) .
4. What important concept is brought up again in Chapter 10?
(a) Honesty and genuineness.
(b) Facade and veneer.
(c) Love and betrayal.
(d) Death and life.
5. Why does Genly wind up on a communal farm?
(a) He has to flee without his passport when fighting starts between Karhide and Orgoreyn..
(b) He enjoyed his communal experience in Otherhord so much, he wants to relive it.
(c) He is taken as a prisoner of war, and the farm is where all POWs are being held.
(d) He is broke and needs money.
Short Answer Questions
1. After his return to Erhenrang, Genly sends Tibe a note. What is in this note?
2. What is the origin of the story told in Chapter 4?
3. Shortly after his arrival in Orgoreyn, Genly is invited to lunch with Commensals Obsle and Yegey. What information does Genly divulge to his hosts during this luncheon?
4. What happens to Genly's passport, once he enters Orgoreyn?
5. What is the Foretellers' answer to the question that Genly asks them?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Estraven enter dothe after he arrives at the farm where Genly is being held?
2. What does Estraven accomplish in Chapter 6 concerning Genly Ai?
3. Why does Estraven try to escape Kuseben, and why is he safe once aboard the harbor patrol ship?
4. Is the information presented in Chapter 7 presented as fact, or as the investigator's opinion?
5. With what does this story say that Lord Berosty is obsessed with?
6. What does Sorve, Estraven's son, ask Genly to tell him about?
7. What does Genly do during the time it takes him to journey to the border between Karhide and Orgoreyn? How is he treated during his travels?
8. What does the story in Chapter 9 foreshadow?
9. What themes are present in Chapter 5?
10. What is the nature of the relationship between Karhide and Orgoreyn?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)