|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lord Berosty's kemmering offer in return for being told how long Lord Berosty will live?
(a) He offers his life.
(b) He offers his life's savings.
(c) He offers three cows and a chicken.
(d) He offers his first-born child.
2. Two nights and one day after Estraven and Stokven become kemmers, Estraven is attacked by a party from Stok and presumed killed. Stokven tells his countrymen what to do with Estraven's body. Did they follow Stokven's orders?
(a) No, they leave him in the woods for the wild beasts to eat.
(b) Yes, they leave him in the woods for the wild beasts to eat.
(c) Yes, they take him to Estre for burial.
(d) No, they take him to Estre for burial.
3. Who wants to bring the ship to Orgota?
(a) Genly and Estraven.
(b) Yegey and Obsle.
(c) Yegey and Slose.
(d) Slose and Gaum.
4. In this story, what does the main character, Lord Berosty, do?
(a) Lord Berosty requests a Foretelling of the Weaver Odren as to what day he will die.
(b) Lord Berosty asks the Weaver Odren if he will ever get married.
(c) Lord Berosty asks the Weaver Odren how many children he will have.
(d) Lord Berosty requests a Foretelling of the Weaver Odren as to what day his kemmering will die.
5. Shortly after Genly sends his letter to Tibe, Ashe visits him. What is the purpose of Ashe's visit?
(a) He wants to invite Genly to dinner.
(b) He wants to warn Genly that his life is in danger.
(c) He wants Genly to take money to Estraven.
(d) He wants Genly to take him to Estraven.
Short Answer Questions
1. What literary construct is intended by the introduction into the story of Argaven's pregnancy?
2. What, in the report documented in Chapter 7, does the Investigator say is an "appalling experience?"
3. What does the mysterious man give the warder at Estre Gate?
4. How far is Rer from Karhide?
5. If a Gethenian becomes pregnant, how long is the gestation period (i.e., the amount of time it takes before the baby is born)?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is the information presented in Chapter 7 presented as fact, or as the investigator's opinion?
2. What communicates the imagery of facade and veneer in Chapter 10?
3. What is kemmering?
4. Why is the Shath Domain, Getheren's homeland, experiencing poverty and widespread illness near the end of Chapter 2?
5. In Chapter 19, how is betrayal portrayed?
6. What do High Priest Tuhulme's comments about Yomesh being a one-sided religion mean?
7. Why does the First Ekumen send only one representative (Genly) to King Argaven to conduct negotiations with him on its behalf?
8. In Chapter 5, Genly frets about the slowness of the boats and complains about how long his mission is taking. Why do you think Genly is so impatient throughout Chapter 5?
9. What does Commissioner Shusgis do that is so surprising to Genly? Why does it surprise him?
10. What does the story in Chapter 9 foreshadow?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)