|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Genly Ai spend the summer?
(a) Genly spends the summer in Mishnory, working in the ice-house with Estraven.
(b) Genly spends the summer traveling, observing, and listening.
(c) Genly spends the summer in Passerer, trying o avert war with Siuwensin.
(d) Genly spends the summer in Karhide, hiding from Tibe.
2. Could the Foretellers answer the Lord of Shorth's question? What happened?
(a) Yes; they knew the answer, but refused to give it to him.
(b) No; they said no one could possibly know that answer.
(c) No; they clubbed him to death to get out of answering it.
(d) Yes; however, the answer was never recorded and is lost to history.
3. What significance does the Sarf have for Genly?
(a) Gaum, the head of the Sarf, accepts Genly--this means he is safe from arrest.
(b) Slose, the head of the Sarf, thinks Genly is a fake--this puts him in danger of arrest.
(c) Genly is an ambassador; therefore, the Sarf has no significance for him because of his political immunity.
(d) Gaum, the head of the Sarf, thinks Genly is a fake--this puts him in danger of arrest.
4. What is the length of the Gethenians' sexual cycle?
(a) 28 to 30 days.
(b) 21 to 22 days.
(c) It's impossible to tell. After all, they're androgynous.
(d) 26 to 28 days.
5. Who is waiting for Estraven at the city gate when he arrives in Kuseben?
(b) His two sons.
(c) Ashe, his former kemmering.
(d) Genly Ai.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the purpose of the parade upon which Chapter 1 opens?
2. What is Genly Ai's mission?
3. What is the origin of the story told in Chapter 4?
4. Why does Chapter 5 say that Genly has come to Rer?
5. When a Gethenian becomes sexually active and finds a partner, what happens?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the primary themes of Chapter 3?
2. In Chapter 18, what effect does Genly say that Estraven's being in kemmer hadson him?
3. How are Genly and Estraven's sense of personal responsibility for their fellow man different?
4. What does Commissioner Shusgis do that is so surprising to Genly? Why does it surprise him?
5. What does Estraven accomplish in Chapter 6 concerning Genly Ai?
6. Why does Herbor, Lord Berosty's kemmering, offer his life for a Foretelling by the Weaver Odren after Berosty locked himself away?
7. What does the answer given to Genly by the Foretellers foreshadow?
8. What theme is brought out in Chapter 11, and how is it brought out?
9. When Getheren 'took back his name and shadow,' what effect did it have on Shath and why?
10. What "tale" of his planet does Genly tell Asra?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)