|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the origin of the story told in Chapter 4?
(b) West Karhide.
(d) East Karhide.
2. What religion are the Foretellers?
3. How long does Genly's journey to Rer, which is described in Chapter 5, take?
(a) Four years.
(b) Four hours.
(c) Four days.
(d) Four weeks.
4. Shortly after his arrival in Orgoreyn, Genly is invited to lunch with Commensals Obsle and Yegey. What information does Genly divulge to his hosts during this luncheon?
(a) He tells them that Tibe is trying to start a war with Orgoreyn.
(b) He tells them that his ship is in Orgoreyn and invites them for a visit.
(c) He tells them about his ship, and also that a NAFAL ship is orbiting the planet.
(d) He tells them about his ship, and also that a Star Ship is currently orbiting the planet.
5. What does Odren tell Lord Berosty's kemmering?
(a) He tells the kemmering that he and Lord Berosty will die at the same time.
(b) Odren tells the kemmering that Lord Berosty will live longer than the kemmering does.
(c) He tells the kemmering that he will outlive Lord Berosty.
(d) He tells the kemmering that he made a mistake and that Lord Berosty won't be dying any time soon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Genly learn during his lunch with the local politicians?
2. After leaving Kuseben, where does Estraven first land?
3. How far is Rer from Karhide?
4. What is the length of the Gethenians' sexual cycle?
5. What name does Estraven give to the doctor while he is in the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Estraven accomplish in Chapter 6 concerning Genly Ai?
2. In Chapter 18, what effect does Genly say that Estraven's being in kemmer hadson him?
3. What are the primary themes of Chapter 3?
4. Why are the non-human prisoners drugged, aside from interrogation purposes?
5. Why does the First Ekumen send only one representative (Genly) to King Argaven to conduct negotiations with him on its behalf?
6. As in the two Gethenian myths encountered previously, what is one of the themes that Chapter 6 deals with? Explain.
7. Why, in Chapter 15, are Genly and Estraven still calling each other by their last names (respectively, Ai and Therem)?
8. Why does darkness follow each child born to Edondurath and his partner?
9. After the reception for Genly is called off, what is the advice Estraven gives to him?
10. As the ice melts and runs into the mouths of sleepers, what substance does it become?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)