|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What unanswerable question did the Lord of Shorth, according to Goss, force the foretellers to answer?
(a) Why is the sky blue?
(b) What happens after death?
(c) What is the meaning of life?
(d) When will I die?
2. What happens to Lord Berosty after his kemmering's death?
(a) Lord Berosty relocates permanently to the Thangering Fastness and becomes a monk.
(b) Lord Berosty grieves, but eventually finds another kemmering.
(c) He goes mad and hangs himself on the nineteenth day of the month of Thern.
(d) Lord Berosty is tried and executed for the kemmering's murder... on the nineteenth day of the month of Thern.
3. On what day of the month is Genly allowed to visit the Nine Foretellers and ask his question?
(a) Odstreth, the 18th.
(b) Odstreth, the 19th.
(c) Onnetherhad, the 19th.
(d) Onnetherhad, the 18th.
4. How does Genly finance the trip he takes in Chapter 5?
(a) He pays for it with cash.
(b) He charges it on his credit card.
(c) He sells two of his rubies.
(d) He sells one of his rubies.
5. What are the economic conditions of Getheren's homeland, before and after he takes back his name and shadow?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is waiting for Estraven at the city gate when he arrives in Kuseben?
2. Before he dies, what does Estraven II do?
3. When does the story in Chapter 2 take place?
4. Who is the story in Chapter 9 about?
5. What is the origin of the story told in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What piece of advice does Estraven give Genly while explaining to him what the king will do once he receives word of Genly's capture?
2. What does Estraven accomplish in Chapter 6 concerning Genly Ai?
3. In Chapter 19, how is betrayal portrayed?
4. What "tale" of his planet does Genly tell Asra?
5. What does Sorve, Estraven's son, ask Genly to tell him about?
6. What is the nature of the relationship between Karhide and Orgoreyn?
7. What is the nature of the relationship between Estraven and Tibe, and why?
8. What is the date of the parade?
9. What are the primary themes of Chapter 3?
10. With what does Lord Berosty kill his kemmering?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)