|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Could the Foretellers answer the Lord of Shorth's question? What happened?
(a) No; they clubbed him to death to get out of answering it.
(b) Yes; they knew the answer, but refused to give it to him.
(c) No; they said no one could possibly know that answer.
(d) Yes; however, the answer was never recorded and is lost to history.
2. What is the name of the Investigator who documents Gethenians' androgyny?
(a) Oppong Ong Tot.
(b) Tot Ong Oppong.
(c) Ong Tot Oppong.
(d) Oppong Tot Ong.
3. What is the mortar the king applies to the Arch's keystone made of?
(a) Ground animal bones mixed with human blood.
(b) Ground human bones mixed with human blood.
(d) Ground animal bones mixed with animal blood.
4. What is the purpose of the parade upon which Chapter 1 opens?
(a) It celebrates the Karhide Independence Day.
(b) It celebrates the King's ascension to the throne.
(c) It celebrates the completion of the Arch of River Gate.
(d) It celebrates Genly's arrival.
5. When a Gethenian becomes sexually active and finds a partner, what happens?
(a) Hormones kick in, and female genitalia develop.
(b) Hormones kick in, and either male or female genitalia develop.
(c) Hormones kick in, and male genitalia develop.
(d) Hormones kick in, and both male and female genitalia develop.
Short Answer Questions
1. Is Lord Berosty satisfied with the answer he receives? Why?
2. Why must Estraven escape on foot?
3. What is the gender of the inhabitants of Gethen?
4. The planet on which Genly Ai is stationed is called 'Gethen' by its inhabitants. What do humans know this planet as?
5. Where does Estraven find employment in his new home?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 5, Genly frets about the slowness of the boats and complains about how long his mission is taking. Why do you think Genly is so impatient throughout Chapter 5?
2. What does Estraven accomplish in Chapter 6 concerning Genly Ai?
3. What behavior exhibited by Genly in chapter 19 when he goes into town to make a transmission to the Star Ship, shows that he has grown in his ability to be patient?
4. What is kemmering?
5. Why is the Shath Domain, Getheren's homeland, experiencing poverty and widespread illness near the end of Chapter 2?
6. What does Argaven do when he learns of Genly's whereabouts in Chapter 20?
7. In chapter 16, why does Estraven ignore Genly while he is in kemmer?
8. Why is it wise for Estraven to obtain his hunter's license and learn how to hunt while en route to the farm where Genly is imprisoned?
9. What communicates the imagery of facade and veneer in Chapter 10?
10. What is the nature of the relationship between Estraven and Tibe, and why?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)