|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before leaving his homeland, what does Getheren do?
(a) He lays a curse upon the Hearth that plunges it into poverty.
(b) He steals the Hearth's wealth, thereby plunging it into poverty.
(c) He vows kemmering to his brother, which earns him a death sentence.
(d) He bundles up as warmly as he can to protect himself from the cold.
2. What message does the king ask Genly to send to Hain using his communicator?
(a) Why did you send Genly here?
(b) Why do you want my nation to join the Ekumen?
(c) What makes a man loyal?
(d) What makes a man a traitor?
3. Who is the Prime Minister in Chapter 1?
(a) Therem Harth rem ir Estraven (Estraven for short).
(b) Pemmer Harge rem ir Tibe ('Tibe' for short) .
(c) Tony Blair.
(d) Genly Ai.
4. What is the gender of the inhabitants of Gethen?
(a) Entirely male.
(b) Male and female.
(c) Entirely female.
5. What, in the report documented in Chapter 7, does the Investigator say is an "appalling experience?"
(a) Having sex with a Gethenian.
(b) Being judged as a Gethenian.
(c) Being judged as a human.
(d) Watching a Gethenian give birth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the place where Estraven is granted asylum, to which he must travel?
2. Where does Genly live during the month of Kus?
3. Who is waiting for Estraven at the city gate when he arrives in Kuseben?
4. When Genly finally gets to Mishnory, whom does he find there?
5. Where does the story in Chapter 2 take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the First Ekumen send only one representative (Genly) to King Argaven to conduct negotiations with him on its behalf?
2. What does Estraven do to make Genly angry with him? What is the significance, to Genly, of Estraven's behavior?
3. After the reception for Genly is called off, what is the advice Estraven gives to him?
4. What communicates the imagery of facade and veneer in Chapter 10?
5. Why is it wise for Estraven to obtain his hunter's license and learn how to hunt while en route to the farm where Genly is imprisoned?
6. The Pering Ice and Gobrin Ice are mentioned in Chapter 2. What significance does this have?
7. Is the information presented in Chapter 7 presented as fact, or as the investigator's opinion?
8. What does the story in Chapter 9 foreshadow?
9. With what does this story say that Lord Berosty is obsessed with?
10. As in the two Gethenian myths encountered previously, what is one of the themes that Chapter 6 deals with? Explain.
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)