|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the mortar the king applies to the Arch's keystone made of?
(a) Ground animal bones mixed with animal blood.
(c) Ground animal bones mixed with human blood.
(d) Ground human bones mixed with human blood.
2. What do the Commensals want to do with the information Genly gives to them during lunch?
(a) They want to visit Genly's ship.
(b) They want to shoot down the NAFAL ship and kill Genly.
(c) They want to have the Star Ship land in Orgota in order to bring prestige to themselves and the nation.
(d) They want to send an assassin to kill Tibe.
3. This city is the capital of the nation of Karhide:
(c) The Island.
4. Who finds Getheren on the ninth day after he leaves his homeland?
(b) The posse sent by the Lord of Hearth.
(c) No one; he dies of exposure as a result.
(d) The people of Orhoch Hearth.
5. By the end of Chapter 10, what is Genly starting to realize?
(a) He's starting to realize that the secret police, not the King, are running Karhide.
(b) He's starting to realize that his first impressions were wrong and that Karhide is much more advanced and civilized than Orgoreyn.
(c) He's starting to realize that his initial impressions were accurate and that Orgoreyn is much more advanced and civilized than Karhide.
(d) He's starting to realize that something's not quite right; Orgoreyn isn't as it appears.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Genly finally gets to Mishnory, whom does he find there?
2. Where does Genly live during the month of Kus?
3. What is the Gethenians' mating cycle known as?
4. When a Gethenian becomes sexually active and finds a partner, what happens?
5. What is the name of Karhide's king?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the reception for Genly is called off, what is the advice Estraven gives to him?
2. What does Genly say to the Commensals that he never mentioned to King Argaven?
3. What is different about the love in the fable told in Chapter 9?
4. In Chapter 5, Genly frets about the slowness of the boats and complains about how long his mission is taking. Why do you think Genly is so impatient throughout Chapter 5?
5. In Chapter 16, Genly keeps Estraven from falling during the earthquake and teaches him to play a game. Estraven restores the skin on Genly's face when it becomes frostbitten. What does this show about their relationship?
6. As in the two Gethenian myths encountered previously, what is one of the themes that Chapter 6 deals with? Explain.
7. Why does Herbor, Lord Berosty's kemmering, offer his life for a Foretelling by the Weaver Odren after Berosty locked himself away?
8. What is the Thangering Fastness?
9. What is the date of the parade?
10. How are Genly and Estraven's sense of personal responsibility for their fellow man different?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)