|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Berosty kill his kemmering after his return from Thangering Fastness and Weaver Odren?
(a) The kemmering didn't ask *how long* Lord Berosty would live, but instead *when* Lord Berosty would die.
(b) Berosty discovered his partner had broken kemmering.
(c) Berosty didn't want his kemmering to approach Weaver Odren, and the kemmering had disobeyed his orders.
(d) He didn't ask *when* Lord Berosty would die, but *how long* Lord Berosty would live.
2. What message does the king ask Genly to send to Hain using his communicator?
(a) Why did you send Genly here?
(b) What makes a man loyal?
(c) What makes a man a traitor?
(d) Why do you want my nation to join the Ekumen?
3. How long does Genly's journey to Rer, which is described in Chapter 5, take?
(a) Four years.
(b) Four hours.
(c) Four weeks.
(d) Four days.
4. What news comes from Argaven's palace during the month of Kus?
(a) The King is pregnant.
(b) The King is dying.
(c) The King has vowed kemmer.
(d) The Queen is pregnant.
5. Why does Genly return to Erhenrang in Chapter 8 after spending his summer on the Eastern Coast?
(a) He wants to be present for the birth of the King's child.
(b) He wants to plead Estraven's case.
(c) He wants to warn the King about Tibe.
(d) He doesn't want to spend the winter in Old Karhide.
Short Answer Questions
1. Is Lord Berosty satisfied with the answer he receives? Why?
2. What significance does the Sarf have for Genly?
3. When Genly finally gets to Mishnory, whom does he find there?
4. Why does Genly wind up on a communal farm?
5. What is the significance of the title of Chapter 4, "The Nineteenth Day?"
Short Essay Questions
1. How does betrayal figure in Chapter 9?
2. What themes are present in Chapter 5?
3. What does Chapter 3 reveal to us about Genly's nature?
4. As in the two Gethenian myths encountered previously, what is one of the themes that Chapter 6 deals with? Explain.
5. Why is the Shath Domain, Getheren's homeland, experiencing poverty and widespread illness near the end of Chapter 2?
6. What is the nature of the relationship between Karhide and Orgoreyn?
7. What behavior exhibited by Genly in chapter 19 when he goes into town to make a transmission to the Star Ship, shows that he has grown in his ability to be patient?
8. What does Estraven do to make Genly angry with him? What is the significance, to Genly, of Estraven's behavior?
9. Is Estraven's loyalty to Karhide, or is it to Orgoreyn?
10. Isolation is once again highlighted in Chapter 15, and is now shared between Genly Ai and Estraven. What Native American saying fits this chapter, and what does the shared isolation force Genly and Estraven to do for the first time?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)