|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Genly wind up on a communal farm?
(a) He enjoyed his communal experience in Otherhord so much, he wants to relive it.
(b) He is taken as a prisoner of war, and the farm is where all POWs are being held.
(c) He has to flee without his passport when fighting starts between Karhide and Orgoreyn..
(d) He is broke and needs money.
2. How does Genly finance the trip he takes in Chapter 5?
(a) He pays for it with cash.
(b) He sells one of his rubies.
(c) He charges it on his credit card.
(d) He sells two of his rubies.
3. Could the Foretellers answer the Lord of Shorth's question? What happened?
(a) No; they said no one could possibly know that answer.
(b) Yes; however, the answer was never recorded and is lost to history.
(c) No; they clubbed him to death to get out of answering it.
(d) Yes; they knew the answer, but refused to give it to him.
4. Where does Genly think about going next, and where does he actually decide to go?
(a) The Pering Ice/the Gobrin Ice.
(b) The Fastnesses/Orgoreyn.
(c) The Gobrin Ice/the Pering Ice.
(d) Orgoreyn/the Fastnesses.
5. Who is waiting for Estraven at the city gate when he arrives in Kuseben?
(a) Genly Ai.
(b) His two sons.
(d) Ashe, his former kemmering.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Getheren that he is in danger of suicide?
2. It's been pointed out many times in "The Left Hand of Darkness," thus far, that the Gethenians are androgynous. What does "androgynous" mean?
3. Before leaving his homeland, what does Getheren do?
4. What is the nature of the request made by Genly Ai in Chapter 6?
5. What, in the report documented in Chapter 7, does the Investigator say is an "appalling experience?"
Short Essay Questions
1. After the reception for Genly is called off, what is the advice Estraven gives to him?
2. Is Estraven's loyalty to Karhide, or is it to Orgoreyn?
3. What does Chapter 3 reveal to us about Genly's nature?
4. What does Genly say to the Commensals that he never mentioned to King Argaven?
5. What "tale" of his planet does Genly tell Asra?
6. As in the two Gethenian myths encountered previously, what is one of the themes that Chapter 6 deals with? Explain.
7. What themes are present in Chapter 5?
8. Why does darkness follow each child born to Edondurath and his partner?
9. Why does Herbor, Lord Berosty's kemmering, offer his life for a Foretelling by the Weaver Odren after Berosty locked himself away?
10. With what does this story say that Lord Berosty is obsessed with?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)