|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Estraven II known throughout history as for his actions?
(a) Estraven the Loyal.
(b) Estraven the Traitor.
(c) Estraven the Idiot.
(d) Estraven the Shrewd.
2. What is the result of Genly's meeting with the king?
(a) It is a good "get to know you" meeting; the king is interested in learning more about the Ekumen and schedules a second discussion with Genly.
(b) The meeting is successful; Karhide becomes part of the Ekumen.
(c) The king is so offended by Genly's pictures that he has Genly imprisoned.
(d) The meeting is not successful; the king is not interested in Karhide becoming part of the Ekumen.
3. What is the origin of the story told in Chapter 4?
(a) East Karhide.
(b) West Karhide.
4. Why is it so monumental that Estraven and Stokven swore kemmering to each other?
(a) They are of different races.
(b) They are brothers.
(c) They are the same gender.
(d) They are enemies.
5. When does the story in Chapter 2 take place?
(a) 200 years ago.
(b) 10 years in the future.
(d) 50 years ago.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Genly Ai's mission?
2. How does Genly Ai spend the summer?
3. What happens to Lord Berosty after his kemmering's death?
4. This city is the capital of the nation of Karhide:
5. What themes are highlighted in the story told in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Genly say to the Commensals that he never mentioned to King Argaven?
2. What do High Priest Tuhulme's comments about Yomesh being a one-sided religion mean?
3. Why does Herbor, Lord Berosty's kemmering, offer his life for a Foretelling by the Weaver Odren after Berosty locked himself away?
4. With what does this story say that Lord Berosty is obsessed with?
5. In Chapter 18, what effect does Genly say that Estraven's being in kemmer hadson him?
6. What is kemmering?
7. What does Commissioner Shusgis do that is so surprising to Genly? Why does it surprise him?
8. What are the primary themes of Chapter 3?
9. In Chapter 19, how is betrayal portrayed?
10. What does Chapter 3 reveal to us about Genly's nature?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)