|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the purpose of the parade upon which Chapter 1 opens?
(a) It celebrates the completion of the Arch of River Gate.
(b) It celebrates the King's ascension to the throne.
(c) It celebrates Genly's arrival.
(d) It celebrates the Karhide Independence Day.
2. This city is the capital of the nation of Karhide:
(b) The Island.
3. Whose name comes up during Estraven's dinner conversation with Commensals Yegey and Obsle?
(a) Genly Ai.
(d) The Lord Bishory.
4. What do the Commensals want to do with the information Genly gives to them during lunch?
(a) They want to have the Star Ship land in Orgota in order to bring prestige to themselves and the nation.
(b) They want to shoot down the NAFAL ship and kill Genly.
(c) They want to visit Genly's ship.
(d) They want to send an assassin to kill Tibe.
5. After he loses his registration due to a change in the Alien Registry Law, what happens to Estraven?
(a) He is made one of Commensal Yegey's secretaries and regains his registration.
(b) He continues to live in his new home as an illegal alien.
(c) He regains his registration and goes back to his previous job.
(d) He loses his refugee status and is taken back to Gethen to meet his fate.
Short Answer Questions
1. Shortly after Genly sends his letter to Tibe, Ashe visits him. What is the purpose of Ashe's visit?
2. What does Genly carry in the case that he brings to his meeting with King Argaven?
3. Is Lord Berosty satisfied with the answer he receives? Why?
4. Who is the story in Chapter 9 about?
5. What is Estraven II known throughout history as for his actions?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Commissioner Shusgis do that is so surprising to Genly? Why does it surprise him?
2. Why does Estraven enter dothe after he arrives at the farm where Genly is being held?
3. What "tale" of his planet does Genly tell Asra?
4. What are the primary themes of Chapter 3?
5. What is kemmering?
6. The Pering Ice and Gobrin Ice are mentioned in Chapter 2. What significance does this have?
7. As the ice melts and runs into the mouths of sleepers, what substance does it become?
8. How are Genly and Estraven's sense of personal responsibility for their fellow man different?
9. What communicates the imagery of facade and veneer in Chapter 10?
10. What behavior exhibited by Genly in chapter 19 when he goes into town to make a transmission to the Star Ship, shows that he has grown in his ability to be patient?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)