|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the important themes of Chapter 2?
(a) Marriage and divorce.
(b) Betrayal and hatred.
(c) Kemmering and love.
(d) Breaking the law and exile.
2. What is Genly's opinion of Estraven's presence in Orgoreyn?
(a) He is planning to betray Estraven to Tibe.
(b) He believes it is a benefit.
(c) He believes it is a complication.
(d) He is glad that Estraven was able to find refuge.
3. Who finds Getheren on the ninth day after he leaves his homeland?
(a) The people of Orhoch Hearth.
(c) No one; he dies of exposure as a result.
(d) The posse sent by the Lord of Hearth.
4. Where does the story in Chapter 2 take place?
(b) The Hearth of Orhoch.
(c) The Hearth of Shath.
5. What does Genly carry in the case that he brings to his meeting with King Argaven?
(a) Money and gifts that were sent by the Ekumen to the king.
(b) His ansible communicator and pictures.
(c) His ansible communicator.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the proclamation made just before Genly is taken in to see the king?
2. Why does Genly return to Erhenrang in Chapter 8 after spending his summer on the Eastern Coast?
3. What is the nineteenth day of the month known as?
4. What is the Sarf?
5. Between which two domains is the blood feud in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Chapter 3 reveal to us about Genly's nature?
2. How does betrayal figure in Chapter 9?
3. Why does Estraven try to escape Kuseben, and why is he safe once aboard the harbor patrol ship?
4. Why is Genly's decision to take money to Estraven on Ashe's behalf significant?
5. What happens to a pregnant Gethenian's body?
6. What do High Priest Tuhulme's comments about Yomesh being a one-sided religion mean?
7. What does Commissioner Shusgis do that is so surprising to Genly? Why does it surprise him?
8. What does Sorve, Estraven's son, ask Genly to tell him about?
9. What communicates the imagery of facade and veneer in Chapter 10?
10. Why does Herbor, Lord Berosty's kemmering, offer his life for a Foretelling by the Weaver Odren after Berosty locked himself away?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)