|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Shortly after Genly sends his letter to Tibe, Ashe visits him. What is the purpose of Ashe's visit?
(a) He wants to warn Genly that his life is in danger.
(b) He wants to invite Genly to dinner.
(c) He wants Genly to take money to Estraven.
(d) He wants Genly to take him to Estraven.
2. What unanswerable question did the Lord of Shorth, according to Goss, force the foretellers to answer?
(a) What happens after death?
(b) When will I die?
(c) What is the meaning of life?
(d) Why is the sky blue?
3. Who tells Getheren that he is in danger of suicide?
(a) Hode, his brother and kemmering.
(b) Genly Ai.
(d) The Lord of Shath.
4. What does Genly learn during his lunch with the local politicians?
(a) He learns that Slose wants to make a religion out of him.
(b) He learns that the King's child was born that morning, but survived less than an hour.
(c) He learns that his life is in danger.
(d) He learns what the Sarf is.
5. Two nights and one day after Estraven and Stokven become kemmers, Estraven is attacked by a party from Stok and presumed killed. Stokven tells his countrymen what to do with Estraven's body. Did they follow Stokven's orders?
(a) No, they leave him in the woods for the wild beasts to eat.
(b) Yes, they take him to Estre for burial.
(c) Yes, they leave him in the woods for the wild beasts to eat.
(d) No, they take him to Estre for burial.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the origin of the story told in Chapter 4?
2. What do the Commensals want to do with the information Genly gives to them during lunch?
3. What does Genly do during his time in Otherhord, while he is waiting to be taken to the Foretellers?
4. Who is waiting for Estraven at the city gate when he arrives in Kuseben?
5. Do Gethenians become pregnant as males, or as females?
Short Essay Questions
1. Isolation is once again highlighted in Chapter 15, and is now shared between Genly Ai and Estraven. What Native American saying fits this chapter, and what does the shared isolation force Genly and Estraven to do for the first time?
2. In Chapter 18, what effect does Genly say that Estraven's being in kemmer hadson him?
3. What does Argaven do when he learns of Genly's whereabouts in Chapter 20?
4. What does Estraven do to make Genly angry with him? What is the significance, to Genly, of Estraven's behavior?
5. What does Genly do during the time it takes him to journey to the border between Karhide and Orgoreyn? How is he treated during his travels?
6. In Chapter 5, Genly frets about the slowness of the boats and complains about how long his mission is taking. Why do you think Genly is so impatient throughout Chapter 5?
7. What does it mean when Handdara, the Karhidish religion, is described as having duality?
8. How are Genly and Estraven's sense of personal responsibility for their fellow man different?
9. How does Chapter 7 tie into Genly's story?
10. Why does the Lord of Estre decide to raise the baby that was given to the warder as a son of the hearth?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)