|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the purpose of the parade upon which Chapter 1 opens?
(a) It celebrates Genly's arrival.
(b) It celebrates the completion of the Arch of River Gate.
(c) It celebrates the King's ascension to the throne.
(d) It celebrates the Karhide Independence Day.
2. If a Gethenian becomes pregnant, how long is the gestation period (i.e., the amount of time it takes before the baby is born)?
(a) 8.4 months.
(b) 9 months.
(c) 4.8 months.
(d) Gethenians don't experience pregnancy.
3. What is the length of the Gethenians' sexual cycle?
(a) 26 to 28 days.
(b) It's impossible to tell. After all, they're androgynous.
(c) 21 to 22 days.
(d) 28 to 30 days.
4. What does Lord Berosty's kemmering offer in return for being told how long Lord Berosty will live?
(a) He offers his first-born child.
(b) He offers his life's savings.
(c) He offers three cows and a chicken.
(d) He offers his life.
5. What happens to Lord Berosty after his kemmering's death?
(a) Lord Berosty is tried and executed for the kemmering's murder... on the nineteenth day of the month of Thern.
(b) He goes mad and hangs himself on the nineteenth day of the month of Thern.
(c) Lord Berosty grieves, but eventually finds another kemmering.
(d) Lord Berosty relocates permanently to the Thangering Fastness and becomes a monk.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Genly wind up on a communal farm?
2. What does Genly learn during his lunch with the local politicians?
3. What are the important themes of Chapter 2?
4. Where does the story in Chapter 2 take place?
5. After his return to Erhenrang, Genly sends Tibe a note. What is in this note?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Estraven do to make Genly angry with him? What is the significance, to Genly, of Estraven's behavior?
2. Why is the Shath Domain, Getheren's homeland, experiencing poverty and widespread illness near the end of Chapter 2?
3. As in the two Gethenian myths encountered previously, what is one of the themes that Chapter 6 deals with? Explain.
4. Who is really in control of Orgoreyn? Is it the Commensals and the Thirty-Three? How does this bode for Genly?
5. What "tale" of his planet does Genly tell Asra?
6. What does it mean when Handdara, the Karhidish religion, is described as having duality?
7. What does Sorve, Estraven's son, ask Genly to tell him about?
8. After the reception for Genly is called off, what is the advice Estraven gives to him?
9. Investigator Oppong makes a comment about First Mobiles, specifically that they must be self-assured because their pride will suffer. How does this comment relate to Genly?
10. What is the date of the parade?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)