|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who visits Genly the morning following the dinner with which Chapter 8 ends?
(b) The Commensals.
2. When does the story in Chapter 2 take place?
(a) 10 years in the future.
(b) 200 years ago.
(d) 50 years ago.
3. What does Genly carry in the case that he brings to his meeting with King Argaven?
(a) Money and gifts that were sent by the Ekumen to the king.
(c) His ansible communicator.
(d) His ansible communicator and pictures.
4. What unanswerable question did the Lord of Shorth, according to Goss, force the foretellers to answer?
(a) What is the meaning of life?
(b) What happens after death?
(c) Why is the sky blue?
(d) When will I die?
5. How long does Genly's journey to Rer, which is described in Chapter 5, take?
(a) Four years.
(b) Four days.
(c) Four hours.
(d) Four weeks.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Genly Ai spend the summer?
2. When baby Therem (also called Estraven) grows up, what happens to him?
3. What does Lord Berosty's kemmering offer in return for being told how long Lord Berosty will live?
4. Shortly after his arrival in Orgoreyn, Genly is invited to lunch with Commensals Obsle and Yegey. What information does Genly divulge to his hosts during this luncheon?
5. What is the Foretellers' answer to the question that Genly asks them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What piece of advice does Estraven give Genly while explaining to him what the king will do once he receives word of Genly's capture?
2. Why is the Shath Domain, Getheren's homeland, experiencing poverty and widespread illness near the end of Chapter 2?
3. What is the only question that Faxe tells Genly can really be answered?
4. What is different about the love in the fable told in Chapter 9?
5. What is the nature of the relationship between Karhide and Orgoreyn?
6. What does Argaven do when he learns of Genly's whereabouts in Chapter 20?
7. How are Genly and Estraven's sense of personal responsibility for their fellow man different?
8. What does Estraven do to make Genly angry with him? What is the significance, to Genly, of Estraven's behavior?
9. What does Chapter 3 reveal to us about Genly's nature?
10. What does the story in Chapter 9 foreshadow?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)