|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Getheren on the third morning after his departure from his homeland?
(a) He is rescued and granted asylum by his rescuers.
(b) He commits suicide.
(c) His hands and feet are frostbitten.
(d) He finds shelter in an abandoned hunting camp.
2. What is the period of time during which a Gethenian is sexually active called?
3. What are the important themes of Chapter 2?
(a) Kemmering and love.
(b) Marriage and divorce.
(c) Breaking the law and exile.
(d) Betrayal and hatred.
4. What important concept is brought up again in Chapter 10?
(a) Death and life.
(b) Facade and veneer.
(c) Love and betrayal.
(d) Honesty and genuineness.
5. What is the Gethenians' sexual orientation, according to Chapter 3?
Short Answer Questions
1. On what day of the month is Genly allowed to visit the Nine Foretellers and ask his question?
2. When Getheren leaves Orhoch, what name does he travel under?
3. When baby Therem (also called Estraven) grows up, what happens to him?
4. Why does the Ekumen send only one representative to Karhide?
5. What unanswerable question did the Lord of Shorth, according to Goss, force the foretellers to answer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Estraven accomplish in Chapter 6 concerning Genly Ai?
2. Why does darkness follow each child born to Edondurath and his partner?
3. After the reception for Genly is called off, what is the advice Estraven gives to him?
4. What is kemmering?
5. In Chapter 16, Genly keeps Estraven from falling during the earthquake and teaches him to play a game. Estraven restores the skin on Genly's face when it becomes frostbitten. What does this show about their relationship?
6. As in the two Gethenian myths encountered previously, what is one of the themes that Chapter 6 deals with? Explain.
7. Why is Genly's decision to take money to Estraven on Ashe's behalf significant?
8. In Chapter 5, Genly frets about the slowness of the boats and complains about how long his mission is taking. Why do you think Genly is so impatient throughout Chapter 5?
9. As the ice melts and runs into the mouths of sleepers, what substance does it become?
10. In Chapter 19, how is betrayal portrayed?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)