|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells Getheren that he is in danger of suicide?
(a) Hode, his brother and kemmering.
(c) The Lord of Shath.
(d) Genly Ai.
2. Which picture offends the king when Genly shows it to him?
(a) A picture of the supreme leader of the Ekumen.
(b) A picture of a male from Earth.
(c) A picture of a female from Cime.
(d) A picture of a fellow Gethenian.
3. What is the significance of the title of Chapter 4, "The Nineteenth Day?"
(a) The Nineteenth Day is the day, in any month, on which Lord Berosty's kemmering will die.
(b) The nineteenth day, in any month, is Lord Berosty's forecasted wedding date.
(c) Nineteen is the number of children Lord Berosty is forecasted to have.
(d) The Nineteenth Day is the day, in any month, on which Lord Berosty is predicted to die
4. What is the nineteenth day of the month known as?
(d) The nineteenth day.
5. What is the price Genly is charged for an audience with the Foretellers?
(a) One ruby.
(b) Two rubies.
(c) Three rubies.
(d) As a First Mobile, he isn't charged anything.
Short Answer Questions
1. The planet on which Genly Ai is stationed is called 'Gethen' by its inhabitants. What do humans know this planet as?
2. Who is the story in Chapter 9 about?
3. What is the name of Lord Berosty's kemmering?
4. The relationship between which two characters is introduced in Chapter 1?
5. What do the Investigator's field notes say about being a First Mobile on Winter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Estraven's loyalty to Karhide, or is it to Orgoreyn?
2. With what does this story say that Lord Berosty is obsessed with?
3. What theme is brought out in Chapter 11, and how is it brought out?
4. Why does the First Ekumen send only one representative (Genly) to King Argaven to conduct negotiations with him on its behalf?
5. What does Chapter 3 reveal to us about Genly's nature?
6. What are the primary themes of Chapter 3?
7. After the reception for Genly is called off, what is the advice Estraven gives to him?
8. Why are the non-human prisoners drugged, aside from interrogation purposes?
9. What is the date of the parade?
10. How does Chapter 7 tie into Genly's story?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)