Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the economic conditions of Getheren's homeland, before and after he takes back his name and shadow?
2. What happens for the first time in Chapter 6?
(a) We see the chapter's events unfold through Genly Ai's eyes.
(b) We understand why Estraven was accused of treason.
(c) We see the themes of love and betrayal introduced.
(d) We see the chapter's events unfold through Estraven's eyes.
3. In Chapter 1, who is Pemmer Harge rem ir Tibe ('Tibe' for short) described as?
(a) The Prime Minister.
(b) The king's cousin.
(c) There is no one in the book by this name.
(d) The mayor of Erhenrang.
4. How long does Genly's journey to Rer, which is described in Chapter 5, take?
(a) Four years.
(b) Four hours.
(c) Four days.
(d) Four weeks.
5. Could the Foretellers answer the Lord of Shorth's question? What happened?
(a) Yes; they knew the answer, but refused to give it to him.
(b) Yes; however, the answer was never recorded and is lost to history.
(c) No; they said no one could possibly know that answer.
(d) No; they clubbed him to death to get out of answering it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Ekumen send only one representative to Karhide?
2. Why is it so monumental that Estraven and Stokven swore kemmering to each other?
3. How does Genly's lunch with the Commensals differ from his meeting with King Argaven?
4. What happens to Genly's passport, once he enters Orgoreyn?
5. What name does Estraven give to the doctor while he is in the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Getheren 'took back his name and shadow,' what effect did it have on Shath and why?
2. What happens to a pregnant Gethenian's body?
3. Why are the non-human prisoners drugged, aside from interrogation purposes?
4. What is the Thangering Fastness?
5. What is different about the love in the fable told in Chapter 9?
6. Why does the First Ekumen send only one representative (Genly) to King Argaven to conduct negotiations with him on its behalf?
7. What is the date of the parade?
8. What does Genly do during the time it takes him to journey to the border between Karhide and Orgoreyn? How is he treated during his travels?
9. What is the significance of the completion of the Arch of River Gate?
10. What piece of advice does Estraven give Genly while explaining to him what the king will do once he receives word of Genly's capture?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)