|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Genly Ai's mission?
(a) Genly's mission is to convince Gethen to leave the Ekumen of Known Worlds.
(b) Genly's mission is to negotiate an alliance between Gethen and the Ekumen of Known Worlds.
(c) Genly doesn't have a mission; he's just sightseeing.
(d) Genly's mission is to encourage Erhenrang to secede from Karhide.
2. What are the important themes of Chapter 2?
(a) Marriage and divorce.
(b) Kemmering and love.
(c) Betrayal and hatred.
(d) Breaking the law and exile.
3. Why does Chapter 5 say that Genly has come to Rer?
(a) He wants to live on a commune.
(b) He is looking for a job.
(c) He wishes to visit a nearby fastness and learn about what Foretellers do.
(d) He is discouraged after his failed meeting with the King and needs a break.
4. What is the purpose of the parade upon which Chapter 1 opens?
(a) It celebrates the completion of the Arch of River Gate.
(b) It celebrates the Karhide Independence Day.
(c) It celebrates Genly's arrival.
(d) It celebrates the King's ascension to the throne.
5. Which picture offends the king when Genly shows it to him?
(a) A picture of a fellow Gethenian.
(b) A picture of the supreme leader of the Ekumen.
(c) A picture of a female from Cime.
(d) A picture of a male from Earth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news comes from Argaven's palace during the month of Kus?
2. Why does Genly return to Erhenrang in Chapter 8 after spending his summer on the Eastern Coast?
3. What is the mortar the king applies to the Arch's keystone made of?
4. Who is waiting for Estraven at the city gate when he arrives in Kuseben?
5. How does Genly finance the trip he takes in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What communicates the imagery of facade and veneer in Chapter 10?
2. When Getheren 'took back his name and shadow,' what effect did it have on Shath and why?
3. What piece of advice does Estraven give Genly while explaining to him what the king will do once he receives word of Genly's capture?
4. What does Estraven accomplish in Chapter 6 concerning Genly Ai?
5. What does Commissioner Shusgis do that is so surprising to Genly? Why does it surprise him?
6. In chapter 16, why does Estraven ignore Genly while he is in kemmer?
7. Why does Estraven try to escape Kuseben, and why is he safe once aboard the harbor patrol ship?
8. What is the nature of the relationship between Karhide and Orgoreyn?
9. In Chapter 18, what effect does Genly say that Estraven's being in kemmer hadson him?
10. What does it mean when Handdara, the Karhidish religion, is described as having duality?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)