|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the purpose of Genly's meeting with the king?
(a) To talk to the king about Estraven.
(b) To convince the king that he is an envoy from another planet, and to start a dialogue about Gethen becoming part of the Ekumen.
(c) To ask permission to travel to Orgoreyn.
(d) To pledge kemmering to the king.
2. The planet on which Genly Ai is stationed is called 'Gethen' by its inhabitants. What do humans know this planet as?
(a) Formaldehyde 5.
3. What takes place between Estraven II and Therem of Stok?
(a) They vow kemmering.
(b) They vow peace between their two houses.
(c) They kill each other.
(d) They vow to continue their feud until one of them dies.
4. It's been pointed out many times in "The Left Hand of Darkness," thus far, that the Gethenians are androgynous. What does "androgynous" mean?
(a) Both genders.
(c) No apparent gender--can't tell whether the being is male or female.
5. What is Genly Ai's mission?
(a) Genly's mission is to negotiate an alliance between Gethen and the Ekumen of Known Worlds.
(b) Genly's mission is to convince Gethen to leave the Ekumen of Known Worlds.
(c) Genly doesn't have a mission; he's just sightseeing.
(d) Genly's mission is to encourage Erhenrang to secede from Karhide.
Short Answer Questions
1. What, in the report documented in Chapter 7, does the Investigator say is an "appalling experience?"
2. What is the nature of the request made by Genly Ai in Chapter 6?
3. Do Gethenians become pregnant as males, or as females?
4. What themes are highlighted in the story told in Chapter 4?
5. Between which two domains is the blood feud in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Estraven enter dothe after he arrives at the farm where Genly is being held?
2. What does the answer given to Genly by the Foretellers foreshadow?
3. What piece of advice does Estraven give Genly while explaining to him what the king will do once he receives word of Genly's capture?
4. What is kemmering?
5. In Chapter 5, Genly frets about the slowness of the boats and complains about how long his mission is taking. Why do you think Genly is so impatient throughout Chapter 5?
6. With what does this story say that Lord Berosty is obsessed with?
7. What does Argaven do when he learns of Genly's whereabouts in Chapter 20?
8. What happens to a pregnant Gethenian's body?
9. What is Genly's impression of Orgoreyn?
10. What are the primary themes of Chapter 3?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)