|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After he loses his registration due to a change in the Alien Registry Law, what happens to Estraven?
(a) He loses his refugee status and is taken back to Gethen to meet his fate.
(b) He regains his registration and goes back to his previous job.
(c) He is made one of Commensal Yegey's secretaries and regains his registration.
(d) He continues to live in his new home as an illegal alien.
2. What is the significance of the title of Chapter 4, "The Nineteenth Day?"
(a) The nineteenth day, in any month, is Lord Berosty's forecasted wedding date.
(b) The Nineteenth Day is the day, in any month, on which Lord Berosty's kemmering will die.
(c) The Nineteenth Day is the day, in any month, on which Lord Berosty is predicted to die
(d) Nineteen is the number of children Lord Berosty is forecasted to have.
3. After leaving Kuseben, where does Estraven first land?
(a) Shelt Port, Orgoreyn.
(c) The Gulf of Charisune.
(d) The Orgny Fastness.
4. Why does the Ekumen send only one representative to Karhide?
(a) It is a trick; in actuality, the Ekumen have troops waiting to invade as soon as Genly gives the word to do so.
(b) The Ekumen believe that one voice speaking truth is a greater force than fleets and armies.
(c) Genly is the only ambassador who knows how to speak the Gethenite language.
(d) They are low on resources.
5. What does Genly learn during his lunch with the local politicians?
(a) He learns that his life is in danger.
(b) He learns what the Sarf is.
(c) He learns that Slose wants to make a religion out of him.
(d) He learns that the King's child was born that morning, but survived less than an hour.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the climate on the planet Gethen, year-round?
2. How long does Genly's journey to Rer, which is described in Chapter 5, take?
3. What name does Estraven give to the doctor while he is in the hospital?
4. What takes place between Estraven II and Therem of Stok?
5. What do the Commensals want to do with the information Genly gives to them during lunch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Argaven do when he learns of Genly's whereabouts in Chapter 20?
2. Why are the non-human prisoners drugged, aside from interrogation purposes?
3. What happens to a pregnant Gethenian's body?
4. Is the information presented in Chapter 7 presented as fact, or as the investigator's opinion?
5. Why, in Chapter 15, are Genly and Estraven still calling each other by their last names (respectively, Ai and Therem)?
6. Is Estraven's loyalty to Karhide, or is it to Orgoreyn?
7. In Chapter 18, what effect does Genly say that Estraven's being in kemmer hadson him?
8. What is the significance of the completion of the Arch of River Gate?
9. What is the nature of the relationship between Karhide and Orgoreyn?
10. As in the two Gethenian myths encountered previously, what is one of the themes that Chapter 6 deals with? Explain.
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)