|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the story in Chapter 9 about?
(a) Estraven, an ancestor of the Estraven who was once Prime Minister of Karhide.
(b) King Argaven's ancestors.
(c) Estraven, the former prime minster of Karhide who has been granted asylum in Mishnory.
(d) Stokven, Therem of Stok.
2. Why must Estraven escape on foot?
(a) His car was confiscated when the exile decree was issued.
(b) If he uses any conveyance, those aiding him would be liable and would be punished.
(c) He doesn't know how to drive.
(d) He is afraid to fly.
3. Do Gethenians become pregnant as males, or as females?
(b) Either gender can become pregnant.
(c) Gethenians don't experience pregnancy.
4. What is the period of time during which a Gethenian is sexually active called?
5. What is the advice that Estraven gives Genly during his visit to Genly's apartment in Mishnory?
(a) He tells Genly that he is being used as a tool and that it will harm him if he isn't careful.
(b) He tells Genly to leave Orgoreyn as soon as possible because his life is in danger.
(c) He tells Genly to encourage Orgoreyn to join the Ekumen.
(d) He tells Genly that Orgoreyn is a much better place from which to achieve his mission.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the two themes that are introduced in Chapter 1?
2. Why does Chapter 5 say that Genly has come to Rer?
3. Where does Getheren wind up after he leaves Karhide?
4. What does Genly ask the Foretellers?
5. What happens for the first time in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. As in the two Gethenian myths encountered previously, what is one of the themes that Chapter 6 deals with? Explain.
2. What is the date of the parade?
3. What does Genly do during the time it takes him to journey to the border between Karhide and Orgoreyn? How is he treated during his travels?
4. Investigator Oppong makes a comment about First Mobiles, specifically that they must be self-assured because their pride will suffer. How does this comment relate to Genly?
5. In chapter 16, why does Estraven ignore Genly while he is in kemmer?
6. What does Argaven do when he learns of Genly's whereabouts in Chapter 20?
7. What behavior exhibited by Genly in chapter 19 when he goes into town to make a transmission to the Star Ship, shows that he has grown in his ability to be patient?
8. What does it mean when Handdara, the Karhidish religion, is described as having duality?
9. Why does the First Ekumen send only one representative (Genly) to King Argaven to conduct negotiations with him on its behalf?
10. What "tale" of his planet does Genly tell Asra?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)