|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Genly think the reason for Tibe's frequent radio appearances is?
(a) Genly thinks Tibe is going insane.
(b) Genly thinks Tibe is trying to help convince Karhide to become part of the Ekumen.
(c) Genly thinks Tibe is trying to incite war with Orgoreyn.
(d) Genly thinks Tibe is trying to overthrow the King.
2. What is the Foretellers' answer to the question that Genly asks them?
(c) The question is unanswerable.
3. What is the Gethenians' mating cycle known as?
(b) Mating cycle.
(c) Being in heat.
4. Between which two domains is the blood feud in Chapter 9?
(a) The Domain of Shath and the Domain of Stok.
(b) The Domain of Shath and the Domain of Estre.
(c) The Domain of Karhide and the Domain of Orgoreyn.
(d) The Domain of Stok and the Domain of Estre.
5. Who visits Genly the morning following the dinner with which Chapter 8 ends?
(c) The Commensals.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Genly finance the trip he takes in Chapter 5?
2. What is the proclamation made just before Genly is taken in to see the king?
3. What literary construct is intended by the introduction into the story of Argaven's pregnancy?
4. What answer (in part) does the king receive?
5. Who tells Getheren that he is in danger of suicide?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is kemmering?
2. Why is the Shath Domain, Getheren's homeland, experiencing poverty and widespread illness near the end of Chapter 2?
3. What does Estraven accomplish in Chapter 6 concerning Genly Ai?
4. What does the story in Chapter 9 foreshadow?
5. In Chapter 19, how is betrayal portrayed?
6. What "tale" of his planet does Genly tell Asra?
7. Why does the First Ekumen send only one representative (Genly) to King Argaven to conduct negotiations with him on its behalf?
8. Why does Estraven try to escape Kuseben, and why is he safe once aboard the harbor patrol ship?
9. Why is Genly's decision to take money to Estraven on Ashe's behalf significant?
10. What piece of advice does Estraven give Genly while explaining to him what the king will do once he receives word of Genly's capture?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)