|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Genly Ai's mission?
(a) Genly's mission is to convince Gethen to leave the Ekumen of Known Worlds.
(b) Genly's mission is to encourage Erhenrang to secede from Karhide.
(c) Genly's mission is to negotiate an alliance between Gethen and the Ekumen of Known Worlds.
(d) Genly doesn't have a mission; he's just sightseeing.
2. What answer (in part) does the king receive?
(a) I sent Genly to you to ask your nation to join the Ekumen.
(b) I want Gethen to join the Ekumen to promote universal peace and harmony.
(c) I do not know what makes a man a traitor.
(d) I do not know what makes a man loyal.
3. What does the mysterious man give the warder at Estre Gate?
(a) A baby, whom he says is Therem, the son's son of Estre.
(b) A note from Therem of Stok requesting parley with the Lord of Estre.
(c) News of Estraven's (otherwise known as Arek of Estre) death.
(d) The Domain of Stok's war plans.
4. Where does the second Estraven in Chapter 9 (Estraven II) wind up after his failed hunting trip?
(a) Falling into Icefoot Lake and drowning.
(b) The home of Therem of Stok.
(c) Back home in Estre.
(d) Dying in the wilderness, with his body eaten by wild beasts.
5. The relationship between which two characters is introduced in Chapter 1?
(a) King Argaven and Tibe.
(b) Genly Ai and King Argaven.
(c) Estraven and Tibe.
(d) Genly Ai and Estraven.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Genly think about going next, and where does he actually decide to go?
2. When Getheren leaves Orhoch, what name does he travel under?
3. What happens to Getheren on the third morning after his departure from his homeland?
4. What is the gender of the inhabitants of Gethen?
5. What are the two themes that are introduced in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is kemmering?
2. Why does Estraven try to escape Kuseben, and why is he safe once aboard the harbor patrol ship?
3. With what does Lord Berosty kill his kemmering?
4. What does the story in Chapter 9 foreshadow?
5. What do High Priest Tuhulme's comments about Yomesh being a one-sided religion mean?
6. With what does this story say that Lord Berosty is obsessed with?
7. In chapter 16, why does Estraven ignore Genly while he is in kemmer?
8. In Chapter 19, how is betrayal portrayed?
9. Why is Genly's decision to take money to Estraven on Ashe's behalf significant?
10. What are the primary themes of Chapter 3?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)