|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What religion are the Foretellers?
2. The relationship between which two characters is introduced in Chapter 1?
(a) Genly Ai and Estraven.
(b) Estraven and Tibe.
(c) King Argaven and Tibe.
(d) Genly Ai and King Argaven.
3. What is the nature of the request made by Genly Ai in Chapter 6?
(a) He requests permission to enter the Commensality.
(b) He requests asylum in Orgoreyn.
(c) He asks Estraven to pledge kemmering to him.
(d) He asks to be taken to Shelt Port.
4. What is the name of Lord Berosty's kemmering?
(b) Geganner of the Herbor clan.
(d) Herbor of the Geganner clan.
5. What takes place between Estraven II and Therem of Stok?
(a) They kill each other.
(b) They vow peace between their two houses.
(c) They vow kemmering.
(d) They vow to continue their feud until one of them dies.
Short Answer Questions
1. If a Gethenian becomes pregnant, how long is the gestation period (i.e., the amount of time it takes before the baby is born)?
2. What is the origin of the story told in Chapter 4?
3. What does Estraven do once he learns of his exile?
4. What does Odren tell Lord Berosty's kemmering?
5. Who is the Prime Minister in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the non-human prisoners drugged, aside from interrogation purposes?
2. What does the story in Chapter 9 foreshadow?
3. What is different about the love in the fable told in Chapter 9?
4. What is the significance of the completion of the Arch of River Gate?
5. What does it mean when Handdara, the Karhidish religion, is described as having duality?
6. What does Estraven accomplish in Chapter 6 concerning Genly Ai?
7. How does betrayal figure in Chapter 9?
8. What do High Priest Tuhulme's comments about Yomesh being a one-sided religion mean?
9. In Chapter 16, Genly keeps Estraven from falling during the earthquake and teaches him to play a game. Estraven restores the skin on Genly's face when it becomes frostbitten. What does this show about their relationship?
10. What is the Thangering Fastness?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)