|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Estraven leaves Mishnory under an assumed name and with forged papers, where does he wind up?
(a) Estraven is found out, and is imprisoned for forging his documents.
(b) In Ethwen.
(c) In the Rotherer Fastness.
(d) In Karhide.
2. When Genly and Estraven come out of Tarrenpeth Forest, a few days into their journey, what does Estraven use his previously-acquired hunting skills to trap?
(a) Pesthry, a fox-like carnivore.
(b) Pesthry, a fox-like omnivore.
(c) Pesthry, a type of game bird.
(d) Pesthry, a fox-like herbivore.
3. In Chapter 20, who is the first off the Star Ship after it lands?
(a) Genly's wife.
(b) A woman named Heo Lang Hew.
(c) A woman named Lang Heo Hew.
(d) Genly's immediate supervisor.
4. What is Edondurath's house made from?
(a) The corpses of the others he had killed.
(b) Sticks and hay.
(d) Snow and ice.
5. On what day of their trip do Genly and Estraven eventually arrive in Karhide?
(a) The 51st day.
(b) The 81st day.
(c) The 18th day.
(d) The 100th day.
6. In Chapter 18, Genly and Estraven have gone through much of the provisions they started with. What do we learn that Genly and Estraven are now relying on eating for nourishment?
(a) Pesthry and gichy-michy.
(b) Orsh and gichy-michy.
(c) Pesthry and orsh.
(d) All of the above.
7. Around the time of the earthquake, what does Estraven notice that Genly is repressing himself from doing?
8. When Estraven finishes calculating the rations for their winter journey, what parameters does he establish?
(a) Considering the distance is 800 miles, traveling at a rate of 21 miles a day, they have enough rations for 78 days.
(b) Considering the distance is 400 miles, traveling at a rate of 12 miles a day, they have enough rations for 30 days.
(c) Considering the trip is 800 miles, and traveling at a rate of 12 miles a day, they have enough rations for 78 days.
(d) Considering the distance is 400 miles, and they need to travel at a rate of 21 miles a day, they have enough rations for 30 days.
9. As Chapter 14 opens, what realization has Estraven come to?
(a) He realizes that the Sarf was right to have arrested Genly Ai.
(b) He realizes that he can no longer rely on Tibe.
(c) He realizes that the only two people in Mishnory he can trust are Obsle and Yegey.
(d) He has realized that he can no longer rely on his "friends" Obsle and Yegey.
10. What was the Gobrin Ice Plateau like, according to Genly's notes?
(a) A frozen lake.
(b) A frozen storm-raised ocean.
(c) A flat sheet of ice.
11. As Chapter 15 opens, where do Genly and Estraven decide to hide for the winter?
(b) Gobrin Ice.
(c) Kerm Ice.
12. In the beginning, how were the hills and valleys made?
(a) Excrement was removed from the sleepers.
(b) As the ice melted, its movement formed hills and valleys.
(c) Excrement was pulled out of the ground.
(d) Excrement was pulled out of the sun.
13. What is the name of the high priest?
14. What does Genly do in Chapter 19 that he would not allow himself to do in Chapter 16?
(a) Genly allows himself to trust Estraven.
(b) Genly stops and asks for directions.
(c) Genly breaks down and cries.
(d) Genly has sex with Estraven.
15. By the end of Chapter 16, what has happened to Estraven?
(a) He is starving himself.
(b) He has gone into kemmer.
(c) He has gone into dothe.
(d) He has lost all patience with Genly.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Estraven and Genly do when they arrive at the Bay of Guthen?
2. What happens to Genly during the first week of his arrest?
3. What does the sight of the Esherhoth Crags do for Estraven and Genly?
4. How long ago did the High Priest compose the sayings in Chapter 12?
5. Why do Genly and Estraven want to go to Sassinoth?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)