|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Estraven receives money from Genly, where does he find work?
(a) Estraven goes back to work in the icehouse, packing fish.
(b) Estraven finds work with the government.
(c) Estraven doesn't have a job.
(d) Estraven takes a job in a plastics factory.
2. What was the Gobrin Ice Plateau like, according to Genly's notes?
(b) A frozen storm-raised ocean.
(c) A flat sheet of ice.
(d) A frozen lake.
3. Did Genly accomplish, in the end, his mission to incorporate Winter into the Ekumen, according to Chapter 20?
(c) Negotiations were still ongoing as of the end of the book. We will never know.
(d) It is unclear whether or not he did.
4. What type of prisoner is Genly?
(a) Prisoner of conscience.
(b) Political prisoner.
(c) Prisoner of war.
(d) Prisoner of love.
5. Who is known as the Center of Time?
6. What happens when Genly speaks before the Thirty-Three?
(a) Obsle becomes afraid of him and cancels the reception that was scheduled for him.
(b) News of Genly finally became public knowledge in Orgoreyn.
(c) Obsle becomes convinced that Genly is a good person.
(d) Genly is deported by the Thirty-Three.
7. After Genly comes to live in Mishnory, what does Estraven find strange about how the local government is handling the presence of a First Mobile in their town?
(a) He finds it strange that Genly is being talked about in the media as if he were a celebrity.
(b) He finds it strange that Tibe's men didn't somehow follow Genly to Mishnory.
(c) He finds it strange that his association with Genly hasn't cost him his job.
(d) He finds it strange that all information pertaining to Genly is censored by the Sarf.
8. At one point, Genly finds himself alone in the dormitory with a dying inmate named Asra. What does Genly tell Asra about he people on his (Genly's) planet?
(a) He tells Asra that the people on his planet are in kemmer all the time.
(b) He tells Asra that the people on his planet never go into kemmer.
(c) He tells Asra that the people on his planet are not androgynous.
(d) He tells Asra that the people on his planet are all blond-haired and blue-eyed.
9. What do Estraven and Genly do when they arrive at the Bay of Guthen?
(a) They set off on skis.
(b) They abandon the sledge and make up backpacks.
(c) They convert the sledge to a boat.
(d) They put the wheels back on the sledge.
10. In the beginning, how were the hills and valleys made?
(a) Excrement was pulled out of the sun.
(b) Excrement was removed from the sleepers.
(c) As the ice melted, its movement formed hills and valleys.
(d) Excrement was pulled out of the ground.
11. What is the name of the Orgota religion?
12. How many of the sleepers did Edondurath kill after he woke up?
(c) None; he was the only one.
13. Why do Genly and Estraven want to go to Sassinoth?
(a) It has a transmitter, so Genly will be able to contact the Starship.
(b) It is where Agraven lives at this time of year, and they want an audience with him.
(c) It is a city of safe refuge; Estraven will be protected and not have to worry about Tibe's men.
(d) It is where Ashe is now living and Estraven wants to see him and their sons.
14. Why, after Estraven's successful pesthry hunt, does it become more difficult for him and Genly to travel for the next several days?
(a) The sledge breaks down and everything on it has be be carried by hand.
(b) A blizzard begins, lasting nine days.
(c) The weather changes from snow to rain, turning the snow to mush.
(d) Genly has constant diarrhea because the pesthry didn't agree with him.
15. What is the Karhidish religion's viewpoint on good and evil?
(a) There is only evil; there is no good.
(b) Both good and evil exist.
(c) There is neither good nor evil.
(d) There is only good; there is no evil.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Chapter 14 opens, what realization has Estraven come to?
2. When Genly and Estraven come out of Tarrenpeth Forest, a few days into their journey, what does Estraven use his previously-acquired hunting skills to trap?
3. What role does Estraven tell Genly that King Argaven will be able to play with Orgota once he receives word of Genly's capture?
4. Whom does Genly visit at the end of spring?
5. In Chapter 20, who is the first off the Star Ship after it lands?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)