|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 18, Genly and Estraven have gone through much of the provisions they started with. What do we learn that Genly and Estraven are now relying on eating for nourishment?
(a) All of the above.
(b) Pesthry and gichy-michy.
(c) Pesthry and orsh.
(d) Orsh and gichy-michy.
2. What does Chapter 17 say there was in the beginning?
(a) The Gobrin Ice.
(b) Sun and ice.
(c) Nothing--the world was without form and void.
3. What happens during Estraven and Genly's descent of Mount Dremegole?
(a) A wheel gets stuck and the axle bends.
(b) Estraven slips on a patch of ice.
(c) Genly twists his ankle.
(d) The sledge tips and they lose sixty pounds of food.
4. During the blizzard, what Earth game does Genly teach Estraven to play?
(c) Go Fish.
(d) Mah Jongg.
5. By the end of Chapter 16, how many total miles since leaving their first camp have Estraven and Genly covered?
6. What is the name of the Orgota religion?
7. What is the Orgota religion's viewpoint on good and evil?
(a) There is only good; there is no evil.
(b) There is neither good nor evil.
(c) There is only evil; there is no good.
(d) Both good and evil exist.
8. What is the Karhidish religion's viewpoint on good and evil?
(a) There is neither good nor evil.
(b) Both good and evil exist.
(c) There is only good; there is no evil.
(d) There is only evil; there is no good.
9. As Chapter 14 opens, what realization has Estraven come to?
(a) He has realized that he can no longer rely on his "friends" Obsle and Yegey.
(b) He realizes that he can no longer rely on Tibe.
(c) He realizes that the only two people in Mishnory he can trust are Obsle and Yegey.
(d) He realizes that the Sarf was right to have arrested Genly Ai.
10. After Estraven's death at the end of Chapter 19, what does Chapter 20 tell us happens to Genly?
(a) He is executed in Sassinoth.
(b) He is taken back to Karhide and imprisoned.
(c) He is taken back to Karhide and executed.
(d) He is imprisoned in Sassinoth.
11. After Estraven receives money from Genly, where does he find work?
(a) Estraven takes a job in a plastics factory.
(b) Estraven doesn't have a job.
(c) Estraven goes back to work in the icehouse, packing fish.
(d) Estraven finds work with the government.
12. In Chapter 20, who is the first off the Star Ship after it lands?
(a) A woman named Lang Heo Hew.
(b) Genly's immediate supervisor.
(c) Genly's wife.
(d) A woman named Heo Lang Hew.
13. After Genly comes to live in Mishnory, what does Estraven find strange about how the local government is handling the presence of a First Mobile in their town?
(a) He finds it strange that his association with Genly hasn't cost him his job.
(b) He finds it strange that all information pertaining to Genly is censored by the Sarf.
(c) He finds it strange that Genly is being talked about in the media as if he were a celebrity.
(d) He finds it strange that Tibe's men didn't somehow follow Genly to Mishnory.
14. What was the Gobrin Ice Plateau like, according to Genly's notes?
(a) A frozen lake.
(b) A flat sheet of ice.
(c) A frozen storm-raised ocean.
15. During his stay at the farm where Genly is being held, Estraven goes into a state of increased strength called:
Short Answer Questions
1. Who agrees to take a message on Estraven's behalf to King Argaven regarding what has happened to Genly Ai?
2. What is the name of the high priest?
3. Did Genly accomplish, in the end, his mission to incorporate Winter into the Ekumen, according to Chapter 20?
4. What do Estraven and Genly do when they arrive at the Bay of Guthen?
5. Why do Genly and Estraven want to go to Sassinoth?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)