|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 18, Genly and Estraven have gone through much of the provisions they started with. What do we learn that Genly and Estraven are now relying on eating for nourishment?
(a) Pesthry and gichy-michy.
(b) Pesthry and orsh.
(c) All of the above.
(d) Orsh and gichy-michy.
2. When Genly and other prisoners are taken from their first detention facility, what is their destination?
(a) A Commensal farm in the Kunderer Valley.
(b) The Gobrin Ice.
(c) The Pulefen Commensality Third Voluntary Farm.
(d) Kundershaden Prison.
3. How did Estraven thaw Genly's left eye when it froze shut?
(a) With warm water.
(b) With his breath and tongue.
(c) By rubbing it.
(d) With his breath.
4. In Chapter 20, who is the first off the Star Ship after it lands?
(a) Genly's wife.
(b) A woman named Lang Heo Hew.
(c) Genly's immediate supervisor.
(d) A woman named Heo Lang Hew.
5. Whom does Genly visit at the end of spring?
(a) Heo Lang Hew.
(b) The Weaver Orden.
(c) Esvans Harth ir rem Estraven, Estraven's father, and Arek, Estraven's older brother.
(d) Ashe, Estraven's former kemmering.
6. Whom does Estraven believe the people of Orgoreyn fear?
(c) Each other.
7. How long ago did the High Priest compose the sayings in Chapter 12?
(b) 900 years.
(c) 600 years.
(d) 9 years.
8. What happens when Genly speaks before the Thirty-Three?
(a) Obsle becomes convinced that Genly is a good person.
(b) Obsle becomes afraid of him and cancels the reception that was scheduled for him.
(c) Genly is deported by the Thirty-Three.
(d) News of Genly finally became public knowledge in Orgoreyn.
9. How many of the sleepers did Edondurath kill after he woke up?
(a) None; he was the only one.
10. What does the sight of the Esherhoth Crags do for Estraven and Genly?
(a) It encourages them.
(b) It causes them to realize they went the wrong way.
(c) It discourages them.
(d) It frightens them.
11. According to the Orgota creation myth, what will happen to the world at its end?
(a) The sun will devour itself and the planet will turn to a dead rock.
(b) The sun will explode and melt all the ice.
(c) The sun will devour itself, shadow will eat light, and there will once again be nothing but darkness and ice.
(d) An asteroid will hit the planet and blow it up.
12. During his stay at the farm where Genly is being held, Estraven goes into a state of increased strength called:
13. What is the Orgota religion's viewpoint on good and evil?
(a) There is neither good nor evil.
(b) There is only evil; there is no good.
(c) Both good and evil exist.
(d) There is only good; there is no evil.
14. What is the name of the high priest?
15. What was the Gobrin Ice Plateau like, according to Genly's notes?
(b) A flat sheet of ice.
(c) A frozen storm-raised ocean.
(d) A frozen lake.
Short Answer Questions
1. What role does Estraven tell Genly that King Argaven will be able to play with Orgota once he receives word of Genly's capture?
2. After Estraven's death at the end of Chapter 19, what does Chapter 20 tell us happens to Genly?
3. What does Estraven's social status change to after he receives the money from Genly?
4. In his continued arrogance, what does Genly refer to himself as, in comparison with Estraven?
5. Who agrees to take a message on Estraven's behalf to King Argaven regarding what has happened to Genly Ai?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)