|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Chapter 17 say there was in the beginning?
(b) Nothing--the world was without form and void.
(c) The Gobrin Ice.
(d) Sun and ice.
2. In the beginning, how were the hills and valleys made?
(a) Excrement was pulled out of the sun.
(b) Excrement was pulled out of the ground.
(c) Excrement was removed from the sleepers.
(d) As the ice melted, its movement formed hills and valleys.
3. What is Edondurath's house made from?
(b) The corpses of the others he had killed.
(c) Sticks and hay.
(d) Snow and ice.
4. How does Estraven succeed in freeing Genly from his captivity?
(a) He knocks Genly out and convinces the guard that Genly is dead and, therefore, must be removed from the camp for burial.
(b) He hides Genly in a trash barrel and sends him out in a garbage truck.
(c) He digs a hole underneath the perimeter fence and leads Genly to freedom.
(d) He forges orders that supposedly transfer Genly to another farm.
5. When Estraven leaves Mishnory under an assumed name and with forged papers, where does he wind up?
(a) In Karhide.
(b) In the Rotherer Fastness.
(c) Estraven is found out, and is imprisoned for forging his documents.
(d) In Ethwen.
6. After Genly's meeting with Agraven, where is the Star Ship given clearance to land?
(a) Athten Fen.
(b) Gobrin Ice.
(c) The Corner Red Dwelling.
(d) The Round-Tower Dwelling.
7. What does Estraven do with the letter he writes to his son, and why?
(a) He doesn't send it because it would condemn his son.
(b) He sends it because he misses his son.
(c) He hand delivers it to his son.
(d) He doesn't send it because he disowned his son.
8. What happens to Genly during the first week of his arrest?
(a) His passport is returned to him and he is released.
(b) He is placed on trial.
(c) He is hit on by an Orgota in kemmer.
(d) He is drugged and interrogated.
9. What happens in Orgoreyn after Agraven confronts the Commensals about what they did to Genly?
(a) Many Commensals are replaced, Yegey's party takes control, and Tibe resigns.
(b) The Commensals send assassins to kill Agraven and Tibe is appointed king.
(c) Many Commensals are replaced, Obsle's party takes control, and Tibe resigns.
(d) Many Commensals are replaced, Faxe takes control, and Tibe is executed.
10. During the blizzard, what Earth game does Genly teach Estraven to play?
(c) Mah Jongg.
(d) Go Fish.
11. Did Genly accomplish, in the end, his mission to incorporate Winter into the Ekumen, according to Chapter 20?
(a) Negotiations were still ongoing as of the end of the book. We will never know.
(c) It is unclear whether or not he did.
12. According to the Orgota creation myth, what will happen to the world at its end?
(a) The sun will devour itself, shadow will eat light, and there will once again be nothing but darkness and ice.
(b) The sun will devour itself and the planet will turn to a dead rock.
(c) The sun will explode and melt all the ice.
(d) An asteroid will hit the planet and blow it up.
13. Why do Genly and Estraven want to go to Sassinoth?
(a) It is where Agraven lives at this time of year, and they want an audience with him.
(b) It has a transmitter, so Genly will be able to contact the Starship.
(c) It is where Ashe is now living and Estraven wants to see him and their sons.
(d) It is a city of safe refuge; Estraven will be protected and not have to worry about Tibe's men.
14. What is the name of the high priest?
15. When Genly and Estraven come out of Tarrenpeth Forest, a few days into their journey, what does Estraven use his previously-acquired hunting skills to trap?
(a) Pesthry, a fox-like herbivore.
(b) Pesthry, a fox-like carnivore.
(c) Pesthry, a fox-like omnivore.
(d) Pesthry, a type of game bird.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Estraven thaw Genly's left eye when it froze shut?
2. As of the beginning of Chapter 18, for how many days had Genly and Estraven been traveling?
3. In Chapter 20, who is the first off the Star Ship after it lands?
4. How does Estraven blackmail Shusgis?
5. After Genly comes to live in Mishnory, what does Estraven find strange about how the local government is handling the presence of a First Mobile in their town?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)