|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Genly speaks before the Thirty-Three?
(a) Genly is deported by the Thirty-Three.
(b) Obsle becomes convinced that Genly is a good person.
(c) Obsle becomes afraid of him and cancels the reception that was scheduled for him.
(d) News of Genly finally became public knowledge in Orgoreyn.
2. How does Estraven succeed in freeing Genly from his captivity?
(a) He hides Genly in a trash barrel and sends him out in a garbage truck.
(b) He forges orders that supposedly transfer Genly to another farm.
(c) He digs a hole underneath the perimeter fence and leads Genly to freedom.
(d) He knocks Genly out and convinces the guard that Genly is dead and, therefore, must be removed from the camp for burial.
3. At one point, Genly finds himself alone in the dormitory with a dying inmate named Asra. What does Genly tell Asra about he people on his (Genly's) planet?
(a) He tells Asra that the people on his planet are not androgynous.
(b) He tells Asra that the people on his planet never go into kemmer.
(c) He tells Asra that the people on his planet are all blond-haired and blue-eyed.
(d) He tells Asra that the people on his planet are in kemmer all the time.
4. How many of the sleepers did Edondurath kill after he woke up?
(b) None; he was the only one.
5. Why do Genly and Estraven want to go to Sassinoth?
(a) It has a transmitter, so Genly will be able to contact the Starship.
(b) It is a city of safe refuge; Estraven will be protected and not have to worry about Tibe's men.
(c) It is where Ashe is now living and Estraven wants to see him and their sons.
(d) It is where Agraven lives at this time of year, and they want an audience with him.
6. Whom does Estraven believe the people of Orgoreyn fear?
(c) Each other.
7. What is the Karhidish religion's viewpoint on good and evil?
(a) There is only evil; there is no good.
(b) Both good and evil exist.
(c) There is only good; there is no evil.
(d) There is neither good nor evil.
8. What was the Gobrin Ice Plateau like, according to Genly's notes?
(a) A flat sheet of ice.
(b) A frozen storm-raised ocean.
(d) A frozen lake.
9. During his stay at the farm where Genly is being held, Estraven goes into a state of increased strength called:
10. What does Estraven do with the letter he writes to his son, and why?
(a) He hand delivers it to his son.
(b) He doesn't send it because he disowned his son.
(c) He sends it because he misses his son.
(d) He doesn't send it because it would condemn his son.
11. What happens during Estraven and Genly's descent of Mount Dremegole?
(a) A wheel gets stuck and the axle bends.
(b) The sledge tips and they lose sixty pounds of food.
(c) Estraven slips on a patch of ice.
(d) Genly twists his ankle.
12. During the blizzard, what Earth game does Genly teach Estraven to play?
(a) Go Fish.
(d) Mah Jongg.
13. As Chapter 15 opens, where do Genly and Estraven decide to hide for the winter?
(b) Gobrin Ice.
(c) Kerm Ice.
14. Who is known as the Center of Time?
15. What illegal (according to the Law of Cultural Embargo) skill does Genly teach Estraven?
(a) How to understand women.
(d) Interplanetary travel.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who agrees to take a message on Estraven's behalf to King Argaven regarding what has happened to Genly Ai?
2. As Chapter 14 opens, what realization has Estraven come to?
3. After Genly is captured and imprisoned in a work camp, what happens to him every five days and what is the consequence?
4. In Chapter 20, who is the first off the Star Ship after it lands?
5. When Estraven leaves Mishnory under an assumed name and with forged papers, where does he wind up?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)