|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What illegal (according to the Law of Cultural Embargo) skill does Genly teach Estraven?
(a) Interplanetary travel.
(b) How to understand women.
2. As of the beginning of Chapter 18, for how many days had Genly and Estraven been traveling?
(a) A year.
(b) 50 days.
(c) 15 days.
(d) 5 days.
3. Did Genly accomplish, in the end, his mission to incorporate Winter into the Ekumen, according to Chapter 20?
(a) It is unclear whether or not he did.
(d) Negotiations were still ongoing as of the end of the book. We will never know.
4. What was the Gobrin Ice Plateau like, according to Genly's notes?
(a) A frozen storm-raised ocean.
(b) A flat sheet of ice.
(c) A frozen lake.
5. What is the name of the first Karhidish village to which Genly and Estraven come?
6. Who agrees to take a message on Estraven's behalf to King Argaven regarding what has happened to Genly Ai?
(b) Sardon rem ir Chenewich.
(d) The Thirty-Three.
7. What happens in Orgoreyn after Agraven confronts the Commensals about what they did to Genly?
(a) Many Commensals are replaced, Faxe takes control, and Tibe is executed.
(b) The Commensals send assassins to kill Agraven and Tibe is appointed king.
(c) Many Commensals are replaced, Yegey's party takes control, and Tibe resigns.
(d) Many Commensals are replaced, Obsle's party takes control, and Tibe resigns.
8. How did Estraven thaw Genly's left eye when it froze shut?
(a) By rubbing it.
(b) With his breath and tongue.
(c) With his breath.
(d) With warm water.
9. After Genly is captured and imprisoned in a work camp, what happens to him every five days and what is the consequence?
(a) He is physically tortured; he eventually dies because of it.
(b) He is drugged and interrogated; he eventually dies because of it.
(c) He is physically tortured; he eventually becomes seriously ill because of it.
(d) He is drugged and interrogated; he eventually becomes seriously ill because of it.
10. Whom does Genly visit at the end of spring?
(a) Ashe, Estraven's former kemmering.
(b) Heo Lang Hew.
(c) Esvans Harth ir rem Estraven, Estraven's father, and Arek, Estraven's older brother.
(d) The Weaver Orden.
11. What does Genly do in Chapter 19 that he would not allow himself to do in Chapter 16?
(a) Genly has sex with Estraven.
(b) Genly allows himself to trust Estraven.
(c) Genly stops and asks for directions.
(d) Genly breaks down and cries.
12. In Chapter 18, Genly and Estraven have gone through much of the provisions they started with. What do we learn that Genly and Estraven are now relying on eating for nourishment?
(a) Pesthry and gichy-michy.
(b) Orsh and gichy-michy.
(c) Pesthry and orsh.
(d) All of the above.
13. When Estraven finishes calculating the rations for their winter journey, what parameters does he establish?
(a) Considering the distance is 400 miles, traveling at a rate of 12 miles a day, they have enough rations for 30 days.
(b) Considering the distance is 400 miles, and they need to travel at a rate of 21 miles a day, they have enough rations for 30 days.
(c) Considering the trip is 800 miles, and traveling at a rate of 12 miles a day, they have enough rations for 78 days.
(d) Considering the distance is 800 miles, traveling at a rate of 21 miles a day, they have enough rations for 78 days.
14. In Earth years, Genly is younger than 30. How old is he in Winter years?
(a) More than 120.
(c) The same age as he is on Earth.
(d) Between 150 and 200.
15. When Genly and Estraven come out of Tarrenpeth Forest, a few days into their journey, what does Estraven use his previously-acquired hunting skills to trap?
(a) Pesthry, a fox-like herbivore.
(b) Pesthry, a fox-like omnivore.
(c) Pesthry, a type of game bird.
(d) Pesthry, a fox-like carnivore.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Genly and Estraven want to go to Sassinoth?
2. How does Estraven blackmail Shusgis?
3. Why, after Estraven's successful pesthry hunt, does it become more difficult for him and Genly to travel for the next several days?
4. When Genly and other prisoners are taken from their first detention facility, what is their destination?
5. What does Estraven's social status change to after he receives the money from Genly?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)