|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By the end of Chapter 16, what has happened to Estraven?
(a) He has lost all patience with Genly.
(b) He is starving himself.
(c) He has gone into kemmer.
(d) He has gone into dothe.
2. How does Estraven blackmail Shusgis?
(a) By telling him he (Estraven) is part of a plan to assassinate Tibe.
(b) By telling him that he (Estraven) was asked to assassinate him, but would rather protect him instead.
(c) By telling him he (Estraven) is part of a plan to assassinate Obsle and Yegey.
(d) By telling him he (Estraven) is part of a plan to assassinate Genly Ai.
3. What type of prisoner is Genly?
(a) Prisoner of love.
(b) Prisoner of war.
(c) Political prisoner.
(d) Prisoner of conscience.
4. Around the time of the earthquake, what does Estraven notice that Genly is repressing himself from doing?
5. When Estraven finishes calculating the rations for their winter journey, what parameters does he establish?
(a) Considering the distance is 400 miles, traveling at a rate of 12 miles a day, they have enough rations for 30 days.
(b) Considering the trip is 800 miles, and traveling at a rate of 12 miles a day, they have enough rations for 78 days.
(c) Considering the distance is 800 miles, traveling at a rate of 21 miles a day, they have enough rations for 78 days.
(d) Considering the distance is 400 miles, and they need to travel at a rate of 21 miles a day, they have enough rations for 30 days.
6. How long ago did the High Priest compose the sayings in Chapter 12?
(a) 9 years.
(b) 600 years.
(d) 900 years.
7. After Estraven receives money from Genly, where does he find work?
(a) Estraven doesn't have a job.
(b) Estraven takes a job in a plastics factory.
(c) Estraven finds work with the government.
(d) Estraven goes back to work in the icehouse, packing fish.
8. On what day of their trip do Genly and Estraven eventually arrive in Karhide?
(a) The 18th day.
(b) The 100th day.
(c) The 51st day.
(d) The 81st day.
9. When Genly and other prisoners are taken from their first detention facility, what is their destination?
(a) A Commensal farm in the Kunderer Valley.
(b) Kundershaden Prison.
(c) The Pulefen Commensality Third Voluntary Farm.
(d) The Gobrin Ice.
10. Why do Genly and Estraven want to go to Sassinoth?
(a) It is a city of safe refuge; Estraven will be protected and not have to worry about Tibe's men.
(b) It has a transmitter, so Genly will be able to contact the Starship.
(c) It is where Ashe is now living and Estraven wants to see him and their sons.
(d) It is where Agraven lives at this time of year, and they want an audience with him.
11. Did Genly accomplish, in the end, his mission to incorporate Winter into the Ekumen, according to Chapter 20?
(a) It is unclear whether or not he did.
(b) Negotiations were still ongoing as of the end of the book. We will never know.
12. In Chapter 18, Genly and Estraven have gone through much of the provisions they started with. What do we learn that Genly and Estraven are now relying on eating for nourishment?
(a) Orsh and gichy-michy.
(b) All of the above.
(c) Pesthry and gichy-michy.
(d) Pesthry and orsh.
13. What is the name of the Orgota religion?
14. During his stay at the farm where Genly is being held, Estraven goes into a state of increased strength called:
15. At one point, Genly finds himself alone in the dormitory with a dying inmate named Asra. What does Genly tell Asra about he people on his (Genly's) planet?
(a) He tells Asra that the people on his planet never go into kemmer.
(b) He tells Asra that the people on his planet are in kemmer all the time.
(c) He tells Asra that the people on his planet are all blond-haired and blue-eyed.
(d) He tells Asra that the people on his planet are not androgynous.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Genly speaks before the Thirty-Three?
2. In the beginning, how were the hills and valleys made?
3. After Genly comes to live in Mishnory, what does Estraven find strange about how the local government is handling the presence of a First Mobile in their town?
4. What does Estraven's social status change to after he receives the money from Genly?
5. As Chapter 14 opens, what realization has Estraven come to?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)