|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Genly shortly after Estraven reappears in Chapter 11 to warn him?
(a) He is arrested and sentenced to death.
(b) He is arrested and taken to Kundershaden Prison.
(c) He is arrested and deported to Karhide.
(d) He is arrested and taken to the Pulefen Commensality Farm.
2. Whom does Genly visit at the end of spring?
(a) Heo Lang Hew.
(b) The Weaver Orden.
(c) Ashe, Estraven's former kemmering.
(d) Esvans Harth ir rem Estraven, Estraven's father, and Arek, Estraven's older brother.
3. What illegal (according to the Law of Cultural Embargo) skill does Genly teach Estraven?
(a) How to understand women.
(b) Interplanetary travel.
4. What does Genly do in Chapter 19 that he would not allow himself to do in Chapter 16?
(a) Genly breaks down and cries.
(b) Genly has sex with Estraven.
(c) Genly stops and asks for directions.
(d) Genly allows himself to trust Estraven.
5. After Genly is captured and imprisoned in a work camp, what happens to him every five days and what is the consequence?
(a) He is physically tortured; he eventually dies because of it.
(b) He is drugged and interrogated; he eventually dies because of it.
(c) He is physically tortured; he eventually becomes seriously ill because of it.
(d) He is drugged and interrogated; he eventually becomes seriously ill because of it.
6. What happens in Orgoreyn after Agraven confronts the Commensals about what they did to Genly?
(a) Many Commensals are replaced, Faxe takes control, and Tibe is executed.
(b) Many Commensals are replaced, Yegey's party takes control, and Tibe resigns.
(c) The Commensals send assassins to kill Agraven and Tibe is appointed king.
(d) Many Commensals are replaced, Obsle's party takes control, and Tibe resigns.
7. When Genly and other prisoners are taken from their first detention facility, what is their destination?
(a) A Commensal farm in the Kunderer Valley.
(b) The Pulefen Commensality Third Voluntary Farm.
(c) The Gobrin Ice.
(d) Kundershaden Prison.
8. What role does Estraven tell Genly that King Argaven will be able to play with Orgota once he receives word of Genly's capture?
(c) First Mobile.
9. What does Estraven's social status change to after he receives the money from Genly?
(a) Dependent, meaning he is able to support himself.
(b) Dependent, meaning he can't support himself.
(c) Unit, meaning he can't support himself.
(d) Unit, meaning he is able to support himself.
10. When Estraven leaves Mishnory under an assumed name and with forged papers, where does he wind up?
(a) In Karhide.
(b) Estraven is found out, and is imprisoned for forging his documents.
(c) In Ethwen.
(d) In the Rotherer Fastness.
11. Whom does Estraven believe the people of Orgoreyn fear?
(c) Each other.
12. In the beginning, how were the hills and valleys made?
(a) Excrement was removed from the sleepers.
(b) Excrement was pulled out of the sun.
(c) Excrement was pulled out of the ground.
(d) As the ice melted, its movement formed hills and valleys.
13. How did Estraven thaw Genly's left eye when it froze shut?
(a) By rubbing it.
(b) With his breath and tongue.
(c) With warm water.
(d) With his breath.
14. What is Edondurath's house made from?
(a) Snow and ice.
(c) The corpses of the others he had killed.
(d) Sticks and hay.
15. When Estraven finishes calculating the rations for their winter journey, what parameters does he establish?
(a) Considering the distance is 400 miles, traveling at a rate of 12 miles a day, they have enough rations for 30 days.
(b) Considering the distance is 800 miles, traveling at a rate of 21 miles a day, they have enough rations for 78 days.
(c) Considering the trip is 800 miles, and traveling at a rate of 12 miles a day, they have enough rations for 78 days.
(d) Considering the distance is 400 miles, and they need to travel at a rate of 21 miles a day, they have enough rations for 30 days.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his continued arrogance, what does Genly refer to himself as, in comparison with Estraven?
2. On what day of their trip do Genly and Estraven eventually arrive in Karhide?
3. According to the Orgota creation myth, what will happen to the world at its end?
4. At one point, Genly finds himself alone in the dormitory with a dying inmate named Asra. What does Genly tell Asra about he people on his (Genly's) planet?
5. What does Chapter 17 say there was in the beginning?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)