|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Karhidish religion's viewpoint on good and evil?
(a) Both good and evil exist.
(b) There is only evil; there is no good.
(c) There is only good; there is no evil.
(d) There is neither good nor evil.
2. After Genly's meeting with Agraven, where is the Star Ship given clearance to land?
(a) Gobrin Ice.
(b) The Round-Tower Dwelling.
(c) Athten Fen.
(d) The Corner Red Dwelling.
3. As Chapter 15 opens, where do Genly and Estraven decide to hide for the winter?
(b) Gobrin Ice.
(d) Kerm Ice.
4. Whom does Genly visit at the end of spring?
(a) Ashe, Estraven's former kemmering.
(b) Esvans Harth ir rem Estraven, Estraven's father, and Arek, Estraven's older brother.
(c) The Weaver Orden.
(d) Heo Lang Hew.
5. What happens when Genly speaks before the Thirty-Three?
(a) News of Genly finally became public knowledge in Orgoreyn.
(b) Obsle becomes afraid of him and cancels the reception that was scheduled for him.
(c) Genly is deported by the Thirty-Three.
(d) Obsle becomes convinced that Genly is a good person.
6. In the beginning, how were the hills and valleys made?
(a) Excrement was removed from the sleepers.
(b) Excrement was pulled out of the sun.
(c) Excrement was pulled out of the ground.
(d) As the ice melted, its movement formed hills and valleys.
7. What do Estraven and Genly do when they arrive at the Bay of Guthen?
(a) They put the wheels back on the sledge.
(b) They set off on skis.
(c) They convert the sledge to a boat.
(d) They abandon the sledge and make up backpacks.
8. When Genly and Estraven come out of Tarrenpeth Forest, a few days into their journey, what does Estraven use his previously-acquired hunting skills to trap?
(a) Pesthry, a type of game bird.
(b) Pesthry, a fox-like carnivore.
(c) Pesthry, a fox-like herbivore.
(d) Pesthry, a fox-like omnivore.
9. In Earth years, Genly is younger than 30. How old is he in Winter years?
(a) Between 150 and 200.
(c) More than 120.
(d) The same age as he is on Earth.
10. By the end of Chapter 16, how many total miles since leaving their first camp have Estraven and Genly covered?
11. Whom does Estraven believe the people of Orgoreyn fear?
(a) Each other.
12. Around the time of the earthquake, what does Estraven notice that Genly is repressing himself from doing?
13. As Chapter 14 opens, what realization has Estraven come to?
(a) He realizes that the only two people in Mishnory he can trust are Obsle and Yegey.
(b) He has realized that he can no longer rely on his "friends" Obsle and Yegey.
(c) He realizes that he can no longer rely on Tibe.
(d) He realizes that the Sarf was right to have arrested Genly Ai.
14. During his stay at the farm where Genly is being held, Estraven goes into a state of increased strength called:
15. What happens during Estraven and Genly's descent of Mount Dremegole?
(a) Genly twists his ankle.
(b) The sledge tips and they lose sixty pounds of food.
(c) Estraven slips on a patch of ice.
(d) A wheel gets stuck and the axle bends.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Genly do in Chapter 19 that he would not allow himself to do in Chapter 16?
2. In his continued arrogance, what does Genly refer to himself as, in comparison with Estraven?
3. By the end of Chapter 16, what has happened to Estraven?
4. Who agrees to take a message on Estraven's behalf to King Argaven regarding what has happened to Genly Ai?
5. What does Estraven's social status change to after he receives the money from Genly?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)