|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the Orgota creation myth, what will happen to the world at its end?
(a) The sun will devour itself and the planet will turn to a dead rock.
(b) The sun will devour itself, shadow will eat light, and there will once again be nothing but darkness and ice.
(c) An asteroid will hit the planet and blow it up.
(d) The sun will explode and melt all the ice.
2. What illegal (according to the Law of Cultural Embargo) skill does Genly teach Estraven?
(a) Interplanetary travel.
(b) How to understand women.
3. How many of the sleepers did Edondurath kill after he woke up?
(d) None; he was the only one.
4. When Genly and other prisoners are taken from their first detention facility, what is their destination?
(a) The Pulefen Commensality Third Voluntary Farm.
(b) Kundershaden Prison.
(c) The Gobrin Ice.
(d) A Commensal farm in the Kunderer Valley.
5. What happens in Orgoreyn after Agraven confronts the Commensals about what they did to Genly?
(a) Many Commensals are replaced, Yegey's party takes control, and Tibe resigns.
(b) Many Commensals are replaced, Obsle's party takes control, and Tibe resigns.
(c) Many Commensals are replaced, Faxe takes control, and Tibe is executed.
(d) The Commensals send assassins to kill Agraven and Tibe is appointed king.
6. What is the Orgota religion's viewpoint on good and evil?
(a) Both good and evil exist.
(b) There is only good; there is no evil.
(c) There is neither good nor evil.
(d) There is only evil; there is no good.
7. In the beginning, how were the hills and valleys made?
(a) Excrement was pulled out of the ground.
(b) Excrement was pulled out of the sun.
(c) As the ice melted, its movement formed hills and valleys.
(d) Excrement was removed from the sleepers.
8. After Genly is captured and imprisoned in a work camp, what happens to him every five days and what is the consequence?
(a) He is physically tortured; he eventually becomes seriously ill because of it.
(b) He is drugged and interrogated; he eventually dies because of it.
(c) He is physically tortured; he eventually dies because of it.
(d) He is drugged and interrogated; he eventually becomes seriously ill because of it.
9. Who is known as the Center of Time?
10. What does Estraven do with the letter he writes to his son, and why?
(a) He doesn't send it because it would condemn his son.
(b) He hand delivers it to his son.
(c) He doesn't send it because he disowned his son.
(d) He sends it because he misses his son.
11. As of the beginning of Chapter 18, for how many days had Genly and Estraven been traveling?
(a) 5 days.
(b) 15 days.
(c) 50 days.
(d) A year.
12. In his continued arrogance, what does Genly refer to himself as, in comparison with Estraven?
(a) He considers himself an owl and Estraven a pigeon.
(b) He considers himself a mule and Estraven a stallion.
(c) He considers himself a stallion and Estraven a pesthry.
(d) He considers himself a stallion and Estraven a mule.
13. What does Genly do in Chapter 19 that he would not allow himself to do in Chapter 16?
(a) Genly has sex with Estraven.
(b) Genly breaks down and cries.
(c) Genly stops and asks for directions.
(d) Genly allows himself to trust Estraven.
14. How long ago did the High Priest compose the sayings in Chapter 12?
(a) 900 years.
(c) 600 years.
(d) 9 years.
15. After Genly's meeting with Agraven, where is the Star Ship given clearance to land?
(a) The Round-Tower Dwelling.
(b) Athten Fen.
(c) Gobrin Ice.
(d) The Corner Red Dwelling.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the first Karhidish village to which Genly and Estraven come?
2. Why, after Estraven's successful pesthry hunt, does it become more difficult for him and Genly to travel for the next several days?
3. What role does Estraven tell Genly that King Argaven will be able to play with Orgota once he receives word of Genly's capture?
4. When Estraven leaves Mishnory under an assumed name and with forged papers, where does he wind up?
5. What was the Gobrin Ice Plateau like, according to Genly's notes?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)