|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Genly's meeting with Agraven, where is the Star Ship given clearance to land?
(a) The Round-Tower Dwelling.
(b) Athten Fen.
(c) Gobrin Ice.
(d) The Corner Red Dwelling.
2. During the blizzard, what Earth game does Genly teach Estraven to play?
(a) Mah Jongg.
(b) Go Fish.
3. At one point, Genly finds himself alone in the dormitory with a dying inmate named Asra. What does Genly tell Asra about he people on his (Genly's) planet?
(a) He tells Asra that the people on his planet are all blond-haired and blue-eyed.
(b) He tells Asra that the people on his planet are in kemmer all the time.
(c) He tells Asra that the people on his planet never go into kemmer.
(d) He tells Asra that the people on his planet are not androgynous.
4. What happens when Genly speaks before the Thirty-Three?
(a) Obsle becomes convinced that Genly is a good person.
(b) Obsle becomes afraid of him and cancels the reception that was scheduled for him.
(c) News of Genly finally became public knowledge in Orgoreyn.
(d) Genly is deported by the Thirty-Three.
5. How does Estraven blackmail Shusgis?
(a) By telling him he (Estraven) is part of a plan to assassinate Genly Ai.
(b) By telling him that he (Estraven) was asked to assassinate him, but would rather protect him instead.
(c) By telling him he (Estraven) is part of a plan to assassinate Obsle and Yegey.
(d) By telling him he (Estraven) is part of a plan to assassinate Tibe.
6. When Genly and other prisoners are taken from their first detention facility, what is their destination?
(a) The Gobrin Ice.
(b) The Pulefen Commensality Third Voluntary Farm.
(c) A Commensal farm in the Kunderer Valley.
(d) Kundershaden Prison.
7. According to the Orgota creation myth, what will happen to the world at its end?
(a) The sun will devour itself and the planet will turn to a dead rock.
(b) The sun will explode and melt all the ice.
(c) The sun will devour itself, shadow will eat light, and there will once again be nothing but darkness and ice.
(d) An asteroid will hit the planet and blow it up.
8. What happens in Orgoreyn after Agraven confronts the Commensals about what they did to Genly?
(a) Many Commensals are replaced, Obsle's party takes control, and Tibe resigns.
(b) The Commensals send assassins to kill Agraven and Tibe is appointed king.
(c) Many Commensals are replaced, Faxe takes control, and Tibe is executed.
(d) Many Commensals are replaced, Yegey's party takes control, and Tibe resigns.
9. By the end of Chapter 16, how many total miles since leaving their first camp have Estraven and Genly covered?
10. What does the sight of the Esherhoth Crags do for Estraven and Genly?
(a) It causes them to realize they went the wrong way.
(b) It frightens them.
(c) It discourages them.
(d) It encourages them.
11. In his continued arrogance, what does Genly refer to himself as, in comparison with Estraven?
(a) He considers himself an owl and Estraven a pigeon.
(b) He considers himself a stallion and Estraven a mule.
(c) He considers himself a stallion and Estraven a pesthry.
(d) He considers himself a mule and Estraven a stallion.
12. Whom does Estraven believe the people of Orgoreyn fear?
(c) Each other.
13. What happens to Genly during the first week of his arrest?
(a) His passport is returned to him and he is released.
(b) He is drugged and interrogated.
(c) He is placed on trial.
(d) He is hit on by an Orgota in kemmer.
14. When Estraven finishes calculating the rations for their winter journey, what parameters does he establish?
(a) Considering the distance is 800 miles, traveling at a rate of 21 miles a day, they have enough rations for 78 days.
(b) Considering the trip is 800 miles, and traveling at a rate of 12 miles a day, they have enough rations for 78 days.
(c) Considering the distance is 400 miles, and they need to travel at a rate of 21 miles a day, they have enough rations for 30 days.
(d) Considering the distance is 400 miles, traveling at a rate of 12 miles a day, they have enough rations for 30 days.
15. How long ago did the High Priest compose the sayings in Chapter 12?
(a) 600 years.
(b) 900 years.
(d) 9 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. Did Genly accomplish, in the end, his mission to incorporate Winter into the Ekumen, according to Chapter 20?
2. When Genly and Estraven come out of Tarrenpeth Forest, a few days into their journey, what does Estraven use his previously-acquired hunting skills to trap?
3. By the end of Chapter 16, what has happened to Estraven?
4. What is the name of the Orgota religion?
5. On what day of their trip do Genly and Estraven eventually arrive in Karhide?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)