|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Estraven succeed in freeing Genly from his captivity?
(a) He forges orders that supposedly transfer Genly to another farm.
(b) He knocks Genly out and convinces the guard that Genly is dead and, therefore, must be removed from the camp for burial.
(c) He hides Genly in a trash barrel and sends him out in a garbage truck.
(d) He digs a hole underneath the perimeter fence and leads Genly to freedom.
2. As Chapter 15 opens, where do Genly and Estraven decide to hide for the winter?
(b) Gobrin Ice.
(d) Kerm Ice.
3. After Estraven receives money from Genly, where does he find work?
(a) Estraven takes a job in a plastics factory.
(b) Estraven finds work with the government.
(c) Estraven goes back to work in the icehouse, packing fish.
(d) Estraven doesn't have a job.
4. What does Estraven's social status change to after he receives the money from Genly?
(a) Unit, meaning he is able to support himself.
(b) Unit, meaning he can't support himself.
(c) Dependent, meaning he can't support himself.
(d) Dependent, meaning he is able to support himself.
5. How does Estraven blackmail Shusgis?
(a) By telling him he (Estraven) is part of a plan to assassinate Obsle and Yegey.
(b) By telling him that he (Estraven) was asked to assassinate him, but would rather protect him instead.
(c) By telling him he (Estraven) is part of a plan to assassinate Tibe.
(d) By telling him he (Estraven) is part of a plan to assassinate Genly Ai.
6. In his continued arrogance, what does Genly refer to himself as, in comparison with Estraven?
(a) He considers himself an owl and Estraven a pigeon.
(b) He considers himself a stallion and Estraven a mule.
(c) He considers himself a mule and Estraven a stallion.
(d) He considers himself a stallion and Estraven a pesthry.
7. According to the Orgota creation myth, how many men were created?
(c) 2, one male and one female.
8. What happens when Genly speaks before the Thirty-Three?
(a) Obsle becomes afraid of him and cancels the reception that was scheduled for him.
(b) Obsle becomes convinced that Genly is a good person.
(c) Genly is deported by the Thirty-Three.
(d) News of Genly finally became public knowledge in Orgoreyn.
9. When Genly and Estraven come out of Tarrenpeth Forest, a few days into their journey, what does Estraven use his previously-acquired hunting skills to trap?
(a) Pesthry, a type of game bird.
(b) Pesthry, a fox-like carnivore.
(c) Pesthry, a fox-like herbivore.
(d) Pesthry, a fox-like omnivore.
10. After Estraven's death at the end of Chapter 19, what does Chapter 20 tell us happens to Genly?
(a) He is imprisoned in Sassinoth.
(b) He is executed in Sassinoth.
(c) He is taken back to Karhide and executed.
(d) He is taken back to Karhide and imprisoned.
11. When Estraven leaves Mishnory under an assumed name and with forged papers, where does he wind up?
(a) Estraven is found out, and is imprisoned for forging his documents.
(b) In the Rotherer Fastness.
(c) In Karhide.
(d) In Ethwen.
12. What happens during Estraven and Genly's descent of Mount Dremegole?
(a) A wheel gets stuck and the axle bends.
(b) The sledge tips and they lose sixty pounds of food.
(c) Genly twists his ankle.
(d) Estraven slips on a patch of ice.
13. In Earth years, Genly is younger than 30. How old is he in Winter years?
(a) Between 150 and 200.
(b) More than 120.
(d) The same age as he is on Earth.
14. What is the Karhidish religion's viewpoint on good and evil?
(a) There is only good; there is no evil.
(b) There is only evil; there is no good.
(c) Both good and evil exist.
(d) There is neither good nor evil.
15. What happens in Orgoreyn after Agraven confronts the Commensals about what they did to Genly?
(a) Many Commensals are replaced, Obsle's party takes control, and Tibe resigns.
(b) Many Commensals are replaced, Yegey's party takes control, and Tibe resigns.
(c) The Commensals send assassins to kill Agraven and Tibe is appointed king.
(d) Many Commensals are replaced, Faxe takes control, and Tibe is executed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the first Karhidish village to which Genly and Estraven come?
2. In Chapter 18, Genly and Estraven have gone through much of the provisions they started with. What do we learn that Genly and Estraven are now relying on eating for nourishment?
3. How did Estraven thaw Genly's left eye when it froze shut?
4. What does Estraven do with the letter he writes to his son, and why?
5. After Genly's meeting with Agraven, where is the Star Ship given clearance to land?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)