|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By the end of Chapter 16, what has happened to Estraven?
(a) He has gone into dothe.
(b) He has lost all patience with Genly.
(c) He has gone into kemmer.
(d) He is starving himself.
2. What is the Karhidish religion's viewpoint on good and evil?
(a) There is only evil; there is no good.
(b) There is neither good nor evil.
(c) Both good and evil exist.
(d) There is only good; there is no evil.
3. After Genly comes to live in Mishnory, what does Estraven find strange about how the local government is handling the presence of a First Mobile in their town?
(a) He finds it strange that Genly is being talked about in the media as if he were a celebrity.
(b) He finds it strange that his association with Genly hasn't cost him his job.
(c) He finds it strange that Tibe's men didn't somehow follow Genly to Mishnory.
(d) He finds it strange that all information pertaining to Genly is censored by the Sarf.
4. What is the name of the high priest?
5. How does Estraven succeed in freeing Genly from his captivity?
(a) He knocks Genly out and convinces the guard that Genly is dead and, therefore, must be removed from the camp for burial.
(b) He digs a hole underneath the perimeter fence and leads Genly to freedom.
(c) He hides Genly in a trash barrel and sends him out in a garbage truck.
(d) He forges orders that supposedly transfer Genly to another farm.
6. What does Chapter 17 say there was in the beginning?
(a) The Gobrin Ice.
(b) Sun and ice.
(c) Nothing--the world was without form and void.
7. What is the Orgota religion's viewpoint on good and evil?
(a) There is only evil; there is no good.
(b) There is only good; there is no evil.
(c) There is neither good nor evil.
(d) Both good and evil exist.
8. After Estraven's death at the end of Chapter 19, what does Chapter 20 tell us happens to Genly?
(a) He is taken back to Karhide and executed.
(b) He is imprisoned in Sassinoth.
(c) He is taken back to Karhide and imprisoned.
(d) He is executed in Sassinoth.
9. What illegal (according to the Law of Cultural Embargo) skill does Genly teach Estraven?
(a) Interplanetary travel.
(b) How to understand women.
10. After Estraven receives money from Genly, where does he find work?
(a) Estraven goes back to work in the icehouse, packing fish.
(b) Estraven takes a job in a plastics factory.
(c) Estraven doesn't have a job.
(d) Estraven finds work with the government.
11. According to the Orgota creation myth, what will happen to the world at its end?
(a) The sun will devour itself, shadow will eat light, and there will once again be nothing but darkness and ice.
(b) An asteroid will hit the planet and blow it up.
(c) The sun will devour itself and the planet will turn to a dead rock.
(d) The sun will explode and melt all the ice.
12. Who is known as the Center of Time?
13. At one point, Genly finds himself alone in the dormitory with a dying inmate named Asra. What does Genly tell Asra about he people on his (Genly's) planet?
(a) He tells Asra that the people on his planet are all blond-haired and blue-eyed.
(b) He tells Asra that the people on his planet are not androgynous.
(c) He tells Asra that the people on his planet are in kemmer all the time.
(d) He tells Asra that the people on his planet never go into kemmer.
14. As of the beginning of Chapter 18, for how many days had Genly and Estraven been traveling?
(a) 5 days.
(b) 15 days.
(c) 50 days.
(d) A year.
15. What role does Estraven tell Genly that King Argaven will be able to play with Orgota once he receives word of Genly's capture?
(c) First Mobile.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 20, who is the first off the Star Ship after it lands?
2. Who agrees to take a message on Estraven's behalf to King Argaven regarding what has happened to Genly Ai?
3. By the end of Chapter 16, how many total miles since leaving their first camp have Estraven and Genly covered?
4. In his continued arrogance, what does Genly refer to himself as, in comparison with Estraven?
5. What happens when Genly speaks before the Thirty-Three?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)