|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Estraven acquire the initial supplies and food for the winter journey?
(a) He steals them in Turuf.
(b) He goes hunting.
(c) He acquires them before freeing Genly and hides them for later access.
(d) He buys them in Turuf.
2. Who is known as the Center of Time?
3. After Genly is captured and imprisoned in a work camp, what happens to him every five days and what is the consequence?
(a) He is physically tortured; he eventually becomes seriously ill because of it.
(b) He is drugged and interrogated; he eventually becomes seriously ill because of it.
(c) He is drugged and interrogated; he eventually dies because of it.
(d) He is physically tortured; he eventually dies because of it.
4. Why, after Estraven's successful pesthry hunt, does it become more difficult for him and Genly to travel for the next several days?
(a) Genly has constant diarrhea because the pesthry didn't agree with him.
(b) The weather changes from snow to rain, turning the snow to mush.
(c) A blizzard begins, lasting nine days.
(d) The sledge breaks down and everything on it has be be carried by hand.
5. In his continued arrogance, what does Genly refer to himself as, in comparison with Estraven?
(a) He considers himself an owl and Estraven a pigeon.
(b) He considers himself a stallion and Estraven a pesthry.
(c) He considers himself a stallion and Estraven a mule.
(d) He considers himself a mule and Estraven a stallion.
6. In Chapter 20, who is the first off the Star Ship after it lands?
(a) Genly's wife.
(b) A woman named Lang Heo Hew.
(c) A woman named Heo Lang Hew.
(d) Genly's immediate supervisor.
7. As Chapter 15 opens, where do Genly and Estraven decide to hide for the winter?
(a) Gobrin Ice.
(b) Kerm Ice.
8. What illegal (according to the Law of Cultural Embargo) skill does Genly teach Estraven?
(a) How to understand women.
(d) Interplanetary travel.
9. By the end of Chapter 16, how many total miles since leaving their first camp have Estraven and Genly covered?
10. In Chapter 18, Genly and Estraven have gone through much of the provisions they started with. What do we learn that Genly and Estraven are now relying on eating for nourishment?
(a) Orsh and gichy-michy.
(b) Pesthry and gichy-michy.
(c) All of the above.
(d) Pesthry and orsh.
11. What is the name of the Orgota religion?
12. As Chapter 14 opens, what realization has Estraven come to?
(a) He realizes that the only two people in Mishnory he can trust are Obsle and Yegey.
(b) He has realized that he can no longer rely on his "friends" Obsle and Yegey.
(c) He realizes that the Sarf was right to have arrested Genly Ai.
(d) He realizes that he can no longer rely on Tibe.
13. What is Edondurath's house made from?
(a) Sticks and hay.
(b) Snow and ice.
(d) The corpses of the others he had killed.
14. In the beginning, how were the hills and valleys made?
(a) Excrement was removed from the sleepers.
(b) Excrement was pulled out of the sun.
(c) As the ice melted, its movement formed hills and valleys.
(d) Excrement was pulled out of the ground.
15. After Genly comes to live in Mishnory, what does Estraven find strange about how the local government is handling the presence of a First Mobile in their town?
(a) He finds it strange that Genly is being talked about in the media as if he were a celebrity.
(b) He finds it strange that all information pertaining to Genly is censored by the Sarf.
(c) He finds it strange that his association with Genly hasn't cost him his job.
(d) He finds it strange that Tibe's men didn't somehow follow Genly to Mishnory.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long ago did the High Priest compose the sayings in Chapter 12?
2. When Estraven leaves Mishnory under an assumed name and with forged papers, where does he wind up?
3. According to the Orgota creation myth, what will happen to the world at its end?
4. After Estraven's death at the end of Chapter 19, what does Chapter 20 tell us happens to Genly?
5. What do Estraven and Genly do when they arrive at the Bay of Guthen?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)