Final Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Karhidish religion's viewpoint on good and evil?
(a) Both good and evil exist.
(b) There is only evil; there is no good.
(c) There is neither good nor evil.
(d) There is only good; there is no evil.
2. By the end of Chapter 16, how many total miles since leaving their first camp have Estraven and Genly covered?
3. What does Estraven do with the letter he writes to his son, and why?
(a) He hand delivers it to his son.
(b) He doesn't send it because he disowned his son.
(c) He sends it because he misses his son.
(d) He doesn't send it because it would condemn his son.
4. As Chapter 15 opens, where do Genly and Estraven decide to hide for the winter?
(b) Kerm Ice.
(c) Gobrin Ice.
5. When Estraven finishes calculating the rations for their winter journey, what parameters does he establish?
(a) Considering the distance is 400 miles, and they need to travel at a rate of 21 miles a day, they have enough rations for 30 days.
(b) Considering the trip is 800 miles, and traveling at a rate of 12 miles a day, they have enough rations for 78 days.
(c) Considering the distance is 400 miles, traveling at a rate of 12 miles a day, they have enough rations for 30 days.
(d) Considering the distance is 800 miles, traveling at a rate of 21 miles a day, they have enough rations for 78 days.
6. What happens to Genly shortly after Estraven reappears in Chapter 11 to warn him?
(a) He is arrested and taken to Kundershaden Prison.
(b) He is arrested and taken to the Pulefen Commensality Farm.
(c) He is arrested and sentenced to death.
(d) He is arrested and deported to Karhide.
7. What illegal (according to the Law of Cultural Embargo) skill does Genly teach Estraven?
(b) How to understand women.
(d) Interplanetary travel.
8. How does Estraven succeed in freeing Genly from his captivity?
(a) He hides Genly in a trash barrel and sends him out in a garbage truck.
(b) He digs a hole underneath the perimeter fence and leads Genly to freedom.
(c) He forges orders that supposedly transfer Genly to another farm.
(d) He knocks Genly out and convinces the guard that Genly is dead and, therefore, must be removed from the camp for burial.
9. In Chapter 18, Genly and Estraven have gone through much of the provisions they started with. What do we learn that Genly and Estraven are now relying on eating for nourishment?
(a) All of the above.
(b) Orsh and gichy-michy.
(c) Pesthry and orsh.
(d) Pesthry and gichy-michy.
10. In Earth years, Genly is younger than 30. How old is he in Winter years?
(a) The same age as he is on Earth.
(c) Between 150 and 200.
(d) More than 120.
11. How does Estraven acquire the initial supplies and food for the winter journey?
(a) He goes hunting.
(b) He buys them in Turuf.
(c) He acquires them before freeing Genly and hides them for later access.
(d) He steals them in Turuf.
12. After Estraven receives money from Genly, where does he find work?
(a) Estraven takes a job in a plastics factory.
(b) Estraven goes back to work in the icehouse, packing fish.
(c) Estraven doesn't have a job.
(d) Estraven finds work with the government.
13. When Genly and Estraven come out of Tarrenpeth Forest, a few days into their journey, what does Estraven use his previously-acquired hunting skills to trap?
(a) Pesthry, a type of game bird.
(b) Pesthry, a fox-like carnivore.
(c) Pesthry, a fox-like herbivore.
(d) Pesthry, a fox-like omnivore.
14. When Genly and other prisoners are taken from their first detention facility, what is their destination?
(a) The Gobrin Ice.
(b) The Pulefen Commensality Third Voluntary Farm.
(c) A Commensal farm in the Kunderer Valley.
(d) Kundershaden Prison.
15. According to the Orgota creation myth, what will happen to the world at its end?
(a) The sun will explode and melt all the ice.
(b) The sun will devour itself, shadow will eat light, and there will once again be nothing but darkness and ice.
(c) An asteroid will hit the planet and blow it up.
(d) The sun will devour itself and the planet will turn to a dead rock.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Genly do in Chapter 19 that he would not allow himself to do in Chapter 16?
2. Why, after Estraven's successful pesthry hunt, does it become more difficult for him and Genly to travel for the next several days?
3. During his stay at the farm where Genly is being held, Estraven goes into a state of increased strength called:
4. What role does Estraven tell Genly that King Argaven will be able to play with Orgota once he receives word of Genly's capture?
5. Around the time of the earthquake, what does Estraven notice that Genly is repressing himself from doing?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)