|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the Gobrin Ice Plateau like, according to Genly's notes?
(a) A frozen lake.
(b) A flat sheet of ice.
(d) A frozen storm-raised ocean.
2. What does Estraven's social status change to after he receives the money from Genly?
(a) Unit, meaning he is able to support himself.
(b) Dependent, meaning he is able to support himself.
(c) Unit, meaning he can't support himself.
(d) Dependent, meaning he can't support himself.
3. What happens to Genly shortly after Estraven reappears in Chapter 11 to warn him?
(a) He is arrested and sentenced to death.
(b) He is arrested and taken to Kundershaden Prison.
(c) He is arrested and taken to the Pulefen Commensality Farm.
(d) He is arrested and deported to Karhide.
4. What happens during Estraven and Genly's descent of Mount Dremegole?
(a) The sledge tips and they lose sixty pounds of food.
(b) Genly twists his ankle.
(c) A wheel gets stuck and the axle bends.
(d) Estraven slips on a patch of ice.
5. What does Genly do in Chapter 19 that he would not allow himself to do in Chapter 16?
(a) Genly stops and asks for directions.
(b) Genly has sex with Estraven.
(c) Genly allows himself to trust Estraven.
(d) Genly breaks down and cries.
6. As Chapter 14 opens, what realization has Estraven come to?
(a) He realizes that he can no longer rely on Tibe.
(b) He realizes that the only two people in Mishnory he can trust are Obsle and Yegey.
(c) He has realized that he can no longer rely on his "friends" Obsle and Yegey.
(d) He realizes that the Sarf was right to have arrested Genly Ai.
7. What is the name of the Orgota religion?
8. What is the Orgota religion's viewpoint on good and evil?
(a) There is only evil; there is no good.
(b) Both good and evil exist.
(c) There is neither good nor evil.
(d) There is only good; there is no evil.
9. What is the name of the first Karhidish village to which Genly and Estraven come?
10. What does the sight of the Esherhoth Crags do for Estraven and Genly?
(a) It frightens them.
(b) It causes them to realize they went the wrong way.
(c) It discourages them.
(d) It encourages them.
11. By the end of Chapter 16, how many total miles since leaving their first camp have Estraven and Genly covered?
12. When Genly and Estraven come out of Tarrenpeth Forest, a few days into their journey, what does Estraven use his previously-acquired hunting skills to trap?
(a) Pesthry, a fox-like omnivore.
(b) Pesthry, a fox-like carnivore.
(c) Pesthry, a fox-like herbivore.
(d) Pesthry, a type of game bird.
13. After Estraven's death at the end of Chapter 19, what does Chapter 20 tell us happens to Genly?
(a) He is executed in Sassinoth.
(b) He is imprisoned in Sassinoth.
(c) He is taken back to Karhide and imprisoned.
(d) He is taken back to Karhide and executed.
14. Whom does Estraven believe the people of Orgoreyn fear?
(c) Each other.
15. Who is known as the Center of Time?
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Genly visit at the end of spring?
2. What type of prisoner is Genly?
3. What does Estraven do with the letter he writes to his son, and why?
4. What does Chapter 17 say there was in the beginning?
5. In Chapter 18, Genly and Estraven have gone through much of the provisions they started with. What do we learn that Genly and Estraven are now relying on eating for nourishment?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)