|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Genly's meeting with Agraven, where is the Star Ship given clearance to land?
(a) The Corner Red Dwelling.
(b) The Round-Tower Dwelling.
(c) Athten Fen.
(d) Gobrin Ice.
2. How long ago did the High Priest compose the sayings in Chapter 12?
(a) 600 years.
(b) 900 years.
(c) 9 years.
3. What happens during Estraven and Genly's descent of Mount Dremegole?
(a) The sledge tips and they lose sixty pounds of food.
(b) Genly twists his ankle.
(c) Estraven slips on a patch of ice.
(d) A wheel gets stuck and the axle bends.
4. During his stay at the farm where Genly is being held, Estraven goes into a state of increased strength called:
5. How many of the sleepers did Edondurath kill after he woke up?
(d) None; he was the only one.
6. What is the Karhidish religion's viewpoint on good and evil?
(a) Both good and evil exist.
(b) There is neither good nor evil.
(c) There is only evil; there is no good.
(d) There is only good; there is no evil.
7. Whom does Genly visit at the end of spring?
(a) Ashe, Estraven's former kemmering.
(b) The Weaver Orden.
(c) Esvans Harth ir rem Estraven, Estraven's father, and Arek, Estraven's older brother.
(d) Heo Lang Hew.
8. What does Estraven do with the letter he writes to his son, and why?
(a) He hand delivers it to his son.
(b) He doesn't send it because it would condemn his son.
(c) He sends it because he misses his son.
(d) He doesn't send it because he disowned his son.
9. What is the name of the first Karhidish village to which Genly and Estraven come?
10. What is the Orgota religion's viewpoint on good and evil?
(a) There is only evil; there is no good.
(b) There is only good; there is no evil.
(c) There is neither good nor evil.
(d) Both good and evil exist.
11. By the end of Chapter 16, what has happened to Estraven?
(a) He has gone into dothe.
(b) He has lost all patience with Genly.
(c) He has gone into kemmer.
(d) He is starving himself.
12. What does Genly do in Chapter 19 that he would not allow himself to do in Chapter 16?
(a) Genly breaks down and cries.
(b) Genly allows himself to trust Estraven.
(c) Genly has sex with Estraven.
(d) Genly stops and asks for directions.
13. How did Estraven thaw Genly's left eye when it froze shut?
(a) With his breath and tongue.
(b) With warm water.
(c) With his breath.
(d) By rubbing it.
14. What happens in Orgoreyn after Agraven confronts the Commensals about what they did to Genly?
(a) Many Commensals are replaced, Obsle's party takes control, and Tibe resigns.
(b) The Commensals send assassins to kill Agraven and Tibe is appointed king.
(c) Many Commensals are replaced, Faxe takes control, and Tibe is executed.
(d) Many Commensals are replaced, Yegey's party takes control, and Tibe resigns.
15. What illegal (according to the Law of Cultural Embargo) skill does Genly teach Estraven?
(c) Interplanetary travel.
(d) How to understand women.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the Orgota creation myth, what will happen to the world at its end?
2. How does Estraven succeed in freeing Genly from his captivity?
3. In Earth years, Genly is younger than 30. How old is he in Winter years?
4. In Chapter 18, Genly and Estraven have gone through much of the provisions they started with. What do we learn that Genly and Estraven are now relying on eating for nourishment?
5. After Genly is captured and imprisoned in a work camp, what happens to him every five days and what is the consequence?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)