|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Genly speaks before the Thirty-Three?
(a) News of Genly finally became public knowledge in Orgoreyn.
(b) Obsle becomes afraid of him and cancels the reception that was scheduled for him.
(c) Obsle becomes convinced that Genly is a good person.
(d) Genly is deported by the Thirty-Three.
2. In Earth years, Genly is younger than 30. How old is he in Winter years?
(a) The same age as he is on Earth.
(c) Between 150 and 200.
(d) More than 120.
3. At one point, Genly finds himself alone in the dormitory with a dying inmate named Asra. What does Genly tell Asra about he people on his (Genly's) planet?
(a) He tells Asra that the people on his planet are not androgynous.
(b) He tells Asra that the people on his planet are in kemmer all the time.
(c) He tells Asra that the people on his planet never go into kemmer.
(d) He tells Asra that the people on his planet are all blond-haired and blue-eyed.
4. After Genly comes to live in Mishnory, what does Estraven find strange about how the local government is handling the presence of a First Mobile in their town?
(a) He finds it strange that Tibe's men didn't somehow follow Genly to Mishnory.
(b) He finds it strange that Genly is being talked about in the media as if he were a celebrity.
(c) He finds it strange that all information pertaining to Genly is censored by the Sarf.
(d) He finds it strange that his association with Genly hasn't cost him his job.
5. What does Chapter 17 say there was in the beginning?
(a) Nothing--the world was without form and void.
(b) Sun and ice.
(d) The Gobrin Ice.
6. How did Estraven thaw Genly's left eye when it froze shut?
(a) With his breath and tongue.
(b) With his breath.
(c) By rubbing it.
(d) With warm water.
7. What was the Gobrin Ice Plateau like, according to Genly's notes?
(a) A frozen storm-raised ocean.
(c) A flat sheet of ice.
(d) A frozen lake.
8. Why do Genly and Estraven want to go to Sassinoth?
(a) It is where Ashe is now living and Estraven wants to see him and their sons.
(b) It has a transmitter, so Genly will be able to contact the Starship.
(c) It is where Agraven lives at this time of year, and they want an audience with him.
(d) It is a city of safe refuge; Estraven will be protected and not have to worry about Tibe's men.
9. Who agrees to take a message on Estraven's behalf to King Argaven regarding what has happened to Genly Ai?
(b) Sardon rem ir Chenewich.
(c) The Thirty-Three.
10. Whom does Genly visit at the end of spring?
(a) Heo Lang Hew.
(b) Ashe, Estraven's former kemmering.
(c) The Weaver Orden.
(d) Esvans Harth ir rem Estraven, Estraven's father, and Arek, Estraven's older brother.
11. How long ago did the High Priest compose the sayings in Chapter 12?
(a) 9 years.
(b) 900 years.
(d) 600 years.
12. On what day of their trip do Genly and Estraven eventually arrive in Karhide?
(a) The 100th day.
(b) The 51st day.
(c) The 18th day.
(d) The 81st day.
13. What do Estraven and Genly do when they arrive at the Bay of Guthen?
(a) They set off on skis.
(b) They convert the sledge to a boat.
(c) They put the wheels back on the sledge.
(d) They abandon the sledge and make up backpacks.
14. Whom does Estraven believe the people of Orgoreyn fear?
(c) Each other.
15. What does Genly do in Chapter 19 that he would not allow himself to do in Chapter 16?
(a) Genly allows himself to trust Estraven.
(b) Genly breaks down and cries.
(c) Genly has sex with Estraven.
(d) Genly stops and asks for directions.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Orgota religion's viewpoint on good and evil?
2. What illegal (according to the Law of Cultural Embargo) skill does Genly teach Estraven?
3. Why, after Estraven's successful pesthry hunt, does it become more difficult for him and Genly to travel for the next several days?
4. As Chapter 14 opens, what realization has Estraven come to?
5. During his stay at the farm where Genly is being held, Estraven goes into a state of increased strength called:
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)