|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Edondurath's house made from?
(a) Sticks and hay.
(b) The corpses of the others he had killed.
(c) Snow and ice.
2. What type of prisoner is Genly?
(a) Political prisoner.
(b) Prisoner of love.
(c) Prisoner of war.
(d) Prisoner of conscience.
3. What does Estraven's social status change to after he receives the money from Genly?
(a) Unit, meaning he is able to support himself.
(b) Dependent, meaning he can't support himself.
(c) Dependent, meaning he is able to support himself.
(d) Unit, meaning he can't support himself.
4. Whom does Genly visit at the end of spring?
(a) Ashe, Estraven's former kemmering.
(b) The Weaver Orden.
(c) Heo Lang Hew.
(d) Esvans Harth ir rem Estraven, Estraven's father, and Arek, Estraven's older brother.
5. In Chapter 20, who is the first off the Star Ship after it lands?
(a) Genly's immediate supervisor.
(b) A woman named Heo Lang Hew.
(c) A woman named Lang Heo Hew.
(d) Genly's wife.
6. During the blizzard, what Earth game does Genly teach Estraven to play?
(b) Mah Jongg.
(c) Go Fish.
7. When Estraven leaves Mishnory under an assumed name and with forged papers, where does he wind up?
(a) Estraven is found out, and is imprisoned for forging his documents.
(b) In the Rotherer Fastness.
(c) In Karhide.
(d) In Ethwen.
8. As Chapter 14 opens, what realization has Estraven come to?
(a) He realizes that he can no longer rely on Tibe.
(b) He realizes that the Sarf was right to have arrested Genly Ai.
(c) He realizes that the only two people in Mishnory he can trust are Obsle and Yegey.
(d) He has realized that he can no longer rely on his "friends" Obsle and Yegey.
9. During his stay at the farm where Genly is being held, Estraven goes into a state of increased strength called:
10. In his continued arrogance, what does Genly refer to himself as, in comparison with Estraven?
(a) He considers himself a mule and Estraven a stallion.
(b) He considers himself a stallion and Estraven a pesthry.
(c) He considers himself an owl and Estraven a pigeon.
(d) He considers himself a stallion and Estraven a mule.
11. Did Genly accomplish, in the end, his mission to incorporate Winter into the Ekumen, according to Chapter 20?
(b) Negotiations were still ongoing as of the end of the book. We will never know.
(d) It is unclear whether or not he did.
12. What is the name of the Orgota religion?
13. In Chapter 18, Genly and Estraven have gone through much of the provisions they started with. What do we learn that Genly and Estraven are now relying on eating for nourishment?
(a) All of the above.
(b) Pesthry and gichy-michy.
(c) Orsh and gichy-michy.
(d) Pesthry and orsh.
14. What happens to Genly during the first week of his arrest?
(a) He is hit on by an Orgota in kemmer.
(b) His passport is returned to him and he is released.
(c) He is drugged and interrogated.
(d) He is placed on trial.
15. What happens to Genly shortly after Estraven reappears in Chapter 11 to warn him?
(a) He is arrested and deported to Karhide.
(b) He is arrested and sentenced to death.
(c) He is arrested and taken to Kundershaden Prison.
(d) He is arrested and taken to the Pulefen Commensality Farm.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the Gobrin Ice Plateau like, according to Genly's notes?
2. What is the Karhidish religion's viewpoint on good and evil?
3. In Earth years, Genly is younger than 30. How old is he in Winter years?
4. Around the time of the earthquake, what does Estraven notice that Genly is repressing himself from doing?
5. How does Estraven blackmail Shusgis?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)