|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Estraven succeed in freeing Genly from his captivity?
(a) He digs a hole underneath the perimeter fence and leads Genly to freedom.
(b) He knocks Genly out and convinces the guard that Genly is dead and, therefore, must be removed from the camp for burial.
(c) He hides Genly in a trash barrel and sends him out in a garbage truck.
(d) He forges orders that supposedly transfer Genly to another farm.
2. After Genly's meeting with Agraven, where is the Star Ship given clearance to land?
(a) The Corner Red Dwelling.
(b) Athten Fen.
(c) Gobrin Ice.
(d) The Round-Tower Dwelling.
3. What happens in Orgoreyn after Agraven confronts the Commensals about what they did to Genly?
(a) Many Commensals are replaced, Faxe takes control, and Tibe is executed.
(b) Many Commensals are replaced, Yegey's party takes control, and Tibe resigns.
(c) The Commensals send assassins to kill Agraven and Tibe is appointed king.
(d) Many Commensals are replaced, Obsle's party takes control, and Tibe resigns.
4. What happens when Genly speaks before the Thirty-Three?
(a) Obsle becomes afraid of him and cancels the reception that was scheduled for him.
(b) Obsle becomes convinced that Genly is a good person.
(c) Genly is deported by the Thirty-Three.
(d) News of Genly finally became public knowledge in Orgoreyn.
5. Why, after Estraven's successful pesthry hunt, does it become more difficult for him and Genly to travel for the next several days?
(a) Genly has constant diarrhea because the pesthry didn't agree with him.
(b) The weather changes from snow to rain, turning the snow to mush.
(c) A blizzard begins, lasting nine days.
(d) The sledge breaks down and everything on it has be be carried by hand.
6. What happens to Genly during the first week of his arrest?
(a) He is drugged and interrogated.
(b) His passport is returned to him and he is released.
(c) He is hit on by an Orgota in kemmer.
(d) He is placed on trial.
7. Who is known as the Center of Time?
8. At one point, Genly finds himself alone in the dormitory with a dying inmate named Asra. What does Genly tell Asra about he people on his (Genly's) planet?
(a) He tells Asra that the people on his planet are in kemmer all the time.
(b) He tells Asra that the people on his planet never go into kemmer.
(c) He tells Asra that the people on his planet are not androgynous.
(d) He tells Asra that the people on his planet are all blond-haired and blue-eyed.
9. What happens to Genly shortly after Estraven reappears in Chapter 11 to warn him?
(a) He is arrested and taken to Kundershaden Prison.
(b) He is arrested and taken to the Pulefen Commensality Farm.
(c) He is arrested and deported to Karhide.
(d) He is arrested and sentenced to death.
10. According to the Orgota creation myth, how many men were created?
(a) 2, one male and one female.
11. When Estraven leaves Mishnory under an assumed name and with forged papers, where does he wind up?
(a) In Ethwen.
(b) In the Rotherer Fastness.
(c) Estraven is found out, and is imprisoned for forging his documents.
(d) In Karhide.
12. During the blizzard, what Earth game does Genly teach Estraven to play?
(a) Mah Jongg.
(b) Go Fish.
13. What does the sight of the Esherhoth Crags do for Estraven and Genly?
(a) It encourages them.
(b) It frightens them.
(c) It discourages them.
(d) It causes them to realize they went the wrong way.
14. By the end of Chapter 16, what has happened to Estraven?
(a) He has lost all patience with Genly.
(b) He has gone into dothe.
(c) He is starving himself.
(d) He has gone into kemmer.
15. What is the Karhidish religion's viewpoint on good and evil?
(a) Both good and evil exist.
(b) There is only evil; there is no good.
(c) There is only good; there is no evil.
(d) There is neither good nor evil.
Short Answer Questions
1. During his stay at the farm where Genly is being held, Estraven goes into a state of increased strength called:
2. How many of the sleepers did Edondurath kill after he woke up?
3. Who agrees to take a message on Estraven's behalf to King Argaven regarding what has happened to Genly Ai?
4. Did Genly accomplish, in the end, his mission to incorporate Winter into the Ekumen, according to Chapter 20?
5. When Estraven finishes calculating the rations for their winter journey, what parameters does he establish?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)