|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what day of their trip do Genly and Estraven eventually arrive in Karhide?
(a) The 100th day.
(b) The 18th day.
(c) The 81st day.
(d) The 51st day.
2. How does Estraven acquire the initial supplies and food for the winter journey?
(a) He steals them in Turuf.
(b) He acquires them before freeing Genly and hides them for later access.
(c) He goes hunting.
(d) He buys them in Turuf.
3. After Estraven receives money from Genly, where does he find work?
(a) Estraven goes back to work in the icehouse, packing fish.
(b) Estraven takes a job in a plastics factory.
(c) Estraven finds work with the government.
(d) Estraven doesn't have a job.
4. After Genly's meeting with Agraven, where is the Star Ship given clearance to land?
(a) Athten Fen.
(b) Gobrin Ice.
(c) The Corner Red Dwelling.
(d) The Round-Tower Dwelling.
5. After Genly is captured and imprisoned in a work camp, what happens to him every five days and what is the consequence?
(a) He is physically tortured; he eventually dies because of it.
(b) He is drugged and interrogated; he eventually dies because of it.
(c) He is drugged and interrogated; he eventually becomes seriously ill because of it.
(d) He is physically tortured; he eventually becomes seriously ill because of it.
6. When Genly and Estraven come out of Tarrenpeth Forest, a few days into their journey, what does Estraven use his previously-acquired hunting skills to trap?
(a) Pesthry, a fox-like herbivore.
(b) Pesthry, a fox-like omnivore.
(c) Pesthry, a fox-like carnivore.
(d) Pesthry, a type of game bird.
7. In Earth years, Genly is younger than 30. How old is he in Winter years?
(a) More than 120.
(b) The same age as he is on Earth.
(d) Between 150 and 200.
8. How does Estraven blackmail Shusgis?
(a) By telling him that he (Estraven) was asked to assassinate him, but would rather protect him instead.
(b) By telling him he (Estraven) is part of a plan to assassinate Obsle and Yegey.
(c) By telling him he (Estraven) is part of a plan to assassinate Tibe.
(d) By telling him he (Estraven) is part of a plan to assassinate Genly Ai.
9. Whom does Estraven believe the people of Orgoreyn fear?
(d) Each other.
10. In Chapter 18, Genly and Estraven have gone through much of the provisions they started with. What do we learn that Genly and Estraven are now relying on eating for nourishment?
(a) All of the above.
(b) Orsh and gichy-michy.
(c) Pesthry and orsh.
(d) Pesthry and gichy-michy.
11. What does the sight of the Esherhoth Crags do for Estraven and Genly?
(a) It encourages them.
(b) It discourages them.
(c) It causes them to realize they went the wrong way.
(d) It frightens them.
12. According to the Orgota creation myth, what will happen to the world at its end?
(a) The sun will devour itself, shadow will eat light, and there will once again be nothing but darkness and ice.
(b) An asteroid will hit the planet and blow it up.
(c) The sun will devour itself and the planet will turn to a dead rock.
(d) The sun will explode and melt all the ice.
13. What happens when Genly speaks before the Thirty-Three?
(a) Obsle becomes convinced that Genly is a good person.
(b) News of Genly finally became public knowledge in Orgoreyn.
(c) Genly is deported by the Thirty-Three.
(d) Obsle becomes afraid of him and cancels the reception that was scheduled for him.
14. By the end of Chapter 16, how many total miles since leaving their first camp have Estraven and Genly covered?
15. What does Estraven's social status change to after he receives the money from Genly?
(a) Dependent, meaning he can't support himself.
(b) Dependent, meaning he is able to support himself.
(c) Unit, meaning he is able to support himself.
(d) Unit, meaning he can't support himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Genly do in Chapter 19 that he would not allow himself to do in Chapter 16?
2. What happens in Orgoreyn after Agraven confronts the Commensals about what they did to Genly?
3. How long ago did the High Priest compose the sayings in Chapter 12?
4. What type of prisoner is Genly?
5. What is the name of the high priest?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)