|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Chapter 15 opens, where do Genly and Estraven decide to hide for the winter?
(b) Kerm Ice.
(d) Gobrin Ice.
2. Did Genly accomplish, in the end, his mission to incorporate Winter into the Ekumen, according to Chapter 20?
(c) Negotiations were still ongoing as of the end of the book. We will never know.
(d) It is unclear whether or not he did.
3. Whom does Estraven believe the people of Orgoreyn fear?
(c) Each other.
4. What happens to Genly shortly after Estraven reappears in Chapter 11 to warn him?
(a) He is arrested and deported to Karhide.
(b) He is arrested and taken to the Pulefen Commensality Farm.
(c) He is arrested and taken to Kundershaden Prison.
(d) He is arrested and sentenced to death.
5. What is the name of the high priest?
6. After Genly's meeting with Agraven, where is the Star Ship given clearance to land?
(a) Gobrin Ice.
(b) The Corner Red Dwelling.
(c) The Round-Tower Dwelling.
(d) Athten Fen.
7. In the beginning, how were the hills and valleys made?
(a) Excrement was pulled out of the ground.
(b) Excrement was removed from the sleepers.
(c) As the ice melted, its movement formed hills and valleys.
(d) Excrement was pulled out of the sun.
8. What happens in Orgoreyn after Agraven confronts the Commensals about what they did to Genly?
(a) The Commensals send assassins to kill Agraven and Tibe is appointed king.
(b) Many Commensals are replaced, Obsle's party takes control, and Tibe resigns.
(c) Many Commensals are replaced, Yegey's party takes control, and Tibe resigns.
(d) Many Commensals are replaced, Faxe takes control, and Tibe is executed.
9. As of the beginning of Chapter 18, for how many days had Genly and Estraven been traveling?
(a) 5 days.
(b) 15 days.
(c) 50 days.
(d) A year.
10. What does Estraven's social status change to after he receives the money from Genly?
(a) Dependent, meaning he can't support himself.
(b) Unit, meaning he can't support himself.
(c) Unit, meaning he is able to support himself.
(d) Dependent, meaning he is able to support himself.
11. During the blizzard, what Earth game does Genly teach Estraven to play?
(b) Go Fish.
(c) Mah Jongg.
12. How does Estraven acquire the initial supplies and food for the winter journey?
(a) He buys them in Turuf.
(b) He acquires them before freeing Genly and hides them for later access.
(c) He goes hunting.
(d) He steals them in Turuf.
13. After Estraven receives money from Genly, where does he find work?
(a) Estraven finds work with the government.
(b) Estraven doesn't have a job.
(c) Estraven goes back to work in the icehouse, packing fish.
(d) Estraven takes a job in a plastics factory.
14. What happens during Estraven and Genly's descent of Mount Dremegole?
(a) The sledge tips and they lose sixty pounds of food.
(b) A wheel gets stuck and the axle bends.
(c) Estraven slips on a patch of ice.
(d) Genly twists his ankle.
15. When Genly and other prisoners are taken from their first detention facility, what is their destination?
(a) The Pulefen Commensality Third Voluntary Farm.
(b) Kundershaden Prison.
(c) The Gobrin Ice.
(d) A Commensal farm in the Kunderer Valley.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the Orgota creation myth, what will happen to the world at its end?
2. Around the time of the earthquake, what does Estraven notice that Genly is repressing himself from doing?
3. During his stay at the farm where Genly is being held, Estraven goes into a state of increased strength called:
4. As Chapter 14 opens, what realization has Estraven come to?
5. What does Estraven do with the letter he writes to his son, and why?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)