|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Genly comes to live in Mishnory, what does Estraven find strange about how the local government is handling the presence of a First Mobile in their town?
(a) He finds it strange that his association with Genly hasn't cost him his job.
(b) He finds it strange that Genly is being talked about in the media as if he were a celebrity.
(c) He finds it strange that Tibe's men didn't somehow follow Genly to Mishnory.
(d) He finds it strange that all information pertaining to Genly is censored by the Sarf.
2. How long ago did the High Priest compose the sayings in Chapter 12?
(b) 600 years.
(c) 9 years.
(d) 900 years.
3. In Chapter 18, Genly and Estraven have gone through much of the provisions they started with. What do we learn that Genly and Estraven are now relying on eating for nourishment?
(a) Pesthry and orsh.
(b) Orsh and gichy-michy.
(c) All of the above.
(d) Pesthry and gichy-michy.
4. Whom does Genly visit at the end of spring?
(a) The Weaver Orden.
(b) Ashe, Estraven's former kemmering.
(c) Heo Lang Hew.
(d) Esvans Harth ir rem Estraven, Estraven's father, and Arek, Estraven's older brother.
5. What is Edondurath's house made from?
(a) The corpses of the others he had killed.
(c) Snow and ice.
(d) Sticks and hay.
6. When Genly and other prisoners are taken from their first detention facility, what is their destination?
(a) A Commensal farm in the Kunderer Valley.
(b) Kundershaden Prison.
(c) The Pulefen Commensality Third Voluntary Farm.
(d) The Gobrin Ice.
7. As of the beginning of Chapter 18, for how many days had Genly and Estraven been traveling?
(a) 50 days.
(b) 5 days.
(c) A year.
(d) 15 days.
8. What happens when Genly speaks before the Thirty-Three?
(a) Obsle becomes convinced that Genly is a good person.
(b) Obsle becomes afraid of him and cancels the reception that was scheduled for him.
(c) News of Genly finally became public knowledge in Orgoreyn.
(d) Genly is deported by the Thirty-Three.
9. What role does Estraven tell Genly that King Argaven will be able to play with Orgota once he receives word of Genly's capture?
(a) First Mobile.
10. After Estraven receives money from Genly, where does he find work?
(a) Estraven doesn't have a job.
(b) Estraven goes back to work in the icehouse, packing fish.
(c) Estraven takes a job in a plastics factory.
(d) Estraven finds work with the government.
11. What is the name of the high priest?
12. During the blizzard, what Earth game does Genly teach Estraven to play?
(b) Mah Jongg.
(d) Go Fish.
13. How did Estraven thaw Genly's left eye when it froze shut?
(a) With warm water.
(b) With his breath and tongue.
(c) With his breath.
(d) By rubbing it.
14. According to the Orgota creation myth, how many men were created?
(a) 2, one male and one female.
15. What does Genly do in Chapter 19 that he would not allow himself to do in Chapter 16?
(a) Genly breaks down and cries.
(b) Genly stops and asks for directions.
(c) Genly allows himself to trust Estraven.
(d) Genly has sex with Estraven.
Short Answer Questions
1. Did Genly accomplish, in the end, his mission to incorporate Winter into the Ekumen, according to Chapter 20?
2. How does Estraven blackmail Shusgis?
3. By the end of Chapter 16, what has happened to Estraven?
4. Why, after Estraven's successful pesthry hunt, does it become more difficult for him and Genly to travel for the next several days?
5. What do Estraven and Genly do when they arrive at the Bay of Guthen?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)