|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the beginning, how were the hills and valleys made?
(a) Excrement was pulled out of the sun.
(b) As the ice melted, its movement formed hills and valleys.
(c) Excrement was pulled out of the ground.
(d) Excrement was removed from the sleepers.
2. How many of the sleepers did Edondurath kill after he woke up?
(c) None; he was the only one.
3. What is the Orgota religion's viewpoint on good and evil?
(a) There is neither good nor evil.
(b) Both good and evil exist.
(c) There is only good; there is no evil.
(d) There is only evil; there is no good.
4. After Genly is captured and imprisoned in a work camp, what happens to him every five days and what is the consequence?
(a) He is drugged and interrogated; he eventually dies because of it.
(b) He is physically tortured; he eventually dies because of it.
(c) He is physically tortured; he eventually becomes seriously ill because of it.
(d) He is drugged and interrogated; he eventually becomes seriously ill because of it.
5. What does the sight of the Esherhoth Crags do for Estraven and Genly?
(a) It encourages them.
(b) It causes them to realize they went the wrong way.
(c) It discourages them.
(d) It frightens them.
6. At one point, Genly finds himself alone in the dormitory with a dying inmate named Asra. What does Genly tell Asra about he people on his (Genly's) planet?
(a) He tells Asra that the people on his planet are not androgynous.
(b) He tells Asra that the people on his planet are in kemmer all the time.
(c) He tells Asra that the people on his planet are all blond-haired and blue-eyed.
(d) He tells Asra that the people on his planet never go into kemmer.
7. Whom does Genly visit at the end of spring?
(a) The Weaver Orden.
(b) Esvans Harth ir rem Estraven, Estraven's father, and Arek, Estraven's older brother.
(c) Ashe, Estraven's former kemmering.
(d) Heo Lang Hew.
8. When Estraven leaves Mishnory under an assumed name and with forged papers, where does he wind up?
(a) In Ethwen.
(b) Estraven is found out, and is imprisoned for forging his documents.
(c) In Karhide.
(d) In the Rotherer Fastness.
9. According to the Orgota creation myth, how many men were created?
(c) 2, one male and one female.
10. During his stay at the farm where Genly is being held, Estraven goes into a state of increased strength called:
11. In his continued arrogance, what does Genly refer to himself as, in comparison with Estraven?
(a) He considers himself a stallion and Estraven a pesthry.
(b) He considers himself a stallion and Estraven a mule.
(c) He considers himself a mule and Estraven a stallion.
(d) He considers himself an owl and Estraven a pigeon.
12. During the blizzard, what Earth game does Genly teach Estraven to play?
(a) Mah Jongg.
(b) Go Fish.
13. On what day of their trip do Genly and Estraven eventually arrive in Karhide?
(a) The 18th day.
(b) The 81st day.
(c) The 100th day.
(d) The 51st day.
14. What was the Gobrin Ice Plateau like, according to Genly's notes?
(a) A frozen lake.
(b) A flat sheet of ice.
(c) A frozen storm-raised ocean.
15. According to the Orgota creation myth, what will happen to the world at its end?
(a) The sun will devour itself, shadow will eat light, and there will once again be nothing but darkness and ice.
(b) The sun will devour itself and the planet will turn to a dead rock.
(c) The sun will explode and melt all the ice.
(d) An asteroid will hit the planet and blow it up.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the high priest?
2. After Estraven's death at the end of Chapter 19, what does Chapter 20 tell us happens to Genly?
3. What happens when Genly speaks before the Thirty-Three?
4. What does Estraven's social status change to after he receives the money from Genly?
5. When Genly and other prisoners are taken from their first detention facility, what is their destination?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)