|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is known as the Center of Time?
2. After Genly's meeting with Agraven, where is the Star Ship given clearance to land?
(a) Gobrin Ice.
(b) Athten Fen.
(c) The Round-Tower Dwelling.
(d) The Corner Red Dwelling.
3. When Genly and other prisoners are taken from their first detention facility, what is their destination?
(a) A Commensal farm in the Kunderer Valley.
(b) Kundershaden Prison.
(c) The Pulefen Commensality Third Voluntary Farm.
(d) The Gobrin Ice.
4. Did Genly accomplish, in the end, his mission to incorporate Winter into the Ekumen, according to Chapter 20?
(b) It is unclear whether or not he did.
(d) Negotiations were still ongoing as of the end of the book. We will never know.
5. By the end of Chapter 16, how many total miles since leaving their first camp have Estraven and Genly covered?
6. Why, after Estraven's successful pesthry hunt, does it become more difficult for him and Genly to travel for the next several days?
(a) Genly has constant diarrhea because the pesthry didn't agree with him.
(b) The weather changes from snow to rain, turning the snow to mush.
(c) The sledge breaks down and everything on it has be be carried by hand.
(d) A blizzard begins, lasting nine days.
7. Around the time of the earthquake, what does Estraven notice that Genly is repressing himself from doing?
8. What was the Gobrin Ice Plateau like, according to Genly's notes?
(b) A frozen lake.
(c) A frozen storm-raised ocean.
(d) A flat sheet of ice.
9. In Earth years, Genly is younger than 30. How old is he in Winter years?
(a) The same age as he is on Earth.
(b) Between 150 and 200.
(c) More than 120.
10. What do Estraven and Genly do when they arrive at the Bay of Guthen?
(a) They set off on skis.
(b) They abandon the sledge and make up backpacks.
(c) They convert the sledge to a boat.
(d) They put the wheels back on the sledge.
11. How does Estraven blackmail Shusgis?
(a) By telling him he (Estraven) is part of a plan to assassinate Genly Ai.
(b) By telling him he (Estraven) is part of a plan to assassinate Obsle and Yegey.
(c) By telling him he (Estraven) is part of a plan to assassinate Tibe.
(d) By telling him that he (Estraven) was asked to assassinate him, but would rather protect him instead.
12. What happens to Genly shortly after Estraven reappears in Chapter 11 to warn him?
(a) He is arrested and deported to Karhide.
(b) He is arrested and taken to the Pulefen Commensality Farm.
(c) He is arrested and sentenced to death.
(d) He is arrested and taken to Kundershaden Prison.
13. What happens in Orgoreyn after Agraven confronts the Commensals about what they did to Genly?
(a) Many Commensals are replaced, Obsle's party takes control, and Tibe resigns.
(b) Many Commensals are replaced, Yegey's party takes control, and Tibe resigns.
(c) The Commensals send assassins to kill Agraven and Tibe is appointed king.
(d) Many Commensals are replaced, Faxe takes control, and Tibe is executed.
14. What happens to Genly during the first week of his arrest?
(a) He is placed on trial.
(b) He is drugged and interrogated.
(c) His passport is returned to him and he is released.
(d) He is hit on by an Orgota in kemmer.
15. What illegal (according to the Law of Cultural Embargo) skill does Genly teach Estraven?
(c) How to understand women.
(d) Interplanetary travel.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 18, Genly and Estraven have gone through much of the provisions they started with. What do we learn that Genly and Estraven are now relying on eating for nourishment?
2. What happens during Estraven and Genly's descent of Mount Dremegole?
3. After Estraven receives money from Genly, where does he find work?
4. According to the Orgota creation myth, what will happen to the world at its end?
5. What does Estraven do with the letter he writes to his son, and why?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)