|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By the end of Chapter 16, how many total miles since leaving their first camp have Estraven and Genly covered?
2. When Estraven leaves Mishnory under an assumed name and with forged papers, where does he wind up?
(a) In the Rotherer Fastness.
(b) In Ethwen.
(c) In Karhide.
(d) Estraven is found out, and is imprisoned for forging his documents.
3. According to the Orgota creation myth, how many men were created?
(b) 2, one male and one female.
4. During his stay at the farm where Genly is being held, Estraven goes into a state of increased strength called:
5. What do Estraven and Genly do when they arrive at the Bay of Guthen?
(a) They convert the sledge to a boat.
(b) They put the wheels back on the sledge.
(c) They set off on skis.
(d) They abandon the sledge and make up backpacks.
6. What was the Gobrin Ice Plateau like, according to Genly's notes?
(a) A frozen lake.
(b) A flat sheet of ice.
(d) A frozen storm-raised ocean.
7. Who is known as the Center of Time?
8. What happens during Estraven and Genly's descent of Mount Dremegole?
(a) Estraven slips on a patch of ice.
(b) The sledge tips and they lose sixty pounds of food.
(c) Genly twists his ankle.
(d) A wheel gets stuck and the axle bends.
9. What does Estraven's social status change to after he receives the money from Genly?
(a) Dependent, meaning he can't support himself.
(b) Unit, meaning he can't support himself.
(c) Dependent, meaning he is able to support himself.
(d) Unit, meaning he is able to support himself.
10. After Estraven's death at the end of Chapter 19, what does Chapter 20 tell us happens to Genly?
(a) He is taken back to Karhide and executed.
(b) He is executed in Sassinoth.
(c) He is taken back to Karhide and imprisoned.
(d) He is imprisoned in Sassinoth.
11. As of the beginning of Chapter 18, for how many days had Genly and Estraven been traveling?
(a) A year.
(b) 50 days.
(c) 15 days.
(d) 5 days.
12. After Genly's meeting with Agraven, where is the Star Ship given clearance to land?
(a) Gobrin Ice.
(b) The Round-Tower Dwelling.
(c) The Corner Red Dwelling.
(d) Athten Fen.
13. What does Chapter 17 say there was in the beginning?
(a) The Gobrin Ice.
(b) Nothing--the world was without form and void.
(c) Sun and ice.
14. What role does Estraven tell Genly that King Argaven will be able to play with Orgota once he receives word of Genly's capture?
(c) First Mobile.
15. How did Estraven thaw Genly's left eye when it froze shut?
(a) By rubbing it.
(b) With his breath.
(c) With his breath and tongue.
(d) With warm water.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Estraven finishes calculating the rations for their winter journey, what parameters does he establish?
2. Who agrees to take a message on Estraven's behalf to King Argaven regarding what has happened to Genly Ai?
3. What illegal (according to the Law of Cultural Embargo) skill does Genly teach Estraven?
4. What happens when Genly speaks before the Thirty-Three?
5. Why, after Estraven's successful pesthry hunt, does it become more difficult for him and Genly to travel for the next several days?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)