|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Genly during the first week of his arrest?
(a) He is hit on by an Orgota in kemmer.
(b) He is drugged and interrogated.
(c) His passport is returned to him and he is released.
(d) He is placed on trial.
2. At one point, Genly finds himself alone in the dormitory with a dying inmate named Asra. What does Genly tell Asra about he people on his (Genly's) planet?
(a) He tells Asra that the people on his planet are not androgynous.
(b) He tells Asra that the people on his planet are all blond-haired and blue-eyed.
(c) He tells Asra that the people on his planet are in kemmer all the time.
(d) He tells Asra that the people on his planet never go into kemmer.
3. During the blizzard, what Earth game does Genly teach Estraven to play?
(a) Go Fish.
(c) Mah Jongg.
4. Why, after Estraven's successful pesthry hunt, does it become more difficult for him and Genly to travel for the next several days?
(a) A blizzard begins, lasting nine days.
(b) The sledge breaks down and everything on it has be be carried by hand.
(c) The weather changes from snow to rain, turning the snow to mush.
(d) Genly has constant diarrhea because the pesthry didn't agree with him.
5. In Chapter 20, who is the first off the Star Ship after it lands?
(a) Genly's wife.
(b) Genly's immediate supervisor.
(c) A woman named Lang Heo Hew.
(d) A woman named Heo Lang Hew.
6. How does Estraven blackmail Shusgis?
(a) By telling him he (Estraven) is part of a plan to assassinate Obsle and Yegey.
(b) By telling him he (Estraven) is part of a plan to assassinate Tibe.
(c) By telling him that he (Estraven) was asked to assassinate him, but would rather protect him instead.
(d) By telling him he (Estraven) is part of a plan to assassinate Genly Ai.
7. Why do Genly and Estraven want to go to Sassinoth?
(a) It has a transmitter, so Genly will be able to contact the Starship.
(b) It is where Ashe is now living and Estraven wants to see him and their sons.
(c) It is where Agraven lives at this time of year, and they want an audience with him.
(d) It is a city of safe refuge; Estraven will be protected and not have to worry about Tibe's men.
8. In Chapter 18, Genly and Estraven have gone through much of the provisions they started with. What do we learn that Genly and Estraven are now relying on eating for nourishment?
(a) Orsh and gichy-michy.
(b) Pesthry and gichy-michy.
(c) Pesthry and orsh.
(d) All of the above.
9. After Estraven receives money from Genly, where does he find work?
(a) Estraven doesn't have a job.
(b) Estraven goes back to work in the icehouse, packing fish.
(c) Estraven finds work with the government.
(d) Estraven takes a job in a plastics factory.
10. How did Estraven thaw Genly's left eye when it froze shut?
(a) By rubbing it.
(b) With his breath.
(c) With his breath and tongue.
(d) With warm water.
11. When Estraven finishes calculating the rations for their winter journey, what parameters does he establish?
(a) Considering the trip is 800 miles, and traveling at a rate of 12 miles a day, they have enough rations for 78 days.
(b) Considering the distance is 400 miles, traveling at a rate of 12 miles a day, they have enough rations for 30 days.
(c) Considering the distance is 400 miles, and they need to travel at a rate of 21 miles a day, they have enough rations for 30 days.
(d) Considering the distance is 800 miles, traveling at a rate of 21 miles a day, they have enough rations for 78 days.
12. What does Estraven do with the letter he writes to his son, and why?
(a) He sends it because he misses his son.
(b) He doesn't send it because he disowned his son.
(c) He doesn't send it because it would condemn his son.
(d) He hand delivers it to his son.
13. What happens during Estraven and Genly's descent of Mount Dremegole?
(a) The sledge tips and they lose sixty pounds of food.
(b) Genly twists his ankle.
(c) Estraven slips on a patch of ice.
(d) A wheel gets stuck and the axle bends.
14. What role does Estraven tell Genly that King Argaven will be able to play with Orgota once he receives word of Genly's capture?
(b) First Mobile.
15. What is the name of the Orgota religion?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the high priest?
2. What is the Orgota religion's viewpoint on good and evil?
3. What happens when Genly speaks before the Thirty-Three?
4. How does Estraven succeed in freeing Genly from his captivity?
5. What is the Karhidish religion's viewpoint on good and evil?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)