|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Estraven II known throughout history as for his actions?
(a) Estraven the Traitor.
(b) Estraven the Shrewd.
(c) Estraven the Idiot.
(d) Estraven the Loyal.
2. When Stokven realizes he was lied to, what does he do?
(a) He gives up his position and relocates permanently to a fastness.
(b) He becomes a traitor to his country and moves to Estre.
(c) He kills the men who lied to him.
(d) He banishes the men who lied to him.
3. What name does Estraven give the man who rescues him?
(a) Arek of Estre.
(c) Therem of Stok.
(d) Therem of Estre.
4. Whose name comes up during Estraven's dinner conversation with Commensals Yegey and Obsle?
(a) The Lord Bishory.
(d) Genly Ai.
5. What is the significance of the title of Chapter 4, "The Nineteenth Day?"
(a) The Nineteenth Day is the day, in any month, on which Lord Berosty is predicted to die
(b) The Nineteenth Day is the day, in any month, on which Lord Berosty's kemmering will die.
(c) The nineteenth day, in any month, is Lord Berosty's forecasted wedding date.
(d) Nineteen is the number of children Lord Berosty is forecasted to have.
6. What does Genly do during his time in Otherhord, while he is waiting to be taken to the Foretellers?
(a) Genly is apprenticed to the blacksmith.
(b) Genly assists in the communal work of field labor, gardening, woodcutting, and maintenance.
(c) Genly works in the village's general store.
(d) Genly tries to convince Otherhord to become part of the Ekumen.
7. What does Lord Berosty do after receiving his Foretelling?
(a) He decides to live life to the fullest and starts living like a daredevil.
(b) He kills his kemmering.
(c) He commits suicide immediately.
(d) He returns to one of his family domains and locks himself in the Hearth-Tower for ten months.
8. Where does the second Estraven in Chapter 9 (Estraven II) wind up after his failed hunting trip?
(a) The home of Therem of Stok.
(b) Back home in Estre.
(c) Dying in the wilderness, with his body eaten by wild beasts.
(d) Falling into Icefoot Lake and drowning.
9. Who tells Getheren that he is in danger of suicide?
(b) Hode, his brother and kemmering.
(c) The Lord of Shath.
(d) Genly Ai.
10. After his return to Erhenrang, Genly sends Tibe a note. What is in this note?
(a) A request to help Genly get permission to enter Orgoreyn.
(b) A request for an explanation of why Tibe is making so many radio addresses.
(c) A request to reconsider the decree exiling Estraven.
(d) The question he had asked the Foretellers and the answer they gave him.
11. How long does Genly's journey to Rer, which is described in Chapter 5, take?
(a) Four days.
(b) Four weeks.
(c) Four years.
(d) Four hours.
12. Why is it so monumental that Estraven and Stokven swore kemmering to each other?
(a) They are the same gender.
(b) They are enemies.
(c) They are brothers.
(d) They are of different races.
13. When Genly finally gets to Mishnory, whom does he find there?
(a) Prime Minister Tibe.
(b) King Argaven.
14. What is the origin of the story told in Chapter 4?
(a) West Karhide.
(d) East Karhide.
15. What themes are highlighted in the story told in Chapter 4?
(a) Love and hatred.
(b) Suicide and murder.
(c) Love and betrayal.
(d) Obsession and compulsion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the period of time during which a Gethenian is sexually inactive called?
2. What is the purpose of Genly's meeting with the king?
3. How does Genly finance the trip he takes in Chapter 5?
4. What is the result of Genly's meeting with the king?
5. How long does a journey from Gethen to the Prime World, Hain, take?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)