|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. If a Gethenian becomes pregnant, how long is the gestation period (i.e., the amount of time it takes before the baby is born)?
(a) Gethenians don't experience pregnancy.
(b) 8.4 months.
(c) 9 months.
(d) 4.8 months.
2. What does Odren tell Lord Berosty's kemmering?
(a) Odren tells the kemmering that Lord Berosty will live longer than the kemmering does.
(b) He tells the kemmering that he made a mistake and that Lord Berosty won't be dying any time soon.
(c) He tells the kemmering that he and Lord Berosty will die at the same time.
(d) He tells the kemmering that he will outlive Lord Berosty.
3. This city is the capital of the nation of Karhide:
(a) The Island.
4. What are the two themes that are introduced in Chapter 1?
(a) Love and betrayal.
(b) Betrayal and fear of the unknown.
(c) Journey and discovery.
(d) Religion and spirituality.
5. Where does Genly live during the month of Kus?
6. What is the gender of the inhabitants of Gethen?
(a) Entirely female.
(b) Male and female.
(c) Entirely male.
7. Who tells Getheren that he is in danger of suicide?
(b) The Lord of Shath.
(c) Hode, his brother and kemmering.
(d) Genly Ai.
8. What is the significance of the title of Chapter 4, "The Nineteenth Day?"
(a) The nineteenth day, in any month, is Lord Berosty's forecasted wedding date.
(b) Nineteen is the number of children Lord Berosty is forecasted to have.
(c) The Nineteenth Day is the day, in any month, on which Lord Berosty is predicted to die
(d) The Nineteenth Day is the day, in any month, on which Lord Berosty's kemmering will die.
9. Who is the Prime Minister in Chapter 1?
(a) Genly Ai.
(b) Therem Harth rem ir Estraven (Estraven for short).
(c) Pemmer Harge rem ir Tibe ('Tibe' for short) .
(d) Tony Blair.
10. The relationship between which two characters is introduced in Chapter 1?
(a) Genly Ai and King Argaven.
(b) Genly Ai and Estraven.
(c) King Argaven and Tibe.
(d) Estraven and Tibe.
11. What is the period of time during which a Gethenian is sexually active called?
12. Two nights and one day after Estraven and Stokven become kemmers, Estraven is attacked by a party from Stok and presumed killed. Stokven tells his countrymen what to do with Estraven's body. Did they follow Stokven's orders?
(a) Yes, they take him to Estre for burial.
(b) Yes, they leave him in the woods for the wild beasts to eat.
(c) No, they leave him in the woods for the wild beasts to eat.
(d) No, they take him to Estre for burial.
13. Which picture offends the king when Genly shows it to him?
(a) A picture of a fellow Gethenian.
(b) A picture of a male from Earth.
(c) A picture of the supreme leader of the Ekumen.
(d) A picture of a female from Cime.
14. Do Gethenians become pregnant as males, or as females?
(b) Gethenians don't experience pregnancy.
(c) Either gender can become pregnant.
15. What is the Gethenians' mating cycle known as?
(a) Mating cycle.
(d) Being in heat.
Short Answer Questions
1. When baby Therem (also called Estraven) grows up, what happens to him?
2. What name does Estraven give to the doctor while he is in the hospital?
3. What does Genly do during his time in Otherhord, while he is waiting to be taken to the Foretellers?
4. How does Genly Ai spend the summer?
5. What happens to Getheren on the third morning after his departure from his homeland?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)