|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Shortly after his arrival in Orgoreyn, Genly is invited to lunch with Commensals Obsle and Yegey. What information does Genly divulge to his hosts during this luncheon?
(a) He tells them about his ship, and also that a NAFAL ship is orbiting the planet.
(b) He tells them about his ship, and also that a Star Ship is currently orbiting the planet.
(c) He tells them that Tibe is trying to start a war with Orgoreyn.
(d) He tells them that his ship is in Orgoreyn and invites them for a visit.
2. What are the economic conditions of Getheren's homeland, before and after he takes back his name and shadow?
3. What is the result of Genly's meeting with the king?
(a) The meeting is not successful; the king is not interested in Karhide becoming part of the Ekumen.
(b) The king is so offended by Genly's pictures that he has Genly imprisoned.
(c) It is a good "get to know you" meeting; the king is interested in learning more about the Ekumen and schedules a second discussion with Genly.
(d) The meeting is successful; Karhide becomes part of the Ekumen.
4. When baby Therem (also called Estraven) grows up, what happens to him?
(a) He gives birth to a child who will eventually become King Argaven I.
(b) He vows kemmering to Therem of Stok.
(c) His kemmering sons attack and kill him after he is named heir of Estre.
(d) His kemmering sons attack and wound him after he is named heir of Estre.
5. What is the name of the place where Estraven is granted asylum, to which he must travel?
(a) The Township of Mishnory.
(b) Therem Harth.
(c) South Mishnory.
6. How far is Rer from Karhide?
(a) 110 miles.
(b) 11 miles.
(c) 11,000 miles.
(d) 1,100 miles.
7. How long does Genly's journey to Rer, which is described in Chapter 5, take?
(a) Four years.
(b) Four weeks.
(c) Four hours.
(d) Four days.
8. Which picture offends the king when Genly shows it to him?
(a) A picture of a female from Cime.
(b) A picture of a male from Earth.
(c) A picture of a fellow Gethenian.
(d) A picture of the supreme leader of the Ekumen.
9. Who wants to bring the ship to Orgota?
(a) Genly and Estraven.
(b) Yegey and Slose.
(c) Yegey and Obsle.
(d) Slose and Gaum.
10. In this story, what does the main character, Lord Berosty, do?
(a) Lord Berosty asks the Weaver Odren how many children he will have.
(b) Lord Berosty requests a Foretelling of the Weaver Odren as to what day he will die.
(c) Lord Berosty asks the Weaver Odren if he will ever get married.
(d) Lord Berosty requests a Foretelling of the Weaver Odren as to what day his kemmering will die.
11. Who is waiting for Estraven at the city gate when he arrives in Kuseben?
(b) Genly Ai.
(c) Ashe, his former kemmering.
(d) His two sons.
12. Before he dies, what does Estraven II do?
(a) He loses the feud with Stok, and Estre becoms part of the Domain of Stok.
(b) He wins the feud with Stok and claims the entire Domain for Estre.
(c) He ends the feud with Stok by giving half the disputed land to the Domain of Stok.
(d) He wins the feud with Stok without any loss of land.
13. When a Gethenian becomes sexually active and finds a partner, what happens?
(a) Hormones kick in, and both male and female genitalia develop.
(b) Hormones kick in, and either male or female genitalia develop.
(c) Hormones kick in, and male genitalia develop.
(d) Hormones kick in, and female genitalia develop.
14. Why does Chapter 5 say that Genly has come to Rer?
(a) He is looking for a job.
(b) He is discouraged after his failed meeting with the King and needs a break.
(c) He wishes to visit a nearby fastness and learn about what Foretellers do.
(d) He wants to live on a commune.
15. Shortly after Genly sends his letter to Tibe, Ashe visits him. What is the purpose of Ashe's visit?
(a) He wants Genly to take money to Estraven.
(b) He wants to invite Genly to dinner.
(c) He wants to warn Genly that his life is in danger.
(d) He wants Genly to take him to Estraven.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Berosty kill his kemmering after his return from Thangering Fastness and Weaver Odren?
2. What is the proclamation made just before Genly is taken in to see the king?
3. What is Genly's opinion of Estraven's presence in Orgoreyn?
4. What is the gender of the inhabitants of Gethen?
5. What is the climate on the planet Gethen, year-round?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)