|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What name does Estraven give the man who rescues him?
(a) Therem of Stok.
(b) Therem of Estre.
(d) Arek of Estre.
2. Where does the second Estraven in Chapter 9 (Estraven II) wind up after his failed hunting trip?
(a) Back home in Estre.
(b) Dying in the wilderness, with his body eaten by wild beasts.
(c) Falling into Icefoot Lake and drowning.
(d) The home of Therem of Stok.
3. When does the story in Chapter 2 take place?
(a) 10 years in the future.
(b) 200 years ago.
(c) 50 years ago.
4. What are the two themes that are introduced in Chapter 1?
(a) Love and betrayal.
(b) Journey and discovery.
(c) Betrayal and fear of the unknown.
(d) Religion and spirituality.
5. Where does Genly think about going next, and where does he actually decide to go?
(a) The Gobrin Ice/the Pering Ice.
(b) The Fastnesses/Orgoreyn.
(c) Orgoreyn/the Fastnesses.
(d) The Pering Ice/the Gobrin Ice.
6. What is the result of Genly's meeting with the king?
(a) It is a good "get to know you" meeting; the king is interested in learning more about the Ekumen and schedules a second discussion with Genly.
(b) The king is so offended by Genly's pictures that he has Genly imprisoned.
(c) The meeting is successful; Karhide becomes part of the Ekumen.
(d) The meeting is not successful; the king is not interested in Karhide becoming part of the Ekumen.
7. What news comes from Argaven's palace during the month of Kus?
(a) The King has vowed kemmer.
(b) The Queen is pregnant.
(c) The King is pregnant.
(d) The King is dying.
8. What is the mortar the king applies to the Arch's keystone made of?
(a) Ground animal bones mixed with animal blood.
(b) Ground animal bones mixed with human blood.
(d) Ground human bones mixed with human blood.
9. What does Genly do during his time in Otherhord, while he is waiting to be taken to the Foretellers?
(a) Genly assists in the communal work of field labor, gardening, woodcutting, and maintenance.
(b) Genly is apprenticed to the blacksmith.
(c) Genly works in the village's general store.
(d) Genly tries to convince Otherhord to become part of the Ekumen.
10. What happens to Getheren on the third morning after his departure from his homeland?
(a) He finds shelter in an abandoned hunting camp.
(b) His hands and feet are frostbitten.
(c) He is rescued and granted asylum by his rescuers.
(d) He commits suicide.
11. It's been pointed out many times in "The Left Hand of Darkness," thus far, that the Gethenians are androgynous. What does "androgynous" mean?
(a) No apparent gender--can't tell whether the being is male or female.
(d) Both genders.
12. What is the name of the Investigator who documents Gethenians' androgyny?
(a) Oppong Ong Tot.
(b) Tot Ong Oppong.
(c) Oppong Tot Ong.
(d) Ong Tot Oppong.
13. What answer (in part) does the king receive?
(a) I do not know what makes a man a traitor.
(b) I sent Genly to you to ask your nation to join the Ekumen.
(c) I want Gethen to join the Ekumen to promote universal peace and harmony.
(d) I do not know what makes a man loyal.
14. What is the bridge on the river Ey?
(a) The border between Karhide and Orgoreyn.
(b) The border between Orgoreyn and Mishnory.
(c) A movie about POWs during the Second World War.
(d) The border between Gorinhering and Erhenrang.
15. What is the climate on the planet Gethen, year-round?
(a) Warm and sunny.
(b) Cool and rainy.
(c) The planet experiences all four seasons.
(d) Cold and freezing.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does a journey from Gethen to the Prime World, Hain, take?
2. What is the purpose of the parade upon which Chapter 1 opens?
3. What significance does the Sarf have for Genly?
4. Is Lord Berosty satisfied with the answer he receives? Why?
5. Why does Genly wind up on a communal farm?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)