|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Genly carry in the case that he brings to his meeting with King Argaven?
(b) His ansible communicator.
(c) His ansible communicator and pictures.
(d) Money and gifts that were sent by the Ekumen to the king.
2. What name does Estraven give to the doctor while he is in the hospital?
(a) Therem Estraven.
(b) Therem Ai.
(c) Therem Harth.
(d) Therem Ashe.
3. What is the advice that Estraven gives Genly during his visit to Genly's apartment in Mishnory?
(a) He tells Genly to leave Orgoreyn as soon as possible because his life is in danger.
(b) He tells Genly that he is being used as a tool and that it will harm him if he isn't careful.
(c) He tells Genly that Orgoreyn is a much better place from which to achieve his mission.
(d) He tells Genly to encourage Orgoreyn to join the Ekumen.
4. What is the nature of the request made by Genly Ai in Chapter 6?
(a) He requests asylum in Orgoreyn.
(b) He asks to be taken to Shelt Port.
(c) He requests permission to enter the Commensality.
(d) He asks Estraven to pledge kemmering to him.
5. What does Estraven do once he learns of his exile?
(a) He writes to his former kemmering to ask if he can join him in the Orgny Fastness.
(b) He sends a telegram to Genly to ask for his help.
(c) He attempts to murder Tibe.
(d) Estraven writes to his former kemmering, telling him to sell certain valuables so that their sons will have money.
6. Where does the second Estraven in Chapter 9 (Estraven II) wind up after his failed hunting trip?
(a) Dying in the wilderness, with his body eaten by wild beasts.
(b) Falling into Icefoot Lake and drowning.
(c) The home of Therem of Stok.
(d) Back home in Estre.
7. What unanswerable question did the Lord of Shorth, according to Goss, force the foretellers to answer?
(a) When will I die?
(b) Why is the sky blue?
(c) What happens after death?
(d) What is the meaning of life?
8. What is the climate on the planet Gethen, year-round?
(a) Cool and rainy.
(b) The planet experiences all four seasons.
(c) Warm and sunny.
(d) Cold and freezing.
9. Who visits Genly the morning following the dinner with which Chapter 8 ends?
(a) The Commensals.
10. What is the gender of the inhabitants of Gethen?
(a) Entirely female.
(c) Entirely male.
(d) Male and female.
11. Is Lord Berosty satisfied with the answer he receives? Why?
(a) Yes. He knows that only three months of the year have nineteen days.
(b) No. He wants to know the month and year as well.
(c) No. He wants the answer to be a different day than the nineteenth.
(d) Yes. Nineteen is his favorite number.
12. What answer (in part) does the king receive?
(a) I sent Genly to you to ask your nation to join the Ekumen.
(b) I do not know what makes a man loyal.
(c) I want Gethen to join the Ekumen to promote universal peace and harmony.
(d) I do not know what makes a man a traitor.
13. What is the primary conflict in Chapter 2 that sets its events in motion?
(a) Two brothers are commanded to vow kemmering.
(b) Two hearths go to war against each other.
(c) Two brothers are commanded to break their kemmering vow.
(d) Two brothers are exiled.
14. What news comes from Argaven's palace during the month of Kus?
(a) The King is dying.
(b) The King has vowed kemmer.
(c) The King is pregnant.
(d) The Queen is pregnant.
15. What happens to Getheren on the third morning after his departure from his homeland?
(a) He commits suicide.
(b) His hands and feet are frostbitten.
(c) He finds shelter in an abandoned hunting camp.
(d) He is rescued and granted asylum by his rescuers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What significance does the Sarf have for Genly?
2. Where does Estraven find employment in his new home?
3. What are the two themes that are introduced in Chapter 1?
4. What does the mysterious man give the warder at Estre Gate?
5. What does Genly learn during his lunch with the local politicians?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)