|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Genly do during his time in Otherhord, while he is waiting to be taken to the Foretellers?
(a) Genly is apprenticed to the blacksmith.
(b) Genly tries to convince Otherhord to become part of the Ekumen.
(c) Genly assists in the communal work of field labor, gardening, woodcutting, and maintenance.
(d) Genly works in the village's general store.
2. What is the purpose of Genly's meeting with the king?
(a) To convince the king that he is an envoy from another planet, and to start a dialogue about Gethen becoming part of the Ekumen.
(b) To talk to the king about Estraven.
(c) To pledge kemmering to the king.
(d) To ask permission to travel to Orgoreyn.
3. How does Genly finance the trip he takes in Chapter 5?
(a) He charges it on his credit card.
(b) He sells one of his rubies.
(c) He sells two of his rubies.
(d) He pays for it with cash.
4. Whose name comes up during Estraven's dinner conversation with Commensals Yegey and Obsle?
(c) Genly Ai.
(d) The Lord Bishory.
5. How long does Genly's journey to Rer, which is described in Chapter 5, take?
(a) Four days.
(b) Four hours.
(c) Four years.
(d) Four weeks.
6. What is Genly's opinion of Estraven's presence in Orgoreyn?
(a) He is planning to betray Estraven to Tibe.
(b) He believes it is a complication.
(c) He is glad that Estraven was able to find refuge.
(d) He believes it is a benefit.
7. Why is it so monumental that Estraven and Stokven swore kemmering to each other?
(a) They are the same gender.
(b) They are enemies.
(c) They are of different races.
(d) They are brothers.
8. After he loses his registration due to a change in the Alien Registry Law, what happens to Estraven?
(a) He regains his registration and goes back to his previous job.
(b) He is made one of Commensal Yegey's secretaries and regains his registration.
(c) He continues to live in his new home as an illegal alien.
(d) He loses his refugee status and is taken back to Gethen to meet his fate.
9. What are the important themes of Chapter 2?
(a) Betrayal and hatred.
(b) Kemmering and love.
(c) Breaking the law and exile.
(d) Marriage and divorce.
10. What does Genly learn during his lunch with the local politicians?
(a) He learns that his life is in danger.
(b) He learns that Slose wants to make a religion out of him.
(c) He learns what the Sarf is.
(d) He learns that the King's child was born that morning, but survived less than an hour.
11. What does Lord Berosty do after receiving his Foretelling?
(a) He commits suicide immediately.
(b) He decides to live life to the fullest and starts living like a daredevil.
(c) He kills his kemmering.
(d) He returns to one of his family domains and locks himself in the Hearth-Tower for ten months.
12. Shortly after Genly sends his letter to Tibe, Ashe visits him. What is the purpose of Ashe's visit?
(a) He wants Genly to take money to Estraven.
(b) He wants to warn Genly that his life is in danger.
(c) He wants Genly to take him to Estraven.
(d) He wants to invite Genly to dinner.
13. If a Gethenian becomes pregnant, how long is the gestation period (i.e., the amount of time it takes before the baby is born)?
(a) Gethenians don't experience pregnancy.
(b) 4.8 months.
(c) 9 months.
(d) 8.4 months.
14. Who is the story in Chapter 9 about?
(a) King Argaven's ancestors.
(b) Estraven, an ancestor of the Estraven who was once Prime Minister of Karhide.
(c) Stokven, Therem of Stok.
(d) Estraven, the former prime minster of Karhide who has been granted asylum in Mishnory.
15. What happens to Lord Berosty after his kemmering's death?
(a) Lord Berosty grieves, but eventually finds another kemmering.
(b) He goes mad and hangs himself on the nineteenth day of the month of Thern.
(c) Lord Berosty is tried and executed for the kemmering's murder... on the nineteenth day of the month of Thern.
(d) Lord Berosty relocates permanently to the Thangering Fastness and becomes a monk.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the gender of the inhabitants of Gethen?
2. What name does Estraven give to the doctor while he is in the hospital?
3. The relationship between which two characters is introduced in Chapter 1?
4. How far is Rer from Karhide?
5. What happens to Genly's passport, once he enters Orgoreyn?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)