Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the economic conditions of Getheren's homeland, before and after he takes back his name and shadow?
2. What happens for the first time in Chapter 6?
(a) We see the chapter's events unfold through Genly Ai's eyes.
(b) We understand why Estraven was accused of treason.
(c) We see the themes of love and betrayal introduced.
(d) We see the chapter's events unfold through Estraven's eyes.
3. In Chapter 1, who is Pemmer Harge rem ir Tibe ('Tibe' for short) described as?
(a) The Prime Minister.
(b) The king's cousin.
(c) There is no one in the book by this name.
(d) The mayor of Erhenrang.
4. How long does Genly's journey to Rer, which is described in Chapter 5, take?
(a) Four years.
(b) Four hours.
(c) Four days.
(d) Four weeks.
5. Could the Foretellers answer the Lord of Shorth's question? What happened?
(a) Yes; they knew the answer, but refused to give it to him.
(b) Yes; however, the answer was never recorded and is lost to history.
(c) No; they said no one could possibly know that answer.
(d) No; they clubbed him to death to get out of answering it.
6. Why does the Ekumen send only one representative to Karhide?
(a) The Ekumen believe that one voice speaking truth is a greater force than fleets and armies.
(b) Genly is the only ambassador who knows how to speak the Gethenite language.
(c) They are low on resources.
(d) It is a trick; in actuality, the Ekumen have troops waiting to invade as soon as Genly gives the word to do so.
7. Why is it so monumental that Estraven and Stokven swore kemmering to each other?
(a) They are the same gender.
(b) They are enemies.
(c) They are brothers.
(d) They are of different races.
8. How does Genly's lunch with the Commensals differ from his meeting with King Argaven?
(a) The Commensals, unlike King Argaven, were interested in Genly's mission and in the Ekumen, and wanted to look at his pictures.
(b) The food was much better.
(c) The accommodations were much more luxurious.
(d) There was no difference. The Commensals weren't any more interested than King Argaven was.
9. What happens to Genly's passport, once he enters Orgoreyn?
(a) It is taken from him with promises it will be returned the following day.
(b) It is taken from him, and he is put into jail.
(c) It is stamped and he is granted entry.
(d) He accidentally drops it into the river and loses it.
10. What name does Estraven give to the doctor while he is in the hospital?
(a) Therem Harth.
(b) Therem Ai.
(c) Therem Ashe.
(d) Therem Estraven.
11. What is the price Genly is charged for an audience with the Foretellers?
(a) Two rubies.
(b) One ruby.
(c) Three rubies.
(d) As a First Mobile, he isn't charged anything.
12. What important concept is brought up again in Chapter 10?
(a) Death and life.
(b) Love and betrayal.
(c) Honesty and genuineness.
(d) Facade and veneer.
13. Why must Estraven escape on foot?
(a) He is afraid to fly.
(b) If he uses any conveyance, those aiding him would be liable and would be punished.
(c) He doesn't know how to drive.
(d) His car was confiscated when the exile decree was issued.
14. What answer (in part) does the king receive?
(a) I do not know what makes a man loyal.
(b) I want Gethen to join the Ekumen to promote universal peace and harmony.
(c) I do not know what makes a man a traitor.
(d) I sent Genly to you to ask your nation to join the Ekumen.
15. What is the bridge on the river Ey?
(a) The border between Orgoreyn and Mishnory.
(b) The border between Karhide and Orgoreyn.
(c) A movie about POWs during the Second World War.
(d) The border between Gorinhering and Erhenrang.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Genly do during his time in Otherhord, while he is waiting to be taken to the Foretellers?
2. What is the name of the place where Estraven is granted asylum, to which he must travel?
3. What significance does the Sarf have for Genly?
4. Where does Genly think about going next, and where does he actually decide to go?
5. What do the Investigator's field notes say about being a First Mobile on Winter?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)