|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What unanswerable question did the Lord of Shorth, according to Goss, force the foretellers to answer?
(a) When will I die?
(b) Why is the sky blue?
(c) What is the meaning of life?
(d) What happens after death?
2. What news comes from Argaven's palace during the month of Kus?
(a) The King is pregnant.
(b) The King has vowed kemmer.
(c) The King is dying.
(d) The Queen is pregnant.
3. What happens to Lord Berosty after his kemmering's death?
(a) Lord Berosty grieves, but eventually finds another kemmering.
(b) Lord Berosty is tried and executed for the kemmering's murder... on the nineteenth day of the month of Thern.
(c) He goes mad and hangs himself on the nineteenth day of the month of Thern.
(d) Lord Berosty relocates permanently to the Thangering Fastness and becomes a monk.
4. What does Lord Berosty's kemmering offer in return for being told how long Lord Berosty will live?
(a) He offers his first-born child.
(b) He offers his life.
(c) He offers three cows and a chicken.
(d) He offers his life's savings.
5. Why does Chapter 5 say that Genly has come to Rer?
(a) He wishes to visit a nearby fastness and learn about what Foretellers do.
(b) He is discouraged after his failed meeting with the King and needs a break.
(c) He is looking for a job.
(d) He wants to live on a commune.
6. Which picture offends the king when Genly shows it to him?
(a) A picture of a fellow Gethenian.
(b) A picture of a male from Earth.
(c) A picture of a female from Cime.
(d) A picture of the supreme leader of the Ekumen.
7. Two nights and one day after Estraven and Stokven become kemmers, Estraven is attacked by a party from Stok and presumed killed. Stokven tells his countrymen what to do with Estraven's body. Did they follow Stokven's orders?
(a) No, they leave him in the woods for the wild beasts to eat.
(b) No, they take him to Estre for burial.
(c) Yes, they take him to Estre for burial.
(d) Yes, they leave him in the woods for the wild beasts to eat.
8. What is Genly Ai's mission?
(a) Genly's mission is to convince Gethen to leave the Ekumen of Known Worlds.
(b) Genly's mission is to encourage Erhenrang to secede from Karhide.
(c) Genly doesn't have a mission; he's just sightseeing.
(d) Genly's mission is to negotiate an alliance between Gethen and the Ekumen of Known Worlds.
9. When baby Therem (also called Estraven) grows up, what happens to him?
(a) His kemmering sons attack and wound him after he is named heir of Estre.
(b) He gives birth to a child who will eventually become King Argaven I.
(c) He vows kemmering to Therem of Stok.
(d) His kemmering sons attack and kill him after he is named heir of Estre.
10. It's been pointed out many times in "The Left Hand of Darkness," thus far, that the Gethenians are androgynous. What does "androgynous" mean?
(a) No apparent gender--can't tell whether the being is male or female.
(b) Both genders.
11. What is Genly's opinion of Estraven's presence in Orgoreyn?
(a) He believes it is a complication.
(b) He believes it is a benefit.
(c) He is planning to betray Estraven to Tibe.
(d) He is glad that Estraven was able to find refuge.
12. What is the significance of the title of Chapter 4, "The Nineteenth Day?"
(a) Nineteen is the number of children Lord Berosty is forecasted to have.
(b) The Nineteenth Day is the day, in any month, on which Lord Berosty's kemmering will die.
(c) The Nineteenth Day is the day, in any month, on which Lord Berosty is predicted to die
(d) The nineteenth day, in any month, is Lord Berosty's forecasted wedding date.
13. What is the Gethenians' sexual orientation, according to Chapter 3?
14. What are the important themes of Chapter 2?
(a) Marriage and divorce.
(b) Betrayal and hatred.
(c) Kemmering and love.
(d) Breaking the law and exile.
15. What is Estraven II known throughout history as for his actions?
(a) Estraven the Shrewd.
(b) Estraven the Traitor.
(c) Estraven the Loyal.
(d) Estraven the Idiot.
Short Answer Questions
1. What themes are highlighted in the story told in Chapter 4?
2. What does Genly do during his time in Otherhord, while he is waiting to be taken to the Foretellers?
3. What are the economic conditions of Getheren's homeland, before and after he takes back his name and shadow?
4. What is the Foretellers' answer to the question that Genly asks them?
5. What message does the king ask Genly to send to Hain using his communicator?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)