|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Lord Berosty after his kemmering's death?
(a) Lord Berosty is tried and executed for the kemmering's murder... on the nineteenth day of the month of Thern.
(b) Lord Berosty relocates permanently to the Thangering Fastness and becomes a monk.
(c) He goes mad and hangs himself on the nineteenth day of the month of Thern.
(d) Lord Berosty grieves, but eventually finds another kemmering.
2. What do the Investigator's field notes say about being a First Mobile on Winter?
(a) First Mobiles must have low self-esteem, because anything else is seen as arrogance.
(b) No First Mobile has ever returned from Winter alive.
(c) First Mobiles are accepted as natives.
(d) First Mobiles must be self-assured, because their pride will be tested.
3. What is the mortar the king applies to the Arch's keystone made of?
(a) Ground animal bones mixed with animal blood.
(b) Ground animal bones mixed with human blood.
(d) Ground human bones mixed with human blood.
4. What does Estraven do once he learns of his exile?
(a) He attempts to murder Tibe.
(b) He writes to his former kemmering to ask if he can join him in the Orgny Fastness.
(c) Estraven writes to his former kemmering, telling him to sell certain valuables so that their sons will have money.
(d) He sends a telegram to Genly to ask for his help.
5. What, in the report documented in Chapter 7, does the Investigator say is an "appalling experience?"
(a) Being judged as a Gethenian.
(b) Watching a Gethenian give birth.
(c) Having sex with a Gethenian.
(d) Being judged as a human.
6. After his return to Erhenrang, Genly sends Tibe a note. What is in this note?
(a) A request to reconsider the decree exiling Estraven.
(b) A request to help Genly get permission to enter Orgoreyn.
(c) A request for an explanation of why Tibe is making so many radio addresses.
(d) The question he had asked the Foretellers and the answer they gave him.
7. What takes place between Estraven II and Therem of Stok?
(a) They vow kemmering.
(b) They kill each other.
(c) They vow peace between their two houses.
(d) They vow to continue their feud until one of them dies.
8. How long does Genly's journey to Rer, which is described in Chapter 5, take?
(a) Four weeks.
(b) Four years.
(c) Four hours.
(d) Four days.
9. Why must Estraven escape on foot?
(a) His car was confiscated when the exile decree was issued.
(b) He is afraid to fly.
(c) If he uses any conveyance, those aiding him would be liable and would be punished.
(d) He doesn't know how to drive.
10. What is Estraven II known throughout history as for his actions?
(a) Estraven the Shrewd.
(b) Estraven the Traitor.
(c) Estraven the Loyal.
(d) Estraven the Idiot.
11. What is the nineteenth day of the month known as?
(c) The nineteenth day.
12. How does Genly's lunch with the Commensals differ from his meeting with King Argaven?
(a) There was no difference. The Commensals weren't any more interested than King Argaven was.
(b) The Commensals, unlike King Argaven, were interested in Genly's mission and in the Ekumen, and wanted to look at his pictures.
(c) The food was much better.
(d) The accommodations were much more luxurious.
13. What is the monogamous partnership between two Gethenians called?
14. Before leaving his homeland, what does Getheren do?
(a) He bundles up as warmly as he can to protect himself from the cold.
(b) He vows kemmering to his brother, which earns him a death sentence.
(c) He steals the Hearth's wealth, thereby plunging it into poverty.
(d) He lays a curse upon the Hearth that plunges it into poverty.
15. Where does Genly live during the month of Kus?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who finds Getheren on the ninth day after he leaves his homeland?
2. What does Genly learn during his lunch with the local politicians?
3. What name does Estraven give to the doctor while he is in the hospital?
4. What does Genly carry in the case that he brings to his meeting with King Argaven?
5. What is the Gethenians' mating cycle known as?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)