|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Genly live during the month of Kus?
2. What important concept is brought up again in Chapter 10?
(a) Love and betrayal.
(b) Facade and veneer.
(c) Honesty and genuineness.
(d) Death and life.
3. Why is it so monumental that Estraven and Stokven swore kemmering to each other?
(a) They are the same gender.
(b) They are of different races.
(c) They are enemies.
(d) They are brothers.
4. Where does the story in Chapter 2 take place?
(c) The Hearth of Orhoch.
(d) The Hearth of Shath.
5. Who tells Getheren that he is in danger of suicide?
(b) Hode, his brother and kemmering.
(c) Genly Ai.
(d) The Lord of Shath.
6. When a Gethenian becomes sexually active and finds a partner, what happens?
(a) Hormones kick in, and female genitalia develop.
(b) Hormones kick in, and male genitalia develop.
(c) Hormones kick in, and both male and female genitalia develop.
(d) Hormones kick in, and either male or female genitalia develop.
7. It's been pointed out many times in "The Left Hand of Darkness," thus far, that the Gethenians are androgynous. What does "androgynous" mean?
(a) No apparent gender--can't tell whether the being is male or female.
(b) Both genders.
8. Which picture offends the king when Genly shows it to him?
(a) A picture of the supreme leader of the Ekumen.
(b) A picture of a female from Cime.
(c) A picture of a male from Earth.
(d) A picture of a fellow Gethenian.
9. Where does Estraven find employment in his new home?
(a) He lives on a commune and helps with field labor and gardening.
(b) He works as an orderly in the hospital.
(c) He remains unemployed and dependent on charity.
(d) He works in the ice-houses, packing fish.
10. What significance does the Sarf have for Genly?
(a) Slose, the head of the Sarf, thinks Genly is a fake--this puts him in danger of arrest.
(b) Gaum, the head of the Sarf, thinks Genly is a fake--this puts him in danger of arrest.
(c) Genly is an ambassador; therefore, the Sarf has no significance for him because of his political immunity.
(d) Gaum, the head of the Sarf, accepts Genly--this means he is safe from arrest.
11. After leaving Kuseben, where does Estraven first land?
(a) The Gulf of Charisune.
(c) Shelt Port, Orgoreyn.
(d) The Orgny Fastness.
12. What is the name of the place where Estraven is granted asylum, to which he must travel?
(b) South Mishnory.
(c) The Township of Mishnory.
(d) Therem Harth.
13. What literary construct is intended by the introduction into the story of Argaven's pregnancy?
14. Is Lord Berosty satisfied with the answer he receives? Why?
(a) No. He wants to know the month and year as well.
(b) Yes. He knows that only three months of the year have nineteen days.
(c) Yes. Nineteen is his favorite number.
(d) No. He wants the answer to be a different day than the nineteenth.
15. Why does Chapter 5 say that Genly has come to Rer?
(a) He wants to live on a commune.
(b) He is discouraged after his failed meeting with the King and needs a break.
(c) He wishes to visit a nearby fastness and learn about what Foretellers do.
(d) He is looking for a job.
Short Answer Questions
1. Do Gethenians become pregnant as males, or as females?
2. What is the nineteenth day of the month known as?
3. What do the Commensals want to do with the information Genly gives to them during lunch?
4. What is the nature of the request made by Genly Ai in Chapter 6?
5. When Getheren leaves Orhoch, what name does he travel under?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)