|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Genly live during the month of Kus?
2. What religion are the Foretellers?
3. What does Lord Berosty do after receiving his Foretelling?
(a) He commits suicide immediately.
(b) He decides to live life to the fullest and starts living like a daredevil.
(c) He kills his kemmering.
(d) He returns to one of his family domains and locks himself in the Hearth-Tower for ten months.
4. Why must Estraven escape on foot?
(a) He doesn't know how to drive.
(b) If he uses any conveyance, those aiding him would be liable and would be punished.
(c) He is afraid to fly.
(d) His car was confiscated when the exile decree was issued.
5. Where does Estraven find employment in his new home?
(a) He remains unemployed and dependent on charity.
(b) He lives on a commune and helps with field labor and gardening.
(c) He works as an orderly in the hospital.
(d) He works in the ice-houses, packing fish.
6. What is the Foretellers' answer to the question that Genly asks them?
(c) The question is unanswerable.
7. Who finds Getheren on the ninth day after he leaves his homeland?
(a) The posse sent by the Lord of Hearth.
(c) The people of Orhoch Hearth.
(d) No one; he dies of exposure as a result.
8. Are there any long-term effects of Getheren's long exposure to the cold?
(a) No. He is dressed warmly enough to protect himself.
(b) Yes. He loses his left hand to frostbite.
(c) Yes. He loses his right foot to frostbite.
(d) No. Those inhabiting Karhide are not susceptible to the cold.
9. Where does Genly think about going next, and where does he actually decide to go?
(a) Orgoreyn/the Fastnesses.
(b) The Pering Ice/the Gobrin Ice.
(c) The Fastnesses/Orgoreyn.
(d) The Gobrin Ice/the Pering Ice.
10. If a Gethenian becomes pregnant, how long is the gestation period (i.e., the amount of time it takes before the baby is born)?
(a) 9 months.
(b) 8.4 months.
(c) Gethenians don't experience pregnancy.
(d) 4.8 months.
11. What is the result of Genly's meeting with the king?
(a) The meeting is successful; Karhide becomes part of the Ekumen.
(b) The meeting is not successful; the king is not interested in Karhide becoming part of the Ekumen.
(c) It is a good "get to know you" meeting; the king is interested in learning more about the Ekumen and schedules a second discussion with Genly.
(d) The king is so offended by Genly's pictures that he has Genly imprisoned.
12. On what day of the month is Genly allowed to visit the Nine Foretellers and ask his question?
(a) Odstreth, the 19th.
(b) Onnetherhad, the 19th.
(c) Onnetherhad, the 18th.
(d) Odstreth, the 18th.
13. How long does Genly's journey to Rer, which is described in Chapter 5, take?
(a) Four weeks.
(b) Four years.
(c) Four hours.
(d) Four days.
14. What themes are highlighted in the story told in Chapter 4?
(a) Love and hatred.
(b) Love and betrayal.
(c) Suicide and murder.
(d) Obsession and compulsion.
15. By the end of Chapter 10, what is Genly starting to realize?
(a) He's starting to realize that his first impressions were wrong and that Karhide is much more advanced and civilized than Orgoreyn.
(b) He's starting to realize that his initial impressions were accurate and that Orgoreyn is much more advanced and civilized than Karhide.
(c) He's starting to realize that something's not quite right; Orgoreyn isn't as it appears.
(d) He's starting to realize that the secret police, not the King, are running Karhide.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the mysterious man give the warder at Estre Gate?
2. How does Genly Ai spend the summer?
3. What is the advice that Estraven gives Genly during his visit to Genly's apartment in Mishnory?
4. Whose name comes up during Estraven's dinner conversation with Commensals Yegey and Obsle?
5. What is the price Genly is charged for an audience with the Foretellers?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)