|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the price Genly is charged for an audience with the Foretellers?
(a) Three rubies.
(b) Two rubies.
(c) As a First Mobile, he isn't charged anything.
(d) One ruby.
2. It's been pointed out many times in "The Left Hand of Darkness," thus far, that the Gethenians are androgynous. What does "androgynous" mean?
(b) Both genders.
(d) No apparent gender--can't tell whether the being is male or female.
3. What is the period of time during which a Gethenian is sexually inactive called?
4. What is the result of Genly's meeting with the king?
(a) The meeting is not successful; the king is not interested in Karhide becoming part of the Ekumen.
(b) The meeting is successful; Karhide becomes part of the Ekumen.
(c) The king is so offended by Genly's pictures that he has Genly imprisoned.
(d) It is a good "get to know you" meeting; the king is interested in learning more about the Ekumen and schedules a second discussion with Genly.
5. Between which two domains is the blood feud in Chapter 9?
(a) The Domain of Shath and the Domain of Estre.
(b) The Domain of Shath and the Domain of Stok.
(c) The Domain of Karhide and the Domain of Orgoreyn.
(d) The Domain of Stok and the Domain of Estre.
6. Where does Genly think about going next, and where does he actually decide to go?
(a) The Gobrin Ice/the Pering Ice.
(b) The Fastnesses/Orgoreyn.
(c) The Pering Ice/the Gobrin Ice.
(d) Orgoreyn/the Fastnesses.
7. Who wants to bring the ship to Orgota?
(a) Yegey and Slose.
(b) Slose and Gaum.
(c) Genly and Estraven.
(d) Yegey and Obsle.
8. What is the purpose of Genly's meeting with the king?
(a) To pledge kemmering to the king.
(b) To convince the king that he is an envoy from another planet, and to start a dialogue about Gethen becoming part of the Ekumen.
(c) To ask permission to travel to Orgoreyn.
(d) To talk to the king about Estraven.
9. What does Lord Berosty's kemmering offer in return for being told how long Lord Berosty will live?
(a) He offers his life.
(b) He offers three cows and a chicken.
(c) He offers his first-born child.
(d) He offers his life's savings.
10. What is the name of the place where Estraven is granted asylum, to which he must travel?
(a) South Mishnory.
(c) Therem Harth.
(d) The Township of Mishnory.
11. What do the Investigator's field notes say about being a First Mobile on Winter?
(a) First Mobiles must be self-assured, because their pride will be tested.
(b) First Mobiles are accepted as natives.
(c) First Mobiles must have low self-esteem, because anything else is seen as arrogance.
(d) No First Mobile has ever returned from Winter alive.
12. What are the two themes that are introduced in Chapter 1?
(a) Betrayal and fear of the unknown.
(b) Love and betrayal.
(c) Journey and discovery.
(d) Religion and spirituality.
13. Before he dies, what does Estraven II do?
(a) He wins the feud with Stok without any loss of land.
(b) He ends the feud with Stok by giving half the disputed land to the Domain of Stok.
(c) He wins the feud with Stok and claims the entire Domain for Estre.
(d) He loses the feud with Stok, and Estre becoms part of the Domain of Stok.
14. Whose name comes up during Estraven's dinner conversation with Commensals Yegey and Obsle?
(a) The Lord Bishory.
(b) Genly Ai.
15. When Genly finally gets to Mishnory, whom does he find there?
(a) King Argaven.
(b) Prime Minister Tibe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Investigator who documents Gethenians' androgyny?
2. When Stokven realizes he was lied to, what does he do?
3. What does Odren tell Lord Berosty's kemmering?
4. What is the name of Karhide's king?
5. Could the Foretellers answer the Lord of Shorth's question? What happened?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)