|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Genly think about going next, and where does he actually decide to go?
(a) The Gobrin Ice/the Pering Ice.
(b) Orgoreyn/the Fastnesses.
(c) The Fastnesses/Orgoreyn.
(d) The Pering Ice/the Gobrin Ice.
2. What is the period of time during which a Gethenian is sexually active called?
3. The planet on which Genly Ai is stationed is called 'Gethen' by its inhabitants. What do humans know this planet as?
(c) Formaldehyde 5.
4. What is the origin of the story told in Chapter 4?
(a) East Karhide.
(d) West Karhide.
5. Shortly after his arrival in Orgoreyn, Genly is invited to lunch with Commensals Obsle and Yegey. What information does Genly divulge to his hosts during this luncheon?
(a) He tells them that his ship is in Orgoreyn and invites them for a visit.
(b) He tells them about his ship, and also that a Star Ship is currently orbiting the planet.
(c) He tells them that Tibe is trying to start a war with Orgoreyn.
(d) He tells them about his ship, and also that a NAFAL ship is orbiting the planet.
6. After his return to Erhenrang, Genly sends Tibe a note. What is in this note?
(a) A request to reconsider the decree exiling Estraven.
(b) A request for an explanation of why Tibe is making so many radio addresses.
(c) A request to help Genly get permission to enter Orgoreyn.
(d) The question he had asked the Foretellers and the answer they gave him.
7. What does the mysterious man give the warder at Estre Gate?
(a) News of Estraven's (otherwise known as Arek of Estre) death.
(b) A baby, whom he says is Therem, the son's son of Estre.
(c) A note from Therem of Stok requesting parley with the Lord of Estre.
(d) The Domain of Stok's war plans.
8. What is the price Genly is charged for an audience with the Foretellers?
(a) One ruby.
(b) Three rubies.
(c) Two rubies.
(d) As a First Mobile, he isn't charged anything.
9. Before leaving his homeland, what does Getheren do?
(a) He vows kemmering to his brother, which earns him a death sentence.
(b) He bundles up as warmly as he can to protect himself from the cold.
(c) He steals the Hearth's wealth, thereby plunging it into poverty.
(d) He lays a curse upon the Hearth that plunges it into poverty.
10. What is the significance of the title of Chapter 4, "The Nineteenth Day?"
(a) The Nineteenth Day is the day, in any month, on which Lord Berosty is predicted to die
(b) Nineteen is the number of children Lord Berosty is forecasted to have.
(c) The nineteenth day, in any month, is Lord Berosty's forecasted wedding date.
(d) The Nineteenth Day is the day, in any month, on which Lord Berosty's kemmering will die.
11. What happens to Getheren on the third morning after his departure from his homeland?
(a) He commits suicide.
(b) He is rescued and granted asylum by his rescuers.
(c) His hands and feet are frostbitten.
(d) He finds shelter in an abandoned hunting camp.
12. It's been pointed out many times in "The Left Hand of Darkness," thus far, that the Gethenians are androgynous. What does "androgynous" mean?
(b) No apparent gender--can't tell whether the being is male or female.
(c) Both genders.
13. What happens to Lord Berosty after his kemmering's death?
(a) Lord Berosty grieves, but eventually finds another kemmering.
(b) Lord Berosty is tried and executed for the kemmering's murder... on the nineteenth day of the month of Thern.
(c) He goes mad and hangs himself on the nineteenth day of the month of Thern.
(d) Lord Berosty relocates permanently to the Thangering Fastness and becomes a monk.
14. What does Lord Berosty do after receiving his Foretelling?
(a) He kills his kemmering.
(b) He returns to one of his family domains and locks himself in the Hearth-Tower for ten months.
(c) He commits suicide immediately.
(d) He decides to live life to the fullest and starts living like a daredevil.
15. What are the economic conditions of Getheren's homeland, before and after he takes back his name and shadow?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the monogamous partnership between two Gethenians called?
2. Two nights and one day after Estraven and Stokven become kemmers, Estraven is attacked by a party from Stok and presumed killed. Stokven tells his countrymen what to do with Estraven's body. Did they follow Stokven's orders?
3. What is the Gethenians' sexual orientation, according to Chapter 3?
4. What name does Estraven give to the doctor while he is in the hospital?
5. Which picture offends the king when Genly shows it to him?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)