|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Between which two domains is the blood feud in Chapter 9?
(a) The Domain of Shath and the Domain of Estre.
(b) The Domain of Karhide and the Domain of Orgoreyn.
(c) The Domain of Shath and the Domain of Stok.
(d) The Domain of Stok and the Domain of Estre.
2. How does Genly finance the trip he takes in Chapter 5?
(a) He sells two of his rubies.
(b) He sells one of his rubies.
(c) He charges it on his credit card.
(d) He pays for it with cash.
3. What does Estraven do once he learns of his exile?
(a) Estraven writes to his former kemmering, telling him to sell certain valuables so that their sons will have money.
(b) He attempts to murder Tibe.
(c) He sends a telegram to Genly to ask for his help.
(d) He writes to his former kemmering to ask if he can join him in the Orgny Fastness.
4. When does the story in Chapter 2 take place?
(a) 10 years in the future.
(c) 50 years ago.
(d) 200 years ago.
5. When baby Therem (also called Estraven) grows up, what happens to him?
(a) His kemmering sons attack and wound him after he is named heir of Estre.
(b) He gives birth to a child who will eventually become King Argaven I.
(c) His kemmering sons attack and kill him after he is named heir of Estre.
(d) He vows kemmering to Therem of Stok.
6. Two nights and one day after Estraven and Stokven become kemmers, Estraven is attacked by a party from Stok and presumed killed. Stokven tells his countrymen what to do with Estraven's body. Did they follow Stokven's orders?
(a) No, they take him to Estre for burial.
(b) Yes, they leave him in the woods for the wild beasts to eat.
(c) No, they leave him in the woods for the wild beasts to eat.
(d) Yes, they take him to Estre for burial.
7. What important concept is brought up again in Chapter 10?
(a) Facade and veneer.
(b) Love and betrayal.
(c) Honesty and genuineness.
(d) Death and life.
8. What is the climate on the planet Gethen, year-round?
(a) Warm and sunny.
(b) Cool and rainy.
(c) The planet experiences all four seasons.
(d) Cold and freezing.
9. What does Genly carry in the case that he brings to his meeting with King Argaven?
(a) His ansible communicator.
(b) His ansible communicator and pictures.
(d) Money and gifts that were sent by the Ekumen to the king.
10. When Stokven realizes he was lied to, what does he do?
(a) He banishes the men who lied to him.
(b) He gives up his position and relocates permanently to a fastness.
(c) He becomes a traitor to his country and moves to Estre.
(d) He kills the men who lied to him.
11. Which picture offends the king when Genly shows it to him?
(a) A picture of a fellow Gethenian.
(b) A picture of the supreme leader of the Ekumen.
(c) A picture of a male from Earth.
(d) A picture of a female from Cime.
12. What happens to Getheren on the third morning after his departure from his homeland?
(a) He is rescued and granted asylum by his rescuers.
(b) He commits suicide.
(c) He finds shelter in an abandoned hunting camp.
(d) His hands and feet are frostbitten.
13. What do the Investigator's field notes say about being a First Mobile on Winter?
(a) First Mobiles must have low self-esteem, because anything else is seen as arrogance.
(b) No First Mobile has ever returned from Winter alive.
(c) First Mobiles are accepted as natives.
(d) First Mobiles must be self-assured, because their pride will be tested.
14. What takes place between Estraven II and Therem of Stok?
(a) They kill each other.
(b) They vow to continue their feud until one of them dies.
(c) They vow kemmering.
(d) They vow peace between their two houses.
15. The planet on which Genly Ai is stationed is called 'Gethen' by its inhabitants. What do humans know this planet as?
(b) Formaldehyde 5.
Short Answer Questions
1. What answer (in part) does the king receive?
2. It's been pointed out many times in "The Left Hand of Darkness," thus far, that the Gethenians are androgynous. What does "androgynous" mean?
3. What is the name of the Investigator who documents Gethenians' androgyny?
4. What is the proclamation made just before Genly is taken in to see the king?
5. What is the Gethenians' mating cycle known as?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)