|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose name comes up during Estraven's dinner conversation with Commensals Yegey and Obsle?
(c) The Lord Bishory.
(d) Genly Ai.
2. What does Estraven do once he learns of his exile?
(a) Estraven writes to his former kemmering, telling him to sell certain valuables so that their sons will have money.
(b) He sends a telegram to Genly to ask for his help.
(c) He attempts to murder Tibe.
(d) He writes to his former kemmering to ask if he can join him in the Orgny Fastness.
3. What name does Estraven give to the doctor while he is in the hospital?
(a) Therem Harth.
(b) Therem Estraven.
(c) Therem Ashe.
(d) Therem Ai.
4. What unanswerable question did the Lord of Shorth, according to Goss, force the foretellers to answer?
(a) When will I die?
(b) What happens after death?
(c) What is the meaning of life?
(d) Why is the sky blue?
5. Where does the story in Chapter 2 take place?
(a) The Hearth of Orhoch.
(b) The Hearth of Shath.
6. What is the nature of the request made by Genly Ai in Chapter 6?
(a) He asks to be taken to Shelt Port.
(b) He asks Estraven to pledge kemmering to him.
(c) He requests asylum in Orgoreyn.
(d) He requests permission to enter the Commensality.
7. What are the important themes of Chapter 2?
(a) Kemmering and love.
(b) Betrayal and hatred.
(c) Breaking the law and exile.
(d) Marriage and divorce.
8. Could the Foretellers answer the Lord of Shorth's question? What happened?
(a) Yes; they knew the answer, but refused to give it to him.
(b) Yes; however, the answer was never recorded and is lost to history.
(c) No; they clubbed him to death to get out of answering it.
(d) No; they said no one could possibly know that answer.
9. Who visits Genly the morning following the dinner with which Chapter 8 ends?
(b) The Commensals.
10. What does Lord Berosty's kemmering offer in return for being told how long Lord Berosty will live?
(a) He offers his first-born child.
(b) He offers his life.
(c) He offers his life's savings.
(d) He offers three cows and a chicken.
11. What is Genly's opinion of Estraven's presence in Orgoreyn?
(a) He is glad that Estraven was able to find refuge.
(b) He believes it is a benefit.
(c) He believes it is a complication.
(d) He is planning to betray Estraven to Tibe.
12. In this story, what does the main character, Lord Berosty, do?
(a) Lord Berosty asks the Weaver Odren if he will ever get married.
(b) Lord Berosty asks the Weaver Odren how many children he will have.
(c) Lord Berosty requests a Foretelling of the Weaver Odren as to what day his kemmering will die.
(d) Lord Berosty requests a Foretelling of the Weaver Odren as to what day he will die.
13. When baby Therem (also called Estraven) grows up, what happens to him?
(a) His kemmering sons attack and kill him after he is named heir of Estre.
(b) He vows kemmering to Therem of Stok.
(c) His kemmering sons attack and wound him after he is named heir of Estre.
(d) He gives birth to a child who will eventually become King Argaven I.
14. What does Genly carry in the case that he brings to his meeting with King Argaven?
(a) His ansible communicator and pictures.
(b) Money and gifts that were sent by the Ekumen to the king.
(d) His ansible communicator.
15. Do Gethenians become pregnant as males, or as females?
(b) Either gender can become pregnant.
(d) Gethenians don't experience pregnancy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Gethenians' sexual orientation, according to Chapter 3?
2. What is the name of Karhide's king?
3. Are there any long-term effects of Getheren's long exposure to the cold?
4. Why does the Ekumen send only one representative to Karhide?
5. After he loses his registration due to a change in the Alien Registry Law, what happens to Estraven?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)