|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Genly think about going next, and where does he actually decide to go?
(a) The Fastnesses/Orgoreyn.
(b) The Pering Ice/the Gobrin Ice.
(c) Orgoreyn/the Fastnesses.
(d) The Gobrin Ice/the Pering Ice.
2. Who is waiting for Estraven at the city gate when he arrives in Kuseben?
(b) Genly Ai.
(c) His two sons.
(d) Ashe, his former kemmering.
3. What is the significance of the title of Chapter 4, "The Nineteenth Day?"
(a) The Nineteenth Day is the day, in any month, on which Lord Berosty is predicted to die
(b) The Nineteenth Day is the day, in any month, on which Lord Berosty's kemmering will die.
(c) The nineteenth day, in any month, is Lord Berosty's forecasted wedding date.
(d) Nineteen is the number of children Lord Berosty is forecasted to have.
4. Which picture offends the king when Genly shows it to him?
(a) A picture of a female from Cime.
(b) A picture of the supreme leader of the Ekumen.
(c) A picture of a male from Earth.
(d) A picture of a fellow Gethenian.
5. What happens for the first time in Chapter 6?
(a) We see the themes of love and betrayal introduced.
(b) We see the chapter's events unfold through Genly Ai's eyes.
(c) We see the chapter's events unfold through Estraven's eyes.
(d) We understand why Estraven was accused of treason.
6. Where does the second Estraven in Chapter 9 (Estraven II) wind up after his failed hunting trip?
(a) The home of Therem of Stok.
(b) Back home in Estre.
(c) Falling into Icefoot Lake and drowning.
(d) Dying in the wilderness, with his body eaten by wild beasts.
7. When baby Therem (also called Estraven) grows up, what happens to him?
(a) He gives birth to a child who will eventually become King Argaven I.
(b) His kemmering sons attack and wound him after he is named heir of Estre.
(c) He vows kemmering to Therem of Stok.
(d) His kemmering sons attack and kill him after he is named heir of Estre.
8. What is Genly's opinion of Estraven's presence in Orgoreyn?
(a) He is glad that Estraven was able to find refuge.
(b) He is planning to betray Estraven to Tibe.
(c) He believes it is a benefit.
(d) He believes it is a complication.
9. What is the name of the place where Estraven is granted asylum, to which he must travel?
(a) South Mishnory.
(b) The Township of Mishnory.
(c) Therem Harth.
10. Why does Genly wind up on a communal farm?
(a) He enjoyed his communal experience in Otherhord so much, he wants to relive it.
(b) He is broke and needs money.
(c) He has to flee without his passport when fighting starts between Karhide and Orgoreyn..
(d) He is taken as a prisoner of war, and the farm is where all POWs are being held.
11. What themes are highlighted in the story told in Chapter 4?
(a) Suicide and murder.
(b) Love and hatred.
(c) Love and betrayal.
(d) Obsession and compulsion.
12. After leaving Kuseben, where does Estraven first land?
(a) The Orgny Fastness.
(b) The Gulf of Charisune.
(c) Shelt Port, Orgoreyn.
13. What is the mortar the king applies to the Arch's keystone made of?
(b) Ground animal bones mixed with animal blood.
(c) Ground human bones mixed with human blood.
(d) Ground animal bones mixed with human blood.
14. Why does Berosty kill his kemmering after his return from Thangering Fastness and Weaver Odren?
(a) Berosty didn't want his kemmering to approach Weaver Odren, and the kemmering had disobeyed his orders.
(b) The kemmering didn't ask *how long* Lord Berosty would live, but instead *when* Lord Berosty would die.
(c) Berosty discovered his partner had broken kemmering.
(d) He didn't ask *when* Lord Berosty would die, but *how long* Lord Berosty would live.
15. In Chapter 1, who is Pemmer Harge rem ir Tibe ('Tibe' for short) described as?
(a) The king's cousin.
(b) The Prime Minister.
(c) The mayor of Erhenrang.
(d) There is no one in the book by this name.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does Estraven give to the doctor while he is in the hospital?
2. Where does Estraven find employment in his new home?
3. Are there any long-term effects of Getheren's long exposure to the cold?
4. What does Estraven do once he learns of his exile?
5. What does Odren tell Lord Berosty's kemmering?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)