|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the place where Estraven is granted asylum, to which he must travel?
(a) Therem Harth.
(b) The Township of Mishnory.
(d) South Mishnory.
2. What are the economic conditions of Getheren's homeland, before and after he takes back his name and shadow?
3. Do Gethenians become pregnant as males, or as females?
(b) Either gender can become pregnant.
(c) Gethenians don't experience pregnancy.
4. Why does Genly wind up on a communal farm?
(a) He is taken as a prisoner of war, and the farm is where all POWs are being held.
(b) He enjoyed his communal experience in Otherhord so much, he wants to relive it.
(c) He is broke and needs money.
(d) He has to flee without his passport when fighting starts between Karhide and Orgoreyn..
5. This city is the capital of the nation of Karhide:
(b) The Island.
6. The planet on which Genly Ai is stationed is called 'Gethen' by its inhabitants. What do humans know this planet as?
(c) Formaldehyde 5.
7. Why must Estraven escape on foot?
(a) If he uses any conveyance, those aiding him would be liable and would be punished.
(b) He doesn't know how to drive.
(c) He is afraid to fly.
(d) His car was confiscated when the exile decree was issued.
8. What happens to Getheren on the third morning after his departure from his homeland?
(a) His hands and feet are frostbitten.
(b) He commits suicide.
(c) He finds shelter in an abandoned hunting camp.
(d) He is rescued and granted asylum by his rescuers.
9. What is the name of the Investigator who documents Gethenians' androgyny?
(a) Ong Tot Oppong.
(b) Oppong Ong Tot.
(c) Tot Ong Oppong.
(d) Oppong Tot Ong.
10. What name does Estraven give the man who rescues him?
(b) Therem of Stok.
(c) Therem of Estre.
(d) Arek of Estre.
11. What happens to Lord Berosty after his kemmering's death?
(a) Lord Berosty relocates permanently to the Thangering Fastness and becomes a monk.
(b) Lord Berosty is tried and executed for the kemmering's murder... on the nineteenth day of the month of Thern.
(c) He goes mad and hangs himself on the nineteenth day of the month of Thern.
(d) Lord Berosty grieves, but eventually finds another kemmering.
12. Who is the story in Chapter 9 about?
(a) Stokven, Therem of Stok.
(b) King Argaven's ancestors.
(c) Estraven, the former prime minster of Karhide who has been granted asylum in Mishnory.
(d) Estraven, an ancestor of the Estraven who was once Prime Minister of Karhide.
13. Before he dies, what does Estraven II do?
(a) He wins the feud with Stok without any loss of land.
(b) He wins the feud with Stok and claims the entire Domain for Estre.
(c) He ends the feud with Stok by giving half the disputed land to the Domain of Stok.
(d) He loses the feud with Stok, and Estre becoms part of the Domain of Stok.
14. What is the nineteenth day of the month known as?
(a) The nineteenth day.
15. What important concept is brought up again in Chapter 10?
(a) Honesty and genuineness.
(b) Facade and veneer.
(c) Love and betrayal.
(d) Death and life.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the nature of the request made by Genly Ai in Chapter 6?
2. What does Genly do during his time in Otherhord, while he is waiting to be taken to the Foretellers?
3. What is the purpose of Genly's meeting with the king?
4. In this story, what does the main character, Lord Berosty, do?
5. What is the Sarf?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)