|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What, in the report documented in Chapter 7, does the Investigator say is an "appalling experience?"
(a) Being judged as a human.
(b) Having sex with a Gethenian.
(c) Watching a Gethenian give birth.
(d) Being judged as a Gethenian.
2. What does the mysterious man give the warder at Estre Gate?
(a) News of Estraven's (otherwise known as Arek of Estre) death.
(b) The Domain of Stok's war plans.
(c) A note from Therem of Stok requesting parley with the Lord of Estre.
(d) A baby, whom he says is Therem, the son's son of Estre.
3. Who finds Getheren on the ninth day after he leaves his homeland?
(b) No one; he dies of exposure as a result.
(c) The people of Orhoch Hearth.
(d) The posse sent by the Lord of Hearth.
4. What significance does the Sarf have for Genly?
(a) Gaum, the head of the Sarf, accepts Genly--this means he is safe from arrest.
(b) Genly is an ambassador; therefore, the Sarf has no significance for him because of his political immunity.
(c) Slose, the head of the Sarf, thinks Genly is a fake--this puts him in danger of arrest.
(d) Gaum, the head of the Sarf, thinks Genly is a fake--this puts him in danger of arrest.
5. How does Genly Ai spend the summer?
(a) Genly spends the summer in Karhide, hiding from Tibe.
(b) Genly spends the summer in Passerer, trying o avert war with Siuwensin.
(c) Genly spends the summer in Mishnory, working in the ice-house with Estraven.
(d) Genly spends the summer traveling, observing, and listening.
6. Before leaving his homeland, what does Getheren do?
(a) He vows kemmering to his brother, which earns him a death sentence.
(b) He lays a curse upon the Hearth that plunges it into poverty.
(c) He bundles up as warmly as he can to protect himself from the cold.
(d) He steals the Hearth's wealth, thereby plunging it into poverty.
7. What is Genly's opinion of Estraven's presence in Orgoreyn?
(a) He is planning to betray Estraven to Tibe.
(b) He believes it is a benefit.
(c) He believes it is a complication.
(d) He is glad that Estraven was able to find refuge.
8. Whose name comes up during Estraven's dinner conversation with Commensals Yegey and Obsle?
(b) Genly Ai.
(c) The Lord Bishory.
9. What is the origin of the story told in Chapter 4?
(a) East Karhide.
(b) West Karhide.
10. What are the important themes of Chapter 2?
(a) Betrayal and hatred.
(b) Breaking the law and exile.
(c) Marriage and divorce.
(d) Kemmering and love.
11. What happens for the first time in Chapter 6?
(a) We see the chapter's events unfold through Genly Ai's eyes.
(b) We understand why Estraven was accused of treason.
(c) We see the chapter's events unfold through Estraven's eyes.
(d) We see the themes of love and betrayal introduced.
12. When Genly finally gets to Mishnory, whom does he find there?
(a) Prime Minister Tibe.
(b) King Argaven.
13. When baby Therem (also called Estraven) grows up, what happens to him?
(a) He gives birth to a child who will eventually become King Argaven I.
(b) His kemmering sons attack and wound him after he is named heir of Estre.
(c) His kemmering sons attack and kill him after he is named heir of Estre.
(d) He vows kemmering to Therem of Stok.
14. The planet on which Genly Ai is stationed is called 'Gethen' by its inhabitants. What do humans know this planet as?
(b) Formaldehyde 5.
15. What name does Estraven give the man who rescues him?
(a) Arek of Estre.
(b) Therem of Stok.
(d) Therem of Estre.
Short Answer Questions
1. If a Gethenian becomes pregnant, how long is the gestation period (i.e., the amount of time it takes before the baby is born)?
2. This city is the capital of the nation of Karhide:
3. What is the Foretellers' answer to the question that Genly asks them?
4. When Getheren leaves Orhoch, what name does he travel under?
5. What does Odren tell Lord Berosty's kemmering?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)