|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Is Lord Berosty satisfied with the answer he receives? Why?
(a) No. He wants to know the month and year as well.
(b) No. He wants the answer to be a different day than the nineteenth.
(c) Yes. Nineteen is his favorite number.
(d) Yes. He knows that only three months of the year have nineteen days.
2. What is the purpose of Genly's meeting with the king?
(a) To pledge kemmering to the king.
(b) To convince the king that he is an envoy from another planet, and to start a dialogue about Gethen becoming part of the Ekumen.
(c) To ask permission to travel to Orgoreyn.
(d) To talk to the king about Estraven.
3. What is the nature of the request made by Genly Ai in Chapter 6?
(a) He asks to be taken to Shelt Port.
(b) He asks Estraven to pledge kemmering to him.
(c) He requests permission to enter the Commensality.
(d) He requests asylum in Orgoreyn.
4. What answer (in part) does the king receive?
(a) I do not know what makes a man loyal.
(b) I sent Genly to you to ask your nation to join the Ekumen.
(c) I want Gethen to join the Ekumen to promote universal peace and harmony.
(d) I do not know what makes a man a traitor.
5. Why does Genly return to Erhenrang in Chapter 8 after spending his summer on the Eastern Coast?
(a) He doesn't want to spend the winter in Old Karhide.
(b) He wants to plead Estraven's case.
(c) He wants to be present for the birth of the King's child.
(d) He wants to warn the King about Tibe.
6. What is Genly's opinion of Estraven's presence in Orgoreyn?
(a) He believes it is a complication.
(b) He is glad that Estraven was able to find refuge.
(c) He is planning to betray Estraven to Tibe.
(d) He believes it is a benefit.
7. After his return to Erhenrang, Genly sends Tibe a note. What is in this note?
(a) A request to help Genly get permission to enter Orgoreyn.
(b) A request to reconsider the decree exiling Estraven.
(c) The question he had asked the Foretellers and the answer they gave him.
(d) A request for an explanation of why Tibe is making so many radio addresses.
8. What does Estraven do once he learns of his exile?
(a) He attempts to murder Tibe.
(b) He writes to his former kemmering to ask if he can join him in the Orgny Fastness.
(c) He sends a telegram to Genly to ask for his help.
(d) Estraven writes to his former kemmering, telling him to sell certain valuables so that their sons will have money.
9. How far is Rer from Karhide?
(a) 1,100 miles.
(b) 11,000 miles.
(c) 110 miles.
(d) 11 miles.
10. Where does Genly think about going next, and where does he actually decide to go?
(a) The Fastnesses/Orgoreyn.
(b) The Gobrin Ice/the Pering Ice.
(c) Orgoreyn/the Fastnesses.
(d) The Pering Ice/the Gobrin Ice.
11. The relationship between which two characters is introduced in Chapter 1?
(a) King Argaven and Tibe.
(b) Genly Ai and Estraven.
(c) Estraven and Tibe.
(d) Genly Ai and King Argaven.
12. What does Genly ask the Foretellers?
(a) Will Gethen become a member of the Ekumen of the Known Worlds within five years?
(b) Will Karhide be a member of the Ekumen of the Known Worlds within seven years?
(c) Will Gethen be a member of the Ekumen of the Known Worlds within seven years?
(d) Will Karhide be a member of the Ekumen of the Known Worlds within five years?
13. What is the Gethenians' mating cycle known as?
(c) Being in heat.
(d) Mating cycle.
14. What is the Sarf?
(a) It is the national church system.
(b) It is the nation's trash-removal service. "Sarf" means "trash."
(c) It is the name for the court of the king of Orgoreyn.
(d) It is a secret police bureau that looks out for false registries, forgeries, and unauthorized travel.
15. What is the name of the place where Estraven is granted asylum, to which he must travel?
(a) South Mishnory.
(b) The Township of Mishnory.
(c) Therem Harth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Lord Berosty's kemmering?
2. Who wants to bring the ship to Orgota?
3. What happens to Getheren on the third morning after his departure from his homeland?
4. What is the proclamation made just before Genly is taken in to see the king?
5. What is the price Genly is charged for an audience with the Foretellers?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)