|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How far is Rer from Karhide?
(a) 1,100 miles.
(b) 11,000 miles.
(c) 11 miles.
(d) 110 miles.
2. How does Genly's lunch with the Commensals differ from his meeting with King Argaven?
(a) The food was much better.
(b) The Commensals, unlike King Argaven, were interested in Genly's mission and in the Ekumen, and wanted to look at his pictures.
(c) The accommodations were much more luxurious.
(d) There was no difference. The Commensals weren't any more interested than King Argaven was.
3. What is Genly Ai's mission?
(a) Genly's mission is to encourage Erhenrang to secede from Karhide.
(b) Genly doesn't have a mission; he's just sightseeing.
(c) Genly's mission is to negotiate an alliance between Gethen and the Ekumen of Known Worlds.
(d) Genly's mission is to convince Gethen to leave the Ekumen of Known Worlds.
4. Who is the story in Chapter 9 about?
(a) Stokven, Therem of Stok.
(b) Estraven, the former prime minster of Karhide who has been granted asylum in Mishnory.
(c) King Argaven's ancestors.
(d) Estraven, an ancestor of the Estraven who was once Prime Minister of Karhide.
5. Why must Estraven escape on foot?
(a) He doesn't know how to drive.
(b) He is afraid to fly.
(c) His car was confiscated when the exile decree was issued.
(d) If he uses any conveyance, those aiding him would be liable and would be punished.
6. What is the name of Lord Berosty's kemmering?
(a) Herbor of the Geganner clan.
(c) Geganner of the Herbor clan.
7. What do the Commensals want to do with the information Genly gives to them during lunch?
(a) They want to send an assassin to kill Tibe.
(b) They want to have the Star Ship land in Orgota in order to bring prestige to themselves and the nation.
(c) They want to shoot down the NAFAL ship and kill Genly.
(d) They want to visit Genly's ship.
8. Where does Genly live during the month of Kus?
9. What news comes from Argaven's palace during the month of Kus?
(a) The King is dying.
(b) The Queen is pregnant.
(c) The King is pregnant.
(d) The King has vowed kemmer.
10. By the end of Chapter 10, what is Genly starting to realize?
(a) He's starting to realize that his initial impressions were accurate and that Orgoreyn is much more advanced and civilized than Karhide.
(b) He's starting to realize that his first impressions were wrong and that Karhide is much more advanced and civilized than Orgoreyn.
(c) He's starting to realize that something's not quite right; Orgoreyn isn't as it appears.
(d) He's starting to realize that the secret police, not the King, are running Karhide.
11. What unanswerable question did the Lord of Shorth, according to Goss, force the foretellers to answer?
(a) What happens after death?
(b) When will I die?
(c) Why is the sky blue?
(d) What is the meaning of life?
12. Where does Genly think about going next, and where does he actually decide to go?
(a) The Fastnesses/Orgoreyn.
(b) Orgoreyn/the Fastnesses.
(c) The Pering Ice/the Gobrin Ice.
(d) The Gobrin Ice/the Pering Ice.
13. In Chapter 1, who is Pemmer Harge rem ir Tibe ('Tibe' for short) described as?
(a) The Prime Minister.
(b) The king's cousin.
(c) The mayor of Erhenrang.
(d) There is no one in the book by this name.
14. What is the Sarf?
(a) It is the national church system.
(b) It is a secret police bureau that looks out for false registries, forgeries, and unauthorized travel.
(c) It is the name for the court of the king of Orgoreyn.
(d) It is the nation's trash-removal service. "Sarf" means "trash."
15. What happens to Lord Berosty after his kemmering's death?
(a) Lord Berosty is tried and executed for the kemmering's murder... on the nineteenth day of the month of Thern.
(b) Lord Berosty grieves, but eventually finds another kemmering.
(c) He goes mad and hangs himself on the nineteenth day of the month of Thern.
(d) Lord Berosty relocates permanently to the Thangering Fastness and becomes a monk.
Short Answer Questions
1. Do Gethenians become pregnant as males, or as females?
2. What is the climate on the planet Gethen, year-round?
3. What is the name of the Investigator who documents Gethenians' androgyny?
4. This city is the capital of the nation of Karhide:
5. What is the proclamation made just before Genly is taken in to see the king?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)