|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the monogamous partnership between two Gethenians called?
2. What is Genly's opinion of Estraven's presence in Orgoreyn?
(a) He believes it is a complication.
(b) He believes it is a benefit.
(c) He is planning to betray Estraven to Tibe.
(d) He is glad that Estraven was able to find refuge.
3. Where does Genly live during the month of Kus?
4. Between which two domains is the blood feud in Chapter 9?
(a) The Domain of Shath and the Domain of Stok.
(b) The Domain of Karhide and the Domain of Orgoreyn.
(c) The Domain of Stok and the Domain of Estre.
(d) The Domain of Shath and the Domain of Estre.
5. Where does the second Estraven in Chapter 9 (Estraven II) wind up after his failed hunting trip?
(a) Falling into Icefoot Lake and drowning.
(b) The home of Therem of Stok.
(c) Back home in Estre.
(d) Dying in the wilderness, with his body eaten by wild beasts.
6. What is Genly Ai's mission?
(a) Genly's mission is to negotiate an alliance between Gethen and the Ekumen of Known Worlds.
(b) Genly's mission is to encourage Erhenrang to secede from Karhide.
(c) Genly's mission is to convince Gethen to leave the Ekumen of Known Worlds.
(d) Genly doesn't have a mission; he's just sightseeing.
7. What is the name of Karhide's king?
(a) King Argaven XIV.
(b) King Argaven XV.
(c) King Arthur.
(d) King Aragon.
8. How does Genly's lunch with the Commensals differ from his meeting with King Argaven?
(a) The Commensals, unlike King Argaven, were interested in Genly's mission and in the Ekumen, and wanted to look at his pictures.
(b) The accommodations were much more luxurious.
(c) There was no difference. The Commensals weren't any more interested than King Argaven was.
(d) The food was much better.
9. What do the Investigator's field notes say about being a First Mobile on Winter?
(a) No First Mobile has ever returned from Winter alive.
(b) First Mobiles must have low self-esteem, because anything else is seen as arrogance.
(c) First Mobiles must be self-assured, because their pride will be tested.
(d) First Mobiles are accepted as natives.
10. What answer (in part) does the king receive?
(a) I do not know what makes a man loyal.
(b) I want Gethen to join the Ekumen to promote universal peace and harmony.
(c) I sent Genly to you to ask your nation to join the Ekumen.
(d) I do not know what makes a man a traitor.
11. Who is waiting for Estraven at the city gate when he arrives in Kuseben?
(a) His two sons.
(b) Ashe, his former kemmering.
(d) Genly Ai.
12. What is the origin of the story told in Chapter 4?
(b) West Karhide.
(d) East Karhide.
13. What does Lord Berosty do after receiving his Foretelling?
(a) He kills his kemmering.
(b) He commits suicide immediately.
(c) He decides to live life to the fullest and starts living like a daredevil.
(d) He returns to one of his family domains and locks himself in the Hearth-Tower for ten months.
14. What is the name of Lord Berosty's kemmering?
(b) Geganner of the Herbor clan.
(c) Herbor of the Geganner clan.
15. How does Genly Ai spend the summer?
(a) Genly spends the summer traveling, observing, and listening.
(b) Genly spends the summer in Karhide, hiding from Tibe.
(c) Genly spends the summer in Mishnory, working in the ice-house with Estraven.
(d) Genly spends the summer in Passerer, trying o avert war with Siuwensin.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Stokven realizes he was lied to, what does he do?
2. What significance does the Sarf have for Genly?
3. Where does Genly think about going next, and where does he actually decide to go?
4. What is the name of the Investigator who documents Gethenians' androgyny?
5. Who wants to bring the ship to Orgota?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)