|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After he loses his registration due to a change in the Alien Registry Law, what happens to Estraven?
(a) He continues to live in his new home as an illegal alien.
(b) He is made one of Commensal Yegey's secretaries and regains his registration.
(c) He regains his registration and goes back to his previous job.
(d) He loses his refugee status and is taken back to Gethen to meet his fate.
2. When Genly finally gets to Mishnory, whom does he find there?
(b) Prime Minister Tibe.
(c) King Argaven.
3. What is the name of Lord Berosty's kemmering?
(c) Geganner of the Herbor clan.
(d) Herbor of the Geganner clan.
4. What does Odren tell Lord Berosty's kemmering?
(a) He tells the kemmering that he will outlive Lord Berosty.
(b) He tells the kemmering that he and Lord Berosty will die at the same time.
(c) He tells the kemmering that he made a mistake and that Lord Berosty won't be dying any time soon.
(d) Odren tells the kemmering that Lord Berosty will live longer than the kemmering does.
5. What is the period of time during which a Gethenian is sexually active called?
6. What is the primary conflict in Chapter 2 that sets its events in motion?
(a) Two hearths go to war against each other.
(b) Two brothers are commanded to break their kemmering vow.
(c) Two brothers are commanded to vow kemmering.
(d) Two brothers are exiled.
7. What do the Investigator's field notes say about being a First Mobile on Winter?
(a) First Mobiles are accepted as natives.
(b) No First Mobile has ever returned from Winter alive.
(c) First Mobiles must have low self-esteem, because anything else is seen as arrogance.
(d) First Mobiles must be self-assured, because their pride will be tested.
8. Why does Chapter 5 say that Genly has come to Rer?
(a) He wants to live on a commune.
(b) He is discouraged after his failed meeting with the King and needs a break.
(c) He wishes to visit a nearby fastness and learn about what Foretellers do.
(d) He is looking for a job.
9. When Getheren leaves Orhoch, what name does he travel under?
(b) Genly Ai.
10. After leaving Kuseben, where does Estraven first land?
(a) The Gulf of Charisune.
(c) The Orgny Fastness.
(d) Shelt Port, Orgoreyn.
11. Do Gethenians become pregnant as males, or as females?
(a) Gethenians don't experience pregnancy.
(b) Either gender can become pregnant.
12. Why does Genly return to Erhenrang in Chapter 8 after spending his summer on the Eastern Coast?
(a) He doesn't want to spend the winter in Old Karhide.
(b) He wants to be present for the birth of the King's child.
(c) He wants to plead Estraven's case.
(d) He wants to warn the King about Tibe.
13. What religion are the Foretellers?
14. What is the significance of the title of Chapter 4, "The Nineteenth Day?"
(a) The nineteenth day, in any month, is Lord Berosty's forecasted wedding date.
(b) The Nineteenth Day is the day, in any month, on which Lord Berosty is predicted to die
(c) The Nineteenth Day is the day, in any month, on which Lord Berosty's kemmering will die.
(d) Nineteen is the number of children Lord Berosty is forecasted to have.
15. What is the Gethenians' mating cycle known as?
(c) Mating cycle.
(d) Being in heat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Commensals want to do with the information Genly gives to them during lunch?
2. What is the Foretellers' answer to the question that Genly asks them?
3. Shortly after his arrival in Orgoreyn, Genly is invited to lunch with Commensals Obsle and Yegey. What information does Genly divulge to his hosts during this luncheon?
4. Why must Estraven escape on foot?
5. Who is the story in Chapter 9 about?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)