|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells Getheren that he is in danger of suicide?
(a) Genly Ai.
(c) The Lord of Shath.
(d) Hode, his brother and kemmering.
2. Where does the story in Chapter 2 take place?
(c) The Hearth of Orhoch.
(d) The Hearth of Shath.
3. What happens to Estraven when he tries to leave Kuseben by boat?
(a) He is shot by a sonic gun, and is captured by Tibe's forces.
(b) He is shot by a sonic gun, then rescued by a harbor patrol ship.
(c) The boat sinks and he drowns.
(d) Nothing happens; he successfully escapes and lands at Shelt Port in Orgoreyn.
4. By the end of Chapter 10, what is Genly starting to realize?
(a) He's starting to realize that something's not quite right; Orgoreyn isn't as it appears.
(b) He's starting to realize that the secret police, not the King, are running Karhide.
(c) He's starting to realize that his first impressions were wrong and that Karhide is much more advanced and civilized than Orgoreyn.
(d) He's starting to realize that his initial impressions were accurate and that Orgoreyn is much more advanced and civilized than Karhide.
5. Where does Genly think about going next, and where does he actually decide to go?
(a) The Gobrin Ice/the Pering Ice.
(b) The Pering Ice/the Gobrin Ice.
(c) Orgoreyn/the Fastnesses.
(d) The Fastnesses/Orgoreyn.
6. What does Lord Berosty's kemmering offer in return for being told how long Lord Berosty will live?
(a) He offers his life's savings.
(b) He offers his first-born child.
(c) He offers his life.
(d) He offers three cows and a chicken.
7. What is the Foretellers' answer to the question that Genly asks them?
(b) The question is unanswerable.
8. Are there any long-term effects of Getheren's long exposure to the cold?
(a) No. He is dressed warmly enough to protect himself.
(b) Yes. He loses his left hand to frostbite.
(c) No. Those inhabiting Karhide are not susceptible to the cold.
(d) Yes. He loses his right foot to frostbite.
9. Shortly after his arrival in Orgoreyn, Genly is invited to lunch with Commensals Obsle and Yegey. What information does Genly divulge to his hosts during this luncheon?
(a) He tells them about his ship, and also that a Star Ship is currently orbiting the planet.
(b) He tells them that his ship is in Orgoreyn and invites them for a visit.
(c) He tells them that Tibe is trying to start a war with Orgoreyn.
(d) He tells them about his ship, and also that a NAFAL ship is orbiting the planet.
10. Who finds Getheren on the ninth day after he leaves his homeland?
(a) The posse sent by the Lord of Hearth.
(c) No one; he dies of exposure as a result.
(d) The people of Orhoch Hearth.
11. What does Lord Berosty do after receiving his Foretelling?
(a) He returns to one of his family domains and locks himself in the Hearth-Tower for ten months.
(b) He commits suicide immediately.
(c) He decides to live life to the fullest and starts living like a daredevil.
(d) He kills his kemmering.
12. What religion are the Foretellers?
13. When baby Therem (also called Estraven) grows up, what happens to him?
(a) He vows kemmering to Therem of Stok.
(b) His kemmering sons attack and kill him after he is named heir of Estre.
(c) His kemmering sons attack and wound him after he is named heir of Estre.
(d) He gives birth to a child who will eventually become King Argaven I.
14. What does Genly ask the Foretellers?
(a) Will Gethen be a member of the Ekumen of the Known Worlds within seven years?
(b) Will Karhide be a member of the Ekumen of the Known Worlds within seven years?
(c) Will Gethen become a member of the Ekumen of the Known Worlds within five years?
(d) Will Karhide be a member of the Ekumen of the Known Worlds within five years?
15. Where does the second Estraven in Chapter 9 (Estraven II) wind up after his failed hunting trip?
(a) Back home in Estre.
(b) The home of Therem of Stok.
(c) Falling into Icefoot Lake and drowning.
(d) Dying in the wilderness, with his body eaten by wild beasts.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Ekumen send only one representative to Karhide?
2. Shortly after Genly sends his letter to Tibe, Ashe visits him. What is the purpose of Ashe's visit?
3. The planet on which Genly Ai is stationed is called 'Gethen' by its inhabitants. What do humans know this planet as?
4. Could the Foretellers answer the Lord of Shorth's question? What happened?
5. If a Gethenian becomes pregnant, how long is the gestation period (i.e., the amount of time it takes before the baby is born)?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)