Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of the relationship between Estraven and Tibe, and why?
2. What is the significance of the completion of the Arch of River Gate?
3. What is the date of the parade?
4. What does Estraven do to make Genly angry with him? What is the significance, to Genly, of Estraven's behavior?
5. The Pering Ice and Gobrin Ice are mentioned in Chapter 2. What significance does this have?
6. Why is the Shath Domain, Getheren's homeland, experiencing poverty and widespread illness near the end of Chapter 2?
7. When Getheren 'took back his name and shadow,' what effect did it have on Shath and why?
8. What is kemmering?
9. Why does the First Ekumen send only one representative (Genly) to King Argaven to conduct negotiations with him on its behalf?
10. What does Chapter 3 reveal to us about Genly's nature?
11. What is the nature of the relationship between Karhide and Orgoreyn?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)