|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, The Question of Sex.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What unanswerable question did the Lord of Shorth, according to Goss, force the foretellers to answer?
(a) What is the meaning of life?
(b) What happens after death?
(c) When will I die?
(d) Why is the sky blue?
2. What is the period of time during which a Gethenian is sexually active called?
3. Where does Genly think about going next, and where does he actually decide to go?
(a) The Fastnesses/Orgoreyn.
(b) Orgoreyn/the Fastnesses.
(c) The Pering Ice/the Gobrin Ice.
(d) The Gobrin Ice/the Pering Ice.
4. What does Odren tell Lord Berosty's kemmering?
(a) He tells the kemmering that he will outlive Lord Berosty.
(b) Odren tells the kemmering that Lord Berosty will live longer than the kemmering does.
(c) He tells the kemmering that he and Lord Berosty will die at the same time.
(d) He tells the kemmering that he made a mistake and that Lord Berosty won't be dying any time soon.
5. What answer (in part) does the king receive?
(a) I do not know what makes a man a traitor.
(b) I want Gethen to join the Ekumen to promote universal peace and harmony.
(c) I sent Genly to you to ask your nation to join the Ekumen.
(d) I do not know what makes a man loyal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What, in the report documented in Chapter 7, does the Investigator say is an "appalling experience?"
2. It's been pointed out many times in "The Left Hand of Darkness," thus far, that the Gethenians are androgynous. What does "androgynous" mean?
3. Who is waiting for Estraven at the city gate when he arrives in Kuseben?
4. Who is the Prime Minister in Chapter 1?
5. Do Gethenians become pregnant as males, or as females?
This section contains 348 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)