|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, The Mad King.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Genly Ai's mission?
(a) Genly's mission is to encourage Erhenrang to secede from Karhide.
(b) Genly's mission is to negotiate an alliance between Gethen and the Ekumen of Known Worlds.
(c) Genly's mission is to convince Gethen to leave the Ekumen of Known Worlds.
(d) Genly doesn't have a mission; he's just sightseeing.
2. Are there any long-term effects of Getheren's long exposure to the cold?
(a) No. Those inhabiting Karhide are not susceptible to the cold.
(b) Yes. He loses his left hand to frostbite.
(c) Yes. He loses his right foot to frostbite.
(d) No. He is dressed warmly enough to protect himself.
3. Where does Genly think about going next, and where does he actually decide to go?
(a) The Fastnesses/Orgoreyn.
(b) Orgoreyn/the Fastnesses.
(c) The Pering Ice/the Gobrin Ice.
(d) The Gobrin Ice/the Pering Ice.
4. When does the story in Chapter 2 take place?
(a) 200 years ago.
(c) 10 years in the future.
(d) 50 years ago.
5. Before leaving his homeland, what does Getheren do?
(a) He bundles up as warmly as he can to protect himself from the cold.
(b) He vows kemmering to his brother, which earns him a death sentence.
(c) He lays a curse upon the Hearth that plunges it into poverty.
(d) He steals the Hearth's wealth, thereby plunging it into poverty.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the story in Chapter 2 take place?
2. Why does the Ekumen send only one representative to Karhide?
3. What is the primary conflict in Chapter 2 that sets its events in motion?
4. What are the economic conditions of Getheren's homeland, before and after he takes back his name and shadow?
5. What is the purpose of Genly's meeting with the king?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)