|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17, An Orgota Creation Myth.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When a Gethenian becomes sexually active and finds a partner, what happens?
(a) Hormones kick in, and both male and female genitalia develop.
(b) Hormones kick in, and either male or female genitalia develop.
(c) Hormones kick in, and male genitalia develop.
(d) Hormones kick in, and female genitalia develop.
2. Where does the story in Chapter 2 take place?
(b) The Hearth of Orhoch.
(d) The Hearth of Shath.
3. How does Genly Ai spend the summer?
(a) Genly spends the summer in Karhide, hiding from Tibe.
(b) Genly spends the summer in Mishnory, working in the ice-house with Estraven.
(c) Genly spends the summer traveling, observing, and listening.
(d) Genly spends the summer in Passerer, trying o avert war with Siuwensin.
4. Why does Berosty kill his kemmering after his return from Thangering Fastness and Weaver Odren?
(a) The kemmering didn't ask *how long* Lord Berosty would live, but instead *when* Lord Berosty would die.
(b) Berosty didn't want his kemmering to approach Weaver Odren, and the kemmering had disobeyed his orders.
(c) He didn't ask *when* Lord Berosty would die, but *how long* Lord Berosty would live.
(d) Berosty discovered his partner had broken kemmering.
5. What answer (in part) does the king receive?
(a) I want Gethen to join the Ekumen to promote universal peace and harmony.
(b) I do not know what makes a man loyal.
(c) I sent Genly to you to ask your nation to join the Ekumen.
(d) I do not know what makes a man a traitor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Is Lord Berosty satisfied with the answer he receives? Why?
2. What is the Gethenians' mating cycle known as?
3. What happens to Getheren on the third morning after his departure from his homeland?
4. Who agrees to take a message on Estraven's behalf to King Argaven regarding what has happened to Genly Ai?
5. When baby Therem (also called Estraven) grows up, what happens to him?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)