|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12, On Time and Darkness.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Between which two domains is the blood feud in Chapter 9?
(a) The Domain of Shath and the Domain of Estre.
(b) The Domain of Stok and the Domain of Estre.
(c) The Domain of Shath and the Domain of Stok.
(d) The Domain of Karhide and the Domain of Orgoreyn.
2. What name does Estraven give the man who rescues him?
(a) Therem of Estre.
(c) Therem of Stok.
(d) Arek of Estre.
3. What is the period of time during which a Gethenian is sexually active called?
4. How far is Rer from Karhide?
(a) 1,100 miles.
(b) 110 miles.
(c) 11 miles.
(d) 11,000 miles.
5. Why does Chapter 5 say that Genly has come to Rer?
(a) He wishes to visit a nearby fastness and learn about what Foretellers do.
(b) He is discouraged after his failed meeting with the King and needs a break.
(c) He is looking for a job.
(d) He wants to live on a commune.
Short Answer Questions
1. If a Gethenian becomes pregnant, how long is the gestation period (i.e., the amount of time it takes before the baby is born)?
2. What does Genly ask the Foretellers?
3. Could the Foretellers answer the Lord of Shorth's question? What happened?
4. It's been pointed out many times in "The Left Hand of Darkness," thus far, that the Gethenians are androgynous. What does "androgynous" mean?
5. How long does a journey from Gethen to the Prime World, Hain, take?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)