Chapter 1, A Parade in Erhenrang
• A parade is held in Erhenrang to celebrate the completion of the Arch of River Gate.
• The central characters of "The Left Hand of Darkness," Genly Ai, Estraven, King Argaven, and Tibe are introduced.
• Genly is identified as a First Mobile who is in Erhenrang to convince King Argaven to ally his country with the Ekumen of Known Worlds.
• Estraven and Genly have dinner, during which Estraven tells Genly he is not able to support his mission any longer.
• Readers learn that Gethenians are androgynous.
Chapter 2, The Place Inside the Blizzard
• This chapter is a legend that is set in the Hearth of Shath.
• In it, two brothers pledge kemmering, which is not permitted because it is incestuous.
• The Lord of Shath commands the brothers to break their vow. One commits suicide; the other, Getheren, is driven from the domain. He curses it...
This section contains 2,835 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)