|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are members of the Tutsi tribe often denied in the public sphere?
2. How much is the stipend the girls in the University received equal to in US dollars?
3. How many other girls does the Protestant student date while with Immaculee?
4. Which Psalm does Immaculee read immediately after Sony is turned away from the Pastor's house?
5. Which two colonial countries settled in Rwanda and created political tension and turmoil?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the setting in which Immaculee is raised in the early years of her life.
2. What characterizes Immaculee's life at the University?
3. Who makes up the populace of the Rwandese Patriotic Front, or RPF?
4. What is the plan that Clementine devises in case the Tutsi were to be severely persecuted at the Lycee High School?
5. Why is Damascene downcast during Immaculee's return home at Easter?
6. How does Immaculee finally make the transition from the private high school to the public high school?
7. What does Immaculee's father do to ensure she receives a high school education, and why is it significant?
8. What dominates the feelings of the University students regarding the Interahamwe and their activities in Butare?
9. What is the opinion of Sembeba, the pastor's son, concerning the Tutsi?
10. What realization does Immaculee have which finally enables her to forgive the killers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
An extremely important figure in Immaculee's life, her brother Damascene shows an exceptional moral character in his final moments. Examine this moral character in an analytical essay. What are Damascene's strengths? What are his weaknesses? What is significant about both the content and the appearance of his final letter to Immaculee? How does he confront his killers? What words does he speak in his final moments? What is demonstrated through these words? What does this indicate about Damascene's faith? Overall, what characterizes Damascene?
Essay Topic 2
The Rwandan Holocaust could never have happened had it not been for the state-operated propaganda campaigns. Analyze these propaganda campaigns as they are portrayed throughout Left to Tell. What sort of propaganda is put forth immediately before the genocide? Through what mediums does this campaign achieve its goal? What techniques are employed by such propaganda? What is the broader propaganda campaign that makes the genocide possible, and how is it put into place? What could the Tutsi people do against such propaganda? What are the ultimate effects of the propaganda campaigns?
Essay Topic 3
The group upon whose doorstop most of the blame for the actual killings during the genocide has been laid is the Interahamwe. Analyze the culpability of the group, as well as its essence, in a carefully written analytical essay. Who are the Interahamwe? What sort of people comprise the Interahamwe? What characterizes these people? In what sort of actions and pleasures do they indulge? What is their relationship to reasonable proceedings? What does this indicate about the essence of the Interahamwe? In what way does this mitigate their culpability? How is this yet far from absolving the members of the Interahamwe?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)