|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are members of the Tutsi tribe often denied in the public sphere?
(a) Scholarships to schools.
(b) Freedom of speech.
(c) The right to military service.
(d) The right to own automobiles.
2. What is the name of Immaculee's father?
3. What is the first plate of food that the women receive after two days in hiding?
(a) Potatoes and beans.
(b) Beets and cabbage.
(c) Corn and cold beef.
(d) Bread and honey.
4. What plan does Immaculee's friend devise to avoid torture and rape by the Hutu?
(c) Escape to the north.
(d) Faked death.
5. What does Immaculee's name mean?
(a) "Sweet in thought and swift in action."
(b) "Shining in body and beautiful in soul."
(c) "Gifted in mind and loving in spirit."
(d) "Pure in heart and pure in body."
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the only member of Immaculee's family that does not greet her upon her arrival home?
2. Which of the women in the bathroom is the eldest?
3. For whom does Immaculee attempt and fail to pray immediately after thanking God for that which saved them from the killers' second search?
4. How many siblings does Immaculee have?
5. Of what year's killings does Immaculee have only one memory?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Immaculee's parents set a good communal example for her and her brothers?
2. What characterizes Immaculee's life at the University?
3. What exchange do Leonard and Immaculee make, and why is it significant?
4. How do the six women manage to fit into the tiny bathroom?
5. What struggle does Immaculee encounter when the pastor tells her that Augustine and Vianney could not stay at his house?
6. What dominates the feelings of the University students regarding the Interahamwe and their activities in Butare?
7. What does the pastor tell the women he would do for them in "Farewell to the Boys"?
8. What characterizes the women's stay in the bathroom, as related in "Confronting My Anger"?
9. Why is Immaculee's father arrested and how is he treated?
10. Under what condition does Immaculee's father allow her to date John, and why?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)