|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first sentence that Immaculee learns to say in English?
(a) "I want a job."
(b) "I am Immaculee."
(c) "I am Tutsi."
(d) "I am looking for my family."
2. What is the name of the mixed good and evil Hutu with whom the two male Tutsi survivors in the French field encampment hide during the genocide?
(a) Jean Paul.
(c) Jean Baptiste.
3. What is the name of Aloise's husband?
4. What does the captain of the French troops offer to Immaculee shortly after discovering she can speak French fluently?
(a) To search for every Tutsi in the region.
(b) To march on Kigali with all the Tutsi.
(c) To aid the RPF in overthrowing the government.
(d) To kill any Hutu she wants dead.
5. To what town are most of the refugees in the French base camp moved in August 1994?
(c) Colline Kirengo.
6. Where does Immaculee volunteer in Kigali while she is working there at the UN?
(a) An elementary school.
(b) An orphanage.
(c) A hospital.
(d) A homeless shelter.
7. What is the name of the woman who had been hiding Malaba before she arrives at the pastor's house?
8. To where is Damascene headed when he is killed?
9. What is the date of Damascene's last letter to his family?
(a) May 6, 1994.
(b) May 18, 1994.
(c) June 1, 1994.
(d) April 30, 1994.
10. What is the name of the housekeeper who gives Immaculee a detailed description of the death of her brother Damascene?
11. What is the name of the friend who lives near the lake with whom Damascene spends his last night?
12. What does Immaculee track within Rwanda in her first job at the UN?
(b) Tutsi refugees.
(c) UN Peacekeeping troops.
(d) Hutu refugees.
13. How many guards protect the borders of the French camp?
14. Why does the French captain deposit the Tutsi refugees on the road barely halfway to the RPF camp when he hears reports of gunfire in the area?
(a) He is given orders to avoid fighting at all costs.
(b) He is afraid of conflict with the Hutu.
(c) He is afraid of conflict with the RPF.
(d) His truck breaks down.
15. What does Pierre, the French soldier, tell Immaculee?
(a) That he loves her.
(b) That he thinks of the Hutu as animals.
(c) That the French will soon leave.
(d) That his friend Paul has a crush on her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Immaculee say littered the streets in Kigali?
2. For how long have the women been in the bathroom at the beginning of "The Gift of Tongues"?
3. Which foreign troops are the first to arrive in Rwanda?
4. How many Interahamwe confront the 30 Tutsi refugees after they are deposited by the French truck?
5. What happens to Immaculee when she sees brother's mutilated body?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)