|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the caller tell Peach about Beck?
2. Why was Beck almost suffocated in his tent?
3. What gave Beck motivation?
4. What was Beck descending?
5. What happened as the sun began to set?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Peach say about Beck's and her relationship in Chapter 8?
2. How does Beck contrast current weather conditions with the conditions when he started up the summit eighteen hours earlier?
3. Why did the search party leave Beck and Yasuko where they found them?
4. What is the purpose of the climbers' stay at Base Camp?
5. What does Beck say about hiking the Khumbu trail on his way to base camp?
6. How did Beck's longtime recovery proceed?
7. Whom did Peach and her friends contact to get Beck off the mountain?
8. What happened after Mike Groom arrived?
9. Why did Dan fly to be with Beck while Beck was in a hotel recovering?
10. What was Peach told about Beck in a phone call, and what happened just as she was relaying the news to the children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many readers of memoir place themselves in the position of the author, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as Left for Dead help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading Left for Dead? Why or why not.
3. Choose one specific incident in Left for Dead to discuss and compare Beck's response to how you think you would respond.
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an important part of what makes the story interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Beck. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Peach. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the story? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in Left for Dead. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of depression. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? How do you think Beck could have handled his depression differently?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of forgiveness. Why do you think Peach was willing to forgive Beck even if she did not yet trust him? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,114 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)