|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Beck ask one man who was on the Aconcagua climb with Beck?
(a) If the man ever felt depressed while climbing.
(b) If the man had ever climbed.
(c) What it was like to climb Everest.
(d) Why Mount Everest is so difficult.
2. What is one thing Beck liked about Peach?
(a) Her need to have him around.
(b) Her adventurous nature.
(c) How sensitive she was to others.
(d) Her determination to suceed even though she did not excel academically.
3. Who attended the meal with Beck and other climbers on the summit of Mount Elbrus?
(a) Some Russian soldiers.
(b) No one.
(c) Some Polish factory workers.
4. Of what did Beck become President in 1982?
(a) The Auxillery Police Association.
(b) The National Forensics Association.
(c) The medical staff at Medical City.
(d) The Lions Club.
5. What was Beck proud to overcome?
(a) Fear of making a bad decision.
(b) Fear of being alone in the wilderness.
(c) Fear of defeat.
(d) Fear of climbing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Mount Aconcagua?
2. What did both of Peach's grandmothers have in common?
3. What did Beck feel that he would some day do?
4. Where did Beck's father get transferred to in 1958?
5. What did Meg ask her father never to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ken want Beck to decide while descending Mount McKinley? What is Beck's response?
2. What does Peach say about Beck's "obsessions"?
3. Where did Beck attend medical school, and what specialty did he enjoy?
4. How did Beck choose the mountains to climb?
5. What is the "black dog," and how did it affect Beck?
6. What did Meg ask of her father? How did she feel about him?
7. What did Kit relate about the Weathers' family life?
8. What did Beck begin to do after his term as president of Medical City ended? How did he cope with the problem?
9. Why does Beck blame Peace for his unhappiness and what is her response?
10. Who served as a surrogate father to Peach, and what was Beck's relationship with the man?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)