|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Peach tell Beck when he talked to her?
(a) Beck's brother is enroute to meet Beck.
(b) Nothing; they were unable to talk.
(c) She hoped this cured him of his obsession with climbing.
(d) His father has had a heart attack.
2. Beck lost the use of ____________.
(a) His left eye.
(b) His sense of smell.
(c) His left ear.
(d) His hands.
3. With what does Beck compare facing death?
(a) He says there is no comparison.
(b) The horror house at Halloween.
(d) A nightmare.
4. What does Dan learn about as much as possible?
(a) The other climbers' fates.
(b) The situation that led to Beck's almost dying.
(c) Beck's medical condition.
(d) How Beck and Peach felt towards each other.
5. Upon what did Meg reflect when she thought her father was dead?
(a) She had told her father not to go.
(b) What life would be like without her dad.
(c) She did not believe he was dead.
(d) She was sad but at least the fighting between her parents was over.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did Peach give Beck to demonstrate that he had changed?
2. Who went to find Beck and Yasuko after the storm abated?
3. Who came down the mountain after the man who offered Beck assistance?
4. Why is Peach frustrated?
5. What does Linda Gravelle do for Peach?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Beck learn about his rescue as he reaches Kathmandu?
2. Why did the search party leave Beck and Yasuko where they found them?
3. What route did Beck's group take, and what was the first tragedy on the climb?
4. What was Peach told about Beck in a phone call, and what happened just as she was relaying the news to the children?
5. What happened after Mike Groom arrived?
6. Describe the storm that pummels Beck's tent as he lay helpless inside.
7. How does Beck contrast current weather conditions with the conditions when he started up the summit eighteen hours earlier?
8. What does the rest of Chapter 7 describe after Beck arrives at Camp II?
9. What did Beck say about a climber's drive?
10. How did Beck's longtime recovery proceed?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)