|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what was Aconcagua rife?
(a) Filth and disease.
(b) Feral cats.
(d) Wild dogs.
2. Where did Beck's family move in 1954?
(a) San Bernadino.
(b) San Antonio.
(d) Washington, D. C.
3. What did Beck do to his body as he was making it stronger?
(b) Trimmed down all the fat..
(c) Pushed it but not too far.
(d) Destroyed it.
4. Who is Howard?
(a) Beck's brother.
(b) Peach's cousin.
(c) Beck's cousin.
(d) Peach's older brother.
5. What was Peace thinking about while Beck was out climbing?
(a) Her career.
(b) Her children missing their dad.
(c) Nothing in particular.
6. What did Beck's father do?
(a) An architect.
(b) A physician.
(c) An aviator.
(d) A writer.
7. On what did Peach count on when she was thinking about divorce?
(a) Beck's generosity.
(b) Her parents' support.
(c) Her friends' support.
(d) Her children's support.
8. What did Beck find on his second major climb?
(a) He did not have any problem with altitude sickness.
(b) He did not really enjoy climbing.
(c) Corpses of other climbers.
(d) He was stronger than his climbing buddies.
9. What did some of Beck's friends realize about Beck's climbing hobby?
(a) It was a substitute for an interesting job.
(b) It was a subsitute for living with his family.
(c) It might be getting dangerous.
10. Where did Beck spend his early years?
11. Why did Beck run out of food on his second major climb?
(a) They dropped a pack down a crevasse.
(b) They did not plan on needing so much food.
(c) He was stuck at base camp due to a storm.
(d) Several of their meals got soaked and spoiled.
12. What did Beck enjoy doing after they moved to Dallas when he was not working?
(c) Meeting his buddies at the bars.
(d) Building model planes.
13. What time does the narration flash back to in Chapter 11?
(a) Beck talking to his wife before leaving for Nepal.
(b) When Beck is climbing Mount Fuji.
(c) Beck's childhood.
(d) When Beck is climbing in Iceland.
14. Why did Beck avoid sports in high school?
(a) He had to work after school.
(b) He was not very coordinated.
(c) His eyes.
(d) His size.
15. How did Peach's father die?
(a) He died of old age.
(b) He was lost on an expedition to the Arctic Circle.
(c) Radiation poisoning.
(d) His plane was shot down over Germany.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Beck learn survival skills?
2. With whom did Beck learn about mountaineering?
3. How did Beck's brother Dan energize himself?
4. What was Beck proud to overcome?
5. What seemed to be the only way Beck could be happy?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)