|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who attended the meal with Beck and other climbers on the summit of Mount Elbrus?
(b) No one.
(c) Some Russian soldiers.
(d) Some Polish factory workers.
2. How did Beck choose the mountains he climbed?
(a) The height.
(b) The remoteness.
(c) Whether it was dangerous.
(d) By their guide's reputation.
3. What subject did Beck's mother teach?
(b) Physical education.
4. In what year did Beck and Peach meet?
5. What did Beck look forward to seeing on his climb of Mount Elbrus?
(a) The view where he could see eight different countries.
(b) The American flag planted thirty years earlier.
(c) The bust of Lenin.
(d) A plant that only grew on this mountain.
6. Why did the second in command take over on the Aconcagua climb?
(a) The first in command got ill.
(b) The first in command demonstrated incompetence.
(c) The second in command knew the mountain better.
(d) The first in command died.
7. What did Beck ask one man who was on the Aconcagua climb with Beck?
(a) Why Mount Everest is so difficult.
(b) If the man ever felt depressed while climbing.
(c) What it was like to climb Everest.
(d) If the man had ever climbed.
8. What did Beck's climbing companion want Beck to decide on their way down the mountain?
(a) If Beck could handle the Himalayas.
(b) If Beck was divorcing Peach.
(c) If they were going to keep climbing.
(d) If Beck could handle the Alps.
9. What did Beck do to his body as he was making it stronger?
(b) Pushed it but not too far.
(c) Destroyed it.
(d) Trimmed down all the fat..
10. What did Peach feel about her nickname later in her marriage?
(a) It was a part of losing her own identity.
(b) It made her feel as though no one took her seriously.
(c) It kept her feeling connected to her home roots.
(d) It made Beck happy.
11. With whom did Beck feel competitive when he started dating Peach?
(c) Peach's mother and grandmother.
(d) No one.
12. Why did Beck run out of food on his second major climb?
(a) They dropped a pack down a crevasse.
(b) He was stuck at base camp due to a storm.
(c) They did not plan on needing so much food.
(d) Several of their meals got soaked and spoiled.
13. What time does the narration flash back to in Chapter 11?
(a) Beck's childhood.
(b) Beck talking to his wife before leaving for Nepal.
(c) When Beck is climbing Mount Fuji.
(d) When Beck is climbing in Iceland.
14. Where did Beck's family move in 1954?
(a) San Bernadino.
(b) San Antonio.
(d) Washington, D. C.
15. What did Meg ask her father never to do?
(a) Kill himself.
(b) Climb Mt. Everest.
(c) Leave Peach.
(d) Climb in South America.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Beck try different challenges in the early years of his marriage?
2. Whom did Peach and the children enjoy having on their vacations?
3. What did Beck's father use to combat negative feelings?
4. Why did Beck have trouble seeing as he descended the mountain on his second climb?
5. What did Dan say about Beck as far as being competitive?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)