|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the second in command take over on the Aconcagua climb?
(a) The second in command knew the mountain better.
(b) The first in command died.
(c) The first in command got ill.
(d) The first in command demonstrated incompetence.
2. What did Peach major in during college?
(b) Physical education.
(c) Political science.
3. Where did Beck's father get transferred to in 1958?
(b) Saudi Arabia.
4. How did Peach's father die?
(a) His plane was shot down over Germany.
(b) He died of old age.
(c) Radiation poisoning.
(d) He was lost on an expedition to the Arctic Circle.
5. When did Beck propose to Peach?
(a) He never officially proposed.
(b) When Peach told him she was dating another man.
(c) The night of his graduation.
(d) When Peach told him she was accepting a job in New Mexico.
6. Who attended the meal with Beck and other climbers on the summit of Mount Elbrus?
(a) Some Polish factory workers.
(b) Some Russian soldiers.
(c) No one.
7. How did Beck choose the mountains he climbed?
(a) The remoteness.
(b) Whether it was dangerous.
(c) The height.
(d) By their guide's reputation.
8. Whom did Peach and the children enjoy having on their vacations?
(a) Peach's mother.
(c) No one.
9. What did Beck decide to major in at college?
10. With what was Aconcagua rife?
(a) Filth and disease.
(b) Feral cats.
(c) Wild dogs.
11. What did some of Beck's friends realize about Beck's climbing hobby?
(a) It was a substitute for an interesting job.
(b) It was a subsitute for living with his family.
(d) It might be getting dangerous.
12. What did Beck ask one man who was on the Aconcagua climb with Beck?
(a) If the man ever felt depressed while climbing.
(b) If the man had ever climbed.
(c) What it was like to climb Everest.
(d) Why Mount Everest is so difficult.
13. What did Dan say about Beck as far as being competitive?
(a) He hated competition but excelled at it.
(b) He hated doing things that were competitive.
(c) He was highly competitive.
(d) He never did anything that competed against someone else.
14. What does Beck do when he slips back into a depression after his presidency ended?
(a) He began to play tennis again.
(b) He began to hike.
(c) He began to rely upon Peach more.
(d) He began to take drugs for the depression.
15. What did Beck learn on Longs Peak?
(a) How to quit gracefully.
(b) How to conserve one's energy.
(c) How to climb rocks.
(d) The meaning of perseverance.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom did Beck learn about mountaineering?
2. What time does the narration flash back to in Chapter 11?
3. What did Beck nickname his depression?
4. What did Meg ask her father never to do?
5. What subject did Beck's mother teach?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)