|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the caller tell Peach about Beck?
(a) He was off the mountain but under arrest for not getting the proper permits.
(b) He would be delayed getting off the mountain for a few days.
(c) He died on Everest.
(d) He was in the hospital at Katmandu.
2. About what did Beck write while in base camp?
(a) His goals and aspirations for his life.
(b) A novel he was writing about climbers.
(c) The history of the climbing of Mount Everest.
(d) His family.
3. How did Beck feel about his role as a father?
(a) He was better than most of his friends.
(b) He was about the same as his own father had been.
(c) He did not do a very good job.
(d) He had been a very good father.
4. What was unusual about the conversation with Beck on Monday from Peach's point of view?
(a) Nothing was unusual.
(b) Beck asked about her feelings.
(c) Beck wanted to talk with his family.
(d) Beck seemed so well.
5. How long did Peach give Beck to demonstrate that he had changed?
(a) Five years.
(b) Six months.
(c) No time.
(d) A year.
6. In what condition was Beck?
(a) He is alive and talking.
(b) Hyperthermic coma.
(c) He has three inches of ice covering his entire body.
7. Who is with Beck Weathers?
(a) No one.
(b) His best friend.
(c) Dozens of climbers.
(d) His wife and a Sherpa guide.
8. What did Beck feel at base camp?
9. From where did the call come that told Peach that Beck had been successfully airlifted off the mountain?
(b) New Zealand.
10. Who helped Beck fight sleep?
11. Who initiates a helicopter rescue at Base Camp Two for Beck?
(a) Yasuko's family.
(b) Beck's parents.
(c) Beck's brother.
12. Why was Beck almost suffocated in his tent?
(a) He vomited and almost suffocated in it.
(b) The storm blew the walls over his face.
(c) He does not almost suffocate.
(d) The storm set up a wind vacuum.
13. Who came down the mountain after the man who offered Beck assistance?
(a) No one.
(c) Mike Groom and Yasuko.
14. Who fell to his death in Beck's party?
(a) A Taiwanese climber.
(b) A Japanese climber.
(c) An English climber.
(d) A Sherpa.
15. Who went to find Beck and Yasuko after the storm abated?
(a) No one as the two were reported as dead.
(b) Jon Krakauer.
(c) Rob Hall.
(d) Three Sherpas and Stuart Hutchinson.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the date when the book opens?
2. What did Beck do around 4 p.m.?
3. Who were out in full force in Nepal when news of Beck's rescue was known?
4. From whose point of view is part of Chapter 9?
5. Why did Beck feel guilty?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)