|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Beck stay for a couple days before heading to Lukla?
(a) In India.
(b) At a hotel in Katmandu.
(c) In Tibet meditating.
(d) In Pokhra.
2. What was Beck descending?
(a) The Square above Camp Five.
(b) The Triangle above Camp Four.
(c) The Rectangle below Camp Three.
(d) The Circle above Camp Two.
3. What does the caller tell Peach about Beck?
(a) He was off the mountain but under arrest for not getting the proper permits.
(b) He would be delayed getting off the mountain for a few days.
(c) He died on Everest.
(d) He was in the hospital at Katmandu.
4. Whom did Rob get to talk with before he died?
(a) His three daughters.
(b) His parents.
(c) His pregnant wife.
(d) His fiance.
5. How did Beck get to Lukla once he was in Nepal?
6. In what condition is Yasuko?
(a) She can't be found.
(b) She is dead.
(c) She is well but has some frostbite on her feet.
(d) Hyperthermic coma.
7. Who came by and offered Beck assistance?
(a) No one.
(b) Two Sherpas.
(c) Jon Krakauer.
(d) Steve Mills.
8. Who initiates a helicopter rescue at Base Camp Two for Beck?
(a) Beck's parents.
(b) Beck's brother.
(d) Yasuko's family.
9. What surprised Peach while Beck was in base camp before he even started the climb?
(a) He wrote her two letters.
(b) He called her.
(c) He sent her faxes.
(d) He wrote and said it would be his last climb.
10. In what condition was Beck?
(a) He has three inches of ice covering his entire body.
(b) He is alive and talking.
(c) Hyperthermic coma.
11. How did Beck feel about his role as a father?
(a) He was about the same as his own father had been.
(b) He was better than most of his friends.
(c) He had been a very good father.
(d) He did not do a very good job.
12. Who went to find Beck and Yasuko after the storm abated?
(a) Rob Hall.
(b) Three Sherpas and Stuart Hutchinson.
(c) No one as the two were reported as dead.
(d) Jon Krakauer.
13. Beck lost the use of ____________.
(a) His left ear.
(b) His left eye.
(c) His sense of smell.
(d) His hands.
14. From whose point of view is part of Chapter 9?
(a) Yasuko's family.
(b) Cecilia Boone.
(c) Rob's brother.
(d) Beck's son.
15. What advice did the group at base camp receive?
(a) To leave Beck since he would die anyway.
(b) To ask Beck if he wanted to be given a morphine overdose since he would die in agony otherwise.
(c) To keep Beck from warming up and a doctor would be there soon.
(d) To ready Beck for a rescue sled team.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gave Beck motivation?
2. Where did Dan meet Beck?
3. What did Beck feel at base camp?
4. What does Peach say Beck's obsession with climbing was doing?
5. Why was Beck almost suffocated in his tent?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)