Essay Topic 1
Left for Dead is a memoir by Beck Weathers. Discuss the following:
1. Define the word "genre" in the context of literary criticism.
2. Why do you think literature is categorized by genre?
3. Does it help to know how a book is categorized as to its genre before reading it? Explain.
4. Memoir used to be considered inferior to what are considered "the classics." Why do you think this is so? Do you believe a book such as Left for Dead is inferior to something such as A Tale of Two Cities? Explain.
5. What is your favorite genre and why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast Beck Weathers at the beginning of the novel to him at the end of the novel. How are they alike? How are they different? Are they both sympathetic characters? Which "Beck Weathers" would you most likely have as a friend? Why?
This section contains 2,520 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)