Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Act 5, Scene 1, why does "Le Cid" expect to be defeated in the duel?
2. In Act 4, Scene 1, which two characters enter first?
3. Chimene says her feelings echo those of the people in what way?
4. Chimene is embarrassed when forced to admit what?
5. The Infanta says Chimene should no longer pursue vengeance for what reason?
Essay Topic 1
Consider the relationship between Chimene and Don Sanche throughout the play. Does she care about him? Does she use him? Is she honorable toward him? Similarly, does he care about her? Does he use her? Is he honorable toward her?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the soliloquies in "Le Cid". Why are two of the soliloquies written in rhyming verse, as opposed to all other dialogue in the play? What is the effect of the rhyme on the audience? How do the soliloquies increase your knowledge of a character or advance the action?
Essay Topic 3
In "Le Cid", the sword represents the violent pursuit of honor. Don Rodrigue uses the sword to defend his father's honor, then later he honorably offers it to Chimene to uphold her father's honor. The same sword, defending honor every time, can be used at cross purposes. This shows that honor isn't an absolute, but rather is relative to every person's individual perspective. What, in your opinion, is the playwright's view of honor?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)