|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chimene says that if "Le Cid" dies in the duel, what quickly is forgotten?
2. For what does "Le Cid" apologize to the King?
3. Why is neither competitor dead, following the duel?
4. Leonor says Chimene chooses Don Sanche to fight for her in the duel for what reason?
5. The Infanta says Chimene should no longer pursue vengeance for what reason?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the soliloquies in "Le Cid". Why are two of the soliloquies written in rhyming verse, as opposed to all other dialogue in the play? What is the effect of the rhyme on the audience? How do the soliloquies increase your knowledge of a character or advance the action?
Essay Topic 2
Chimene, Don Rodrigue, and the Infanta all feel great obligation toward their parents. All sacrifice their own desires to uphold their parents' honor and desires. Do you agree with their actions? Are there times when an adult child is justified in defying a parent's wishes?
Essay Topic 3
Chimene and Don Rodrigue both say that without honor, they wouldn't be deserving of each others' love. Ironically, if they both uphold their sense of honor, they can never be together. Other than arranging a duel between Don Rodrigue and Don Sanche, how can Chimene and Don Rodrigue resolve their dilemma?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)