|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The King says that everything to do with whose death is forgotten?
2. At the end of Act 5, Scene 3, who does the Infanta ask to accompany her on a visit to Chimene?
3. In Act 5, Scene 3, the Infanta says she can never marry which character?
4. By the end of Act 5, Scene 3, why does the Infanta say she no longer loves Don Rodrigue?
5. What does Don Diegue predict happens if Don Rodrigue is successful in battle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story of "Le Cid" is told countless times, in many different ways. Research one other version of the story -- poem, opera, play, or film -- and discuss ways in which it is similar to and different from the Pierre Corneille version.
Essay Topic 2
If Don Rodrigue fails to ward off the invaders in battle, and does not become the great hero, "Le Cid", how does the play progress differently? Is there a second duel, between Don Rodrigue and Don Sanche? If so or if not, how does this outcome affect Don Rodrigue, Chimene, and the Infanta? Does the King feel differently, regarding whether or not to punish Don Rodrigue?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the soliloquies in "Le Cid". Why are two of the soliloquies written in rhyming verse, as opposed to all other dialogue in the play? What is the effect of the rhyme on the audience? How do the soliloquies increase your knowledge of a character or advance the action?
This section contains 1,250 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)