|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chimene says her feelings echo those of the people in what way?
2. Which character says there is no such thing as perfect happiness?
3. In Act 5, Scene 6, who enters with the King?
4. The King orders which character to assume the title, role, and responsibilities of "Le Cid" at the end of the play?
5. In Act 4, Scene 4, what news does the messenger deliver?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the relationship between Chimene and Don Sanche throughout the play. Does she care about him? Does she use him? Is she honorable toward him? Similarly, does he care about her? Does he use her? Is he honorable toward her?
Essay Topic 2
The story of "Le Cid" is told countless times, in many different ways. Research one other version of the story -- poem, opera, play, or film -- and discuss ways in which it is similar to and different from the Pierre Corneille version.
Essay Topic 3
In "Le Cid", the sword represents the violent pursuit of honor. Don Rodrigue uses the sword to defend his father's honor, then later he honorably offers it to Chimene to uphold her father's honor. The same sword, defending honor every time, can be used at cross purposes. This shows that honor isn't an absolute, but rather is relative to every person's individual perspective. What, in your opinion, is the playwright's view of honor?
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)