Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Act 5, Scene 1, why does "Le Cid" expect to be defeated in the duel?
2. In Act 4, Scene 1, which two characters enter first?
3. Chimene says her feelings echo those of the people in what way?
4. Chimene is embarrassed when forced to admit what?
5. The Infanta says Chimene should no longer pursue vengeance for what reason?
Essay Topic 1
Why does the King choose Don Diegue to tutor his son, rather than Don Gomes? Do you agree with this choice? Discuss experience vs. skill, as the best quality for a tutor to possess.
Essay Topic 2
A cornerstone of democracy is the right of all citizens to question their government, and to protest or overturn laws when an injustice exists. In a monarchy, however, such as the one in "Le Cid", the people do not have such rights. In "Le Cid", a sense of honor causes some characters to act against the wishes of the King. Which characters come to mind, in this regard? Is it possible, by the end of the play, for those characters to balance personal honor against an obligation to honor the King's wishes?
Essay Topic 3
If Don Gomes is chosen to tutor the King's son rather than Don Diegue, how does the play progress differently? Is there still a duel between Don Gomes and Don Diegue? If so or if not, how does this outcome affect Don Rodrigue, Chimene, and the Infanta?
This section contains 1,320 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)