|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Act 5, Scene 1, why does "Le Cid" expect to be defeated in the duel?
2. In Act 4, Scene 1, which two characters enter first?
3. Chimene says her feelings echo those of the people in what way?
4. Chimene is embarrassed when forced to admit what?
5. The Infanta says Chimene should no longer pursue vengeance for what reason?
Essay Topic 1
The play "Le Cid" features two love triangles. Who are the three characters in each triangle, and what are their feelings for each other? Do the triangles overlap? Are the characters in the love triangles honorable? How could these characters best balance honor, love, and morality to achieve peace or joy?
Essay Topic 2
Chimene and Don Rodrigue both say that without honor, they wouldn't be deserving of each others' love. Ironically, if they both uphold their sense of honor, they can never be together. Other than arranging a duel between Don Rodrigue and Don Sanche, how can Chimene and Don Rodrigue resolve their dilemma?
Essay Topic 3
The Infanta best represents the play's thematic statement that it is possible for love and honor to live in balance with each other. Give several examples of the Infanta's ability to balance honor with other considerations.
This section contains 1,320 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)