|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 5, Scene 6, what does Chimene ask the King to do?
2. What decision does Chimene say she does not have the right to make?
3. Leonor says Chimene chooses Don Sanche to fight for her in the duel for what reason?
4. The King orders which character to assume the title, role, and responsibilities of "Le Cid" at the end of the play?
5. The King says that everything to do with whose death is forgotten?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "Le Cid", the sword represents the violent pursuit of honor. Don Rodrigue uses the sword to defend his father's honor, then later he honorably offers it to Chimene to uphold her father's honor. The same sword, defending honor every time, can be used at cross purposes. This shows that honor isn't an absolute, but rather is relative to every person's individual perspective. What, in your opinion, is the playwright's view of honor?
Essay Topic 2
If Don Gomes is chosen to tutor the King's son rather than Don Diegue, how does the play progress differently? Is there still a duel between Don Gomes and Don Diegue? If so or if not, how does this outcome affect Don Rodrigue, Chimene, and the Infanta?
Essay Topic 3
Consider the relationship between Chimene and Don Sanche throughout the play. Does she care about him? Does she use him? Is she honorable toward him? Similarly, does he care about her? Does he use her? Is he honorable toward her?
This section contains 1,306 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)