Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Act 5, Scene 1, why does "Le Cid" expect to be defeated in the duel?
2. In Act 4, Scene 1, which two characters enter first?
3. Chimene says her feelings echo those of the people in what way?
4. Chimene is embarrassed when forced to admit what?
5. The Infanta says Chimene should no longer pursue vengeance for what reason?
Essay Topic 1
Research and discuss the history of the duel as a means of resolving disputes. Based on custom at the time of the play, is Don Diegue justified in asking his son, Don Rodrigue, to fight for his honor in a duel? Is Chimene justified in asking a suitor she does not love, Don Sanche, to fight for her father's honor in a duel? Why does the King at first refuse to allow a duel between Don Rodrigue and Don Sanche?
Essay Topic 2
List at least three examples in "Le Cid", in which a character chooses honor over love. Can you list at least three examples in "Le Cid" in which a character disregards honor in favor of some other principle, such as love or morality? Which decisions lead to the most desirable outcomes?
Essay Topic 3
If Don Gomes is chosen to tutor the King's son rather than Don Diegue, how does the play progress differently? Is there still a duel between Don Gomes and Don Diegue? If so or if not, how does this outcome affect Don Rodrigue, Chimene, and the Infanta?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)