|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 5, Scene 6, who enters with the King?
2. The soldiers, now gathered to defend the kingdom, originally come together for what purpose?
3. Don Rodrigue says that it is dishonorable to be what?
4. At the end of Act 5, Scene 3, the Infanta wants to reassure Chimene by telling her what?
5. Leonor says which character is outmatched in the duel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you enjoy "Le Cid"? Why or why not? In your answer, consider matters of theme, characterization, plot, and entertainment value.
Essay Topic 2
If Don Gomes is chosen to tutor the King's son rather than Don Diegue, how does the play progress differently? Is there still a duel between Don Gomes and Don Diegue? If so or if not, how does this outcome affect Don Rodrigue, Chimene, and the Infanta?
Essay Topic 3
A cornerstone of democracy is the right of all citizens to question their government, and to protest or overturn laws when an injustice exists. In a monarchy, however, such as the one in "Le Cid", the people do not have such rights. In "Le Cid", a sense of honor causes some characters to act against the wishes of the King. Which characters come to mind, in this regard? Is it possible, by the end of the play, for those characters to balance personal honor against an obligation to honor the King's wishes?
This section contains 317 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)