|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What lie does the King tell Chimene?
2. What does Chimene say happens to "Le Cid's" honor if he loses the duel?
3. Which character says he loves Chimene so much that her desire is his?
4. At the end of Act 3, Scene 5, where do the two characters decide to go?
5. For what does "Le Cid" apologize to the King?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story of "Le Cid" is told countless times, in many different ways. Research one other version of the story -- poem, opera, play, or film -- and discuss ways in which it is similar to and different from the Pierre Corneille version.
Essay Topic 2
Research the historical record of the real "Le Cid" or "El Cid." Compare the story of the real man to the Pierre Corneille version.
Essay Topic 3
In "Le Cid", the sword represents the violent pursuit of honor. Don Rodrigue uses the sword to defend his father's honor, then later he honorably offers it to Chimene to uphold her father's honor. The same sword, defending honor every time, can be used at cross purposes. This shows that honor isn't an absolute, but rather is relative to every person's individual perspective. What, in your opinion, is the playwright's view of honor?
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)