|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the King lie to Chimene?
2. The King orders which character to assume the title, role, and responsibilities of "Le Cid" at the end of the play?
3. At the end of Act 5, Scene 3, who does the Infanta ask to accompany her on a visit to Chimene?
4. In Act 5, Scene 6, what does Chimene ask the King to do?
5. In Act 5, Scene 4, why does Chimene say she is unhappy no matter who wins the duel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
List at least three examples in "Le Cid", in which a character chooses honor over love. Can you list at least three examples in "Le Cid" in which a character disregards honor in favor of some other principle, such as love or morality? Which decisions lead to the most desirable outcomes?
Essay Topic 2
Research and discuss the history of the duel as a means of resolving disputes. Based on custom at the time of the play, is Don Diegue justified in asking his son, Don Rodrigue, to fight for his honor in a duel? Is Chimene justified in asking a suitor she does not love, Don Sanche, to fight for her father's honor in a duel? Why does the King at first refuse to allow a duel between Don Rodrigue and Don Sanche?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of foreshadowing in "Le Cid". Does foreshadowing add to your enjoyment of the play? Does foreshadowing add to or take away from your sense of the characters and their free will? When the Infanta predicts that Don Rodrigue's victory in a duel leads to his later victory in battle, the idea seems far-fetched. When the prediction comes true, do you feel satisfied or manipulated?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)