|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Act 5, Scene 1, why does "Le Cid" expect to be defeated in the duel?
2. In Act 4, Scene 1, which two characters enter first?
3. Chimene says her feelings echo those of the people in what way?
4. Chimene is embarrassed when forced to admit what?
5. The Infanta says Chimene should no longer pursue vengeance for what reason?
Essay Topic 1
The Infanta best represents the play's thematic statement that it is possible for love and honor to live in balance with each other. Give several examples of the Infanta's ability to balance honor with other considerations.
Essay Topic 2
Research the historical record of the real "Le Cid" or "El Cid." Compare the story of the real man to the Pierre Corneille version.
Essay Topic 3
Chimene and Don Rodrigue both say that without honor, they wouldn't be deserving of each others' love. Ironically, if they both uphold their sense of honor, they can never be together. Other than arranging a duel between Don Rodrigue and Don Sanche, how can Chimene and Don Rodrigue resolve their dilemma?
This section contains 1,320 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)