|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does "Le Cid" believe people say if he dies in the duel?
2. The Infanta says she no longer loves Don Rodrigue, but instead loves who?
3. In Act 5, Scene 3, the Infanta says she can never marry which character?
4. Chimene says her feelings echo those of the people in what way?
5. What does the King say to Chimene, following the duel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the relationship between Chimene and Don Sanche throughout the play. Does she care about him? Does she use him? Is she honorable toward him? Similarly, does he care about her? Does he use her? Is he honorable toward her?
Essay Topic 2
Who is the most admirable character in "Le Cid"? What qualities do you admire most about that character? Does the character you chose grow as a person or learn from mistakes over the course of the play? Is honor at or near the top of your list of admirable qualities?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the pros and cons of living a life based on honor above all else. Discuss the pros and cons of living a life based on happiness above all else. Which extreme do you choose to live by? Do you prefer to take the middle ground? Why or why not? Which character in "Le Cid" lives their life closest to the way you wish to live yours, in terms of the questions listed here?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)