|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Don Rodrigue feel remorseful?
2. In Act 5, Scene 4, why does Chimene say she is unhappy no matter who wins the duel?
3. Who apologizes to the King for speaking rashly?
4. In Act 5, Scene 6, who enters with the King?
5. In Act 5, Scene 1, which two characters agree to duel for the hand of Chimene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If Don Gomes is chosen to tutor the King's son rather than Don Diegue, how does the play progress differently? Is there still a duel between Don Gomes and Don Diegue? If so or if not, how does this outcome affect Don Rodrigue, Chimene, and the Infanta?
Essay Topic 2
Do you enjoy "Le Cid"? Why or why not? In your answer, consider matters of theme, characterization, plot, and entertainment value.
Essay Topic 3
Research the historical record of the real "Le Cid" or "El Cid." Compare the story of the real man to the Pierre Corneille version.
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)