|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is appointed to judge the duel between "Le Cid" and Don Sanche?
2. Leonor says which character is outmatched in the duel?
3. In Act 5, Scene 3, the Infanta says she can never marry which character?
4. What does the Infanta tell Chimene, regarding honor?
5. In Act 5, Scene 1, which character says he needs to see Chimene again before he dies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chimene, Don Rodrigue, and the Infanta all feel great obligation toward their parents. All sacrifice their own desires to uphold their parents' honor and desires. Do you agree with their actions? Are there times when an adult child is justified in defying a parent's wishes?
Essay Topic 2
The play "Le Cid" features two love triangles. Who are the three characters in each triangle, and what are their feelings for each other? Do the triangles overlap? Are the characters in the love triangles honorable? How could these characters best balance honor, love, and morality to achieve peace or joy?
Essay Topic 3
Consider the relationship between Chimene and Don Sanche throughout the play. Does she care about him? Does she use him? Is she honorable toward him? Similarly, does he care about her? Does he use her? Is he honorable toward her?
This section contains 1,231 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)