|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chimene say happens to "Le Cid's" honor if he loses the duel?
2. Leonor says which character is outmatched in the duel?
3. Why does Don Rodrigue feel remorseful?
4. What is the main idea presented in the soliloquy at the end of Act 5, Scene 1?
5. Who apologizes to the King for speaking rashly?
Essay Topic 1
Who is the most admirable character in "Le Cid"? What qualities do you admire most about that character? Does the character you chose grow as a person or learn from mistakes over the course of the play? Is honor at or near the top of your list of admirable qualities?
Essay Topic 2
List at least three examples in "Le Cid", in which a character chooses honor over love. Can you list at least three examples in "Le Cid" in which a character disregards honor in favor of some other principle, such as love or morality? Which decisions lead to the most desirable outcomes?
Essay Topic 3
Chimene says that Don Rodrigue's death means death to her. The Infanta says that Don Rodrigue's marriage to Chimene means death to her. For each character, discuss whether she means her death as something literal or metaphorical. For each character, is her death a rational response to the loss of Don Rodrigue?
This section contains 1,254 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)