|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event must be postponed for one year?
2. Chimene is embarrassed when forced to admit what?
3. What does the King say to Chimene, following the duel?
4. In Act 4, Scene 3, who is now called "Le Cid", since the invaders are repelled?
5. Chimene says that if "Le Cid" dies in the duel, what quickly is forgotten?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The play "Le Cid" features two love triangles. Who are the three characters in each triangle, and what are their feelings for each other? Do the triangles overlap? Are the characters in the love triangles honorable? How could these characters best balance honor, love, and morality to achieve peace or joy?
Essay Topic 2
Chimene says that Don Rodrigue's death means death to her. The Infanta says that Don Rodrigue's marriage to Chimene means death to her. For each character, discuss whether she means her death as something literal or metaphorical. For each character, is her death a rational response to the loss of Don Rodrigue?
Essay Topic 3
The story of "Le Cid" is told countless times, in many different ways. Research one other version of the story -- poem, opera, play, or film -- and discuss ways in which it is similar to and different from the Pierre Corneille version.
This section contains 1,302 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)