|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way is this soliloquy in Act 5, Scene 2 similar to that of Don Rodrigue, in Act 1, Scene 6?
2. In Act 5, Scene 4, why does Chimene say she is unhappy no matter who wins the duel?
3. At the end of Act 5, Scene 3, the Infanta wants to reassure Chimene by telling her what?
4. At the end of Act 3, Scene 5, where do the two characters decide to go?
5. What does the King say to Chimene, following the duel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The play "Le Cid" features two love triangles. Who are the three characters in each triangle, and what are their feelings for each other? Do the triangles overlap? Are the characters in the love triangles honorable? How could these characters best balance honor, love, and morality to achieve peace or joy?
Essay Topic 2
Research the historical record of the real "Le Cid" or "El Cid." Compare the story of the real man to the Pierre Corneille version.
Essay Topic 3
Do you enjoy "Le Cid"? Why or why not? In your answer, consider matters of theme, characterization, plot, and entertainment value.
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)