|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character says there is no such thing as perfect happiness?
2. The Infanta says Chimene should no longer pursue vengeance for what reason?
3. The King says that everything to do with whose death is forgotten?
4. In Act 5, Scene 3, who suggests that the Infanta must find peace?
5. Chimene says "Le Cid" should be as determined to defend his own honor as he is to defend what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chimene and Don Rodrigue both say that without honor, they wouldn't be deserving of each others' love. Ironically, if they both uphold their sense of honor, they can never be together. Other than arranging a duel between Don Rodrigue and Don Sanche, how can Chimene and Don Rodrigue resolve their dilemma?
Essay Topic 2
List at least three examples in "Le Cid", in which a character chooses honor over love. Can you list at least three examples in "Le Cid" in which a character disregards honor in favor of some other principle, such as love or morality? Which decisions lead to the most desirable outcomes?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the pros and cons of living a life based on honor above all else. Discuss the pros and cons of living a life based on happiness above all else. Which extreme do you choose to live by? Do you prefer to take the middle ground? Why or why not? Which character in "Le Cid" lives their life closest to the way you wish to live yours, in terms of the questions listed here?
This section contains 311 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)