|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Leonor says Chimene chooses Don Sanche to fight for her in the duel for what reason?
2. What lie does the King tell Chimene?
3. In Act 5, Scene 3, the Infanta says she can never marry which character?
4. In Act 4, Scene 5, who accompanies Chimene to see the King?
5. What does the Infanta tell Chimene, regarding honor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chimene and Don Rodrigue both say that without honor, they wouldn't be deserving of each others' love. Ironically, if they both uphold their sense of honor, they can never be together. Other than arranging a duel between Don Rodrigue and Don Sanche, how can Chimene and Don Rodrigue resolve their dilemma?
Essay Topic 2
Research the historical record of the real "Le Cid" or "El Cid." Compare the story of the real man to the Pierre Corneille version.
Essay Topic 3
The Infanta best represents the play's thematic statement that it is possible for love and honor to live in balance with each other. Give several examples of the Infanta's ability to balance honor with other considerations.
This section contains 279 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)