|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the soliloquy in Act 5, Scene 2, what outlasts and transcends hate?
2. The Infanta says she no longer loves Don Rodrigue, but instead loves who?
3. By the end of the soliloquy in Act 5, Scene 2, a character finally comes to accept what truth?
4. In Act 5, Scene 4, why does Chimene say she is unhappy no matter who wins the duel?
5. Which character says there is no such thing as perfect happiness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chimene says that Don Rodrigue's death means death to her. The Infanta says that Don Rodrigue's marriage to Chimene means death to her. For each character, discuss whether she means her death as something literal or metaphorical. For each character, is her death a rational response to the loss of Don Rodrigue?
Essay Topic 2
Research the historical record of the real "Le Cid" or "El Cid." Compare the story of the real man to the Pierre Corneille version.
Essay Topic 3
If Don Rodrigue fails to ward off the invaders in battle, and does not become the great hero, "Le Cid", how does the play progress differently? Is there a second duel, between Don Rodrigue and Don Sanche? If so or if not, how does this outcome affect Don Rodrigue, Chimene, and the Infanta? Does the King feel differently, regarding whether or not to punish Don Rodrigue?
This section contains 1,254 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)