|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chimene say happens to "Le Cid's" honor if he loses the duel?
2. Chimene says her feelings differ from those of the people in what way?
3. In Act 4, Scene 4, what news does the messenger deliver?
4. Why is neither competitor dead, following the duel?
5. The King orders which character to assume the title, role, and responsibilities of "Le Cid" at the end of the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chimene says that Don Rodrigue's death means death to her. The Infanta says that Don Rodrigue's marriage to Chimene means death to her. For each character, discuss whether she means her death as something literal or metaphorical. For each character, is her death a rational response to the loss of Don Rodrigue?
Essay Topic 2
Why does the King choose Don Diegue to tutor his son, rather than Don Gomes? Do you agree with this choice? Discuss experience vs. skill, as the best quality for a tutor to possess.
Essay Topic 3
Research and discuss the history of the duel as a means of resolving disputes. Based on custom at the time of the play, is Don Diegue justified in asking his son, Don Rodrigue, to fight for his honor in a duel? Is Chimene justified in asking a suitor she does not love, Don Sanche, to fight for her father's honor in a duel? Why does the King at first refuse to allow a duel between Don Rodrigue and Don Sanche?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)