|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 4, Scene 1, which two characters enter first?
2. The soldiers, now gathered to defend the kingdom, originally come together for what purpose?
3. Which character imagines he sees a ghost?
4. The King says that, given the actions of "Le Cid", he treats Chimene in what manner?
5. Why does the Infanta say the King believes Don Gomes' glory as a warrior lives again?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Research the historical record of the real "Le Cid" or "El Cid." Compare the story of the real man to the Pierre Corneille version.
Essay Topic 2
Who is the most admirable character in "Le Cid"? What qualities do you admire most about that character? Does the character you chose grow as a person or learn from mistakes over the course of the play? Is honor at or near the top of your list of admirable qualities?
Essay Topic 3
The Infanta best represents the play's thematic statement that it is possible for love and honor to live in balance with each other. Give several examples of the Infanta's ability to balance honor with other considerations.
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)