|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 4, what does the Infanta ask a messenger to do?
2. Leonor asks the Infanta what blunt question?
3. In Act 3, Scene 2, after Chimene responds to a character's offer to avenge her father's death, what does that character do?
4. In Act 2, Scene 2, who challenges another character to a duel?
5. In Act 2, Scene 6, how does the King plan to teach Don Gomes about respect?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 3, the Infanta devises a way to skirt the issue of honor for Don Rodrigue, and to keep him safe. What is this plan? Why does Chimene agree to the plan?
2. What arguments does Chimene make, against Don Rodrigue purposely losing in the duel against Don Sanche?
3. What function does Leonor serve in Act 2, Scene 5?
4. Why does the Infanta encourage a relationship between Chimene and Don Rodrigue, even though she is in love with him?
5. Why does Don Gomes feel there is no honor in dueling with Don Rodrigue?
6. Is the King's reaction to the dispute between Don Diegue and Don Gomes influenced by the impending invasion? Why or why not?
7. In Act 5, Scene 1, Chimene asks Don Rodrigue why he expects to die at the hand of Don Sanche, when he is so successful against her father and in battle. Describe his response.
8. Act 1, Scene 3 includes obstacles to which two future events Chimene and Elvire anticipate in Scene 1?
9. Describe Don Diegue's defense of his son, Don Rodrigue, in Act 2, Scene 8?
10. In Act 2, Scene 8, given that Chimene and Don Diegue both present their arguments to the King, based on what is honorable, how can their requests be so opposite?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the relationship between Chimene and Don Sanche throughout the play. Does she care about him? Does she use him? Is she honorable toward him? Similarly, does he care about her? Does he use her? Is he honorable toward her?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of foreshadowing in "Le Cid". Does foreshadowing add to your enjoyment of the play? Does foreshadowing add to or take away from your sense of the characters and their free will? When the Infanta predicts that Don Rodrigue's victory in a duel leads to his later victory in battle, the idea seems far-fetched. When the prediction comes true, do you feel satisfied or manipulated?
Essay Topic 3
Research and discuss the history of the duel as a means of resolving disputes. Based on custom at the time of the play, is Don Diegue justified in asking his son, Don Rodrigue, to fight for his honor in a duel? Is Chimene justified in asking a suitor she does not love, Don Sanche, to fight for her father's honor in a duel? Why does the King at first refuse to allow a duel between Don Rodrigue and Don Sanche?
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)