|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The King is trying to make peace between which two characters?
2. In Act 1, Scene 1, who tells Chimene that her father is in favor of a marriage between Chimene and the man she loves?
3. In Act 2, Scene 2, Don Gomes says he is glad to see that Don Rodrigue is influenced more by duty than by what?
4. In Act 2, Scene 1, Don Gomes says he can still live, even if which of the following occurs?
5. Why does the Infanta try to forget the man she loves?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Don Gomes feel there is no honor in dueling with Don Rodrigue?
2. Act 1, Scene 3 includes obstacles to which two future events Chimene and Elvire anticipate in Scene 1?
3. How does Don Rodrigue respond, when Don Diegue tells him that honor is more important than love and that women are plentiful?
4. Describe the conversation between Don Diegue and Don Rodrigue, regarding the impending invasion.
5. In Act 2, Scene 3, what is the Infanta's advice to Chimene? Is this advice inspired by her sense of honor?
6. Is the King's reaction to the dispute between Don Diegue and Don Gomes influenced by the impending invasion? Why or why not?
7. The Infanta, in her soliloquy, says that love outlasts and transcends hate. This goes against the logic of most characters throughout the play, who act more out of hate (in the name of honor) than out of love. How does this soliloquy reinforce the main theme of the play?
8. Why does Don Gomes believe he is the best choice of tutor for the King's son?
9. When Chimene learns that Don Rodrigue is in fact alive, what does she request? What arrangements are eventually made, by the end of Act 4, Scene 5?
10. In Act 2, Scene 3, the Infanta devises a way to skirt the issue of honor for Don Rodrigue, and to keep him safe. What is this plan? Why does Chimene agree to the plan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the soliloquies in "Le Cid". Why are two of the soliloquies written in rhyming verse, as opposed to all other dialogue in the play? What is the effect of the rhyme on the audience? How do the soliloquies increase your knowledge of a character or advance the action?
Essay Topic 2
Chimene, Don Rodrigue, and the Infanta all feel great obligation toward their parents. All sacrifice their own desires to uphold their parents' honor and desires. Do you agree with their actions? Are there times when an adult child is justified in defying a parent's wishes?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the pros and cons of living a life based on honor above all else. Discuss the pros and cons of living a life based on happiness above all else. Which extreme do you choose to live by? Do you prefer to take the middle ground? Why or why not? Which character in "Le Cid" lives their life closest to the way you wish to live yours, in terms of the questions listed here?
This section contains 1,078 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)