|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The King chooses which sort of person to tutor his son?
2. Which characters enter first in Act 1, Scene 1?
3. In Act 1, Scenes 4 and 6, which two characters speak in soliloquies?
4. In Act 3, Scene 1, which character says that he deserves to die?
5. In what way are Don Rodrigue and Don Sanche similar?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the internal conflict described in soliloquy by Don Rodrigue, in Act 1, Scene 6.
2. In Act 2, Scene 3, what does the Infanta say the King is trying to do? What does she think happens as a result? What is Chimene's reaction?
3. In Act 4, Scene 3, the King says he listens to Chimene politely, but no longer considers her request to punish Don Rodrigue. Why does the King make this decision?
4. The two captured kings give Don Rodrigue the name, "Le Cid". This is, of course, the title of the play. Is this an appropriate title? Why or why not?
5. What is the final outcome of the play, regarding the future of Don Rodrigue and Chimene, along with the Infanta? How does this ending reinforce the main theme of the play?
6. Why is Don Rodrigue remorseful, even though he wins the duel against Don Gomes?
7. In Act 2, Scene 5, do the Infanta's words indicate a greater concern for honor or for love?
8. In Act 2, Scene 6, does the King believe Don Gomes' actions are honorable, since Don Diegue is appointed as tutor? Why or why not?
9. Describe the conversation between Don Diegue and Don Rodrigue, regarding the impending invasion.
10. In Act 4, Scene 1, when Chimene learns that Don Rodrigue is victorious in battle, she says that she joins the people of the kingdom in their celebration of his heroism, but still wants revenge on him for killing her father. Is she being honorable or stubborn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Infanta best represents the play's thematic statement that it is possible for love and honor to live in balance with each other. Give several examples of the Infanta's ability to balance honor with other considerations.
Essay Topic 2
List at least three examples in "Le Cid", in which a character chooses honor over love. Can you list at least three examples in "Le Cid" in which a character disregards honor in favor of some other principle, such as love or morality? Which decisions lead to the most desirable outcomes?
Essay Topic 3
If Don Gomes is chosen to tutor the King's son rather than Don Diegue, how does the play progress differently? Is there still a duel between Don Gomes and Don Diegue? If so or if not, how does this outcome affect Don Rodrigue, Chimene, and the Infanta?
This section contains 1,134 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)