|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character worries that he loses the love of Chimene?
2. Who does the King ask to escort Chimene home?
3. In Act 3, Scene 1, which characters go into hiding?
4. The King comments that he feels justice is served by the action of which character?
5. Don Arias believes whose arrogance gets him into trouble?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 4, Scene 1, when Chimene learns that Don Rodrigue is victorious in battle, she says that she joins the people of the kingdom in their celebration of his heroism, but still wants revenge on him for killing her father. Is she being honorable or stubborn?
2. In Act 3, Scene 4, Chimene and Don Rodrigue both say that, without honor, they are not worthy of each other's love. However, if they each act as honor dictates, they must be enemies. How does a duel between Don Rodrigue and Don Sanche resolve this problem?
3. Although Chimene loves Don Rodrigue, in Act 2, Scene 8 she begs the King to punish him for killing her father. Detail her arguments.
4. Describe the internal conflict described in soliloquy by Don Rodrigue, in Act 1, Scene 6.
5. Chimene admits that she hopes Don Rodrigue wins the duel, because she does not want to marry Don Sanche. Is Chimene being honorable here?
6. In Act 2, Scene 1, what is Don Gomes' attitude, regarding the King?
7. Act 1, Scenes 1 and 2, contain all dialogue and no action. What is the dramatic purpose of these scenes?
8. How does the Infanta respond to Chimene's renewed desire for vengeance?
9. In Act 2, Scene 6, does the King believe Don Gomes' actions are honorable, since Don Diegue is appointed as tutor? Why or why not?
10. Compare the actions of the Infanta with the actions of Chimene, in terms of honor. How do their actions reveal their differences?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story of "Le Cid" is told countless times, in many different ways. Research one other version of the story -- poem, opera, play, or film -- and discuss ways in which it is similar to and different from the Pierre Corneille version.
Essay Topic 2
Why does the King choose Don Diegue to tutor his son, rather than Don Gomes? Do you agree with this choice? Discuss experience vs. skill, as the best quality for a tutor to possess.
Essay Topic 3
Chimene says that Don Rodrigue's death means death to her. The Infanta says that Don Rodrigue's marriage to Chimene means death to her. For each character, discuss whether she means her death as something literal or metaphorical. For each character, is her death a rational response to the loss of Don Rodrigue?
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)