|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The King comments that he feels justice is served by the action of which character?
2. In Act 2, Scene 4, who leaves the palace, according to the messenger?
3. What is the relationship between Don Diegue and Don Gomes?
4. The King is trying to make peace between which two characters?
5. What does Chimene worry destroys her family's reputation?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 4, Scene 1, when Chimene learns that Don Rodrigue is victorious in battle, she says that she joins the people of the kingdom in their celebration of his heroism, but still wants revenge on him for killing her father. Is she being honorable or stubborn?
2. In Act 5, Scene 1, Chimene asks Don Rodrigue why he expects to die at the hand of Don Sanche, when he is so successful against her father and in battle. Describe his response.
3. When Chimene learns that Don Rodrigue is in fact alive, what does she request? What arrangements are eventually made, by the end of Act 4, Scene 5?
4. Describe the conversation between Don Diegue and Don Rodrigue, regarding the impending invasion.
5. It seems unlikely that Don Rodrigue, inexperienced in battle, suddenly becomes a great war hero. Prior to his duel with Don Gomes. In fact, Don Gomes is hesitant to fight against someone so inexperienced. Does this weak plot development hinder the integrity of the play?
6. How does the Infanta respond to Chimene's renewed desire for vengeance?
7. In Act 2, Scene 3, what is the Infanta's advice to Chimene? Is this advice inspired by her sense of honor?
8. In Act 2, Scene 3, what does the Infanta say the King is trying to do? What does she think happens as a result? What is Chimene's reaction?
9. Why is Don Rodrigue remorseful, even though he wins the duel against Don Gomes?
10. In Act 4, Scene 2, how does Chimene respond when the Infanta tries to comfort her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Research and discuss the history of the duel as a means of resolving disputes. Based on custom at the time of the play, is Don Diegue justified in asking his son, Don Rodrigue, to fight for his honor in a duel? Is Chimene justified in asking a suitor she does not love, Don Sanche, to fight for her father's honor in a duel? Why does the King at first refuse to allow a duel between Don Rodrigue and Don Sanche?
Essay Topic 2
Who is the most admirable character in "Le Cid"? What qualities do you admire most about that character? Does the character you chose grow as a person or learn from mistakes over the course of the play? Is honor at or near the top of your list of admirable qualities?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the pros and cons of living a life based on honor above all else. Discuss the pros and cons of living a life based on happiness above all else. Which extreme do you choose to live by? Do you prefer to take the middle ground? Why or why not? Which character in "Le Cid" lives their life closest to the way you wish to live yours, in terms of the questions listed here?
This section contains 2,011 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)