|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 3, Scene 1, which characters go into hiding?
2. Which character fears that great sorrow follows great joy?
3. Don Rodrigue tells Elvire he's come to visit for what reason?
4. What is the physical disability suffered by Don Diegue?
5. In Act 3, Scene 3, what does Chimene say happens to her after the death of the man she loves?
Short Essay Questions
1. The Infanta, in her soliloquy, says that love outlasts and transcends hate. This goes against the logic of most characters throughout the play, who act more out of hate (in the name of honor) than out of love. How does this soliloquy reinforce the main theme of the play?
2. In Act 3, Scene 4, Chimene and Don Rodrigue both say that, without honor, they are not worthy of each other's love. However, if they each act as honor dictates, they must be enemies. How does a duel between Don Rodrigue and Don Sanche resolve this problem?
3. The Infanta says she no longer loves Don Rodrigue, but now loves "Le Cid", the hero. What does she mean by this statement?
4. Act 1, Scene 3 includes obstacles to which two future events Chimene and Elvire anticipate in Scene 1?
5. Why does Don Gomes feel there is no honor in dueling with Don Rodrigue?
6. Describe Don Diegue's defense of his son, Don Rodrigue, in Act 2, Scene 8?
7. Describe the emotions in Don Rodrigue's soliloquy.
8. In Act 1, Scene 1, what do Chimene and Elvire say about Don Gomes?
9. In Act 2, Scene 2, what does Don Rodrigue do, and is this action based on honor or love?
10. In Act 2, Scene 1, how does Don Arias try to help Don Gomes? Is his attempt successful?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the soliloquies in "Le Cid". Why are two of the soliloquies written in rhyming verse, as opposed to all other dialogue in the play? What is the effect of the rhyme on the audience? How do the soliloquies increase your knowledge of a character or advance the action?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the pros and cons of living a life based on honor above all else. Discuss the pros and cons of living a life based on happiness above all else. Which extreme do you choose to live by? Do you prefer to take the middle ground? Why or why not? Which character in "Le Cid" lives their life closest to the way you wish to live yours, in terms of the questions listed here?
Essay Topic 3
Chimene and Don Rodrigue both say that without honor, they wouldn't be deserving of each others' love. Ironically, if they both uphold their sense of honor, they can never be together. Other than arranging a duel between Don Rodrigue and Don Sanche, how can Chimene and Don Rodrigue resolve their dilemma?
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)