|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Infanta offer to imprison a character?
2. Who is the father of Chimene?
3. In Act 3, Scene 2, who tells Chimene that he is willing to avenge the death of her father?
4. In the opinion of the King, who dishonors the King's judgment?
5. Don Rodrigue tells Elvire he's come to visit for what reason?
Short Essay Questions
1. The Infanta, in her soliloquy, says that love outlasts and transcends hate. This goes against the logic of most characters throughout the play, who act more out of hate (in the name of honor) than out of love. How does this soliloquy reinforce the main theme of the play?
2. Compare and contrast the main conversational threads in Act 1, Scene 1 and Act 1, Scene 2.
3. In Act 2, Scene 3, what is the Infanta's advice to Chimene? Is this advice inspired by her sense of honor?
4. In Act 3, Scene 1, why do Don Rodrigue and Elvire hide from Chimene?
5. Describe the King's plan to test Chimene's love for Don Rodrigue. What is the result of the test?
6. It seems unlikely that Don Rodrigue, inexperienced in battle, suddenly becomes a great war hero. Prior to his duel with Don Gomes. In fact, Don Gomes is hesitant to fight against someone so inexperienced. Does this weak plot development hinder the integrity of the play?
7. Although Chimene loves Don Rodrigue, in Act 2, Scene 8 she begs the King to punish him for killing her father. Detail her arguments.
8. Is the King's reaction to the dispute between Don Diegue and Don Gomes influenced by the impending invasion? Why or why not?
9. In Act 3, Scene 4, Chimene and Don Rodrigue both say that, without honor, they are not worthy of each other's love. However, if they each act as honor dictates, they must be enemies. How does a duel between Don Rodrigue and Don Sanche resolve this problem?
10. Describe Chimene's reaction, when she believes that Don Sanche killed Don Rodrigue in the duel.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Research and discuss the history of the duel as a means of resolving disputes. Based on custom at the time of the play, is Don Diegue justified in asking his son, Don Rodrigue, to fight for his honor in a duel? Is Chimene justified in asking a suitor she does not love, Don Sanche, to fight for her father's honor in a duel? Why does the King at first refuse to allow a duel between Don Rodrigue and Don Sanche?
Essay Topic 2
The play "Le Cid" features two love triangles. Who are the three characters in each triangle, and what are their feelings for each other? Do the triangles overlap? Are the characters in the love triangles honorable? How could these characters best balance honor, love, and morality to achieve peace or joy?
Essay Topic 3
Research the historical record of the real "Le Cid" or "El Cid." Compare the story of the real man to the Pierre Corneille version.
This section contains 1,162 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)