Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 3, who comforts Chimene?
2. Who is chosen by the King to tutor his son?
3. The King chooses which sort of person to tutor his son?
4. Leonor asks the Infanta what blunt question?
5. Which character worries that he loses the love of Chimene?
Short Essay Questions
1. The Infanta says she no longer loves Don Rodrigue, but now loves "Le Cid", the hero. What does she mean by this statement?
2. The Infanta, in her soliloquy, says that love outlasts and transcends hate. This goes against the logic of most characters throughout the play, who act more out of hate (in the name of honor) than out of love. How does this soliloquy reinforce the main theme of the play?
3. Chimene admits that she hopes Don Rodrigue wins the duel, because she does not want to marry Don Sanche. Is Chimene being honorable here?
4. What does Don Rodrigue say happens if he dies in the duel against Don Sanche?
5. In Act 2, Scene 8, given that Chimene and Don Diegue both present their arguments to the King, based on what is honorable, how can their requests be so opposite?
6. What is Don Sanche's real motivation in offering to avenge the death of Chimene's father?
7. Why does Chimene vow to kill herself after Don Rodrigue dies?
8. In Act 4, Scene 3, the King says he listens to Chimene politely, but no longer considers her request to punish Don Rodrigue. Why does the King make this decision?
9. Compare the actions of the Infanta with the actions of Chimene, in terms of honor. How do their actions reveal their differences?
10. How does Don Rodrigue respond, when Don Diegue tells him that honor is more important than love and that women are plentiful?
Essay Topic 1
Consider the relationship between Chimene and Don Sanche throughout the play. Does she care about him? Does she use him? Is she honorable toward him? Similarly, does he care about her? Does he use her? Is he honorable toward her?
Essay Topic 2
Who is the most admirable character in "Le Cid"? What qualities do you admire most about that character? Does the character you chose grow as a person or learn from mistakes over the course of the play? Is honor at or near the top of your list of admirable qualities?
Essay Topic 3
Chimene, Don Rodrigue, and the Infanta all feel great obligation toward their parents. All sacrifice their own desires to uphold their parents' honor and desires. Do you agree with their actions? Are there times when an adult child is justified in defying a parent's wishes?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)