|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Infanta offers to use her authority as Princess to imprison which character?
2. Chimene's father agrees with her choice of suitor because he possesses which quality?
3. In Act 1, Scene 5, who is asked to avenge his father's honor?
4. Who says, sarcastically, that the Prince cannot have a better tutor?
5. Who prays for finding joy in the happiness of others?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Don Rodrigue say happens if he dies in the duel against Don Sanche?
2. Why does the Infanta encourage a relationship between Chimene and Don Rodrigue, even though she is in love with him?
3. Why does Don Gomes believe he is the best choice of tutor for the King's son?
4. How does Chimene respond to the offer made by Don Sanche? What does this response reveal about her character?
5. What is Don Sanche's real motivation in offering to avenge the death of Chimene's father?
6. Act 1, Scenes 1 and 2, contain all dialogue and no action. What is the dramatic purpose of these scenes?
7. When Chimene learns that Don Rodrigue is in fact alive, what does she request? What arrangements are eventually made, by the end of Act 4, Scene 5?
8. Chimene admits that she hopes Don Rodrigue wins the duel, because she does not want to marry Don Sanche. Is Chimene being honorable here?
9. In Act 4, Scene 3, the King says he listens to Chimene politely, but no longer considers her request to punish Don Rodrigue. Why does the King make this decision?
10. The Infanta, in her soliloquy, says that love outlasts and transcends hate. This goes against the logic of most characters throughout the play, who act more out of hate (in the name of honor) than out of love. How does this soliloquy reinforce the main theme of the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you enjoy "Le Cid"? Why or why not? In your answer, consider matters of theme, characterization, plot, and entertainment value.
Essay Topic 2
Chimene, Don Rodrigue, and the Infanta all feel great obligation toward their parents. All sacrifice their own desires to uphold their parents' honor and desires. Do you agree with their actions? Are there times when an adult child is justified in defying a parent's wishes?
Essay Topic 3
Research and discuss the history of the duel as a means of resolving disputes. Based on custom at the time of the play, is Don Diegue justified in asking his son, Don Rodrigue, to fight for his honor in a duel? Is Chimene justified in asking a suitor she does not love, Don Sanche, to fight for her father's honor in a duel? Why does the King at first refuse to allow a duel between Don Rodrigue and Don Sanche?
This section contains 1,860 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)