|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the King not want to announce the impending invasion?
2. Who brags that even the trial swings of his sword are master strokes?
3. The King chooses which sort of person to tutor his son?
4. In Act 2, Scene 4, which character bursts into tears and exits, believing the duel begins?
5. In Act 2, Scene 6, how does the King plan to teach Don Gomes about respect?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Don Sanche's real motivation in offering to avenge the death of Chimene's father?
2. Why is it ironic that Don Gomes admires Don Rodrigue's sense of honor?
3. In Act 3, Scene 5, Don Diegue laments in soliloquy about his unhappiness since the duel is fought. Don Diegue's son follows his wishes in defending his honor, and yet he is not happy. What emotional punishments must Don Diegue endure?
4. In Act 2, Scene 3, the Infanta devises a way to skirt the issue of honor for Don Rodrigue, and to keep him safe. What is this plan? Why does Chimene agree to the plan?
5. Is the King's reaction to the dispute between Don Diegue and Don Gomes influenced by the impending invasion? Why or why not?
6. In Act 5, Scene 4, Chimene complains that no matter how the duel turns out, she loses. Either she loses her last chance to avenge her father's death, or she has to grieve the death of Don Rodrigue. How does this statement reveal the character of Chimene? How does Elvire respond?
7. Compare the actions of the Infanta with the actions of Chimene, in terms of honor. How do their actions reveal their differences?
8. What does Don Rodrigue say happens if he dies in the duel against Don Sanche?
9. Describe the emotions in Don Rodrigue's soliloquy.
10. In Act 1, Scene 1, what do Chimene and Elvire say about Don Gomes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the soliloquies in "Le Cid". Why are two of the soliloquies written in rhyming verse, as opposed to all other dialogue in the play? What is the effect of the rhyme on the audience? How do the soliloquies increase your knowledge of a character or advance the action?
Essay Topic 2
If Don Gomes is chosen to tutor the King's son rather than Don Diegue, how does the play progress differently? Is there still a duel between Don Gomes and Don Diegue? If so or if not, how does this outcome affect Don Rodrigue, Chimene, and the Infanta?
Essay Topic 3
Research and discuss the history of the duel as a means of resolving disputes. Based on custom at the time of the play, is Don Diegue justified in asking his son, Don Rodrigue, to fight for his honor in a duel? Is Chimene justified in asking a suitor she does not love, Don Sanche, to fight for her father's honor in a duel? Why does the King at first refuse to allow a duel between Don Rodrigue and Don Sanche?
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)