|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 4, which character bursts into tears and exits, believing the duel begins?
2. In Act 2, Scenes 1 and 2, Don Gomes is motivated by which emotion?
3. What is the relationship between Don Diegue and Don Gomes?
4. In Act 1, Scene 4, who metaphorically urges his sword to take revenge?
5. Who is chosen by the King to tutor his son?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 3, Scene 4, Chimene and Don Rodrigue both say that, without honor, they are not worthy of each other's love. However, if they each act as honor dictates, they must be enemies. How does a duel between Don Rodrigue and Don Sanche resolve this problem?
2. In Act 4, Scene 1, when Chimene learns that Don Rodrigue is victorious in battle, she says that she joins the people of the kingdom in their celebration of his heroism, but still wants revenge on him for killing her father. Is she being honorable or stubborn?
3. Describe the conversation between Don Diegue and Don Rodrigue, regarding the impending invasion.
4. What does the sword represent, both in Act 1, Scene 5 and in Act 2, Scene 2?
5. Why is Don Rodrigue remorseful, even though he wins the duel against Don Gomes?
6. In Act 2, Scene 1, what is Don Gomes' attitude, regarding the King?
7. What arguments does Chimene make, against Don Rodrigue purposely losing in the duel against Don Sanche?
8. Compare and contrast the main conversational threads in Act 1, Scene 1 and Act 1, Scene 2.
9. Describe the King's plan to test Chimene's love for Don Rodrigue. What is the result of the test?
10. In Act 2, Scene 5, how does the Infanta's fantasy foreshadow future events in the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If Don Rodrigue fails to ward off the invaders in battle, and does not become the great hero, "Le Cid", how does the play progress differently? Is there a second duel, between Don Rodrigue and Don Sanche? If so or if not, how does this outcome affect Don Rodrigue, Chimene, and the Infanta? Does the King feel differently, regarding whether or not to punish Don Rodrigue?
Essay Topic 2
If Don Gomes is chosen to tutor the King's son rather than Don Diegue, how does the play progress differently? Is there still a duel between Don Gomes and Don Diegue? If so or if not, how does this outcome affect Don Rodrigue, Chimene, and the Infanta?
Essay Topic 3
Who is the most admirable character in "Le Cid"? What qualities do you admire most about that character? Does the character you chose grow as a person or learn from mistakes over the course of the play? Is honor at or near the top of your list of admirable qualities?
This section contains 1,941 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)