|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is chosen by the King to tutor his son?
2. Which character has no fear of the King's punishment?
3. In Act 2, Scene 3, who comforts Chimene?
4. In Act 3, Scene 4, who refuses to look at the sword after it is drawn?
5. Who says, sarcastically, that the Prince cannot have a better tutor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare and contrast the main conversational threads in Act 1, Scene 1 and Act 1, Scene 2.
2. Chimene admits that she hopes Don Rodrigue wins the duel, because she does not want to marry Don Sanche. Is Chimene being honorable here?
3. Describe the emotions in Don Rodrigue's soliloquy.
4. What does the sword represent, both in Act 1, Scene 5 and in Act 2, Scene 2?
5. In Act 2, Scene 2, what does Don Rodrigue do, and is this action based on honor or love?
6. In Act 4, Scene 1, when Chimene learns that Don Rodrigue is victorious in battle, she says that she joins the people of the kingdom in their celebration of his heroism, but still wants revenge on him for killing her father. Is she being honorable or stubborn?
7. In Act 2, Scene 5, how does the Infanta's fantasy foreshadow future events in the play?
8. Why does Don Gomes feel there is no honor in dueling with Don Rodrigue?
9. Why does the Infanta say that the wedding of Chimene and Don Rodrigue simultaneously means death and life to her?
10. Why is Don Rodrigue remorseful, even though he wins the duel against Don Gomes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Who is the most admirable character in "Le Cid"? What qualities do you admire most about that character? Does the character you chose grow as a person or learn from mistakes over the course of the play? Is honor at or near the top of your list of admirable qualities?
Essay Topic 2If Don Gomes is chosen to tutor the King's son rather than Don Diegue, how does the play progress differently? Is there still a duel between Don Gomes and Don Diegue? If so or if not, how does this outcome affect Don Rodrigue, Chimene, and the Infanta?
Essay Topic 3The Infanta best represents the play's thematic statement that it is possible for love and honor to live in balance with each other. Give several examples of the Infanta's ability to balance honor with other considerations.
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)