|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the opinion of the King, who dishonors the King's judgment?
2. The Infanta offers to use her authority as Princess to imprison which character?
3. In Act 2, Scene 2, Don Rodrigue mocks Don Gomes for what?
4. In Act 2, Scene 3, who comforts Chimene?
5. Which character fears that great sorrow follows great joy?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 3, what does the Infanta say the King is trying to do? What does she think happens as a result? What is Chimene's reaction?
2. Why is it ironic that Don Gomes admires Don Rodrigue's sense of honor?
3. In Act 2, Scene 7, when the King learns of the death of Don Gomes, he says that justice is served. Why does he say this?
4. Chimene admits that she hopes Don Rodrigue wins the duel, because she does not want to marry Don Sanche. Is Chimene being honorable here?
5. How does the Infanta respond to Chimene's renewed desire for vengeance?
6. In Act 2, Scene 6, does the King believe Don Gomes' actions are honorable, since Don Diegue is appointed as tutor? Why or why not?
7. In Act 1, Scene 4, Don Diegue speaks in soliloquy. Describe his emotions and complaints.
8. Describe Don Diegue's defense of his son, Don Rodrigue, in Act 2, Scene 8?
9. What is Don Sanche's real motivation in offering to avenge the death of Chimene's father?
10. In Act 2, Scene 1, how does Don Arias try to help Don Gomes? Is his attempt successful?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the soliloquies in "Le Cid". Why are two of the soliloquies written in rhyming verse, as opposed to all other dialogue in the play? What is the effect of the rhyme on the audience? How do the soliloquies increase your knowledge of a character or advance the action?
Essay Topic 2
The play "Le Cid" features two love triangles. Who are the three characters in each triangle, and what are their feelings for each other? Do the triangles overlap? Are the characters in the love triangles honorable? How could these characters best balance honor, love, and morality to achieve peace or joy?
Essay Topic 3
Do you enjoy "Le Cid"? Why or why not? In your answer, consider matters of theme, characterization, plot, and entertainment value.
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)