|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 3, Scene 3, what does Chimene say happens to her after the death of the man she loves?
2. In Act 2, Scene 6, how does the King plan to teach Don Gomes about respect?
3. Which two characters agree that love has the power to transcend sense?
4. In Act 2, Scene 6, which two characters discuss the possible invasion of the kingdom?
5. In Act 1, Scene 3, which two characters argue about the King's choice of tutor?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 3, Scene 1, why do Don Rodrigue and Elvire hide from Chimene?
2. The Infanta says she no longer loves Don Rodrigue, but now loves "Le Cid", the hero. What does she mean by this statement?
3. Why does the Infanta say that the wedding of Chimene and Don Rodrigue simultaneously means death and life to her?
4. In Act 2, Scene 3, what is the Infanta's advice to Chimene? Is this advice inspired by her sense of honor?
5. In Act 2, Scene 5, do the Infanta's words indicate a greater concern for honor or for love?
6. What is the final outcome of the play, regarding the future of Don Rodrigue and Chimene, along with the Infanta? How does this ending reinforce the main theme of the play?
7. Why is it ironic that Don Gomes admires Don Rodrigue's sense of honor?
8. Describe Chimene's reaction, when she believes that Don Sanche killed Don Rodrigue in the duel.
9. Compare the actions of the Infanta with the actions of Chimene, in terms of honor. How do their actions reveal their differences?
10. Describe the emotions in Don Rodrigue's soliloquy.
Essay Topic 1
In "Le Cid", the sword represents the violent pursuit of honor. Don Rodrigue uses the sword to defend his father's honor, then later he honorably offers it to Chimene to uphold her father's honor. The same sword, defending honor every time, can be used at cross purposes. This shows that honor isn't an absolute, but rather is relative to every person's individual perspective. What, in your opinion, is the playwright's view of honor?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the pros and cons of living a life based on honor above all else. Discuss the pros and cons of living a life based on happiness above all else. Which extreme do you choose to live by? Do you prefer to take the middle ground? Why or why not? Which character in "Le Cid" lives their life closest to the way you wish to live yours, in terms of the questions listed here?
Essay Topic 3
Why does the King choose Don Diegue to tutor his son, rather than Don Gomes? Do you agree with this choice? Discuss experience vs. skill, as the best quality for a tutor to possess.
This section contains 2,062 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)