|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 1, Scenes 5 and 6, which character must choose between love and honor?
2. In Act 2, Scene 8, which two characters vie for the King's attention?
3. Who says, sarcastically, that the Prince cannot have a better tutor?
4. In Act 3, Scene 4, Chimene tells Don Rodrigue she never finds comfort in him again for what reason?
5. What is the physical disability suffered by Don Diegue?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Don Gomes believe he is the best choice of tutor for the King's son?
2. It seems unlikely that Don Rodrigue, inexperienced in battle, suddenly becomes a great war hero. Prior to his duel with Don Gomes. In fact, Don Gomes is hesitant to fight against someone so inexperienced. Does this weak plot development hinder the integrity of the play?
3. Although Chimene loves Don Rodrigue, in Act 2, Scene 8 she begs the King to punish him for killing her father. Detail her arguments.
4. Act 1, Scenes 1 and 2, contain all dialogue and no action. What is the dramatic purpose of these scenes?
5. Why does Don Gomes feel there is no honor in dueling with Don Rodrigue?
6. Why does Don Diegue believe he is the best choice of tutor for the King's son?
7. In Act 2, Scene 8, given that Chimene and Don Diegue both present their arguments to the King, based on what is honorable, how can their requests be so opposite?
8. What does the sword represent, both in Act 1, Scene 5 and in Act 2, Scene 2?
9. Describe the King's plan to test Chimene's love for Don Rodrigue. What is the result of the test?
10. The Infanta, in her soliloquy, says that love outlasts and transcends hate. This goes against the logic of most characters throughout the play, who act more out of hate (in the name of honor) than out of love. How does this soliloquy reinforce the main theme of the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If Don Gomes is chosen to tutor the King's son rather than Don Diegue, how does the play progress differently? Is there still a duel between Don Gomes and Don Diegue? If so or if not, how does this outcome affect Don Rodrigue, Chimene, and the Infanta?
Essay Topic 2
Chimene, Don Rodrigue, and the Infanta all feel great obligation toward their parents. All sacrifice their own desires to uphold their parents' honor and desires. Do you agree with their actions? Are there times when an adult child is justified in defying a parent's wishes?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of foreshadowing in "Le Cid". Does foreshadowing add to your enjoyment of the play? Does foreshadowing add to or take away from your sense of the characters and their free will? When the Infanta predicts that Don Rodrigue's victory in a duel leads to his later victory in battle, the idea seems far-fetched. When the prediction comes true, do you feel satisfied or manipulated?
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)