|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the King thank for his honesty?
2. Why does the Infanta try to forget the man she loves?
3. Don Arias believes whose arrogance gets him into trouble?
4. Why does the King not want to announce the impending invasion?
5. In Act 2, Scene 8, which two characters vie for the King's attention?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 4, Scene 1, when Chimene learns that Don Rodrigue is victorious in battle, she says that she joins the people of the kingdom in their celebration of his heroism, but still wants revenge on him for killing her father. Is she being honorable or stubborn?
2. The two captured kings give Don Rodrigue the name, "Le Cid". This is, of course, the title of the play. Is this an appropriate title? Why or why not?
3. In Act 1, Scene 5, what does Don Diegue ask his son, Don Rodrigue, to do? Why does he ask him to do this?
4. Act 1, Scene 3 includes obstacles to which two future events Chimene and Elvire anticipate in Scene 1?
5. In Act 1, Scene 4, Don Diegue speaks in soliloquy. Describe his emotions and complaints.
6. The Infanta, in her soliloquy, says that love outlasts and transcends hate. This goes against the logic of most characters throughout the play, who act more out of hate (in the name of honor) than out of love. How does this soliloquy reinforce the main theme of the play?
7. In Act 2, Scene 5, do the Infanta's words indicate a greater concern for honor or for love?
8. Why does the Infanta encourage a relationship between Chimene and Don Rodrigue, even though she is in love with him?
9. When Chimene learns that Don Rodrigue is in fact alive, what does she request? What arrangements are eventually made, by the end of Act 4, Scene 5?
10. Compare the actions of the Infanta with the actions of Chimene, in terms of honor. How do their actions reveal their differences?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of foreshadowing in "Le Cid". Does foreshadowing add to your enjoyment of the play? Does foreshadowing add to or take away from your sense of the characters and their free will? When the Infanta predicts that Don Rodrigue's victory in a duel leads to his later victory in battle, the idea seems far-fetched. When the prediction comes true, do you feel satisfied or manipulated?
Essay Topic 2
Research and discuss the history of the duel as a means of resolving disputes. Based on custom at the time of the play, is Don Diegue justified in asking his son, Don Rodrigue, to fight for his honor in a duel? Is Chimene justified in asking a suitor she does not love, Don Sanche, to fight for her father's honor in a duel? Why does the King at first refuse to allow a duel between Don Rodrigue and Don Sanche?
Essay Topic 3
Do you enjoy "Le Cid"? Why or why not? In your answer, consider matters of theme, characterization, plot, and entertainment value.
This section contains 2,064 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)