|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Infanta offers to use her authority as Princess to imprison which character?
2. Don Arias believes whose arrogance gets him into trouble?
3. In Act 2, Scene 6, how does the King plan to teach Don Gomes about respect?
4. In Act 3, Scene 1, which character says that he deserves to die?
5. What does Chimene worry destroys her family's reputation?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 1, how does Don Arias try to help Don Gomes? Is his attempt successful?
2. In Act 3, Scene 4, Don Rodrigue offers Chimene his sword, but she refuses to take it or even look at it. Discuss the symbolism of this scene.
3. Why does Don Gomes feel there is no honor in dueling with Don Rodrigue?
4. What does the sword represent, both in Act 1, Scene 5 and in Act 2, Scene 2?
5. When Chimene learns that Don Rodrigue is in fact alive, what does she request? What arrangements are eventually made, by the end of Act 4, Scene 5?
6. In Act 2, Scene 7, when the King learns of the death of Don Gomes, he says that justice is served. Why does he say this?
7. Compare and contrast the main conversational threads in Act 1, Scene 1 and Act 1, Scene 2.
8. Chimene admits that she hopes Don Rodrigue wins the duel, because she does not want to marry Don Sanche. Is Chimene being honorable here?
9. In Act 1, Scene 4, Don Diegue speaks in soliloquy. Describe his emotions and complaints.
10. In Act 5, Scene 4, Chimene complains that no matter how the duel turns out, she loses. Either she loses her last chance to avenge her father's death, or she has to grieve the death of Don Rodrigue. How does this statement reveal the character of Chimene? How does Elvire respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is the most admirable character in "Le Cid"? What qualities do you admire most about that character? Does the character you chose grow as a person or learn from mistakes over the course of the play? Is honor at or near the top of your list of admirable qualities?
Essay Topic 2
A cornerstone of democracy is the right of all citizens to question their government, and to protest or overturn laws when an injustice exists. In a monarchy, however, such as the one in "Le Cid", the people do not have such rights. In "Le Cid", a sense of honor causes some characters to act against the wishes of the King. Which characters come to mind, in this regard? Is it possible, by the end of the play, for those characters to balance personal honor against an obligation to honor the King's wishes?
Essay Topic 3
Research and discuss the history of the duel as a means of resolving disputes. Based on custom at the time of the play, is Don Diegue justified in asking his son, Don Rodrigue, to fight for his honor in a duel? Is Chimene justified in asking a suitor she does not love, Don Sanche, to fight for her father's honor in a duel? Why does the King at first refuse to allow a duel between Don Rodrigue and Don Sanche?
This section contains 1,127 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)