|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of Act 2, Scene 8, who does the King summon?
(a) Don Gomes.
(b) Don Rodrigue.
(c) Don Sanche.
(d) Don Arias.
2. In Act 3, Scene 4, who tries to comfort Chimene?
(a) Don Rodrigue.
(b) Don Sanche.
(d) The Infanta.
3. At the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1, where does Don Rodrigue arrive?
(a) His own home.
(b) Chimene's home.
(c) The Infanta's home.
(d) The palace.
4. Which character has no fear of the King's punishment?
(a) Don Gomes.
(b) Don Arias.
(c) Don Rodrigue.
(d) Don Diegue.
5. In Act 2, Scene 2, who challenges another character to a duel?
(a) Don Diegue.
(b) Don Gomes.
(c) The King.
(d) Don Rodrigue.
Short Answer Questions
1. Don Rodrigue tells Elvire he's come to visit for what reason?
2. In Act 2, Scene 5, the Infanta believes which character wins the duel?
3. In Act 2, Scene 6, what advice does Don Sanche give the King?
4. In Act 1, Scene 5, who is asked to avenge his father's honor?
5. The King is trying to make peace between which two characters?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 2, the Infanta is faced with a conflict between love and honor. What does she hope to gain, by choosing honor?
2. The two captured kings give Don Rodrigue the name, "Le Cid". This is, of course, the title of the play. Is this an appropriate title? Why or why not?
3. Describe the conversation between Don Diegue and Don Rodrigue, regarding the impending invasion.
4. In Act 4, Scene 3, the King says he listens to Chimene politely, but no longer considers her request to punish Don Rodrigue. Why does the King make this decision?
5. In Act 2, Scene 2, what does Don Rodrigue do, and is this action based on honor or love?
6. In Act 1, Scene 1, what do Chimene and Elvire say about Don Gomes?
7. Why does Don Diegue believe he is the best choice of tutor for the King's son?
8. Although Chimene loves Don Rodrigue, in Act 2, Scene 8 she begs the King to punish him for killing her father. Detail her arguments.
9. The Infanta says she no longer loves Don Rodrigue, but now loves "Le Cid", the hero. What does she mean by this statement?
10. Why does Don Gomes feel there is no honor in dueling with Don Rodrigue?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)