|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 1, Don Gomes believes the King overlooks his actions for what reason?
(a) His planned marriage to Chimene.
(b) His service as a warrior.
(c) His planned marriage to the Infanta.
(d) His service as tutor to the King's son.
2. In Act 2, Scene 2, Don Rodrigue says he has no fear of Don Gomes for what reason?
(a) Don Rodrigue is fighting for his father's honor.
(b) Don Rodrigue wishes to die.
(c) Don Rodrigue is more experienced than Don Gomes.
(d) Don Gomes has a useless arm.
3. In Act 2, Scene 6, the King complains of whose arrogance?
(a) Don Rodrigue and Chimene.
(b) Don Gomes and Don Rodrigue.
(c) Don Rodrigue and the invaders.
(d) Don Gomes and the invaders.
4. Which characters enter first in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) The Infanta and Leonor.
(b) The Infanta and Chimene.
(c) Chimene and Elvire.
(d) Chimene and Leonor.
5. Which character enters at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 5?
(a) The Infanta.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character worries that he loses the love of Chimene?
2. Which character has no fear of the King's punishment?
3. In Act 1, Scenes 5 and 6, which character must choose between love and honor?
4. In Act 1, Scene 3, which two characters argue about the King's choice of tutor?
5. Don Rodrigue tells Elvire he's come to visit for what reason?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the Infanta decides, in Act 5, Scene 3, to let go of her fantasies and still support the love between Don Rodrigue and Chimene, is she acting out of love or honor?
2. In Act 3, Scene 1, why do Don Rodrigue and Elvire hide from Chimene?
3. Describe the King's plan to test Chimene's love for Don Rodrigue. What is the result of the test?
4. Compare and contrast the main conversational threads in Act 1, Scene 1 and Act 1, Scene 2.
5. In Act 1, Scene 4, Don Diegue speaks in soliloquy. Describe his emotions and complaints.
6. What does Don Rodrigue say happens if he dies in the duel against Don Sanche?
7. Why does Don Diegue believe he is the best choice of tutor for the King's son?
8. Describe Don Diegue's defense of his son, Don Rodrigue, in Act 2, Scene 8?
9. Act 1, Scenes 1 and 2, contain all dialogue and no action. What is the dramatic purpose of these scenes?
10. Act 1, Scene 3 includes obstacles to which two future events Chimene and Elvire anticipate in Scene 1?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)