|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Infanta encourages a relationship between which two characters?
(a) Don Sanche and Chimene.
(b) Don Sanche and Elvire.
(c) Don Rodrigue and Elvire.
(d) Don Rodrigue and Chimene.
2. In what way are Don Rodrigue and Don Sanche similar?
(a) They both love Chimene.
(b) They both wish to tutor the King's son.
(c) They are both sons of Don Gomes.
(d) They are both sons of Don Diegue.
3. Why does the King not want to announce the impending invasion?
(a) He wants to secretly send his own ships into battle.
(b) He does not feel ready to mount a defense.
(c) Without real confirmation, he does not want to panic the people.
(d) He wants to send an army to defend the kingdom.
4. What does Chimene worry destroys her family's reputation?
(a) If Chimene kills Don Rodrigue.
(b) If someone sees Don Sanche in her home.
(c) If someone sees Don Rodrigue in her home.
(d) If Don Rodrigue kills Don Sanche.
5. In Act 3, Scene 4, who tries to comfort Chimene?
(a) Don Rodrigue.
(b) The Infanta.
(d) Don Sanche.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 2, Don Rodrigue says he has no fear of Don Gomes for what reason?
2. Which characters enter first in Act 1, Scene 2?
3. In Act 2, Scene 2, who says he won't fight with someone not his equal, because there is no honor in it?
4. In Act 2, Scene 4, what does the Infanta ask a messenger to do?
5. Which description best fits Elvire?
Short Essay Questions
1. The Infanta says she no longer loves Don Rodrigue, but now loves "Le Cid", the hero. What does she mean by this statement?
2. The Infanta, in her soliloquy, says that love outlasts and transcends hate. This goes against the logic of most characters throughout the play, who act more out of hate (in the name of honor) than out of love. How does this soliloquy reinforce the main theme of the play?
3. In Act 4, Scene 1, when Chimene learns that Don Rodrigue is victorious in battle, she says that she joins the people of the kingdom in their celebration of his heroism, but still wants revenge on him for killing her father. Is she being honorable or stubborn?
4. In Act 1, Scene 2, the Infanta is faced with a conflict between love and honor. What does she hope to gain, by choosing honor?
5. In Act 1, Scene 4, Don Diegue speaks in soliloquy. Describe his emotions and complaints.
6. Why does Don Gomes feel there is no honor in dueling with Don Rodrigue?
7. Act 1, Scene 3 includes obstacles to which two future events Chimene and Elvire anticipate in Scene 1?
8. In Act 2, Scene 1, how does Don Arias try to help Don Gomes? Is his attempt successful?
9. In Act 2, Scene 6, does the King believe Don Gomes' actions are honorable, since Don Diegue is appointed as tutor? Why or why not?
10. In Act 1, Scene 5, what does Don Diegue ask his son, Don Rodrigue, to do? Why does he ask him to do this?
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)