|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 4, what does the Infanta ask a messenger to do?
(a) Bring Don Diegue to her.
(b) Bring Chimene to her.
(c) Bring Don Gomes to her.
(d) Bring Don Rodrigue to her.
2. The King is trying to make peace between which two characters?
(a) The Infanta and Chimene.
(b) Don Diegue and Don Rodrigue.
(c) Don Gomes and Don Diegue.
(d) Don Gomes and Chimene.
3. At the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1, where does Don Rodrigue arrive?
(a) The Infanta's home.
(b) The palace.
(c) Chimene's home.
(d) His own home.
4. The Infanta offers to use her authority as Princess to imprison which character?
(a) Don Gomes.
(b) Don Diegue.
(d) Don Rodrigue.
5. In Act 1, Scene 1, who tells Chimene that her father is in favor of a marriage between Chimene and the man she loves?
(b) Don Gomes.
(c) The Infanta.
(d) Don Rodrigue.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the relationship between Don Diegue and Don Gomes?
2. Who is the father of Chimene?
3. The Infanta imagines what happens to Don Rodrigue, following the duel?
4. As the second act opens, the King is angry with which character?
5. The Infanta encourages a relationship between which two characters?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Don Gomes believe he is the best choice of tutor for the King's son?
2. Act 1, Scene 3 includes obstacles to which two future events Chimene and Elvire anticipate in Scene 1?
3. In Act 3, Scene 4, Don Rodrigue offers Chimene his sword, but she refuses to take it or even look at it. Discuss the symbolism of this scene.
4. In Act 3, Scene 1, why do Don Rodrigue and Elvire hide from Chimene?
5. Describe Chimene's reaction, when she believes that Don Sanche killed Don Rodrigue in the duel.
6. In Act 1, Scene 5, what does Don Diegue ask his son, Don Rodrigue, to do? Why does he ask him to do this?
7. How does the Infanta respond to Chimene's renewed desire for vengeance?
8. In Act 2, Scene 5, do the Infanta's words indicate a greater concern for honor or for love?
9. When Chimene learns that Don Rodrigue is in fact alive, what does she request? What arrangements are eventually made, by the end of Act 4, Scene 5?
10. Compare the actions of the Infanta with the actions of Chimene, in terms of honor. How do their actions reveal their differences?
This section contains 1,074 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)