|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Infanta predict happens, following the wedding of Don Rodrigue and Chimene?
(a) Don Diegue forgives Don Rodrigue.
(b) Don Gomes forgives Don Rodrigue.
(c) Don Diegue and Don Gomes forgive each other.
(d) Chimene forgives Don Diegue.
2. Act 1, Scene 2 introduces which thematic element?
(a) The conflict between war and peace.
(b) The conflict between Chimene and the Infanta.
(c) The conflict between the social classes.
(d) The conflict between love and honor.
3. Who brags that even the trial swings of his sword are master strokes?
(a) Don Rodrigue.
(b) Don Gomes.
(c) The King.
(d) Don Diegue.
4. In Act 2, Scene 4, who leaves the palace, according to the messenger?
(a) Don Rodrigue and Don Gomes.
(b) Chimene and Don Gomes.
(c) Don Rodrigue and Don Diegue.
(d) Don Gomes and Don Diegue.
5. Which character fears that great sorrow follows great joy?
(c) The Infanta.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't Chimene ask the man she loves to be merciful?
2. Why does the King not want to announce the impending invasion?
3. In Act 2, Scene 4, which character bursts into tears and exits, believing the duel begins?
4. Which characters enter first in Act 1, Scene 2?
5. In Act 3, Scene 3, what does Elvire advise Chimene to do, regarding her desire for vengeance?
Short Essay Questions
1. Act 1, Scenes 1 and 2, contain all dialogue and no action. What is the dramatic purpose of these scenes?
2. In Act 2, Scene 2, what does Don Rodrigue do, and is this action based on honor or love?
3. How does the Infanta respond to Chimene's renewed desire for vengeance?
4. What is Don Sanche's real motivation in offering to avenge the death of Chimene's father?
5. In Act 4, Scene 1, when Chimene learns that Don Rodrigue is victorious in battle, she says that she joins the people of the kingdom in their celebration of his heroism, but still wants revenge on him for killing her father. Is she being honorable or stubborn?
6. Act 1, Scene 3 includes obstacles to which two future events Chimene and Elvire anticipate in Scene 1?
7. What arguments does Chimene make, against Don Rodrigue purposely losing in the duel against Don Sanche?
8. Why does the Infanta encourage a relationship between Chimene and Don Rodrigue, even though she is in love with him?
9. When the Infanta decides, in Act 5, Scene 3, to let go of her fantasies and still support the love between Don Rodrigue and Chimene, is she acting out of love or honor?
10. How does Chimene respond to the offer made by Don Sanche? What does this response reveal about her character?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)