|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the relationship between Don Diegue and Don Gomes?
(a) Don Diegue is the tutor of Don Gomes.
(b) Don Diegue is the son of Don Gomes.
(c) Don Diegue is the father of Don Gomes.
(d) Don Diegue is the rival of Don Gomes.
2. Why does the King dismiss the advice of Don Sanche?
(a) Don Sanche is untrustworthy.
(b) Don Sanche is too young to fully understand the situation.
(c) Don Sanche is too old to fully understand the situation.
(d) Don Sanche is an enemy of the kingdom.
3. In Act 2, Scene 8, which two characters vie for the King's attention?
(a) Don Diegue and Don Sanche.
(b) Chimene and Don Diegue.
(c) Chimene and Don Alonse.
(d) Don Diegue and Don Alonse.
4. Which characters enter first in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) The Infanta and Chimene.
(b) Chimene and Elvire.
(c) Chimene and Leonor.
(d) The Infanta and Leonor.
5. In Act 2, Scene 2, who says he won't fight with someone not his equal, because there is no honor in it?
(a) Don Gomes.
(b) Don Diegue.
(c) Don Arias.
(d) Don Rodrigue.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Chimene ask the King to punish, to avenge the death of her father?
2. In Act 2, Scene 2, Don Rodrigue says he has no fear of Don Gomes for what reason?
3. In Act 2, Scene 3. why is Chimene upset?
4. Act 1, Scene 2 introduces which thematic element?
5. At the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1, where does Don Rodrigue arrive?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 2, what does Don Rodrigue do, and is this action based on honor or love?
2. Why does Don Diegue believe he is the best choice of tutor for the King's son?
3. Describe Don Diegue's defense of his son, Don Rodrigue, in Act 2, Scene 8?
4. In Act 5, Scene 4, Chimene complains that no matter how the duel turns out, she loses. Either she loses her last chance to avenge her father's death, or she has to grieve the death of Don Rodrigue. How does this statement reveal the character of Chimene? How does Elvire respond?
5. What arguments does Chimene make, against Don Rodrigue purposely losing in the duel against Don Sanche?
6. Why does Don Gomes feel there is no honor in dueling with Don Rodrigue?
7. Why is Don Rodrigue remorseful, even though he wins the duel against Don Gomes?
8. In Act 2, Scene 6, does the King believe Don Gomes' actions are honorable, since Don Diegue is appointed as tutor? Why or why not?
9. In Act 3, Scene 4, Don Rodrigue offers Chimene his sword, but she refuses to take it or even look at it. Discuss the symbolism of this scene.
10. What is Don Sanche's real motivation in offering to avenge the death of Chimene's father?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)