|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the second act opens, the King is angry with which character?
(a) Don Gomes.
(b) His son.
(c) Don Arias.
(d) Don Rodrigue.
2. In Act 3, Scene 4, Don Rodrigue says he doesn't deserve Chimene's love if he doesn't have what?
(b) Military prowess.
3. Leonor asks the Infanta what blunt question?
(a) Whether the duel is more important than the impending invasion.
(b) Whether love outweighs honor.
(c) Whether honor is more important than social status.
(d) Whether reality equals fantasy.
4. In Act 1, Scene 3, which two characters argue about the King's choice of tutor?
(a) Don Gomes and Don Diegue.
(b) Don Diegue and the King.
(c) Don Diegue and Don Rodrigue.
(d) Don Gomes and Don Rodrigue.
5. In Act 2, Scene 6, which two characters discuss the possible invasion of the kingdom?
(a) The King and Don Arias.
(b) The King and Don Sanche.
(c) The King and Don Gomes.
(d) The King and Don Alonse.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the King dismiss the advice of Don Sanche?
2. In Act 3, Scene 4, who refuses to look at the sword after it is drawn?
3. In Act 2, Scene 2, Don Rodrigue says he has no fear of Don Gomes for what reason?
4. In Act 3, Scene 1, which character says that he deserves to die?
5. In Act 3, Scene 2, after Chimene responds to a character's offer to avenge her father's death, what does that character do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Don Gomes believe he is the best choice of tutor for the King's son?
2. In Act 1, Scene 1, what do Chimene and Elvire say about Don Gomes?
3. Compare the actions of the Infanta with the actions of Chimene, in terms of honor. How do their actions reveal their differences?
4. Why does Don Gomes feel there is no honor in dueling with Don Rodrigue?
5. Describe Don Diegue's defense of his son, Don Rodrigue, in Act 2, Scene 8?
6. Describe the King's plan to test Chimene's love for Don Rodrigue. What is the result of the test?
7. What function does Leonor serve in Act 2, Scene 5?
8. In Act 2, Scene 1, what is Don Gomes' attitude, regarding the King?
9. In Act 2, Scene 5, how does the Infanta's fantasy foreshadow future events in the play?
10. What does the sword represent, both in Act 1, Scene 5 and in Act 2, Scene 2?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)