|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the Infanta offer to imprison a character?
(a) To ensure he is available for the duel.
(b) To prevent him from marrying Chimene.
(c) To punish him for his crimes.
(d) To prevent him from dueling.
2. In Act 2, Scene 3. why is Chimene upset?
(a) The man she loves does not love her.
(b) Her hopes for happiness are so quickly destroyed.
(c) Her father is missing.
(d) The man she loves is killed.
3. Who does the King imprison in the court?
(a) Don Arias.
(b) Don Sanche.
(c) Don Rodrigue.
(d) Don Diegue.
4. Which is the best description of Don Arias?
(a) Father of Don Rodrigue.
(b) Son of Don Gomes.
(c) Tutor to the King's son.
(d) A gentleman of the court.
5. Who prays for finding joy in the happiness of others?
(c) The Infanta.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the King believe that an invasion may soon occur?
2. In Act 2, Scene 6, the King complains of whose arrogance?
3. In Act 1, Scene 3, which two characters argue about the King's choice of tutor?
4. In Act 2, Scene 6, who is with the King when he enters?
5. In what way are Don Rodrigue and Don Sanche similar?
Short Essay Questions
1. Act 1, Scene 3 includes obstacles to which two future events Chimene and Elvire anticipate in Scene 1?
2. Compare the actions of the Infanta with the actions of Chimene, in terms of honor. How do their actions reveal their differences?
3. In Act 4, Scene 2, how does Chimene respond when the Infanta tries to comfort her?
4. The Infanta says she no longer loves Don Rodrigue, but now loves "Le Cid", the hero. What does she mean by this statement?
5. In Act 4, Scene 1, when Chimene learns that Don Rodrigue is victorious in battle, she says that she joins the people of the kingdom in their celebration of his heroism, but still wants revenge on him for killing her father. Is she being honorable or stubborn?
6. How does Chimene respond to the offer made by Don Sanche? What does this response reveal about her character?
7. How does Don Rodrigue respond, when Don Diegue tells him that honor is more important than love and that women are plentiful?
8. In Act 1, Scene 5, what does Don Diegue ask his son, Don Rodrigue, to do? Why does he ask him to do this?
9. Why does Don Diegue believe he is the best choice of tutor for the King's son?
10. Why does Don Gomes believe he is the best choice of tutor for the King's son?
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)