|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 3, Scene 2, who tells Chimene that he is willing to avenge the death of her father?
(a) Don Sanche.
(b) Don Diegue.
(c) Don Arias.
(d) Don Rodrigue.
2. Why can't Chimene ask the man she loves to be merciful?
(a) He is angry with her.
(b) He does not love her.
(c) His honor is destroyed.
(d) He loses his position as tutor to the King's son.
3. In Act 2, Scene 6, what does the King do immediately, to protect the kingdom from the potential invasion?
(a) Fortify the castle.
(b) Post a small additional guard.
(c) Evacuate the castle.
(d) Send Don Rodrigue to scout for information.
4. In Act 2, Scene 2, which character is challenged to a duel?
(a) The King.
(b) Don Rodrigue.
(c) Don Diegue.
(d) Don Gomes.
5. Don Rodrigue tells Elvire he's come to visit for what reason?
(a) To accept the judgment from Chimene that he feels he deserves.
(b) To convince Chimene to forgive him.
(c) To ask the Infanta to speak with the King.
(d) To ask the Infanta to speak with Chimene.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 3, Scene 4, Don Rodrigue says he doesn't deserve Chimene's love if he doesn't have what?
2. In Act 3, Scene 3, what does Elvire advise Chimene to do, regarding her desire for vengeance?
3. In Act 3, Scene 4, Chimene tells Don Rodrigue she never finds comfort in him again for what reason?
4. What does the Infanta predict happens, following the wedding of Don Rodrigue and Chimene?
5. In Act 2, Scene 6, which two characters discuss the possible invasion of the kingdom?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 5, what does Don Diegue ask his son, Don Rodrigue, to do? Why does he ask him to do this?
2. Is the King's reaction to the dispute between Don Diegue and Don Gomes influenced by the impending invasion? Why or why not?
3. Why is it ironic that Don Gomes admires Don Rodrigue's sense of honor?
4. Why does Don Gomes feel there is no honor in dueling with Don Rodrigue?
5. Why is Don Rodrigue remorseful, even though he wins the duel against Don Gomes?
6. Although Chimene loves Don Rodrigue, in Act 2, Scene 8 she begs the King to punish him for killing her father. Detail her arguments.
7. When the Infanta decides, in Act 5, Scene 3, to let go of her fantasies and still support the love between Don Rodrigue and Chimene, is she acting out of love or honor?
8. Compare the actions of the Infanta with the actions of Chimene, in terms of honor. How do their actions reveal their differences?
9. In Act 2, Scene 3, the Infanta devises a way to skirt the issue of honor for Don Rodrigue, and to keep him safe. What is this plan? Why does Chimene agree to the plan?
10. In Act 3, Scene 4, Chimene and Don Rodrigue both say that, without honor, they are not worthy of each other's love. However, if they each act as honor dictates, they must be enemies. How does a duel between Don Rodrigue and Don Sanche resolve this problem?
This section contains 1,143 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)