|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 1, Don Gomes says he cannot endure life without what?
(a) The love of the Infanta.
(b) The love of Chimene.
(c) The use of his arm.
2. In Act 1, Scene 1, who assures Chimene that everything works out according to her hopes?
(b) The Infanta.
(c) Her father.
3. The King is trying to make peace between which two characters?
(a) The Infanta and Chimene.
(b) Don Diegue and Don Rodrigue.
(c) Don Gomes and Don Diegue.
(d) Don Gomes and Chimene.
4. Which character fears that great sorrow follows great joy?
(b) The Infanta.
5. Leonor asks the Infanta what blunt question?
(a) Whether honor is more important than social status.
(b) Whether reality equals fantasy.
(c) Whether the duel is more important than the impending invasion.
(d) Whether love outweighs honor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Chimene ask the King to punish, to avenge the death of her father?
2. In Act 3, Scene 3, what does Elvire advise Chimene to do, regarding her desire for vengeance?
3. In Act 3, Scene 1, which characters go into hiding?
4. Which characters enter first in Act 1, Scene 1?
5. Which description best fits Don Rodrigue?
Short Essay Questions
1. It seems unlikely that Don Rodrigue, inexperienced in battle, suddenly becomes a great war hero. Prior to his duel with Don Gomes. In fact, Don Gomes is hesitant to fight against someone so inexperienced. Does this weak plot development hinder the integrity of the play?
2. Describe the emotions in Don Rodrigue's soliloquy.
3. In Act 2, Scene 7, when the King learns of the death of Don Gomes, he says that justice is served. Why does he say this?
4. In Act 2, Scene 6, does the King believe Don Gomes' actions are honorable, since Don Diegue is appointed as tutor? Why or why not?
5. In Act 2, Scene 2, what does Don Rodrigue do, and is this action based on honor or love?
6. How does Chimene respond to the offer made by Don Sanche? What does this response reveal about her character?
7. Why is Don Rodrigue remorseful, even though he wins the duel against Don Gomes?
8. Chimene admits that she hopes Don Rodrigue wins the duel, because she does not want to marry Don Sanche. Is Chimene being honorable here?
9. Why does the Infanta say that the wedding of Chimene and Don Rodrigue simultaneously means death and life to her?
10. Describe the conversation between Don Diegue and Don Rodrigue, regarding the impending invasion.
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)