|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 2, which character is challenged to a duel?
(a) Don Diegue.
(b) The King.
(c) Don Rodrigue.
(d) Don Gomes.
2. In Act 2, Scene 2, Don Gomes says he is glad to see that Don Rodrigue is influenced more by duty than by what?
3. In Act 3, Scene 3, what does Chimene say happens to her after the death of the man she loves?
(a) She is imprisoned.
(b) She marries Don Rodrigue.
(c) She marries Don Sanche.
(d) She dies too.
4. In Act 3, Scene 4, who tries to comfort Chimene?
(a) Don Rodrigue.
(c) Don Sanche.
(d) The Infanta.
5. In Act 1, Scene 1, who assures Chimene that everything works out according to her hopes?
(a) Her father.
(c) The Infanta.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the King believe that an invasion may soon occur?
2. Who does the King imprison in the court?
3. In Act 2, Scene 5, what does the Infanta confess to Leonor?
4. In Act 2, Scene 6, how does the King plan to teach Don Gomes about respect?
5. In Act 2, Scene 7, what news does the messenger bring?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is the King's reaction to the dispute between Don Diegue and Don Gomes influenced by the impending invasion? Why or why not?
2. What function does Leonor serve in Act 2, Scene 5?
3. What does the sword represent, both in Act 1, Scene 5 and in Act 2, Scene 2?
4. In Act 1, Scene 5, what does Don Diegue ask his son, Don Rodrigue, to do? Why does he ask him to do this?
5. Why does Don Gomes believe he is the best choice of tutor for the King's son?
6. The Infanta, in her soliloquy, says that love outlasts and transcends hate. This goes against the logic of most characters throughout the play, who act more out of hate (in the name of honor) than out of love. How does this soliloquy reinforce the main theme of the play?
7. Describe Chimene's reaction, when she believes that Don Sanche killed Don Rodrigue in the duel.
8. Why does Don Diegue believe he is the best choice of tutor for the King's son?
9. In Act 1, Scene 1, what do Chimene and Elvire say about Don Gomes?
10. In Act 5, Scene 4, Chimene complains that no matter how the duel turns out, she loses. Either she loses her last chance to avenge her father's death, or she has to grieve the death of Don Rodrigue. How does this statement reveal the character of Chimene? How does Elvire respond?
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)