|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the physical disability suffered by Don Diegue?
(a) He cannot walk.
(b) He has a useless leg.
(c) He has a useless arm.
(d) He is blind.
2. What does the Infanta predict happens, following the wedding of Don Rodrigue and Chimene?
(a) Chimene forgives Don Diegue.
(b) Don Diegue forgives Don Rodrigue.
(c) Don Gomes forgives Don Rodrigue.
(d) Don Diegue and Don Gomes forgive each other.
3. Which description best fits Don Rodrigue?
(a) A young soldier.
(b) The King.
(c) The King's son.
(d) Chimene's father.
4. In Act 1, Scenes 4 and 6, which two characters speak in soliloquies?
(a) Don Diegue and Don Rodrigue.
(b) Don Gomes and Don Rodrigue.
(c) Don Diegue and Don Gomes.
(d) Don Gomes and Don Sanche.
5. In Act 1, Scene 1, who assures Chimene that everything works out according to her hopes?
(c) Her father.
(d) The Infanta.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 4, what does the Infanta ask a messenger to do?
2. Don Arias believes whose arrogance gets him into trouble?
3. The King is trying to make peace between which two characters?
4. Which is the best description of Don Arias?
5. In Act 2, Scene 3, who comforts Chimene?
Short Essay Questions
1. Act 1, Scenes 1 and 2, contain all dialogue and no action. What is the dramatic purpose of these scenes?
2. What is Don Sanche's real motivation in offering to avenge the death of Chimene's father?
3. Although Chimene loves Don Rodrigue, in Act 2, Scene 8 she begs the King to punish him for killing her father. Detail her arguments.
4. In Act 3, Scene 5, Don Diegue laments in soliloquy about his unhappiness since the duel is fought. Don Diegue's son follows his wishes in defending his honor, and yet he is not happy. What emotional punishments must Don Diegue endure?
5. How does the Infanta respond to Chimene's renewed desire for vengeance?
6. What does Don Rodrigue say happens if he dies in the duel against Don Sanche?
7. In Act 2, Scene 5, do the Infanta's words indicate a greater concern for honor or for love?
8. Why is Don Rodrigue remorseful, even though he wins the duel against Don Gomes?
9. What arguments does Chimene make, against Don Rodrigue purposely losing in the duel against Don Sanche?
10. In Act 3, Scene 4, Don Rodrigue offers Chimene his sword, but she refuses to take it or even look at it. Discuss the symbolism of this scene.
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)