|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 4, the messenger reports that the two characters who leave the palace are doing what?
2. Act 1, Scene 2 introduces which thematic element?
(a) The conflict between war and peace.
(b) The conflict between the social classes.
(c) The conflict between love and honor.
(d) The conflict between Chimene and the Infanta.
3. In Act 2, Scene 2, Don Rodrigue is motivated by which emotion?
4. What is the relationship between Don Diegue and Don Rodrigue?
(a) Don Diegue is the father of Don Rodrigue.
(b) Don Diegue is the tutor of Don Rodrigue.
(c) Don Diegue is the son of Don Rodrigue.
(d) Don Diegue is the rival of Don Rodrigue.
5. In Act 3, Scene 2, how does Chimene respond to a character's offer to avenge her father's death?
(a) She says she keeps his offer in mind.
(b) She refuses his offer.
(c) She threatens to have him imprisoned.
(d) She accepts his offer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the King believe that an invasion may soon occur?
2. In Act 2, Scene 7, what news does the messenger bring?
3. Why does the King not want to announce the impending invasion?
4. In Act 2, Scene 2, Don Rodrigue says he has no fear of Don Gomes for what reason?
5. In Act 3, Scene 4, Don Rodrigue says he doesn't deserve Chimene's love if he doesn't have what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Infanta respond to Chimene's renewed desire for vengeance?
2. In Act 1, Scene 5, what does Don Diegue ask his son, Don Rodrigue, to do? Why does he ask him to do this?
3. Why is it ironic that Don Gomes admires Don Rodrigue's sense of honor?
4. Chimene admits that she hopes Don Rodrigue wins the duel, because she does not want to marry Don Sanche. Is Chimene being honorable here?
5. In Act 2, Scene 5, do the Infanta's words indicate a greater concern for honor or for love?
6. In Act 3, Scene 5, Don Diegue laments in soliloquy about his unhappiness since the duel is fought. Don Diegue's son follows his wishes in defending his honor, and yet he is not happy. What emotional punishments must Don Diegue endure?
7. Describe Don Diegue's defense of his son, Don Rodrigue, in Act 2, Scene 8?
8. In Act 2, Scene 1, what is Don Gomes' attitude, regarding the King?
9. In Act 2, Scene 2, what does Don Rodrigue do, and is this action based on honor or love?
10. Why does Don Gomes believe he is the best choice of tutor for the King's son?
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)