|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 5, what does the Infanta confess to Leonor?
(a) That she lets her imagination run away with her.
(b) That she lies to Chimene.
(c) That she plans to elope with Don Rodrigue.
(d) That she plans to elope with Don Diegue.
2. In Act 1, Scene 3, which character draws his sword?
(a) Don Gomes.
(b) Don Rodrigue.
(c) Don Diegue.
(d) Don Sanche.
3. In Act 2, Scene 6, which two characters discuss the possible invasion of the kingdom?
(a) The King and Don Alonse.
(b) The King and Don Sanche.
(c) The King and Don Arias.
(d) The King and Don Gomes.
4. In Act 2, Scene 8, which two characters vie for the King's attention?
(a) Chimene and Don Diegue.
(b) Chimene and Don Alonse.
(c) Don Diegue and Don Alonse.
(d) Don Diegue and Don Sanche.
5. The Infanta imagines what happens to Don Rodrigue, following the duel?
(a) Don Rodrigue's defeat causes him to leave the kingdom.
(b) Don Rodrigue's courage leads him to conquer kingdoms.
(c) Don Rodrigue is the new tutor for the King's son.
(d) Don Rodrigue kills himself out of guilt.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character worries that he loses the love of Chimene?
2. In Act 1, Scene 4, who metaphorically urges his sword to take revenge?
3. In the opinion of the King, who dishonors the King's judgment?
4. Which is the best description of Don Arias?
5. In Act 2, Scene 2, Don Rodrigue says he has no fear of Don Gomes for what reason?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is the King's reaction to the dispute between Don Diegue and Don Gomes influenced by the impending invasion? Why or why not?
2. Describe the internal conflict described in soliloquy by Don Rodrigue, in Act 1, Scene 6.
3. In Act 4, Scene 1, when Chimene learns that Don Rodrigue is victorious in battle, she says that she joins the people of the kingdom in their celebration of his heroism, but still wants revenge on him for killing her father. Is she being honorable or stubborn?
4. Chimene admits that she hopes Don Rodrigue wins the duel, because she does not want to marry Don Sanche. Is Chimene being honorable here?
5. In Act 2, Scene 3, what does the Infanta say the King is trying to do? What does she think happens as a result? What is Chimene's reaction?
6. Act 1, Scenes 1 and 2, contain all dialogue and no action. What is the dramatic purpose of these scenes?
7. In Act 2, Scene 5, how does the Infanta's fantasy foreshadow future events in the play?
8. Describe the emotions in Don Rodrigue's soliloquy.
9. In Act 5, Scene 1, Chimene asks Don Rodrigue why he expects to die at the hand of Don Sanche, when he is so successful against her father and in battle. Describe his response.
10. In Act 4, Scene 2, how does Chimene respond when the Infanta tries to comfort her?
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)