|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which characters enter first in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) The Infanta and Leonor.
(b) Chimene and Leonor.
(c) The Infanta and Chimene.
(d) Chimene and Elvire.
2. Why does the King dismiss the advice of Don Sanche?
(a) Don Sanche is an enemy of the kingdom.
(b) Don Sanche is too young to fully understand the situation.
(c) Don Sanche is untrustworthy.
(d) Don Sanche is too old to fully understand the situation.
3. Which description best fits Leonor?
(a) Confidante of the Infanta.
(b) In love with Don Sanche.
(c) In love with Don Rodrigue.
(d) Confidante of Chimene.
4. Who does the King imprison in the court?
(a) Don Arias.
(b) Don Rodrigue.
(c) Don Diegue.
(d) Don Sanche.
5. At the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1, where does Don Rodrigue arrive?
(a) His own home.
(b) Chimene's home.
(c) The palace.
(d) The Infanta's home.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 3, Scene 2, who tells Chimene that he is willing to avenge the death of her father?
2. The Infanta encourages a relationship between which two characters?
3. In Act 2, Scene 4, what does the Infanta ask a messenger to do?
4. In Act 2, Scene 6, who is with the King when he enters?
5. In Act 2, Scene 6, what does the King do immediately, to protect the kingdom from the potential invasion?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 5, Scene 4, Chimene complains that no matter how the duel turns out, she loses. Either she loses her last chance to avenge her father's death, or she has to grieve the death of Don Rodrigue. How does this statement reveal the character of Chimene? How does Elvire respond?
2. Describe Don Diegue's defense of his son, Don Rodrigue, in Act 2, Scene 8?
3. Why is Don Rodrigue remorseful, even though he wins the duel against Don Gomes?
4. Describe the King's plan to test Chimene's love for Don Rodrigue. What is the result of the test?
5. Act 1, Scene 3 includes obstacles to which two future events Chimene and Elvire anticipate in Scene 1?
6. Compare the actions of the Infanta with the actions of Chimene, in terms of honor. How do their actions reveal their differences?
7. Although Chimene loves Don Rodrigue, in Act 2, Scene 8 she begs the King to punish him for killing her father. Detail her arguments.
8. In Act 1, Scene 4, Don Diegue speaks in soliloquy. Describe his emotions and complaints.
9. In Act 2, Scene 8, given that Chimene and Don Diegue both present their arguments to the King, based on what is honorable, how can their requests be so opposite?
10. In Act 3, Scene 4, Chimene and Don Rodrigue both say that, without honor, they are not worthy of each other's love. However, if they each act as honor dictates, they must be enemies. How does a duel between Don Rodrigue and Don Sanche resolve this problem?
This section contains 1,068 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)