|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 6, how does the King plan to teach Don Gomes about respect?
(a) Imprison him.
(b) Sentence him to death.
(c) Challenge him to a duel.
(d) Order him to take lessons from his son's tutor.
2. Which description best fits Elvire?
(a) Confidante of Chimene.
(b) In love with Don Rodrigue.
(c) Confidante of the Infanta.
(d) In love with Don Sanche.
3. Which characters enter first in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) The Infanta and Chimene.
(b) Chimene and Leonor.
(c) Chimene and Elvire.
(d) The Infanta and Leonor.
4. The Infanta imagines what happens to Don Rodrigue, following the duel?
(a) Don Rodrigue kills himself out of guilt.
(b) Don Rodrigue is the new tutor for the King's son.
(c) Don Rodrigue's defeat causes him to leave the kingdom.
(d) Don Rodrigue's courage leads him to conquer kingdoms.
5. In Act 2, Scene 1, Don Gomes believes the King overlooks his actions for what reason?
(a) His service as tutor to the King's son.
(b) His planned marriage to Chimene.
(c) His service as a warrior.
(d) His planned marriage to the Infanta.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 6, which two characters discuss the possible invasion of the kingdom?
2. In Act 2, Scene 2, Don Rodrigue is motivated by which emotion?
3. In Act 1, Scene 4, who metaphorically urges his sword to take revenge?
4. In the opinion of the King, who dishonors the King's judgment?
5. Which description best fits Don Rodrigue?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 5, how does the Infanta's fantasy foreshadow future events in the play?
2. In Act 4, Scene 1, when Chimene learns that Don Rodrigue is victorious in battle, she says that she joins the people of the kingdom in their celebration of his heroism, but still wants revenge on him for killing her father. Is she being honorable or stubborn?
3. Although Chimene loves Don Rodrigue, in Act 2, Scene 8 she begs the King to punish him for killing her father. Detail her arguments.
4. Why does Chimene vow to kill herself after Don Rodrigue dies?
5. In Act 2, Scene 3, what is the Infanta's advice to Chimene? Is this advice inspired by her sense of honor?
6. In Act 3, Scene 4, Chimene and Don Rodrigue both say that, without honor, they are not worthy of each other's love. However, if they each act as honor dictates, they must be enemies. How does a duel between Don Rodrigue and Don Sanche resolve this problem?
7. In Act 2, Scene 2, what does Don Rodrigue do, and is this action based on honor or love?
8. In Act 2, Scene 7, when the King learns of the death of Don Gomes, he says that justice is served. Why does he say this?
9. In Act 3, Scene 1, why do Don Rodrigue and Elvire hide from Chimene?
10. What does the sword represent, both in Act 1, Scene 5 and in Act 2, Scene 2?
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)