|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the King lie to Chimene?
(a) He wishes to test her love for Don Rodrigue.
(b) He wishes to test her love for Don Diegue.
(c) He wishes to test her love for Don Sanche.
(d) He wishes to help the Infanta.
2. In Act 5, Scene 7, who enters with the Infanta?
(a) Don Rodrigue.
(b) Don Arias.
(c) Don Diegue.
(d) Don Sanche.
3. At the end of Act 5, Scene 3, the Infanta wants to reassure Chimene by telling her what?
(a) That Don Rodrigue is dead.
(b) That Don Sanche is dead.
(c) That Don Sanche is hers.
(d) That Don Rodrigue is hers.
4. The soldiers, now gathered to defend the kingdom, originally come together for what purpose?
(a) To witness the duel between Don Rodrigue and Don Gomes.
(b) To fight to defend Don Diegue's honor.
(c) To fight to defend Don Gomes' honor.
(d) To attend the wedding of Don Rodrigue and Chimene.
5. The King orders which character to assume the title, role, and responsibilities of "Le Cid" at the end of the play?
(a) Don Arias.
(b) Don Rodrigue.
(c) Don Sanche.
(d) Don Diegue.
6. The imagined ghost is the likeness of which character?
(a) Don Gomes.
(b) Don Diegue.
(c) Don Alonse.
(d) Don Rodrigue.
7. Referring to "Le Cid", the King says not everyone who "does his duty" does so with such what?
8. In Act 5, Scene 5, who lays his sword at Chimene's feet?
(a) Don Sanche.
(b) Don Diegue.
(c) Don Arias.
(d) Don Rodrigue.
9. Why does Don Rodrigue feel remorseful?
(a) For failing to predict an invasion.
(b) For dishonoring the King.
(c) For driving Chimene away.
(d) For being clumsy in his duel.
10. Why does Chimene need to be saved from Don Sanche?
(a) If he wins the duel, Chimene must give him all her fortune.
(b) If he wins the duel, he kills Chimene.
(c) If he wins the duel, Chimene is dishonored.
(d) If he wins the duel, Chimene must marry him.
11. In Act 5, Scene 3, who suggests that the Infanta must find peace?
(b) The King.
12. At the beginning of Act 5, Scene 1, why does "Le Cid" expect to be defeated in the duel?
(a) He is weak, recovering from injuries suffered in battle.
(b) His opponent is a greater warrior.
(c) His opponent fights with honor on his side.
(d) He is prepared to die because Chimene desires his death.
13. What decision does Chimene say she does not have the right to make?
(a) To let Don Diegue live for the good of all.
(b) To let Don Diegue live because she loves him.
(c) To let Don Rodrigue live for the good of all.
(d) To let Don Rodrigue live because she loves him.
14. In Act 5, Scene 1, which two characters agree to duel for the hand of Chimene?
(a) Don Diegue and Don Arias.
(b) Don Arias and Don Rodrigue.
(c) Don Sanche and Don Diegue.
(d) Don Rodrigue and Don Sanche.
15. At the beginning of Act 3, Scene 5, what does Don Diegue do?
(a) He summons a messenger.
(b) He speaks with his son.
(c) He practices with his sword.
(d) He speaks in soliloquy.
Short Answer Questions
1. The King says that everything to do with whose death is forgotten?
2. In Act 4, Scene 2, what does Chimene urge the Infanta to do?
3. When Don Rodrigue enters in Act 3, Scene 5, what does Don Diegue believe?
4. Which character imagines he sees a ghost?
5. What does the King say to Chimene, following the duel?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)