|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character says there is no such thing as perfect happiness?
(a) Chimene's beloved.
(b) Chimene's father.
(c) The King's messenger.
(d) Don Rodrigue's father.
2. What is the meaning of "Le Cid"?
(a) The warrior.
(b) The prince.
(c) The victorious.
(d) The king.
3. Why does the Infanta say the King believes Don Gomes' glory as a warrior lives again?
(a) Don Rodrigue is victorious in battle.
(b) Don Gomes and his son are victorious in battle.
(c) Don Gomes is victorious in battle.
(d) Don Diegue is victorious in battle.
4. How many invading kings are captured?
5. In Act 5, Scene 3, the Infanta says she can never marry which character?
(a) Don Sanche.
(b) Don Diegue.
(c) The King.
(d) "Le Cid".
6. Leonor says Chimene chooses Don Sanche to fight for her in the duel for what reason?
(a) He is outmatched by Don Arias.
(b) He is outmatched by Don Rodrigue.
(c) He avenges the death of Chimene's father.
(d) He wins Chimene's hand in marriage.
7. The King orders which character to assume the title, role, and responsibilities of "Le Cid" at the end of the play?
(a) Don Diegue.
(b) Don Rodrigue.
(c) Don Sanche.
(d) Don Arias.
8. At the beginning of Act 5, Scene 1, why does "Le Cid" expect to be defeated in the duel?
(a) His opponent is a greater warrior.
(b) He is weak, recovering from injuries suffered in battle.
(c) He is prepared to die because Chimene desires his death.
(d) His opponent fights with honor on his side.
9. Chimene says her feelings echo those of the people in what way?
(a) She shares their joy and their faith in Don Rodrigue's strength and courage.
(b) She shares their joy and their faith in Don Diegue's strength and courage.
(c) She shares their fear and their faith in Don Rodrigue's resolve.
(d) She shares their fear and their faith in Don Diegue's resolve.
10. By the end of the soliloquy in Act 5, Scene 2, a character finally comes to accept what truth?
(a) Chimene does not want help from the Infanta.
(b) Don Rodrigue and Chimene are still in love.
(c) Don Rodrigue must be imprisoned.
(d) The kingdom is about to be invaded.
11. Referring to "Le Cid", the King says not everyone who "does his duty" does so with such what?
12. In Act 4, Scene 2, what does Chimene urge the Infanta to do?
(a) Prepare for another duel.
(b) Help with wedding plans.
(c) Be happy like everyone else.
(d) Be wary that the invasion may not be over.
13. The King says that, given the actions of "Le Cid", he treats Chimene in what manner?
(a) He imprisons her.
(b) He allows her to marry Don Sanche.
(c) He grants her request for revenge.
(d) He only listens to her politely, without intent to do as she asks.
14. In what way is this soliloquy in Act 5, Scene 2 similar to that of Don Rodrigue, in Act 1, Scene 6?
(a) Both contain plans to deceive other characters.
(b) Both are spoken in the company of other characters.
(c) Both contain regrets about unrequited love.
(d) Both are in verse.
15. In Act 5, Scene 7, who enters with the Infanta?
(a) Don Arias.
(b) Don Diegue.
(c) Don Rodrigue.
(d) Don Sanche.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Act 3, Scene 5, where do the two characters decide to go?
2. What lie does the King tell Chimene?
3. In Act 4, Scene 5, who accompanies Chimene to see the King?
4. Chimene says that if "Le Cid" dies in the duel, what quickly is forgotten?
5. In Act 5, Scene 5, who lays his sword at Chimene's feet?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)