|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Don Rodrigue feel remorseful?
(a) For being clumsy in his duel.
(b) For failing to predict an invasion.
(c) For dishonoring the King.
(d) For driving Chimene away.
2. The Infanta says Chimene should no longer pursue vengeance for what reason?
(a) Vengeance destroys Chimene's chance for true love.
(b) Vengeance means death to Chimene.
(c) Vengeance means death to the Infanta.
(d) Vengeance means danger and imminent destruction for the city.
3. In Act 5, Scene 3, who suggests that the Infanta must find peace?
(a) The King.
4. How many invading kings are captured?
5. Which character says he loves Chimene so much that her desire is his?
(a) Don Sanche.
(b) Don Arias.
(c) Don Diegue.
(d) Don Rodrigue.
6. What does "Le Cid" believe people say if he dies in the duel?
(a) He dies because he is the weaker opponent.
(b) He dies because his opponent is dishonorable.
(c) He dies because he is a coward.
(d) He dies for love.
7. According to "Le Cid", how does the battle ultimately end?
(a) Many of the invaders flee, and the battle ends because there is no one to fight.
(b) All of the invaders are killed.
(c) The invaders capture most of "Le Cid's" men.
(d) The invaders agreed to join "Le Cid's" army.
8. Why does Chimene need to be saved from Don Sanche?
(a) If he wins the duel, Chimene must give him all her fortune.
(b) If he wins the duel, he kills Chimene.
(c) If he wins the duel, Chimene is dishonored.
(d) If he wins the duel, Chimene must marry him.
9. In Act 5, Scene 1, Chimene says the boldness of which character costs her honor?
(a) Don Rodrigue.
(b) Don Sanche.
(c) Don Arias.
(d) Don Diegue.
10. In Act 4, Scene 4, what news does the messenger deliver?
(a) Chimene is on her way to forgive Don Diegue.
(b) Chimene is on her way to forgive "Le Cid".
(c) Chimene is on her way to kill "Le Cid".
(d) Chimene is on her way to plead for justice for her father.
11. At the end of Act 5, Scene 3, who does the Infanta ask to accompany her on a visit to Chimene?
(b) Don Rodrigue.
(d) Don Sanche.
12. Which character imagines he sees a ghost?
(a) Don Diegue.
(b) Don Alonse.
(c) Don Gomes.
(d) Don Rodrigue.
13. At the beginning of Act 3, Scene 5, what does Don Diegue do?
(a) He practices with his sword.
(b) He speaks with his son.
(c) He summons a messenger.
(d) He speaks in soliloquy.
14. By the end of the soliloquy in Act 5, Scene 2, a character finally comes to accept what truth?
(a) Don Rodrigue and Chimene are still in love.
(b) Don Rodrigue must be imprisoned.
(c) The kingdom is about to be invaded.
(d) Chimene does not want help from the Infanta.
15. At the end of Act 3, Scene 5, where do the two characters decide to go?
(a) To see the King.
(b) To fight a duel.
(c) To observe the invading ships.
(d) To see Chimene.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 4, Scene 1, which character says Don Rodrigue is afraid to appear before the King?
2. Who tells Chimene that the kingdom has successfully repelled the invaders?
3. Who is appointed to judge the duel between "Le Cid" and Don Sanche?
4. Who apologizes to the King for speaking rashly?
5. Why does the King lie to Chimene?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)