|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 4, Scene 1, which character says Don Rodrigue is afraid to appear before the King?
(a) The Infanta.
2. Why does Don Rodrigue feel remorseful?
(a) For being clumsy in his duel.
(b) For dishonoring the King.
(c) For driving Chimene away.
(d) For failing to predict an invasion.
3. What event must be postponed for one year?
(a) The imprisonment of Don Rodrigue.
(b) The wedding.
(c) The release of the defeated kings.
(d) The imprisonment of Don Sanche.
4. Why does the Infanta say the King believes Don Gomes' glory as a warrior lives again?
(a) Don Diegue is victorious in battle.
(b) Don Gomes and his son are victorious in battle.
(c) Don Rodrigue is victorious in battle.
(d) Don Gomes is victorious in battle.
5. Which character says there is no such thing as perfect happiness?
(a) The King's messenger.
(b) Chimene's father.
(c) Don Rodrigue's father.
(d) Chimene's beloved.
6. Who apologizes to the King for speaking rashly?
(b) Don Sanche.
(c) Don Rodrigue.
(d) The Infanta.
7. The soldiers, now gathered to defend the kingdom, originally come together for what purpose?
(a) To fight to defend Don Diegue's honor.
(b) To attend the wedding of Don Rodrigue and Chimene.
(c) To fight to defend Don Gomes' honor.
(d) To witness the duel between Don Rodrigue and Don Gomes.
8. Chimene is embarrassed when forced to admit what?
(a) She wants Don Arias to win her hand in the duel.
(b) She wants Don Diegue to win her hand in the duel.
(c) She wants Don Sanche to win her hand in the duel.
(d) She wants Don Rodrigue to win her hand in the duel.
9. Chimene says "Le Cid" should be as determined to defend his own honor as he is to defend what?
(a) The Infanta's honor.
(b) Chimene's honor.
(c) Don Gomes' honor.
(d) His father's honor.
10. At the beginning of Act 5, Scene 1, why does "Le Cid" expect to be defeated in the duel?
(a) His opponent fights with honor on his side.
(b) He is weak, recovering from injuries suffered in battle.
(c) His opponent is a greater warrior.
(d) He is prepared to die because Chimene desires his death.
11. The King says that, given the actions of "Le Cid", he treats Chimene in what manner?
(a) He allows her to marry Don Sanche.
(b) He grants her request for revenge.
(c) He imprisons her.
(d) He only listens to her politely, without intent to do as she asks.
12. Don Rodrigue says that it is dishonorable to be what?
(a) A violence-hungry soldier and an undutiful lover.
(b) A loyal suitor and an unskilled soldier.
(c) A man in love with two women.
(d) A traitor.
13. In Act 4, Scene 5, who accompanies Chimene to see the King?
(a) "Le Cid".
(c) Don Diegue.
(d) Don Sanche.
14. In Act 5, Scene 1, Chimene says the boldness of which character costs her honor?
(a) Don Arias.
(b) Don Diegue.
(c) Don Rodrigue.
(d) Don Sanche.
15. What do the soldiers want Don Rodrigue to do, according to Don Diegue?
(a) Lead them in battle.
(b) Fight another duel.
(c) Marry Chimene.
(d) Surrender to the King.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Act 5, Scene 3, the Infanta wants to reassure Chimene by telling her what?
2. By the end of the soliloquy in Act 5, Scene 2, a character finally comes to accept what truth?
3. Chimene says her feelings differ from those of the people in what way?
4. When the Infanta enters, in Act 4, Scene 2, what does she offer?
5. Who tells Chimene that the kingdom has successfully repelled the invaders?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)