|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Leonor says which character is outmatched in the duel?
(a) Don Arias.
(b) Don Sanche.
(c) "Le Cid".
(d) Don Rodrigue.
2. At the end of Act 5, Scene 3, the Infanta wants to reassure Chimene by telling her what?
(a) That Don Sanche is hers.
(b) That Don Rodrigue is hers.
(c) That Don Sanche is dead.
(d) That Don Rodrigue is dead.
3. When Don Rodrigue enters in Act 3, Scene 5, what does Don Diegue believe?
(a) That Don Rodrigue marries Chimene.
(b) That Don Rodrigue marries the Infanta.
(c) That Don Rodrigue plans to kill him.
(d) That he loses his mind.
4. By the end of Act 5, Scene 3, why does the Infanta say she no longer loves Don Rodrigue?
(a) Don Rodrigue still loves Chimene.
(b) She now loves Don Arias.
(c) She loves Don Sanche.
(d) Don Rodrigue surely loses in the duel.
5. Chimene says that if "Le Cid" dies in the duel, what quickly is forgotten?
(a) "Le Cid's" defeat in battle.
(b) "Le Cid's" cowardice.
(c) "Le Cid's" brilliant victory in battle.
(d) "Le Cid's" love for Chimene.
6. In Act 5, Scene 1, which character says he needs to see Chimene again before he dies?
(a) Don Rodrigue.
(b) Don Sanche.
(c) Don Arias.
(d) Don Diegue.
7. What does Don Diegue predict happens if Don Rodrigue is successful in battle?
(a) The King pardons him and the Infanta is his bride.
(b) The King appoints him as tutor for his son.
(c) The King reduces his time in prison.
(d) The King pardons him and Chimene no longer seeks revenge.
8. According to "Le Cid", how does the battle ultimately end?
(a) The invaders capture most of "Le Cid's" men.
(b) Many of the invaders flee, and the battle ends because there is no one to fight.
(c) The invaders agreed to join "Le Cid's" army.
(d) All of the invaders are killed.
9. What does Chimene fear more than the dishonor of her father's death not being avenged?
(a) Becoming Don Arias' wife.
(b) Becoming Don Diegue's wife.
(c) Becoming Don Rodrigue's wife.
(d) Becoming Don Sanche's wife.
10. The soldiers, now gathered to defend the kingdom, originally come together for what purpose?
(a) To fight to defend Don Diegue's honor.
(b) To fight to defend Don Gomes' honor.
(c) To witness the duel between Don Rodrigue and Don Gomes.
(d) To attend the wedding of Don Rodrigue and Chimene.
11. At the beginning of Act 3, Scene 5, what does Don Diegue do?
(a) He practices with his sword.
(b) He speaks with his son.
(c) He summons a messenger.
(d) He speaks in soliloquy.
12. At the end of Act 3, Scene 5, where do the two characters decide to go?
(a) To fight a duel.
(b) To see the King.
(c) To observe the invading ships.
(d) To see Chimene.
13. Chimene says her feelings echo those of the people in what way?
(a) She shares their fear and their faith in Don Diegue's resolve.
(b) She shares their fear and their faith in Don Rodrigue's resolve.
(c) She shares their joy and their faith in Don Rodrigue's strength and courage.
(d) She shares their joy and their faith in Don Diegue's strength and courage.
14. Which character imagines he sees a ghost?
(a) Don Diegue.
(b) Don Rodrigue.
(c) Don Gomes.
(d) Don Alonse.
15. What does the King say to Chimene, following the duel?
(a) Her honor is damaged, but her father is avenged and she can live happily with her beloved.
(b) Her honor is saved, but her father is not avenged and she can never marry.
(c) Her honor is saved, her father is avenged, and she can live happily with her beloved.
(d) Her honor is saved and her father is avenged, but she can never marry.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does "Le Cid" apologize to the King?
2. In Act 5, Scene 1, which two characters agree to duel for the hand of Chimene?
3. In Act 5, Scene 4, why does Chimene say she is unhappy no matter who wins the duel?
4. How many invading kings are captured?
5. Chimene is embarrassed when forced to admit what?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)