|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Don Rodrigue says that it is dishonorable to be what?
(a) A loyal suitor and an unskilled soldier.
(b) A violence-hungry soldier and an undutiful lover.
(c) A traitor.
(d) A man in love with two women.
2. What does the King say to Chimene, following the duel?
(a) Her honor is damaged, but her father is avenged and she can live happily with her beloved.
(b) Her honor is saved, her father is avenged, and she can live happily with her beloved.
(c) Her honor is saved, but her father is not avenged and she can never marry.
(d) Her honor is saved and her father is avenged, but she can never marry.
3. In Act 5, Scene 1, Chimene says the boldness of which character costs her honor?
(a) Don Diegue.
(b) Don Arias.
(c) Don Rodrigue.
(d) Don Sanche.
4. At the end of Act 3, Scene 5, where do the two characters decide to go?
(a) To fight a duel.
(b) To observe the invading ships.
(c) To see Chimene.
(d) To see the King.
5. What does "Le Cid" believe people say if he dies in the duel?
(a) He dies because he is the weaker opponent.
(b) He dies because his opponent is dishonorable.
(c) He dies for love.
(d) He dies because he is a coward.
6. According to the soliloquy in Act 5, Scene 2, what outlasts and transcends hate?
7. What does Don Diegue predict happens if Don Rodrigue is successful in battle?
(a) The King appoints him as tutor for his son.
(b) The King pardons him and Chimene no longer seeks revenge.
(c) The King reduces his time in prison.
(d) The King pardons him and the Infanta is his bride.
8. What event must be postponed for one year?
(a) The imprisonment of Don Sanche.
(b) The imprisonment of Don Rodrigue.
(c) The release of the defeated kings.
(d) The wedding.
9. In Act 5, Scene 1, which two characters agree to duel for the hand of Chimene?
(a) Don Sanche and Don Diegue.
(b) Don Arias and Don Rodrigue.
(c) Don Rodrigue and Don Sanche.
(d) Don Diegue and Don Arias.
10. What does Chimene fear more than the dishonor of her father's death not being avenged?
(a) Becoming Don Sanche's wife.
(b) Becoming Don Arias' wife.
(c) Becoming Don Rodrigue's wife.
(d) Becoming Don Diegue's wife.
11. The Infanta says she no longer loves Don Rodrigue, but instead loves who?
(a) Don Sanche.
(b) "Le Cid".
(c) Don Diegue.
(d) Don Arias.
12. Don Diegue says that Don Rodrigue equals the achievements of Don Diegue's whole lifetime with what?
(a) His first sword thrust.
(b) Earning the respect of the King.
(c) Earning the love of Chimene.
(d) His refusal to fight.
13. Why does the Infanta say the King believes Don Gomes' glory as a warrior lives again?
(a) Don Diegue is victorious in battle.
(b) Don Gomes and his son are victorious in battle.
(c) Don Gomes is victorious in battle.
(d) Don Rodrigue is victorious in battle.
14. What decision does Chimene say she does not have the right to make?
(a) To let Don Rodrigue live because she loves him.
(b) To let Don Diegue live because she loves him.
(c) To let Don Diegue live for the good of all.
(d) To let Don Rodrigue live for the good of all.
15. In Act 4, Scene 2, what does Chimene urge the Infanta to do?
(a) Prepare for another duel.
(b) Be wary that the invasion may not be over.
(c) Be happy like everyone else.
(d) Help with wedding plans.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chimene says that if "Le Cid" dies in the duel, what quickly is forgotten?
2. In Act 4, Scene 4, what news does the messenger deliver?
3. At the end of Act 5, Scene 3, the Infanta wants to reassure Chimene by telling her what?
4. For what does "Le Cid" apologize to the King?
5. Chimene says her feelings differ from those of the people in what way?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)