|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 4, Scene 3, who is now called "Le Cid", since the invaders are repelled?
(a) Don Arias
(b) Don Diegue.
(c) Don Rodrigue.
(d) Don Sanche.
2. The King says that, given the actions of "Le Cid", he treats Chimene in what manner?
(a) He allows her to marry Don Sanche.
(b) He imprisons her.
(c) He grants her request for revenge.
(d) He only listens to her politely, without intent to do as she asks.
3. How many invading kings are captured?
4. Don Diegue says that Don Rodrigue equals the achievements of Don Diegue's whole lifetime with what?
(a) Earning the love of Chimene.
(b) Earning the respect of the King.
(c) His first sword thrust.
(d) His refusal to fight.
5. What do the soldiers want Don Rodrigue to do, according to Don Diegue?
(a) Surrender to the King.
(b) Marry Chimene.
(c) Lead them in battle.
(d) Fight another duel.
6. What does "Le Cid" believe people say if he dies in the duel?
(a) He dies because he is a coward.
(b) He dies for love.
(c) He dies because he is the weaker opponent.
(d) He dies because his opponent is dishonorable.
7. Chimene says her feelings differ from those of the people in what way?
(a) She wants to cancel the duel.
(b) She wants to postpone the wedding.
(c) She still desires revenge.
(d) She doubts the victory is final.
8. What does Don Diegue predict happens if Don Rodrigue is successful in battle?
(a) The King reduces his time in prison.
(b) The King pardons him and Chimene no longer seeks revenge.
(c) The King pardons him and the Infanta is his bride.
(d) The King appoints him as tutor for his son.
9. What does Chimene fear more than the dishonor of her father's death not being avenged?
(a) Becoming Don Sanche's wife.
(b) Becoming Don Rodrigue's wife.
(c) Becoming Don Arias' wife.
(d) Becoming Don Diegue's wife.
10. In Act 5, Scene 1, which two characters agree to duel for the hand of Chimene?
(a) Don Sanche and Don Diegue.
(b) Don Arias and Don Rodrigue.
(c) Don Diegue and Don Arias.
(d) Don Rodrigue and Don Sanche.
11. What does the King say to Chimene, following the duel?
(a) Her honor is saved, but her father is not avenged and she can never marry.
(b) Her honor is saved and her father is avenged, but she can never marry.
(c) Her honor is damaged, but her father is avenged and she can live happily with her beloved.
(d) Her honor is saved, her father is avenged, and she can live happily with her beloved.
12. Chimene says her feelings echo those of the people in what way?
(a) She shares their joy and their faith in Don Rodrigue's strength and courage.
(b) She shares their fear and their faith in Don Diegue's resolve.
(c) She shares their fear and their faith in Don Rodrigue's resolve.
(d) She shares their joy and their faith in Don Diegue's strength and courage.
13. At the end of Act 5, Scene 3, the Infanta wants to reassure Chimene by telling her what?
(a) That Don Rodrigue is dead.
(b) That Don Sanche is dead.
(c) That Don Rodrigue is hers.
(d) That Don Sanche is hers.
14. According to "Le Cid", how does the battle ultimately end?
(a) The invaders capture most of "Le Cid's" men.
(b) The invaders agreed to join "Le Cid's" army.
(c) All of the invaders are killed.
(d) Many of the invaders flee, and the battle ends because there is no one to fight.
15. In Act 5, Scene 1, which character says he needs to see Chimene again before he dies?
(a) Don Arias.
(b) Don Rodrigue.
(c) Don Diegue.
(d) Don Sanche.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 5, Scene 7, who enters with the Infanta?
2. The imagined ghost is the likeness of which character?
3. In Act 5, Scene 4, why does Chimene say she is unhappy no matter who wins the duel?
4. By the end of the soliloquy in Act 5, Scene 2, a character finally comes to accept what truth?
5. What is the meaning of "Le Cid"?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)