Act 1, Scenes 1 and 2
• (Act 1, Scene 1) Chimene enters with her governess, Elvire, discussing the upcoming wedding between Chimene and Don Rodrigue.
• Chimene's father, Don Gomes, approves of the wedding.
• Chimene has two suitors: Don Rodrigue and Don Sanche.
• Chimene and Elvire believe that Chimene's father, Don Gomes, is appointed as tutor for the King's son.
• Chimene worries that soon great sorrow follows great joy.
• (Act 1, Scene 2) The Infanta, or Princess, enters with her governess, Leonor, and asks a messenger to summon Chimene.
• The Infanta encourages a relationship between Chimene and Don Rodrigue, even though the Infanta loves Don Rodrigue.
• The Infanta cannot act on her love for Don Rodrigue because he is of lower birth and marrying him would dishonor her family.
• A messenger tells the Infanta that Chimene is waiting in a nearby gallery.
• Alone, the Infanta prays for the restoration of her peace and honor, and for...
This section contains 2,736 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)