Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the city of orgies, according to Whitman's poem of the same name?
2. What color is the water in the poem, "In Cabin'd Ships at Sea," as it moves around the boat?
3. Whitman realizes he was still not happen when he heard _________ and was received well at the capitol.
4. Who does Whitman point out are subordinated at their tasks during "Calamus"?
5. Whitman calls the ostent evanescent the substances of a/an _________ mood or savan's studies long.
Short Essay Questions
1. What parts of the United States structure does Whitman have a lot of respect for?
2. Why does Whitman offer a tribute to a dandelion in one of his poems in this section of the book?
3. Where was Whitman born, and how does that place affect him?
4. What does Whitman wish he had the chance to do for the United States as it makes its impact in the world?
5. Why does the young man ring the ocean bell when he is steering the boat during the treacherous weather?
6. What is an endless source of inspiration for poetry, according to the poems which the poet has created?
7. What is so strange about the idea that Whitman is so fervently patriotic in the poems he has written? When was Whitman born in relation to the 'birth' of the United States?
8. What does Whitman point out that many people in the United States are hanging onto?
9. What was discussed in the conversation that Whitman had with the German spiritualist?
10. Whose philosophies does Whitman respect without any exceptions, according to the writing?
Essay Topic 1
The author also repeats the idea that one should live in the now rather than dwelling on the past or on the future.
Part 1: Why is it so important to live in the now, in the present time and place?
Part 2: Do you think you tend to live in the now or do you live in other time periods?
Part 3: What might be some obstacles to living in the now? What sorts of problems may this way of living cause?
Essay Topic 2
Whitman could be described as being appreciative of people, in all of their forms.
Part 1: Why do you think writers are so appreciative of people and their many forms?
Part 2: How do you think people are done a service by being described by poets and writers?
Part 3: Do you think people are the most important sources of inspiration for writers?
Essay Topic 3
The author is also sure that the wonderful United States is prosperous now, but that it will encounter a time of problems.
Part 1: Why do you think Whitman wants to point out that the U.S. is going to have troubles in the future?
Part 2: Do you think that Whitman was correct in his prediction?
Part 3: Why do you think Whitman wanted to discuss the idea of a possible unkind fate in the future?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)