|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the city of orgies, according to Whitman's poem of the same name?
2. What color is the water in the poem, "In Cabin'd Ships at Sea," as it moves around the boat?
3. Whitman realizes he was still not happen when he heard _________ and was received well at the capitol.
4. Who does Whitman point out are subordinated at their tasks during "Calamus"?
5. Whitman calls the ostent evanescent the substances of a/an _________ mood or savan's studies long.
Short Essay Questions
1. What parts of the United States structure does Whitman have a lot of respect for?
2. Why does Whitman offer a tribute to a dandelion in one of his poems in this section of the book?
3. Where was Whitman born, and how does that place affect him?
4. What does Whitman wish he had the chance to do for the United States as it makes its impact in the world?
5. Why does the young man ring the ocean bell when he is steering the boat during the treacherous weather?
6. What is an endless source of inspiration for poetry, according to the poems which the poet has created?
7. What is so strange about the idea that Whitman is so fervently patriotic in the poems he has written? When was Whitman born in relation to the 'birth' of the United States?
8. What does Whitman point out that many people in the United States are hanging onto?
9. What was discussed in the conversation that Whitman had with the German spiritualist?
10. Whose philosophies does Whitman respect without any exceptions, according to the writing?
Essay Topic 1
Whitman believes that no matter what science can uncover, the soul will supersede it.
Part 1: Why do you think Whitman believes the soul is the most important part of the world experience?
Part 2: Why can't science be bigger than the experience of the soul?
Part 3: How do you feel about the importance of the soul versus the importance of science?
Essay Topic 2
The author is also sure that the wonderful United States is prosperous now, but that it will encounter a time of problems.
Part 1: Why do you think Whitman wants to point out that the U.S. is going to have troubles in the future?
Part 2: Do you think that Whitman was correct in his prediction?
Part 3: Why do you think Whitman wanted to discuss the idea of a possible unkind fate in the future?
Essay Topic 3
The body is something which Whitman seems to worship as a part of his experience as being human.
Part 1: Why do you think Whitman is so fascinated with the human body?
Part 2: What are your feelings about the human body and whether it should be celebrated?
Part 3: Do you think that the human body is something which could be described as divine?
This section contains 1,963 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)