|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The combination of justice and God, according to Whitman, can be blended together to make an immortal ___________.
2. Who is the man that Whitman describes as being very cute, a man who is a made man from this day?
3. Who is sultry with perfumes, with ample and flowing garments, florid with blood, hot with passion?
(a) Mother Earth.
4. Whitman is clear that he is giving his spirit to ___________, though he does not mention him by name.
5. What is piercing through the storm, piercing and pealing as the storm rises up?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the one thing that Whitman says the President has not learned of during his life so far?
2. Whitman says that he is the sworn _______ of every dauntless rebel the world over, with songs of insurrection.
3. What causes the soldiers to fall into step and to arm themselves?
4. Who is in the curious trio with Whitman? This trio includes his _________ and his body, and himself.
5. Whitman writes that whatever satisfies ________ is true, according to one of his poems.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Whitman wish he had the chance to do for the United States as it makes its impact in the world?
2. Who are the phantoms to which Whitman refers in his poems about love being lost?
3. What does Whitman ask the soul to do in the poems about addressing the idea of mortality?
4. Why is it sad when one of the birds in a couple dies and the other one does not know it?
5. What is the lesson of the ebb of the ocean, according to the poem of Whitman?
6. What does Whitman point out happens no matter how many advancements science has made?
7. To whom does Whitman compare the country of old Ireland, in his poem to this land?
8. To whom does Whitman appear to give his spirit to, though this person is never mentioned by name in a poem?
9. What is an endless source of inspiration for poetry, according to the poems which the poet has created?
10. How does Whitman describe Paumanok in the spring when he writes the poem "Sea-Drift"?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)