|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The United States is seen as ________ with equality in the eyes of their mother, according to Whitman.
2. What is the powerful machine which is moving through the snow with its vapor-pennants tinged with delicate purple?
(a) Steam engine.
3. Who does Whitman say the person in the poem "Europe" was paid to do?
(a) Defile the People.
(b) Write the poems.
(c) Cross the water.
(d) Leave the land untouched.
4. Whitman writes that whatever satisfies ________ is true, according to one of his poems.
5. Whitman says that not a disembodied _________ can the weapons of tyrants let loose, but it stalks invisibly.
6. Though Whitman says he paints myriads of heads, he also says that he paints head without a ________.
(a) Golden nimbus of light.
(b) Green crown.
(d) Purple coloring.
7. Whitman appears to have some sort of connection to _________ and to prostitutes, trying to understand them.
8. What is the title of the poem which begins "forms, qualities, lives, humanity, language, thoughts...."?
9. What does Whitman say that he will expose when he runs his furrow with his plough and press his spade through the sod?
(a) Foul meat.
10. For how many years in Manhattan has Whitman watched the parades of soldiers through the city?
11. Whitman says that years of ____________ are transient and strange, though he says he too is one.
12. What does Whitman say that one should hold up sternly in order for it to send something back?
(a) Hand mirror.
13. What is piercing through the storm, piercing and pealing as the storm rises up?
14. What is the one thing that Whitman says the President has not learned of during his life so far?
15. What causes the soldiers to fall into step and to arm themselves?
(a) Drum taps.
(c) Drill sergeants.
Short Answer Questions
1. What occurs once at sunrise and once at sunset, according to Whitman as he describes nature?
2. At the time of freedom, the soul can emerge fully and ponder the _________ one loves best.
3. What is one of the things which keeps Whitman up late at night, though he needs no assurances?
4. Who does Whitman describe as sitting in the middle of the prison and causing a scene?
5. Who does Whitman say that he does not forget, not in the summer or in the winter?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)