|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Whitman want to kiss him, to touch him on the lips as he touches those he loves?
(a) His lover.
(b) A wave.
(c) His mother.
2. What does Whitman say was the year of struggle, the year when no dainty rhymes or sentimental loves verses were written?
3. When the child went forth, what happened to him every day? He became the ____________ he looked at.
(a) First thought.
(b) First object.
(c) First animal.
(d) First tear.
4. Whitman is clear that he is giving his spirit to ___________, though he does not mention him by name.
5. Where does Whitman stop in order to satisfy his curiosity about what is inside?
(a) The Congress.
(b) City Dead House.
(c) The Farm.
(d) The hospital.
6. Who is in the curious trio with Whitman? This trio includes his _________ and his body, and himself.
7. From the sea of ________, Whitman says that he will collect and bring a windrow drift of weeds and shells.
8. Who does Whitman say the person in the poem "Europe" was paid to do?
(a) Write the poems.
(b) Leave the land untouched.
(c) Cross the water.
(d) Defile the People.
9. What are the felons wearing when they come into the courtroom as Whitman watches them out of curiosity?
(a) Blue jump suits.
(d) Orange suits.
10. Whitman says that he is the sworn _______ of every dauntless rebel the world over, with songs of insurrection.
11. Who does Whitman beckon to toil on, to harvest the products even though they are not alone in the fields?
12. For what time of the year does Whitman write a warble, in the form of a poem for in the "Autumn Rivulets" section?
13. Whitman appears to have some sort of connection to _________ and to prostitutes, trying to understand them.
14. What color of hair does Whitman say that Ireland has now as she is changing from what she once was?
15. What is the title of the poem which begins "forms, qualities, lives, humanity, language, thoughts...."?
Short Answer Questions
1. What occurs once at sunrise and once at sunset, according to Whitman as he describes nature?
2. What does Whitman beckon to sound clearer in and through the atmosphere?
3. The child and her father are looking in the _____ at the autumn skin in "On the Beach at Night."
4. What is the one thing that Whitman says the President has not learned of during his life so far?
5. At what time of the day is the soul allowed to be most free, according to Whitman in his own findings?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)