|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whitman includes a series of poems which pertain to forms of education from questions posed to _______ to tests and judgement.
2. What will return as the ocean of life begins to ebb away from the shore, according to Whitman?
3. Whitman is clear that he is giving his spirit to ___________, though he does not mention him by name.
4. When Whitman sits and looks out into the world, he sees all the __________ and the agony without end.
5. What color is the halo in the sky, drooping upon the sea in the description of the water?
6. Whitman was seized by a spirit, held by an _________self out of the pride which causes him to utter poems.
7. Who does Whitman say the person in the poem "Europe" was paid to do?
(a) Defile the People.
(b) Cross the water.
(c) Leave the land untouched.
(d) Write the poems.
8. ___________ asks the soul to follow into an unknown territory without a guide and without a map.
9. Who does Whitman beckon to toil on, to harvest the products even though they are not alone in the fields?
10. What causes Whitman to wander noiselessly and to bend over other sleepers, wandering and confused?
(c) Nightly visions.
11. What does Whitman say was the year of struggle, the year when no dainty rhymes or sentimental loves verses were written?
12. Who does Whitman say that is is close with, murmuring alike reproachfully rolling sands and drift?
13. Who does Whitman describe as being lean and sinewy with muscular legs, thinly clothed, and well trained?
14. Who does Whitman want to kiss him, to touch him on the lips as he touches those he loves?
(b) His mother.
(c) A wave.
(d) His lover.
15. As people walk down the street, their ________ convey more than their words ever could, according to Whitman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What occurs once at sunrise and once at sunset, according to Whitman as he describes nature?
2. What is one of the things which keeps Whitman up late at night, though he needs no assurances?
3. What does Whitman say the man is now that he has tears in his face at the sight of the waters?
4. The United States is seen as ________ with equality in the eyes of their mother, according to Whitman.
5. Whitman says that he often looks up at the perfect __________ of the stars during walks in the night.
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)