|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the title of the poem which begins "forms, qualities, lives, humanity, language, thoughts...."?
2. Who is sultry with perfumes, with ample and flowing garments, florid with blood, hot with passion?
(c) Mother Earth.
3. Who asks Whitman to sing a song that no poet has yet to have chanted?
(a) A flower.
(c) The grass.
4. Though Whitman says he paints myriads of heads, he also says that he paints head without a ________.
(a) Green crown.
(c) Golden nimbus of light.
(d) Purple coloring.
5. What occurs once at sunrise and once at sunset, according to Whitman as he describes nature?
(b) A fading light.
(c) A brightening light.
(d) A musical call.
6. What does Whitman say was the year of struggle, the year when no dainty rhymes or sentimental loves verses were written?
7. What are the felons wearing when they come into the courtroom as Whitman watches them out of curiosity?
(a) Orange suits.
(c) Blue jump suits.
8. When the child went forth, what happened to him every day? He became the ____________ he looked at.
(a) First object.
(b) First tear.
(c) First thought.
(d) First animal.
9. Where does Whitman decide to merge with the crowd when they descend to the pavements?
(b) Ice rink.
10. What was Whitman's voice like when he sang late in the night, according to his writing?
11. The combination of justice and God, according to Whitman, can be blended together to make an immortal ___________.
12. Whitman includes a series of poems which pertain to forms of education from questions posed to _______ to tests and judgement.
13. Whitman says that not a disembodied _________ can the weapons of tyrants let loose, but it stalks invisibly.
14. At the time of freedom, the soul can emerge fully and ponder the _________ one loves best.
15. _________ sprouts push through the snow, helping to reveal the coming of Spring and of the month of March.
Short Answer Questions
1. As people walk down the street, their ________ convey more than their words ever could, according to Whitman.
2. Even those, Whitman says, that know unrequited ________ can sleep, as do prisoners.
3. For what time of the year does Whitman write a warble, in the form of a poem for in the "Autumn Rivulets" section?
4. What color is the halo in the sky, drooping upon the sea in the description of the water?
5. Who are the tan faced children who follow well in order and get their weapons ready?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)