|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one of the things which keeps Whitman up late at night, though he needs no assurances?
(a) Creative thoughts.
(d) Lost lovers.
2. For how many years in Manhattan has Whitman watched the parades of soldiers through the city?
3. Who does Whitman say that he does not forget, not in the summer or in the winter?
4. When Whitman sits and looks out into the world, he sees all the __________ and the agony without end.
5. Whitman is clear that he is giving his spirit to ___________, though he does not mention him by name.
6. What does Whitman beckon to sound clearer in and through the atmosphere?
7. What causes the soldiers to fall into step and to arm themselves?
(b) Drum taps.
(c) Drill sergeants.
8. What are the felons wearing when they come into the courtroom as Whitman watches them out of curiosity?
(a) Orange suits.
(d) Blue jump suits.
9. What was Whitman's voice like when he sang late in the night, according to his writing?
10. Who does Whitman say the person in the poem "Europe" was paid to do?
(a) Write the poems.
(b) Defile the People.
(c) Cross the water.
(d) Leave the land untouched.
11. Where does Whitman decide to merge with the crowd when they descend to the pavements?
(d) Ice rink.
12. Who does Whitman describe as being lean and sinewy with muscular legs, thinly clothed, and well trained?
13. The combination of justice and God, according to Whitman, can be blended together to make an immortal ___________.
14. Which is the ancient country which Whitman seems to think is progressing into the future, much in the same way as America?
15. What kind of birds fly together, interlocking their claws and beating their wings as one in the poem Whitman includes?
Short Answer Questions
1. When the child went forth, what happened to him every day? He became the ____________ he looked at.
2. What is the powerful machine which is moving through the snow with its vapor-pennants tinged with delicate purple?
3. ___________ are able to convey nature, enjoy materialism, become orators, and create from their own experiences.
4. Where is the good place in Boston where Whitman wants to see the show from in the morning?
5. Whitman writes that whatever satisfies ________ is true, according to one of his poems.
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)