|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the felons wearing when they come into the courtroom as Whitman watches them out of curiosity?
(b) Orange suits.
(c) Blue jump suits.
2. What does Whitman say the man is now that he has tears in his face at the sight of the waters?
3. Where does Whitman decide to merge with the crowd when they descend to the pavements?
(c) Ice rink.
4. Who asks Whitman to sing a song that no poet has yet to have chanted?
(c) The grass.
(d) A flower.
5. ___________ are able to convey nature, enjoy materialism, become orators, and create from their own experiences.
6. What does Whitman beckon to sound clearer in and through the atmosphere?
7. Who are the tan faced children who follow well in order and get their weapons ready?
(a) The Indians.
(b) The pioneers.
(d) His children.
8. What will return as the ocean of life begins to ebb away from the shore, according to Whitman?
9. What is the one thing that Whitman says the President has not learned of during his life so far?
10. What color is the halo in the sky, drooping upon the sea in the description of the water?
11. To whom is Whitman referring when he talks about the estuary which enlarges and spread itself grandly in the great sea?
(b) His father.
(c) Old age.
(d) His words.
12. ___________ asks the soul to follow into an unknown territory without a guide and without a map.
13. What does Whitman say that Ireland once was before she leaned and became tattered on the ground?
14. Who does Whitman say that is is close with, murmuring alike reproachfully rolling sands and drift?
15. The metaphor of __________ is used in relation to the plowman, tilling to life, while the harvester harvests in the end.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Whitman sits and looks out into the world, he sees all the __________ and the agony without end.
2. What causes the soldiers to fall into step and to arm themselves?
3. What does Whitman say was the year of struggle, the year when no dainty rhymes or sentimental loves verses were written?
4. Whitman says that not a disembodied _________ can the weapons of tyrants let loose, but it stalks invisibly.
5. Where does Whitman stop in order to satisfy his curiosity about what is inside?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)