|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the title of the poem which begins "forms, qualities, lives, humanity, language, thoughts...."?
2. Whitman says that he often looks up at the perfect __________ of the stars during walks in the night.
3. What is the one thing that Whitman says the President has not learned of during his life so far?
4. At what time of the day is the soul allowed to be most free, according to Whitman in his own findings?
5. What will return as the ocean of life begins to ebb away from the shore, according to Whitman?
6. Whitman was seized by a spirit, held by an _________self out of the pride which causes him to utter poems.
7. The child and her father are looking in the _____ at the autumn skin in "On the Beach at Night."
8. What kind of birds fly together, interlocking their claws and beating their wings as one in the poem Whitman includes?
9. The metaphor of __________ is used in relation to the plowman, tilling to life, while the harvester harvests in the end.
10. When Whitman talks about Christianity, with whom does he commiserate within his poems on the topic?
11. What was Whitman's voice like when he sang late in the night, according to his writing?
12. At the time of freedom, the soul can emerge fully and ponder the _________ one loves best.
13. What does Whitman say was the year of struggle, the year when no dainty rhymes or sentimental loves verses were written?
14. What color is the halo in the sky, drooping upon the sea in the description of the water?
15. Whitman says that years of ____________ are transient and strange, though he says he too is one.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Whitman beckon to sound clearer in and through the atmosphere?
2. ___________ asks the soul to follow into an unknown territory without a guide and without a map.
3. Who does Whitman describe as sitting in the middle of the prison and causing a scene?
4. Which is the ancient country which Whitman seems to think is progressing into the future, much in the same way as America?
5. The combination of justice and God, according to Whitman, can be blended together to make an immortal ___________.
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)