|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. ___________ asks the soul to follow into an unknown territory without a guide and without a map.
2. What does Whitman say that he will expose when he runs his furrow with his plough and press his spade through the sod?
(c) Foul meat.
3. Who is the man that Whitman describes as being very cute, a man who is a made man from this day?
4. Who asks Whitman to sing a song that no poet has yet to have chanted?
(c) A flower.
(d) The grass.
5. What color is the halo in the sky, drooping upon the sea in the description of the water?
6. What does Whitman say the man is now that he has tears in his face at the sight of the waters?
7. What is the title of the poem which begins "forms, qualities, lives, humanity, language, thoughts...."?
8. Where does Whitman decide to merge with the crowd when they descend to the pavements?
(c) Ice rink.
9. Even those, Whitman says, that know unrequited ________ can sleep, as do prisoners.
10. What do mediums convey when they arrive and they are successful in the United States, according to Whitman?
(a) Half truths.
11. Whitman asks in his poems who may have learned the ______________ of the lessons that he has to teach.
12. At the time of freedom, the soul can emerge fully and ponder the _________ one loves best.
13. The child and her father are looking in the _____ at the autumn skin in "On the Beach at Night."
14. For how many years in Manhattan has Whitman watched the parades of soldiers through the city?
15. What is piercing through the storm, piercing and pealing as the storm rises up?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is in the curious trio with Whitman? This trio includes his _________ and his body, and himself.
2. Who does Whitman beckon to toil on, to harvest the products even though they are not alone in the fields?
3. What song does Whitman hope they play as he is waiting for the show to begin in Boston?
4. What is the one thing that Whitman says the President has not learned of during his life so far?
5. Who is sultry with perfumes, with ample and flowing garments, florid with blood, hot with passion?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)