|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color is the halo in the sky, drooping upon the sea in the description of the water?
2. What is the powerful machine which is moving through the snow with its vapor-pennants tinged with delicate purple?
(d) Steam engine.
3. The metaphor of __________ is used in relation to the plowman, tilling to life, while the harvester harvests in the end.
4. To whom is Whitman referring when he talks about the estuary which enlarges and spread itself grandly in the great sea?
(a) Old age.
(b) His words.
(d) His father.
5. What is one of the things which keeps Whitman up late at night, though he needs no assurances?
(b) Lost lovers.
(d) Creative thoughts.
6. What song does Whitman hope they play as he is waiting for the show to begin in Boston?
(a) Yankee Doodle.
(c) O Pioneers.
(d) The Great Waltz.
7. Who does Whitman say that he does not forget, not in the summer or in the winter?
8. What will return as the ocean of life begins to ebb away from the shore, according to Whitman?
9. Whitman includes a series of poems which pertain to forms of education from questions posed to _______ to tests and judgement.
10. Whitman asks in his poems who may have learned the ______________ of the lessons that he has to teach.
11. Who does Whitman describe as being lean and sinewy with muscular legs, thinly clothed, and well trained?
12. What color of hair does Whitman say that Ireland has now as she is changing from what she once was?
13. Whitman appears to have some sort of connection to _________ and to prostitutes, trying to understand them.
14. Who does Whitman beckon to toil on, to harvest the products even though they are not alone in the fields?
15. Where is the good place in Boston where Whitman wants to see the show from in the morning?
(a) At the diner.
(b) At the church.
(c) At the corner.
(d) At the docks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whitman says that years of ____________ are transient and strange, though he says he too is one.
2. Whitman says that he is the sworn _______ of every dauntless rebel the world over, with songs of insurrection.
3. Though Whitman says he paints myriads of heads, he also says that he paints head without a ________.
4. The combination of justice and God, according to Whitman, can be blended together to make an immortal ___________.
5. The child and her father are looking in the _____ at the autumn skin in "On the Beach at Night."
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)