|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Whitman at the time of his writing his poems, noting this in his poems and that he is in good health?
2. What is the city of orgies, according to Whitman's poem of the same name?
3. Whitman says that he is not sure, but the high soul of lovers welcomes _______ most.
4. Whitman says he will make a true ________ which will earn for the body and mind whatever sticks and does not droop in death.
5. What kind of headsman stands mask'd, clothed in red, with huge legs and strong naked arms?
6. Whitman expresses that he knows the __________ does not know how longingly he looked at them.
(a) Blade of grass.
(c) Passing stranger.
(d) Old woman.
7. What sort of song does Whitman say he will sing in the sixth inscription of the book's opening?
8. The __________ has joy in inflating the chest, rolling the thunder of the voice, making the people rage, and leading America.
9. Whitman says that he was offering too long to feed his soul with __________, which was clearly not a good idea..
10. Whitman realizes he was still not happen when he heard _________ and was received well at the capitol.
(a) His name.
(c) His voice.
(d) His poem.
11. Who does Whitman not want to shut their proud doors to him, as stated in a poem of that same idea?
12. Which sort of bird caused Whitman to stop and open listen to it opening its throat and joyfully singing?
(c) Song dove.
13. Whitman is not only considering the idea of death, but also of chanting the chant of ___________.
14. Whitman addresses other countries who are striving to prove the puzzle of America, the athletic ______________.
15. Whitman raises a _____________ hand to all who he mentions in his poem, making the signal to remain after him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whitman proposes that grass is the ___________ of the Lord, when he contemplates it as a child.
2. Whitman believes that all heroic deeds were conceived in __________, as are all free poems.
3. "You furnish your parts toward eternity, Great or small, you furnish your parts toward the ________."
4. To what state does Whitman promise to know very well after traveling to it?
5. Where did Whitman say that he sat studying the older times of American? The feet of ___________.
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)