|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Sections 5-17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Whitman profess to folding in every leaf of his poetry in order to celebrate the sea?
(a) Sea serpents.
2. What is the city of orgies, according to Whitman's poem of the same name?
3. Whitman believes that all heroic deeds were conceived in __________, as are all free poems.
(a) The soul.
(c) The open air.
(d) God's hand.
4. Who does Whitman point out are subordinated at their tasks during "Calamus"?
(d) No one.
5. Whitman believes that the words of true ________ do not merely please those who read them.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what state did Whitman see the live-oak growing, and named a poem after this occurrence?
2. What are the terrible perturbations of the suns, swelling, collapsing, and ending?
3. To what state does Whitman promise to know very well after traveling to it?
4. What has been named with can not be countermanded in struggles and in wars?
5. Whitman ponders where he actually knows anything of his own ________ as he thinks about the biography of another.
This section contains 193 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)